Smogon University PO Statistics — October 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
hmmm, the more I think about it, the more I think this is not a thread to debate this in. I you two wish to continue, we may do so in private chat, and/or on my wall, or if it is fine to continue here, if a mod would be kind to say so, then I am more then willing to show you how with just the wee team support d-night needs, he is better then mence. However, I don't think either of us will budge so yeah, it might just be fruitless.

Things that are completely outclassed, can be kept in by bad players, look at Electivire in gen 4 OU.
"Oh look, a Gyarados! Better use my Electric- OH SHIT HE'S GOT AN EVIRE!"

That's how it worked. And then the opponent got swept if their Scarf Flygon/ Swampert is dead, or they didn't have one.

And what DID outclass Evire back in gen 4? Jolteon? Magnezone? Rotom? Zapdos? Wait a minute, they're all completely different from EVire! -.-

Evire wasn't that good. Having to rely on a 70 base power Stab move to sweep isn't as good as you make it sound. Apart from great coverage, he didn't have anything going for him.

And now we have team preview to pretty much make the Gyara-vire combo useless. You see them in the same team and you know your opponent is going to do.

I think we can already tell that by the very fact that Electivire is RU.

I'm not sure if it was everyone jumping onto the bandwagon that Electivire was shit, but imo it's a great BP recipient...

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
Lol.
Nothing outclassed Electivire in Gen 4, because there was no better physical-oriented electric type.
I don't care if you didn't like it, that's the cold hard truth.
Quit the anti-Electivire fad please.
This. The time has long since passed where hating on Electivire made you look like a good player. E-vire wasn't good at all, but its not the worst pokemon in the entire series.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
A shame that Electivire is among the many Pokémon who didn't get the stats their looks beg for. I mean, an electric troll should be more powerful. Look at the expression on its face, the muscles, the tails, never mind the colours...they all scream "I AM SCARY!", but the stats Game Freak gave it were labelled "mixed bag". It sure looks like it can punch through concrete and throw cars across soccer fields single-handed while powering a small metropolitan area with its tails, but I guess that fur really is there only for hiding a ridiculously slim frame and a hideous little head.

I've also always wondered why it didn't get Static. Now well, it might find a use in some later generation.

This. The time has long since passed where hating on Electivire made you look like a good player. E-vire wasn't good at all, but its not the worst pokemon in the entire series.
I agree. I'm soooooooooo tired of people whining about Electivire. It's got to the point where it's underrated, if anything.

I agree. I'm soooooooooo tired of people whining about Electivire. It's got to the point where it's underrated, if anything.
I think it's just the sheer disappointment. A Pokemon that can hit most the types super-effectively? Good God, it must be incredible! Then it turned out to be decent but not really great. Then people decided it'd be fun to bash on it.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Evire was never a great Pokemon, but the thing that really did him in was Platinum, which gave us Rotom-A. For all of his super effective coverage, he didn't have a move in his arsenal to threaten that thing, and it severely cut down on his chances to troll around with a Motor Drive boost. People laughed at him because it was the cool thing to do, but in reality, those are the breaks. A decent Pokemon was screwed over by significant metagame advances, and managed to keep up with the tier through sheer popularity.

It's a lot better than what happened to Dusknoir, who was actually pretty handy in Gen 4 OU, but ended up never being seen or heard from again. To this day, I have not seen anyone even attempt to use him in Gen 5 OU. Maybe a few times in UU.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
It's a lot better than what happened to Dusknoir, who was actually pretty handy in Gen 4 OU, but ended up never being seen or heard from again. To this day, I have not seen anyone even attempt to use him in Gen 5 OU. Maybe a few times in UU.
This is because he is totally outclassed by its Pre-Evo and Cofagrigus now in the its niche as a defensive spinblocker.

Its still not as sad as what happend to Umbreon who got ripped of its only trick this gen (i don't really know why its UU, Chansey is like a 100 times better as a supporter and Curse is meh)

Its still not as sad as what happend to Umbreon who got ripped of its only trick this gen (i don't really know why its UU, Chansey is like a 100 times better as a supporter and Curse is meh)
Yeah, Chansey pretty much 100% outclasses Umbreon. But who really wants to run the Pink Bitch?

In UU, Umbreon doesn't autolose to Mismagius and SubChandelure like how Chansey does, making it worth a team slot. It is also a better answer to Azelf.

This is because he is totally outclassed by its Pre-Evo and Cofagrigus now in the its niche as a defensive spinblocker.

Dusknoir actually has acceptable offenses and can so fill a different role than its pre-evo. For example, a SubPunch set can be used to lure and kill Tyranitar, while still doing a good job at defensive spinblocking.

I'm laughing as Quagsire gets 3% usage in OU, but yet is still RU, where it gets 3% usage too!
Yeah, it amuses me, too.

People think that just because a pokemon is NU means that it sucks and couldn't *possibly* compete in OU.

Maybe that kind of thinking made sense back in the days when DougJustDoug based all the tiers on OU usage, but not any more with the way we do things.

I wonder, with Swamper dropping, if it will see new life in UU? One would think that it would take over as a reliable stealth rocker, but I doubt anyone is taking that from Donphan soon.

I wonder, with Swamper dropping, if it will see new life in UU? One would think that it would take over as a reliable stealth rocker, but I doubt anyone is taking that from Donphan soon.
Swampert is OU and will continue to be OU for the next couple of months.

It's still too early to tell what will happen as UU will also undergo the same tier changes, meaning that Donphan may or may not be UU(it's also quite close to the OU cutoff iirc).

Well i'm seeing Dragonite in 9 of 10 teams in ladder, and probably Rotom-W will down in usage too. And i'm not seeing any sandstorm team in today battles, maybe sands down even more in usage D:

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think the rain mixed attacker set is really a great set. With hurricane, aqua tail, e speed, and roost with leftovers. Hit anything hard with hurricane or aqua tail and finish off the next turn with e speed. Great set.
Why wouldn't you run surf and thunder in those slots..... Mixed rain abuser is outclassed by pure special rain abuser. Although I guess rain boosted aqua tail can take on Blissey and Chansey, and Extremespeed can take on some scarfers and weakened Latios. But then why split the EVs and not just run Outrage over Hurricane?

Guys, just shut up about Dragonite being worse than Salamence. If it actually WAS, than it wouldn't be #1, and Salamence wouldn't be #31, now would it? Salamence has a few things going for it, but overall, Nite just outclasses it.

^Not really. They have different ninches imo. Salamence is a lot more threatening on Sand Teams and using a mixed set, while Nite is good on Rain teams and is a better DD Dancer/Tank. It's sorta like comparing Latios to Latias. They play similarly, but are different. (However, overall, I think Nite is better than Salamence is variety and usefulness).

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Latios vs. Latias was a great comparison, EpicTurtle. Latios is meant to go out there and kill things immediately, whereas Latias tanks hits and prolongs the game until she can get a full sweep going. Salamence and Dragonite are about the same way respectively, though it's interesting to see the contrast in both comparisons, where the more offensive Psychic Dragon is preferred on most teams, while the defensive counterpart of the Dragon/Flying brothers sees the most usage nowadays.

There are good reasons for all of these things, I'm certain, but like Latias, Salamence is nowhere close to stepping down from the big leagues and you'll almost invariably be scared shitless when you see him in battle. No amount of scrutiny can take away from his frightening offense, and his trademark ability to leave you down at least one Pokemon every match. Long-time Dragonite fans can celebrate their victory all they want, I'd be happy too if my favorite Pokemon spent most of its life overshadowed and downtrodden before suddenly fighting its way to the very top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)