Smogon Premier League 8: Doubles Discussion

I will keep this thread alive if I'm the only one posting in it. Welcome to SPL midseason pickups Dad1, Croven, Mizu, Finally, TFC and Nido Rus!

Week 5 looks a bit different than the previous weeks with these new faces:

finally vs I Am a Rookie
Biosci vs DaAwesomeDude1
SamVGC vs Braverius
Memoric vs MajorBowman
Stax vs KyleCole

Excited to see Dad1 debut and see if Finally is back to his old forme.
finally vs I Am a Rookie
Biosc
i vs DaAwesomeDude1
SamVGC vs Braverius
Stax
vs KyleCole

emma

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
DPL Champion
AYEEEEEEEE DAD1

finally vs I Am a Rookie - 40 / 60 - Chase is on a roll while finally is just getting into the meta. Will be close and exciting.
Biosci vs DaAwesomeDude1 - 65 / 35 - Heart says dad1, mind says 3-1 player w/ loads of experience.
SamVGC vs Braverius - 55 / 45 - Sam follows me on Twitter :toast:
Memoric vs MajorBowman - 55 / 45 - I'm feeling Bowman will come back after his previous two losses but I'm least confident about this one.
Stax vs KyleCole - 60 / 40 - Definitely think Stax is still one of the best players in the tour, despite the 2-2 record.

kaori

Fully Automated Gay Space Communism
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Week 7 is up, lots of familiar faces mixed with quite a few new ones, leave some predicts imo

SM DOU: Frania vs njnp - excited to see what njnp brings with a full week of prep but frania has played far more dou
SM DOU: Braverius vs Biosci - already happened
SM DOU: finally vs Stax - highlight of the week, lookin forward to it
SM DOU: SamVGC vs TheFourthChaser - kimo more like freemo am i right
SM DOU: DaAwesomeDude1 vs miltankmilk - spl debuts usually aren't pretty but should be a good one

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Frania vs njnp - frania has the advantage by a long shot but I think njnp has the capability to pull this off, after his play from last week; as long as he can learn the meta itself in time, this should be a great battle
finally vs Stax - go finally!
SamVGC vs Freemo Nishiloser
DaAwesomeDude1 vs miltankmilk - predicting him to finally bring Miltank to a serious game and struggle early but get a lucky crit midgame and ride it to victory

Sorry ablast but it would be my first and last career SPL game if I bring miltank D:

Predicts:
SM DOU: Frania vs njnp - My heart says NJNP and I think he can really do it, Frania's pretty lucky and more experienced tho so I'll make the safe choice. If NJNP really preps though counterstyling Frania is not the tallest task in the world and could work out
SM DOU: Braverius vs Biosci - Something tells me Biosci is gonna bring some hot nicknames and checks to diancie and mega stoise.
SM DOU: finally vs Stax - Stax doesn't lose 2 in a row like ever, I've really liked finally's builds tho so it could go either way for sure
SM DOU: SamVGC vs TheFourthChaser - Sam has been on a roll lately and got kind of unlucky last week, expecting him to bounce back

Biosci

Danger!?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SCL Champion
SM DOU: Nido-rus vs I Am a Rookie
SM DOU: SamVGC vs finally
SM DOU: Croven vs Braverius
SM DOU: DaAwesomeDude1 vs njnp
SM DOU: MajorBowman vs Biosci

Matches for this week. Ruiners keep cycling out players, and Raiders looking like they're giving Stax a break until playoffs maybe. Main season is wrapping up next week so games are gonna start having a lot more weight. Lots of pressure to win for everyone, except maybe Croven vs Braverius. GL Everyone

finally

how can you swallow so much sleep?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
how are the midseason pickups doing after 3 weeks of fighting?
so far dad1 is 1-2, and he has brought somewhat odd teams in mega gyarados and whimsicott. it looks like dad1 has shaken off the nerves of his spl debut, and he's going into what many assume to be an easy weak against the mysterious njnp (who pulled an upset victory week 7).
although not a midseason pickup, miltankmilk was subbed in for majorbowman week 7 and won his spl debut game. unfortunately we won't get to see any miltankmilk in week 8 because majorbowman was put back in, but from his debut game miltankmilk showed strong mechanics and game sense.
also technically not midseason pickups, these 3 players bought at the beginning of spl all had their debuts week 7 in doubles spl: frania, TFC, and njnp. The most interesting out of the 3 has to be njnp because the Cryonicles' doubles player KyleCole fell off the face of the pokemon world and njnp was thrown into the fire as a sub. The young rookie is showing promise as he is 1-1 so far. In week 8, we'll get to see him fight another newcomer in dad1 and see if njnp has gathered up enough doubles knowledge and instinct to pull the win off against the more established dad1.
This upcoming week 8 we will get to see Croven's (sub for stax raiders) debut and Nido-rus' (sub for memoric and frania ruiners) debut, and i'm excited to see if they'll be able to overcome their nerves. Because of the raiders guaranteed spot in playoffs, hopefully Croven won't have too much pressure on his mind and he can focus on the game. We'll also get to witness nido-rus' legendary timezone johning, made even more confusing with daylights savings day coming up.

and finally, there's ya boi finally. after playing for the ruiners in spl 6, finally took a break from pokemon for spl 7 to become a hearthstone connoisseur. after learning that hearthstone has more rng than our beloved game of pokemon, finally stormed the scene and impressed the falcons management with his (slightly rusty) skills. oft described as "lucky 'n good", finally showed the lucky parts in his 1st and 3rd games against iamarookie and stax respectively. currently the falcon is at 3-0 and is feeling "jive as fuck".

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)