Metagame SM PU Alpha (playable on PS!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akir

A true villain!
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
So I've been meaning to make this post for a while and I wanted to echo the sentiments of Mango Smoothie to say that I am shocked that there isn't more Abomasnow on the ladder. I don't want this to be a long post so I will be brief-ish.

Abomasnow-F_XY.gif

Abomasnow @ Icy Rock
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard / Leech Seed

So the comparison to be made is between Abomasnow and Aurorus. Aurorus is marginally stronger and bulkier, and has access to better utility like Stealth Rock. A Normal resist is not bad either, and access to moves like Earth Power rounds out coverage nicely. Aurorus has a lot of good things going for it and it deserves to be used, but Abomasnow also has a lot going for it.

Abomasnow's additional Grass typing instead of Rock has a decent amount of advantages. Due to bulky Waters being popular at the moment (need to check Typhlosion and also Electrics are easy to prep for thanks to immunities like Piloswine and Lanturn), having a setter that can reliably switch in on Lanturn and Gastrodon is an asset to any team in general. Abomasnow's access to Giga Drain means that even though Aurorus is bulkier Abomasnow has more longevity since it can heal itself. Abomasnow is also capable of reliably running a mixed set with Earthquake to pressure threats like AV mons and Magmortar, who can fairly reliably switch in otherwise. Ice Shard is also beneficial to revenge kill things in general, like Scyther, or ease the Trick Room matchup by revenge killing Exeggutor-Alola...and priority is never a bad thing to have. Leech Seed is also a decent option for chip damage and frankly, a setup mon with both Aurora Veil and Leech Seed is a terror to face. Abomasnow also ties with the base 60 Speed benchmark instead of always falling short like Aurorus. Abomasnow is well-suited for hail teams that are looking for more defensive synergy and want to play a longer, more consistent, game.

The tl;dr is this: Aurorus is good, but Abomasnow is also. I have yet to see this thing on the ladder at all, even with hail teams being everywhere, and that strikes me as people just using Aurorus out of reflex and not evaluating their options enough. So try Abomasnow. He's a cool guy.

Last edited:

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned deucer.
I don't know if what speed tiers it needs to outrun but I really think most of the time it'd have preferred more bulk or attack(ice shard) than speed but You probally just can't win with EVs on it

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Minor set dump boyz

Abomasnow @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Blizzard
- Earthquake
- Energy Ball
- Ice Shard / Focus Blast / Brick Break / Rock Slide
I started using this because I remembered it as an NU set from last gen or something, it's something like Scarf Rampardos where you're essentially using it as another offensive mon that happens to be fast rather than a revenge killer. It's specifically nice because 1. offensive Grass/Water check that does really well at pivoting into most of them / threatening them out and 2. Ice resists aren't the most common or easy to fit and they're generally either frail or bulky water types which don't like taking an Energy Ball. Blizzard is a stupidly spammable move in a metagame where the most common Steel is Ferroseed which is gonna take like 35-40% with hail up and the most common Fire-types are offensive ones like Typhlosion and Magmortar that prefer to stay healthy. EQ and Energy Ball are self explanatory but I never really clicked the last slot. Ice Shard is emergency priority for things like Lilligant and Ninjask, Brick Break cuz Veil is stupid, Focus Blast OHKOs Pyroar and Tauros, Rock Slide KOs offensive Zard with 1 turn of Hail most of the time but is weaker than Blizzard vs. Scyther.
The downsides are that this hits 360 speed so you're 1 speed point slower than +speed 115s- that means you lose to Cincinno, Floatzel, Alolan Persian, Zebstrika, Electrode, and Ninjask. Also it's not impossible to abuse you being locked into a move with certain scary mons- Lilligant likes Eball/EQ, Klinklang sets up nicely, Barbaracle doesn't take too much from Blizzard, stuff like that.
lycanroc.gif

Lycanroc @ Rockium Z
Ability: Steadfast
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Accelerock
- Brick Break / Fire Fang
112 Speed and Continental Crush is stronk af. This thing is just pretty solid in a massively water/fighting infested metagame and I'm scared to imagine it in some potential future where Quagsire and the rest of its very small list of defensive checks are gone. I'll just let calcs speak for this guy.
+2 252 Atk Lycanroc Continental Crush (180 BP) vs. 96 HP / 0 Def Poliwrath: 281-331 (81.4 - 95.9%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Lycanroc Continental Crush (180 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Hariyama: 404-476 (94.1 - 110.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252 Atk Lycanroc Continental Crush (180 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Granbull: 349-412 (91.1 - 107.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252 Atk Lycanroc Continental Crush (180 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Qwilfish: 322-381 (96.4 - 114%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Lycanroc Continental Crush (180 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Golurk: 324-381 (101.2 - 119%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Lycanroc Continental Crush (180 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Golurk: 324-381 (84.8 - 99.7%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Lycanroc Continental Crush (180 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Regirock: 292-345 (80.2 - 94.7%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Lycanroc Continental Crush (180 BP) vs. 240 HP / 252+ Def Musharna: 432-508 (99.7 - 117.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

006.gif

Charizard @ Firium Z
Ability: Blaze
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Roost
- Earthquake
Z-Sunny Day and Z-Celebrate and bulky Acro SD are all good, this is just another alternative that also hits like a truck. I don't wanna talk about it too much, basically what you get over the alternatives is one ridiculous nuke to break through everything not named Quagsire or Regirock. Yeah this one loses to Quagsire unlike Z-Sunny Day (or special Z-Celebrate?) and that's lame, but for everything else it functions quite nicely both in a sweeping role and as another offensive mon that you can use to switch into something, maybe drop the z-blitz nuke early, roost up and save it for later while having more offensive presence than bulky acrozard. I have a feeling Charizard's going to just keep getting better and better as we work on more creative sets if it manages to stay PU, and this is one fun set.
210.gif

Granbull @ Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake
- Close Combat
Most Fighting switchins are really passive. Sableye, Shiinotic, Togetic, Vileplume, and defensive Granbull. This is a really fun option if you don't want to lose a bunch of momentum switching your Fighting resist into Knock Off and repeated Close Combats over and over until it finally gets worn down. The loss of bulk and longevity is definitely noticeable, but we don't really have any other strong wallbreakers (and this guy is quite strong) that also have this kind of defensive utility at the moment. Luring things like Ferroseed is also amazing, Fire Punch is a surprisingly spammable move since nobody leaves the Fighting-type in on Granbull and most of them get KOd at -2 by CB Fire Punch anyway. So despite this being a lot easier to bust through with things like SD Gallade or Scyther or whatever, it probably does the most consistent work of any one set I've used. Honestly it makes me want to try LO SF Mawile but with Fire Fang, but that isn't a Fighting switch so w/e

Feels like I haven't posted in a while so I'm going to drop so stuff i've been using on the ladder recently.

Manectric @ Electrium Z
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower / Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Hidden Power [Grass]
- Thunderbolt / Thunder

This is a really cool set that can bop a lot specially bulky 'soft checks' that think they can switch in on Manectric such as Rest Talk Malamar, Gurdurr and Hitmonchan etc. One thing to note is timing your Gigavolt Havoc correctly so they don't pivot into their electric immune on the Z-move although a lot of electric immunes and switch ins can be threatened with Flamethrower and Hidden Power respectively.

Oricorio-Sensu @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Dancer
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Revelation Dance

Just like in Spec PU, this mon is still very good at being a nuisance and cleaning up teams. Hurricane+Revelation Dance provide near perfect neutral coverage with HP Fighting being able to hit Steel types like Pawniard, Aggron and Probopass super effectively. This bird is good at being able to revenge things like Lilligant and collect free Quiver Dances if it decides to boost and spamming Hurricane under Rain is fun too.

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam
- Rain Dance

Speaking about Rain this guy is the face of the playstyle. Rain boosted Hydro Pumps are very hard to switch into, even 2HKO'ing the likes of Audino and to top that off STAB super effective Giga Drain for opposing Water Types and Ice beam for Grass/Dragon types. The ability to self-set rain and heal off damage with Giga Drain just adds to how hard this mon is to deal with, especially for opposing offensive teams.

Last edited:
Hello! I come from the land of Underused. Our tier sucks right now so I started playing this and whaddya know it's pretty fun. Cynde already made his post about Flame Orb Yama so use that too, it's busted as hell.

First off, this:

Musharna @ Psychium Z / Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 176 HP / 252 Def / 80 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Stored Power
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight
- Heal Bell / Barrier

This thing is pretty dumb, imo. Sets up pretty easily against a lot of the tier and is pretty hard to quickly overwhelm with offensive mons. I've been liking Psychium Z as Stored Power turns into a 160 base power Shattered Psyche, which is stronger than regular Stored Power up to +3/+3. Heal Bell invalidates just about any defensive pokemon or team that lacks Dark-typing, while Barrier can make this thing nigh unkillable without Toxic or aforementioned Dark-type. I saw a couple of Trick Room teams running around on ladder which I struggled against originally and ended up taking an L or two. Changing Mushy to min speed makes it 6-0 most Trick Rooms at preview which is always fun since they usually end up trying to take the opportunity to set it up vs Musharna or something else that could be taken as passive. Also is fun to watch stuff like Barbaracle try to set up in the face of +1/+1 Musharna to overwhelm it and watching them fall over to a 160 base power move that they weren't expecting. Overall, insanely hard to break for offense and even able to set up vs a lot of defensive mons easily. PLEASE throw this thing out of the tier asap.

Scyther @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Technician
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Aerial Ace
- Pursuit / Brick Break / Bug Bite
- Knock Off

I read through (most of) the thread (correct me if I'm wrong) and was very surprised to not see anything concerning this. It's an amazing revenge killer, able to kill a bunch of super dangerous stuff like Jynx, Malamar (BROKEN), Haunter, Lilligant, Alolan Raichu, Turtonator, Typhlosion (after rocks and a bit of chip), and even stuff like Modest Ludicolos under rain and Floatzel. Techincian-boosted Aerial Ace is great neutral stab and is great for cleaning up offensive teams. Pursuit trapping is usually really nice as there's a ton of viable ghost-types that can get picked off pretty easily, especially with the Technican boost. Brick Break is also a really good option as it plows through Aurora Veil cores of Aurorus and Alolan Sandslash (which Scarf Scyther outspeeds under hail and breaks Veil!). Bug Bite is good as it lets you pressure Musharna harder but I have yet to use it myself. Knock Off is always a solid move to spam, and lets it chip away at its own checks (stuff like Regirock, Mawile, and Aggron) pretty easily with repeated U-turns later in the game. Super solid mon for a ton of teams. If you haven't given it a try already, I'd highly recommend you do so.

Hitmonchan @ Lum Berry
Ability: Iron Fist
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Rapid Spin
- Foresight

Allow me to preface this by saying: Sableye is really, really annoying. Being able to spin vs Sableye Spikes teams is great since they usually blank most forms of hazard removal with relative ease. This set lets it beat Sableye up, and sure they can probably just throw in their Qwilfish or something and start the whole cycle again, but having the ability to actually clear a ton of hazards off your field is usually fine in a desperate situation. Also funny to see this thing stop Aurora Veil offenses cold when they don't run a spinblocker (do that), and as such taking a lot of pressure of your team without the threat of Veil and Stealth Rock. Not having Ice Punch can be kinda lame at times, but this set can really come through if you really need to get rocks off for Scyther/Charzard/Typhlosion.

Silvally @ Normalium Z
Ability: RKS System
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Double-Edge
- Flame Charge
- Crunch

The best way to run Silvally, imo. This set got a bit of hype in pre-UUPL SM UU, in theory being able to smack a lot of bulky physical walls like Hippowdon with a 200 base power Z-move (Explosion), while being able to beat Scizor via Flame Charge. In PU I've found it can afford to run Dark-coverage instead, and Z-Double Edge has 190 base power anyway, so I rarely find myself missing out on the 10 extra power. Silvally can power through a variety of defensive mons like Musharna and Qwilfish with ease and then run through the offensive threats with a speed boost under its belt. Admittedly, Sableye is a huge prick for this set, which mean Silvally will pretty much never sweep any team with it as long as it's around. Good with Scarf Scyther as well imo, they can pressure a lot of similar checks they share through Scyther's Knock Off, as well as Silvally being able to force a ton of damage on stuff like Regirock and Ferroseed. Run an Offensive Dark-type or something which can take advantage of Sableye at the very least. Extra hazards are always welcome with this set as well.

Shiftry @ Yache Berry / Chople Berry / Life Orb / Z-crystal of choice
Ability: Chlorophyll
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Giga Drain
- Dark Pulse
- Hurricane

Said Dark-type I like using with Silvally. Takes advantage of Sableye and some common Grounds and bulky Waters. Being immune to Prankster lets it shit on Sableye as well as beating non-signal beam Musharna which is typically great for any offensive team. Nasty Plot with Giga Drain lets it smack some stuff around while keeping itself relatively healthy (though Swords Dance is completely viable and probably overall superior to this set). Hurricane lets it blow through Hariyama, Hitmonchan, and Vileplume, while also letting it punish Scythers harder for switching in. Life Orb or Z-crystals are probably the best overall items Shiftry could be holding, though I've found that versions of the team I've been using with this set has an extremely hard time switching into Golurk, and Yache or Chople allows me to avoid the pressure for at least a couple turns (Chople also has the added effect of making you harder to revenge kill with Hitmonchan). Also brings with it a good surprise factor, as this is usually the last set anyone would expect Shiftry to be running when they see it at team preview. Shiftry is not that common to begin with at the moment, so a lot of teams that rely on passive defensive backbones with Audino, Sableye, Qwilfish and the like often find themselves not prepping well for this.

Rapture

I got so much time today
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I've been laddering the past few days and really been liking the tier since it reminds me of oras nu, so I'd thought i would drop a team that's been serving me well, getting me 1300~ on the ladder so far.

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Giga Drain
- Rain Dance

Scyther @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Bug Bite
- Aerial Ace

Skuntank @ Black Sludge
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 112 HP / 252 SpA / 144 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Fire Blast
- Acid Spray
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Defog

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 200 SpD / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Fake Out
- Bullet Punch

Piloswine @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 228 HP / 252 Atk / 28 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Psychic
- Signal Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Ice Beam

First off we standard ludicolo which helps in the offense matchup while doubling as a wallbreaker since not many defensive mons can handle the coverage ludi possesses. Scarf scyther follows as one of my favorite sets to use in the tier since it catches so many players off guard and makes for a very effective cleaner once the opposing team is weakened. an emergency check to z happy hour malamar is also a useful purpose it serves. I'd venture to say it's the most effective scyther set atm with how well it's served me in games. next we have special defog skunk. In a tier wo/ rhydon or lix it has a much easier time using black sludge over shuca which rly helps it stick around during a game due to the passive recovery it acquires while stalemating with mons like vileplume. next up we have av guts yama which serves the same purpose as it did in oras between baiting wisp users while serving as an effective fire and ice check in a pinch. Piloswine is an amazing hazard setter between its ability to check wallbreakers like tauros and scyther and fare decently well vs defog mons like toge and skunk. finally we have in my opinion the most broken mon in the tier rn, mesprit. colbur helps to check knock off users like malamar and gurdurr while acting as a very effective wallbreaker due to the vast amount of coverage options it possesses.

hope you all enjoy the team ~

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've been laddering the past few days and really been liking the tier since it reminds me of oras nu, so I'd thought i would drop a team that's been serving me well, getting me 1300~ on the ladder so far.

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Giga Drain
- Rain Dance

Scyther @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Bug Bite
- Aerial Ace

Skuntank @ Black Sludge
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Acid Spray
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Defog

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Fake Out
- Bullet Punch

Piloswine @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Signal Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Ice Beam

First off we standard ludicolo which helps in the offense matchup while doubling as a wallbreaker since not many defensive mons can handle the coverage ludi possesses. Scarf scyther follows as one of my favorite sets to use in the tier since it catches so many players off guard and makes for a very effective cleaner once the opposing team is weakened. an emergency check to z happy hour malamar is also a useful purpose it serves. I'd venture to say it's the most effective scyther set atm with how well it's served me in games. next we have special defog skunk. In a tier wo/ rhydon or lix it has a much easier time using black sludge over shuca which rly helps it stick around during a game due to the passive recovery it acquires while stalemating with mons like vileplume. next up we have av guts yama which serves the same purpose as it did in oras between baiting wisp users while serving as an effective fire and ice check in a pinch. Piloswine is an amazing hazard setter between its ability to check wallbreakers like tauros and scyther and fare decently well vs defog mons like toge and skunk. finally we have in my opinion the most broken mon in the tier rn, mesprit. colbur helps to check knock off users like malamar and gurdurr while acting as a very effective wallbreaker due to the vast amount of coverage options it possesses.

Minor thing- your team lacks a Z-move and I found a decent amount of success with Waterium-Z Ludicolo. Pros: 1v1s Ferroseed much better, Hydro's accuracy isn't as much of a factor, one-time nuke is pretty good for random stuff like Musharna if you couldn't feasibly weaken them before setting up Rain Dance. Cons: mildly weaker in a way I didn't find too noticeable.

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Giga Drain
- Rain Dance

Scyther @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Bug Bite
- Aerial Ace

Skuntank @ Black Sludge
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Acid Spray
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Defog

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Fake Out
- Bullet Punch

Piloswine @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Signal Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Ice Beam

Tauros, Cincinno, Bando Stoutland all give this team a ton of trouble. How do you manage normal/flying mons with 3 mons weak to flying and no normal resists?
Edit: Swanna is a huge prob

Last edited:
So I'm sure you've seen me on the ladder laddering on alts whether you realize it or not, and since everyone else was posting teams, I wanted to post a team of my own that I've had a fair amount of success with thus far.
(couldn't find a Silvally image unfort bc I'm bad but w/e)

Typhlosion @ Firium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
Modest Nature
- Sunny Day
- Eruption
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast

Lanturn @ Assault Vest
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 132 SpD / 124 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Shiftry @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Defog

Golem @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

Gallade @ Choice Band
Ability: Justified
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Zen Headbutt
- Knock Off
- Trick

Silvally-Fairy @ Fairy Memory
Adamant Nature
- Multi-Attack
- Parting Shot
- Toxic
- Swords Dance

• So first I chose Typhlosion. However, I wasn't gonna settle for the boring Specs set that everyone uses. After looking a bit into sets, I found this gem of a set: Z-Sunny Day. For those who're unaware, Z-Sunny Day boosts your speed by +1 and along with the Sun boost, it turns Typhlosion into a terrifying wallbreaker and potential late-game cleaner in one turn. Of course, this means that you need to time when you use Z-Sunny Day and make sure you get the most out of it which is the only problem with this set, but a good player should know when the time is right to Z-Sunny Day. Of course, if you don't need the speed boost, you can alternatively just save the Z-Move to fire off a one-time nuke in Z-Eruption. Overall underrated Typh set atm and a really fun one too.

• Next, I wanted a switch-in to Fire-types since Fire-types are naturally one of the only things that can switch into Eruption with impunity. I also wanted something that could last throughout the match if I needed it to. Hariyama and Lanturn were 2 natural candidates for this role, and I ended up going with AV Lanturn for its combination of good natural bulk, momentum with Volt Switch, ability to deal with a lot of common switch-ins to Typhlosion, and completing the second part of the FWG core.

• My next choice in Shiftry comes from the fact that it not only provides hazard control for Typh, but it completes the FWG and can deal with Gastrodon and Quagsire, 2 mons that the others on this team thus far don't want any business dealing will really, although they'll die to Typh Solarbeam but it's not like you wanna keep Typh in vs these mons till it gets going anyways. I decided to go with a more Physically Orientated Mixed set to contrast my last 2 mons on the team, and with the combination of Knock and Sucker it can threaten a lot of mons and play mind games with them. Leaf Storm compliments this well as the last move as it can deal a shit ton of damage to targets with lower Special Defense.

• Now I wanted a rocker to help wear down some answers, mostly Fire-types that were weak to rocks to make it easier on Typhlosion in the late game to not have to risk using Focus Blast so much if it doesn't need to. At first, I had Piloswine in this slot as an offensive rocker. However, after looking at the team a bit, I realized that Normal-types could easily take advantage of the team in its current state, so I switched it out for Golem and it's definitely proved its worth. Golem kinda glues the team together through its role compression on the team as a Normal- and Flying-type check in one slot as well as being a rocks setter. WP helps because it deters mons from generally clicking a SE move and lets you get up rocks often very easily knowing this.

• Now looking at the team, I kinda wanted to also try to complete the Psychic-Fighting-Dark core due to the fact that I had Shiftry on the team. Gallade was my pick here due to being both Psychic and Fighting, which is already a blessing for it in a tier brimming with Fighting-types to take advantage of. I decided to go with Band on this team as it further expands on the wallbreaking power that the team currently possessed, being able to cripple a mon with Trick or Knock Off is great as well, especially crippling like a Togetic or something.

• Lastly, I wanted a more reliable check to Fighting-types as well as a decent Malamar check. Silvally-Fairy, although it has a slightly weird set here, fit the bill for this. Multi-Attack is my only move, and I feel that this is all it really needs to function and do what it needs to. Parting Shot works well in general with the team, allowing something like Typhlosion or Gallade in for almost free depending on how it's used. Toxic, while fairly weird on this set, allows Silvally to catch something on the switch-in that would otherwise want to try to take it on and at the least makes it easier to wear some switch-ins down over the course of the match. I didn't really know what I wanted in the last slot so I just went with SD incase it got an opportunity to set it up and deal some damage to the opposing team. I went with Adamant over Jolly because it picks up the KO on Hariyama and I just find that the power of Adamant is better than the Speed from Jolly on this team.
So yeah that's the team, of course you can always feel free to rate it if you find a problem with it and/or want to suggest a change that you think would benefit the team but this is a really fun team and I encourage you to try it at least. :)

Jynx @ Normalium Z
Ability: Dry Skin
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Nasty Plot
- Lovely Kiss

Liepard @ Dread Plate
Ability: Limber
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off / Encore
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- U-turn

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 Atk / 212 SpD / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Fake Out
- Bullet Punch

Kabutops @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Rapid Spin
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

Vileplume @ Black Sludge
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis

Piloswine @ Eviolite
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Stealth Rock

So, I decided that I wanted to hold a workshop, as I'm a big fan of these. I feel like they're good for new players to join, and see how some more skilled players build. For this workshop we decided to build around Z-Lovely Kiss Jynx.
  • Jynx was the mon we wanted to build around. We decided on Z-Lovely Kiss because it's a great sweeper in the late-game with Z-Lovely Kiss boosting it's speed by 2 and putting your opponent to sleep then setting up a Nasty Plot. (provided you don't miss, but 75% chance are pretty good odds)
  • Liepard was added because Jynx loves pursuit support to weaken mons it can't normally kill without a bit of chip damage. Such as Bronzor and Metang which then allows it to destroy most stall. Liepard can also bluff being locked into a move like Knock Off with the Dread Plate and proceed to U-turn out or even Sucker Punch faster threats. Encore is also an option over Sucker Punch to help verse set-up mons, but the team is very weak to Alolan-Raichu so I believe Sucker is better.
  • Hariyama was added to provide Jynx a solid fire answer and an overall good special-type blanket check to a lot of mons in the metagame such as Typhlosion. Hariyama also threatens steel and rock types which Jynx hates playing against. The 44 speed allow to you to outspeed other Hariyama and uninvested base 55's
  • Kabutops provides the team a solid revenge killer and secondary fire check it mainly helps to revenge kill Scyther, Oricorios, and Charizard to name a few. Superpower is nice for a stronger option to hit steel types.
  • Vileplume was our answer to fighting and water types which proved to be very annoying to the team. Moonblast was necessary to have a chance to 2HKO Gurdurr and Malamar a bit harder. Vileplume also gives us a switchin to most bulky ground types.
  • Piloswine was our final mon and added because we were missing rocks and an electric resist. This can also tank a hit from Scyther and weaken it with Icicle Crash / Ice Shard. The 16 extra base speed helps you outspeed other uninvested base 50's and anything trying to creep you.
Overall, this was a very fun experience and I was satisified on how the team turned out. Special thanks to The Jungle Fox for helping a ton and Slowbroth for creating the room and allowing me to host!

Jynx @ Normalium Z
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Nasty Plot
- Lovely Kiss

Liepard @ Dread Plate
Ability: Limber
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off / Encore
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- U-turn

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Fake Out
- Bullet Punch

Kabutops @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Rapid Spin
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

Vileplume @ Black Sludge
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis

Piloswine @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Stealth Rock

So, I decided that I wanted to hold a workshop, as I'm a big fan of these. I feel like they're good for new players to join, and see how some more skilled players build. For this workshop we decided to build around Z-Lovely Kiss Jynx.
  • Jynx was the mon we wanted to build around. We decided on Z-Lovely Kiss because it's a great sweeper in the late-game with Z-Lovely Kiss boosting it's speed by 2 and putting your opponent to sleep then setting up a Nasty Plot. (provided you don't miss, but 75% chance are pretty good odds)
  • Liepard was added because Jynx loves pursuit support to weaken mons it can't normally kill without a bit of chip damage. Such as Bronzor and Metang which then allows it to destroy most stall. Liepard can also bluff being locked into a move like Knock Off with the Dread Plate and proceed to U-turn out or even Sucker Punch faster threats. Encore is also an option over Sucker Punch to help verse set-up mons, but the team is very weak to Alolan-Raichu so I believe Sucker is better.
  • Hariyama was added to provide Jynx a solid fire answer and an overall good special-type blanket check to a lot of mons in the metagame such as Typhlosion. Hariyama also threatens steel and rock types which Jynx hates playing against. The 44 speed allow to you to outspeed other Hariyama and uninvested base 55's
  • Kabutops provides the team a solid revenge killer and secondary fire check it mainly helps to revenge kill Scyther, Oricorios, and Charizard to name a few. Superpower is nice for a stronger option to hit steel types.
  • Vileplume was our answer to fighting and water types which proved to be very annoying to the team. Moonblast was necessary to have a chance to 2HKO Gurdurr and Malamar a bit harder. Vileplume also gives us a switchin to most bulky ground types.
  • Piloswine was our final mon and added because we were missing rocks and an electric resist. This can also tank a hit from Scyther and weaken it with Icicle Crash / Ice Shard. The 16 extra base speed helps you outspeed other uninvested base 50's and anything trying to creep you.
Overall, this was a very fun experience and I was satisified on how the team turned out. Special thanks to The Jungle Fox for helping a ton and Slowbroth for creating the room and allowing me to host!

Yeah so far this team is great. I've only done a few matches with it, but it's definitely pretty solid for ladder. I feel like the main threats are scarfed scyther and kilnklang, but there are answers within the team so you just have to play the game and preserve your answers. Also the jynx set is just straight fire. Nice workshop, and thanks for all the insight into teambuilding

So I'm sure you've seen me on the ladder laddering on alts whether you realize it or not, and since everyone else was posting teams, I wanted to post a team of my own that I've had a fair amount of success with thus far.
(couldn't find a Silvally image unfort bc I'm bad but w/e)

Typhlosion @ Firium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
Modest Nature
- Sunny Day
- Eruption
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast

Lanturn @ Assault Vest
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 132 SpD / 124 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Shiftry @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Defog

Golem @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Sturdy
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

Gallade @ Choice Band
Ability: Justified
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Zen Headbutt
- Knock Off
- Trick

Silvally-Fairy @ Fairy Memory
Adamant Nature
- Multi-Attack
- Parting Shot
- Toxic
- Swords Dance

• So first I chose Typhlosion. However, I wasn't gonna settle for the boring Specs set that everyone uses. After looking a bit into sets, I found this gem of a set: Z-Sunny Day. For those who're unaware, Z-Sunny Day boosts your speed by +1 and along with the Sun boost, it turns Typhlosion into a terrifying wallbreaker and potential late-game cleaner in one turn. Of course, this means that you need to time when you use Z-Sunny Day and make sure you get the most out of it which is the only problem with this set, but a good player should know when the time is right to Z-Sunny Day. Of course, if you don't need the speed boost, you can alternatively just save the Z-Move to fire off a one-time nuke in Z-Eruption. Overall underrated Typh set atm and a really fun one too.

• Next, I wanted a switch-in to Fire-types since Fire-types are naturally one of the only things that can switch into Eruption with impunity. I also wanted something that could last throughout the match if I needed it to. Hariyama and Lanturn were 2 natural candidates for this role, and I ended up going with AV Lanturn for its combination of good natural bulk, momentum with Volt Switch, ability to deal with a lot of common switch-ins to Typhlosion, and completing the second part of the FWG core.

• My next choice in Shiftry comes from the fact that it not only provides hazard control for Typh, but it completes the FWG and can deal with Gastrodon and Quagsire, 2 mons that the others on this team thus far don't want any business dealing will really, although they'll die to Typh Solarbeam but it's not like you wanna keep Typh in vs these mons till it gets going anyways. I decided to go with a more Physically Orientated Mixed set to contrast my last 2 mons on the team, and with the combination of Knock and Sucker it can threaten a lot of mons and play mind games with them. Leaf Storm compliments this well as the last move as it can deal a shit ton of damage to targets with lower Special Defense.

• Now I wanted a rocker to help wear down some answers, mostly Fire-types that were weak to rocks to make it easier on Typhlosion in the late game to not have to risk using Focus Blast so much if it doesn't need to. At first, I had Piloswine in this slot as an offensive rocker. However, after looking at the team a bit, I realized that Normal-types could easily take advantage of the team in its current state, so I switched it out for Golem and it's definitely proved its worth. Golem kinda glues the team together through its role compression on the team as a Normal- and Flying-type check in one slot as well as being a rocks setter. WP helps because it deters mons from generally clicking a SE move and lets you get up rocks often very easily knowing this.

• Now looking at the team, I kinda wanted to also try to complete the Psychic-Fighting-Dark core due to the fact that I had Shiftry on the team. Gallade was my pick here due to being both Psychic and Fighting, which is already a blessing for it in a tier brimming with Fighting-types to take advantage of. I decided to go with Band on this team as it further expands on the wallbreaking power that the team currently possessed, being able to cripple a mon with Trick or Knock Off is great as well, especially crippling like a Togetic or something.

• Lastly, I wanted a more reliable check to Fighting-types as well as a decent Malamar check. Silvally-Fairy, although it has a slightly weird set here, fit the bill for this. Multi-Attack is my only move, and I feel that this is all it really needs to function and do what it needs to. Parting Shot works well in general with the team, allowing something like Typhlosion or Gallade in for almost free depending on how it's used. Toxic, while fairly weird on this set, allows Silvally to catch something on the switch-in that would otherwise want to try to take it on and at the least makes it easier to wear some switch-ins down over the course of the match. I didn't really know what I wanted in the last slot so I just went with SD incase it got an opportunity to set it up and deal some damage to the opposing team. I went with Adamant over Jolly because it picks up the KO on Hariyama and I just find that the power of Adamant is better than the Speed from Jolly on this team.
So yeah that's the team, of course you can always feel free to rate it if you find a problem with it and/or want to suggest a change that you think would benefit the team but this is a really fun team and I encourage you to try it at least. :)
Hey, cool team! i really like Silvally-Fairy in this meta because its great at checking fighting types and Malamar.There is a couple of things id like to point out, first of all i'd go Fire Blast > Eruption on that Typhlosion set because you're not always going to be at a high amount of hp especially because of rocks and the turn it takes you to set up. Also, all of your mons are grounded including pivots and Shiftry is your defogger making you pretty weak to spikes since Shiftry can't pressure Ferroseed too well. Another problem is that you lack any sort of revenge killer because your mons are too slow. To fix both of these problems you could change Gallade to Hitmonchan and add some sort of revenge killer in Shiftry's place e.g. Scarf Scyther, This gives you a Barbaracle check in Hitmonchan and a good way to revenge Lilligant. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
PenguinAssault-
Hey guys
! I just wanted to expand on iRebel's post about the team that was workshopped. I have been using it throughout the day and I have a ton of comments on it of what works and what doesn't work so hope I can give some good advice!

Okay so as it stands, the team itself is pretty offense orientated. In a meta of PU Alpha where weather is not only common but also superior, a non-weather offense team should look to boost it's viability by setting up 1 or 2 win-cons for the match, by taking smart matchups and picking good pivots. So far, I think the team shines when it is against other balanced teams, weather, webs, and some cases of pseudo-stall if you play it right.

THE TEAM:

Jynx @ Normalium Z
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Nasty Plot
- Lovely Kiss

Liepard @ Dread Plate
Ability: Prankster
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Encore/Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- U-turn

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Fake Out
- Bullet Punch

Kabutops @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Rapid Spin
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

Vileplume @ Black Sludge
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power Fire
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis

Piloswine @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Icicle Spear
- Ice Shard
- Stealth Rock

OKAY LET'S GET DOWN TO IT

Basically, the team works as follows:
  • Piloswine is usually our dedicated lead, providing stealth rock support along with an useful focus sash breaking move in Icicle Spear. The ability is it's saving grace, being able to effectively body any ice attack, and resist most fire attacks from weaker mons. However, Piloswine does not have to be the lead if you see them setting up rocks or going for a set up with a mon. Piloswine is usually also our pivot into Eviolite scyther, as well as into grass/flying types.

• Next up is Liepard. This thing is an absolute monster if played right, and can single-handedly take out set-up sweepers/weather abusers/and hazards. By using priority encore, many mons are stuck setting up and thus effectively shut down, which then you can U-Turn or Knock off after. Liepard is also used as our dedicated psychic soak if we can predict it, as well as a pursuit trapper which pairs extremely well with Jynx and Hariyama. Liepard can be used to pivot into Beeheyem, Mesprit (watch out for u-turn though), Set-Up mons, Aurora veil users and all of those. While not bulky, if you see something like a Barbaracle shell smashing, you go hard Liepard and encore that rock-monster.

• Hariyama is here to stay in PU hopefully, and he is one big powerhouse. On top of having two great abilities, Hariyama's stats are nothing to laugh at. With incredible HP and Attack, this thing hits like a truck while maintaining a bit of bulk along the way. Pair this with the assault vest and you can easily soak in Ice/Fire/Electric/Grass special attackers with ease, thanks to Thick Fat for the former two types. With 2 priority moves, Hariyama is a great revenge killer with rocks up, and can utilize it's stab Close Combat for a OHKO on most things that don't resist it. Seriously do the calcs, this thing is a monster, and should be used as not only the main defensive pivot, but also as a fighting check.

• The bread and butter of this team: Jynx. Z moves certainly gave this pokemon a Xurkitree-esqe feeling with Lovely Kiss boosting it's already impressive speed by 1 stat. If you can land it, Jynx uses Nasty Plot and boasts it's great special attack onto the opponent. We use psyshock to deal with special walls and ice beam to deal with physical, and the two moves combined have pretty nice coverage. A note for jynx is it's horrible 35 base defense. It will die to anything--even a Rapid Spin will deal decent damage to it. To avoid this, make sure to not be scared of pivoting early and often even with the boosts, as Jynx is our late game cleaner, and can be a good water switch if you are absolutely sure they are using a water move with Dry Skin.

• Ahhh, fossil pokemon. They've always seemed to be moderately strong in whatever tier they are in (lol rip carracosta), and the same goes for this Rock/Water Type. Kabutops on this team utilizes the ability swift swim over weak armor to counter Rain teams, as this offense team has a bit of a problem with them. Kabutops is our offense choice scarfed rapid spinner, and he definitely puts in work. Kabutops can be used to revenge kill easy targets that are not expecting it, and the Waterfall/Stone Miss Edge/SP coverage really helps Kabutops hit anything it wants too really hard. Usually this thing scores about 1 kill at least, but make sure to try to pivot it if they have multiple hazard setters or if they are keeping it in the back, as you want to be able to get rid of them as soon as possible.

• Finally, we have our good old flower Vileplume. Speaking of which, I found a shiny Vileplume in ORAS and it was probably the best day of my life. Anyway, Vileplume is our answer to multiple threats in the PU Alpha Metagame. Quaq is nothing but an ant to Plume, and Plume also answers many toxic stall teams, as well as Defensive walls. Audino can't touch it. Vileplume should run HP Fire over either Giga Drain or Sludge Bomb to deal with Ferroseed and Klinklang in my opinion, and Moonblast is mandatory. Vileplume also serves as a bulky pivot to the numerous fighting types in the PU metagame as well as ground and water.

Sorry for the long post, but hope I explained the team pretty well. Basically everything checks each other while still maintaining a decent lead on hazard setting and offensive pressure, especially against other balance or offense matches. Some key pokemon to look out for are Typhlosion, Klinklang, CS Scyther, and Tauros as they match up very well against the team. Also nickname "suggestions" are mandatory, don't lie those are straight fire nicknames. Hopefully the team makes sense, and go easy on me since this is my first real post. Criticism and everything else is appreciated, and I hope you all have a great day :p

Finally: some replays of the team in action during ladder play/tournaments if anyone is interested:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pualpha-606555638

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pualpha-606558140

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pualpha-606590929

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pualpha-606718498

Last edited:
I'm back with an interesting new set that i have been playing around with!

Offensive Steelium-Z D-Dance Altaria

Altaria @ Steelium Z
Ability: Natural Cure
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Iron Tail

I came up with this set a while ago to lure D-Dance Alts switchins like Fairy- and Ice-types. At +1 this set can successfully OHKO offensive threats such as and Regice with Corkscrew Crash. This set mainly requires 2 boosts aswell as Stealth Rock support to successfully OHKO defensive threats such as C/M Clefairy, Togetic, and Avalugg, however even without Stealth Rock support this set still has a good chance to OHKO Pokemon such as Togetic at +2.
+1 252+ Atk Altaria Corkscrew Crash (180 BP) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Regice: 430-506 (118.4 - 139.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO.
+2 252+ Atk Altaria Corkscrew Crash (180 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Clefairy: 420-496 (122 - 144.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO.
+2 252+ Atk Altaria Corkscrew Crash (180 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Togetic: 306-362 (97.4 - 115.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock.
+2 252+ Atk Altaria Corkscrew Crash (180 BP) vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Avalugg: 334-394 (84.9 - 100.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock.
+2 252+ Atk Altaria Corkscrew Crash (180 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Togetic: 306-362 (97.4 - 115.2%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO.

Last edited:

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Been a while, so imma post 2 sets I've been testing out:

Guzzlord @ Assault Vest
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 196 SpD / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb

Mainly when it came to sponging special hits from stuff like Typhlosion/Magmortar/etc my go to mon was always AV Thick Fat Hariyama, but i've did some testing with AV Guzzlord and it tanks hits just as well bar better thanks to being a fire resist that doesn't mind being burned. The EV spread itself isn't finalized, but at the very least you wanna be outspeeding uninvested base 50s such as Mawile so you don't get bopped by a Play Rough. Choice Specs is also an option over AV, but i like the versatility to switch up moves. EQ can also go over Fire Blast to dent AV Magmortar although this makes you unable to do much stuff like Mawile and Ferroseed becomes a bit more problematic. Onto another set I've been loving so far:

Haunter @ Ghostium Z
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Reflect Type

I've loved using Haunter back to the days of early XY as an offensive spinblocker for my hazard stack teams, but the prominance of Skuntank in this meta was becoming a pain for my teams to deal with which led me to use SubWisp sets that still lose to Lum Berry variants of Skuntank. Hence the beauty of Reflect Type which allows Haunter to copy Skuntank's typing and proceed to avoid losing to Pursuit and Sucker Punch whereas HP Ground has a good chance to 2HKO Skuntank with some prior damage plus Ghostium Z is very nice to bluff a potential scarf variant by using this on slower or weakened threats to pick them off, and it also plays mind games with Sucker Punch Dark types like Liepard (even Pawniard to a lesser degree).

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
There has been a lot of hype around (obviously) some of the best mons like, malamar and sawk etc, but I've noticed there are quite a few top mons which have barely been spoken about.

This has had some talk about it, but its absolutely nowhere on the ladder despite being one of the best checks to fighting-types and more, and still being a very threatening sweeper. Obviously the surge in Dark-types, particularly Skunktank, is quite annoying and it can no longer use BP to get past certain Pursuit users, but I don't think CM sets are too annoyed by having to run a coverage move. By the looks of it, CM has two options, either Z-Dazzling gleam (twinkle tackle (◕‿◕✿)) or Colbur Berry with either signal beam or gleam. After a CM boost, Z-Dazzle will always OHKO Sableye and does 84% min to Malamar, while threatening Skuntank as unboosted it should do about 50% to offensive sets (though obviously skuntank remains a big threat regardless of set). Additionally, with a Z item most Knock Off users (including liepard, malamar, and CB sawk) dont come close to 2HKOing. However, Musharna does seem a lot scarier in paper than in practise, as without lefties strong physical wallbreakers doing about 30-40% force it to moonlight, which it only has 8pp of, and both Skuntank and bulky Scyther can counter it. Regardless this should get more hype just due to how much it can take on, and even defensive sets can be used which provide a ton of utility (like hwish or healbell).

Again, I haven't seen much of it but using it a lot it has been amazing. High physical defense can let it take on plenty of physical attackers like Lycanrock (best offensive switch in imo), Tauros, and Barbaracle, and it can even comfortably like hits like CB Sawk's close combat and attempt to heal off with Drain Punch. Knock Off and Mach Punch are amazing utility, as plenty of its checks rely on eviolite/dont have recovery otherwise (granbull, togetic etc) and Mach Punch helps revenge kill the smashers and fast normal pokes. Gurdurr's flaws are more noticeable however, reliance on Drain Punch for recovery means you dont want to switch into hits which you just avoid the 2HKO from, Qwilphish abuses it, and its special defense is a huge let down meaning fast psychics are a big stop to it potentially sweeping. Despite this, it can reliably do a lot in any matchup aside from stall, even if it is just to stomach hits or absorb burns, and I really think it deserves more usage than its getting.

I think in general Normal-types have been forgotten about, and though Zangoose is getting more traction, Tauros, Cinncinno, Pyroar, and Kangaskhan are all amazing mons which deserve more attention. I've been using Kangaskhan a lot despite not seeing it, and its really living up to what I expected. Fake out aka muh free damage is very nice when it comes from a strong Pokemon, as not only does it allow kanga to RK a lot when paired with Sucker Punch, but stalling out turns is very nice now everyone is spamming trick room and aurora veil. Double Edge hits like a truck, comparable to Tauros' Rock Climb, but kangaskhan in addition to great priority, has very nice bulk which often lets it tank a hit from fast offensive mons like Mespirit. Unfortunately it can be quite underwhelming at times, as it doesn't wallbreak as well as you wish (recoil isn't worth LO so silk scarf is the best item) and its priority can be a bit underwhelming at times, however Ive found it works best using its bulk in order to pressure offensive mons, as they either have to sack themselves to put kanga in a revenge killable range or let something take a powerful double edge.

There are still quite a few more Pokemon which need more hype, or pretty much haven't been used at all (electavire kek) but I think from this alpha its quite obvious what is good and what is clearly broken (seriously fuck aurora veil).

You are so right about Musharna, it's one of the best bulky sweepers I've tried so far. Dark and Steel-types give it problems, but luckikly there are plenty of Fighting types that can help out with that - Hariyama, Sawk & Gurdurr to name just three. This is the set I've been running:

Musharna @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Moonlight
- Barrier

After a few boosts, this thing is damn near impossible to take down. Calm Mind boosts your special attack and special defence, letting Musharna sweep. Stored Power gets STAB, and gains 40 BP for every boost. Moonlight keeps Musharna healthy. Barrier boosts its defence, making it virtually impossible to break without super effective hits. It also gives Stored Power another 40 BP with every use, letting it quickly become extremely powerful. EVs maximise physical bulk - as Calm Mind boosts Special Attack and Special Defence, they don't need investment. You could run Psyshock instead of Stored Power, as that hits harder with less than 2 boosts. You could also run Dazzling Gleam instead of Barrier if you desire the coverage, or Heal Bell if you need a cleric.

Here's a replay of it in action

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pualpha-607301236

Its sweep starts at Turn 18.

Another Pokemon which I think is slept on is Klinklang.

Klinklang @ Steelium Z
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shift Gear
- Gear Grind
- Return
- Magne Rise / Substitute / Wild Charge

Klinklang is a great late game sweeper. Once the likes of Quagsire, Pyukamuku and opposing bulky Steel types are down (again, Hariyama, Sawk, Gallade and Zangoose can help there) this set is tough to stop with its great defensive typing and solid bulk. Shift Gear lets Klinglang outrun Scarf base 105s with this EV spread, as well as boosting its Attack to good levels. Gear Grind is Klinklang's STAB, and wrecks most Pokemon that don't resist it after a boost. Steelium Z transforms it into a 180 BP Corkscrew Crash. Return hits the Fire-, Water- and Electric-types that resist Gear Grind neutrally. Magnet Rise lets you beat bulky Ground types like Mudsdale one on one. Substitute can be used to set up on passive walls like Audino and Pyukamuku, as they can't break its Substitutes. Wild Charge hits Water-types super effectively. You could also use it with Electrium-Z, as Wild Charge into Gigavolt Havoc 2HKOes Pyukamuku on the switch.

I'd like to spread the love of Trick Room and present to you one of my trick room teams with THREE Healing Wish users that has been putting in tons of work.

Mesprit @ Mental Herb
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Stealth Rock
- Healing Wish
- U-turn

Mesprit works similarly to how Uxie is used in OU. The only difference is that it has Healing Wish to bring back your Trick Room Abusers which can really come in handy in the late-game. This EV spread allows you to live Typhlosion's Specs Eruption and set up Trick room while being able to take many hits in the Physically defensive side.

Hariyama @ Flame Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Brave Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch
- Facade

This pokemon is a MONSTER. Thanks to the Burn nerf, it only takes 6% of damage opposed to 12% which really helps its longevity. With these moves, it can pretty much destroy any pokemon and it also has Bullet Punch for priority. Knock off into Facade beats Togetic after taking Stealth Rock damage and Facade helps break through annoying pokemon like Vileplume and Weezing.

252+ Atk Guts Hariyama Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Togetic: 44-52 (14 - 16.5%) -- possible 7HKO
252+ Atk Guts Hariyama Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Togetic: 190-224 (60.5 - 71.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Guts Hariyama Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Vileplume: 190-224 (53.6 - 63.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252+ Atk Guts Hariyama Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 148+ Def Weezing: 163-192 (48.8 - 57.4%) -- 53.1% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

Musharna @ Fairium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Healing Wish

Here's my Second Healing Wish and Trick Room user. Now you may be wondering why I have Fairium Z on Musharna when I can put it on another Pokemon. This is due to it being able to destroy the likes of Malamar and Sableye while being able to take their Knock Offs better. It may not be invested in SpA, but that still doesn't stop it from putting pressure on those two pokes. If Sableye is Physically defensive, it guarantees the OHKO which is nice. Also, most people are on the hype train for Z-Malamar, which Musharna thankfully dents hard.

0 SpA Musharna Twinkle Tackle (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Sableye: 344-406 (113.1 - 133.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 SpA Musharna Twinkle Tackle (160 BP) vs. +1 0 HP / 0+ SpD Malamar: 188-222 (60 - 70.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Ursaring @ Flame Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
- Facade
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- Swords Dance

Here's my second Trick Room Abuser. Ursaring and Hariyama make a really good core together as they can both break through Physically defensive pokemon. Guts boosted Facade can beat the likes of Quagsire and Swords dance is there to beat Stall. Ursaring with max HP also means that Pokemon with priority like Hitmonchan cannot beat Ursaring which can then KO it back with a Facade.

Audino @ Mental Herb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Encore
- Healing Wish
- Knock Off

And here's my last Healing Wish Pokemon. Audino is here to take special hits and it also has the amazingly good ability of Regenerator meaning that it can swap and restore HP to activate Trick Room again. Encore is here for Calm Mind + Stored Power Musharna which as we all know is pretty ridiculous. Knock off is nice to remove items and Healing Wish + Trick Room helps bring in a Threat immediately. And of course, Mental Herb is here so it can guarantee set up a Trick Room versus a pokemon with Taunt.

Wishiwashi-School @ Life Orb
Ability: Schooling
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Earthquake / Hidden Power [Fire]
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- U-turn

Here's the last Trick Room abuser and it is so freaking good. Thanks to all three Healing Wish Pokemon, this Pokemon is never deadweight as even if it goes back to its regular form, it can be brought back and wreck havoc on your opponent. Earthquake is for Lanturn and Hidden Power Fire is for Ferroseed. It's up to you which one you would rather have on Wishiwashi. I've had success with both moves.

Also optional: If you do not like the double Guts core, you can replace Ursaring with Crabominable as it pretty much breaks walls similarly to Ursaring and you don't have to wait to activate Guts.

Crabominable @ Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Brave Nature
- Close Combat
- Ice Hammer
- Earthquake
- Toxic / Power-Up-Punch

Here's the Pastebin:
https://pastebin.com/fBSyBGzS

Aaronboyer

Something Worth Fighting For
is a Contributor to Smogon
Some more underappreciated/creative sets

Pyroar @ Firium Z
Ability: Unnerve
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Hyper Voice
- Sunny Day

This set looks nearly identical to the Z-Sunny Day set used on Typhlosion. However, this set has 2 key advantages: secondary STAB and the ability to outspeed base 105 scarfers, namely Scyther. While it lacks Eruption and is more susceptible to priority Mach Punch than Typhlosion, Pyroar has an easier time facing opposing Fire and Dragon types because of the STAB bonus it receives with Hyper Voice. Pyroar does not have any less of a special attack stat than Typhlosion, and it still has access to Inferno Overdrive if you don't have to outspeed any particular mons.

Bouffalant @ Choice Band
Ability: Reckless
Adamant Nature
- Head Charge
- Earthquake
- Megahorn
- Stone Edge/Pursuit

With all the new Normal-types like Zangoose, Tauros, Kangaskhan, Pyroar, Drampa, and Cinccino running around, it can be easily forgotten how reliable Bouffalant was in ORAS and still is in SM. While I could also mention the Assault Vest Sap Sipper set that synergizes nicely with Pokemon such as Lanturn, its his Choice Band set that I want to discuss. CB Head Charge 2HKO literally everything that doesn't resist it. For instance, even a 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Type: Null takes (43.4 - 51.2%) which has a 6.6% chance to 2HKO. Bouffalant also has the coverage necessary to hit for SE damage what resists Head Charge.

Hariyama @ Aguav Berry or Sitrus Berry
EVs: 12 HP / 244 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch

This Pokemon is already dangerous enough as it is, let alone at +6 attack under aurora veil (please ban aurora veil). While this set primarily functions on only one team archetype, its greatest appeal is that it has great synergy with Malamar, the most prominent sweeper under Aurora Veil. Everything in the tier bar Quag gets OHKO'd with the appropriate move, which makes a great teammate to eliminate/cripple opposing bulky Pokemon such as Musharna.

Gastrodon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Sticky Hold
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Sludge Wave

Most people at the sight of Gastrodon automatically assumes its defensive with Scald, Recover, etc. However, Gastrodon has a nice 92 special attack stat and wide special movepool, making a specs set possible. Surf and Earth Power are for dual STAB, and Ice Beam and Sludge Wave hit every Grass type in the tier for SE damage.

Sandslash-Alola @ Light Clay
Ability: Slush Rush
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Icicle Crash
- Brick Break
- Aurora Veil

Believe it or not, Brick Break breaks Aurora Veil before it deals damage. This can mechanic can be used to great effect by Sandslash-Alola as he already the primary AV user, learns the move, and is 4x weak to it. This can create some interesting scenarios when 2 AV teams face off against each other.

Last edited:
Here's another set that I find quite underrated considering how powerful it is, and while I'm posting I'll share a core that I've been loving lately.

Cro Sableye

Sableye @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Dark Pulse

This set works as a late-game sweeper once all of it's threats have been eliminated. Sableye's Prankster ability benefits it a lot, giving it priority recovery and even giving it a chance to flinch the opponent with Sleep Talk Dark Pulse. It's Dark-typing also gives it immunity to opposing Prankster Pokemon meaning that Sableye will never have to worry about opposing Sableye's Taunts. It's dual-typing also only makes it weak to Fairy-types, making it even easier for Sableye to sweep.

+

Cro Granbull + Magnet Pull Probo
Granbull @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Play Rough

Probopass @ Air Balloon
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Stealth Rock
- Volt Switch

Similar to the Cro Muk + Probopass core in ORAS, this core features Cro Granbull + Probopass. In this core, Probopass eliminates Steel- and Poison-types to help Cro Granbull sweep late-game. Probopass is running Hidden Power Fire to hit Ferroseed, aswell as to hit Grass / Poison-types like Vileplume for more damage. Probopass is running 84 Speed to outspeed Defensive Vileplume, aswell as other Pokemon with univested base 50 Speed. After all Steel- and Poison-types have been eliminated, Granbull can come in and begin setting up Bulk Ups.

Last edited:
maybe unfezant isn't the best mon but this can do some real damage

Unfezant @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Super Luck
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Tailwind
- Sky Attack
- Return
- U-turn

You can set Tailwind up for speed, then break something with SSSS, which has 200 BP and a raised crit ratio thanks to Super Luck as well as coming off a base 115 attack and a STAB boost. Ouch.
Return is the much more reliable STAB, and U-Turn is for when a steel type comes in because this has no way of beating those at all ;-;

yogi

I did not succumb...
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
maybe unfezant isn't the best mon but this can do some real damage

Unfezant @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Super Luck
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Tailwind
- Sky Attack
- Return
- U-turn

You can set Tailwind up for speed, then break something with SSSS, which has 200 BP and a raised crit ratio thanks to Super Luck as well as coming off a base 115 attack and a STAB boost. Ouch.
Return is the much more reliable STAB, and U-Turn is for when a steel type comes in because this has no way of beating those at all ;-;
Hey bud!

That looks like a really fun and neat little set to be honest, but I feel like it's not very viable in the current metagame. Unfezant is sadly one of the few flying/normal types without access to a key STAB move in Brave Bird, meaning it has to rely on something like the extremely weak Aerial Ace to try to do some damage. It also has rather lacklustre speed and only somewhat decent attack, which it isn't able to properly use. I'd actually like to suggest some mons that you might actually like better!

Scyther @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- U-turn
- Aerial Ace
- Roost

Scyther @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Aerial Ace
- Knock Off
- Bug Bite

Scyther @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Aerial Ace
- Knock Off
- Quick Attack

Scyther has quite a few usable sets in the current metagame. Due to Technician it's able to boost the weak base attack of Aerial Ace from a 60 base power move to a 90 base power move, allowing it to dish out decent amounts of damage. It also has access to a great momentum move, which I know Unfezant does too but it's not STAB, in U-Turn, allowing it to gain momentum on common switchins to it. The bulkier set is also capable of pushing out a decent amount of Fighting types too!

Charizard
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost

Charizard @ Firium Z
Ability: Solar Power
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Air Slash
- Hidden Power Grass
- Sunny Day

Charizard @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Air Slash
- Hidden Power Grass
- Roost

The same as with Scyther, Charizard is able to run several successful sets that allow it to break down opposing teams with relative ease. The Swords Dance set is able to act as another decent Fighting check, coupled with the fact it's also a Knock Off resist and Will-o-Wisp absorber too! And both the Z Sunny Day sets and Life Orb sets allow it to break down teams, with the former generally coming in late (or potentially early game depending on the match up) to sweep/break, and the former being able to pose a threat throughout.

Swanna @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 Spe
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Hurricane
- Scald
- Roost

Finally I wanted to show you a more defensive mon that was released in the same generation as Unfezant, but is pretty much better in everyway. Swanna is a good defensive pivot in the current meta, providing an okay check to physical attackers whilst also having access to two strong STAB moves, Hurricane and Scald, along with Defog plus Roost.

Hope this helped and keep on innovating bud!

Hey bud!

That looks like a really fun and neat little set to be honest, but I feel like it's not very viable in the current metagame. Unfezant is sadly one of the few flying/normal types without access to a key STAB move in Brave Bird, meaning it has to rely on something like the extremely weak Aerial Ace to try to do some damage. It also has rather lacklustre speed and only somewhat decent attack, which it isn't able to properly use. I'd actually like to suggest some mons that you might actually like better!

Scyther @ Eviolite
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- U-turn
- Aerial Ace
- Roost

Scyther @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Aerial Ace
- Knock Off
- Bug Bite

Scyther @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Aerial Ace
- Knock Off
- Quick Attack

Scyther has quite a few usable sets in the current metagame. Due to Technician it's able to boost the weak base attack of Aerial Ace from a 60 base power move to a 90 base power move, allowing it to dish out decent amounts of damage. It also has access to a great momentum move, which I know Unfezant does too but it's not STAB, in U-Turn, allowing it to gain momentum on common switchins to it. The bulkier set is also capable of pushing out a decent amount of Fighting types too!

Charizard
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost

Charizard @ Firium Z
Ability: Solar Power
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Air Slash
- Hidden Power Grass
- Sunny Day

Charizard @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Air Slash
- Hidden Power Grass
- Roost

The same as with Scyther, Charizard is able to run several successful sets that allow it to break down opposing teams with relative ease. The Swords Dance set is able to act as another decent Fighting check, coupled with the fact it's also a Knock Off resist and Will-o-Wisp absorber too! And both the Z Sunny Day sets and Life Orb sets allow it to break down teams, with the former generally coming in late (or potentially early game depending on the match up) to sweep/break, and the former being able to pose a threat throughout.

Swanna @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 Spe
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Hurricane
- Scald
- Roost

Finally I wanted to show you a more defensive mon that was released in the same generation as Unfezant, but is pretty much better in everyway. Swanna is a good defensive pivot in the current meta, providing an okay check to physical attackers whilst also having access to two strong STAB moves, Hurricane and Scald, along with Defog plus Roost.

Hope this helped and keep on innovating bud!
It wasn't meant to be good :P
Also, saying stuff about Aerial Ace is irrelevant to the set I posted.

Regirock @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 248 HP / 120 Atk / 140 SpD
Adamant / Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Stone Edge
- Brick Break / Earthquake

I got bored and started reading random mons' analysis and I realized Regirock's spread was kinda outdated. The 16 Def Impish spread allowed it to survive the 3HKO (its actually a 2HKO but w/e) from LO Tauros' Iron Tail. Considering the move's incompatibility with Body Slam, which is the preffered normal STAB now, the move has pretty much stopped existing, so surviving it is irrelevant. This spread has quite some cool features. For starters, it's able to avoid the OHKO from Typhlosion's Focus Blast from full, as long as rocks aren't up. If you're Careful, you have a pretty high chance of surviving even with rocks up. The main feature of this spread is the ability of beating (or pressuring heavily if you factor in hax) The Infamous Veil Core™. It avoids the 2hko from Aurorus' Blizzard after Hail damage, and it even avoids the 2HKO from Slash-A's Iron Head, while breaking through Aurora Veil with Brick Break and denting Snowslash, possibly OHKOing it after rocks.
In general, this spread is way more effective right now.
Defensive:
- Adamant:
252 SpA Choice Specs Typhlosion Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 140 SpD Regirock: 302-356 (83.1 - 98%)
252 Atk Life Orb Tauros Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Regirock: 130-153 (35.8 - 42.1%)
252 SpA Aurorus Blizzard vs. 248 HP / 140 SpD Regirock: 130-154 (35.8 - 42.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after hail damage and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Sandslash-Alola Iron Head vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Regirock: 132-156 (36.3 - 42.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after hail damage and Leftovers recovery
- Careful:
252 SpA Choice Specs Typhlosion Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 140+ SpD Regirock: 274-324 (75.4 - 89.2%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Offensive calcs:
120+ Atk Regirock Brick Break vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Aurorus: 348-412 (89.9 - 106.4%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
120+ Atk Regirock Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tauros: 139-165 (47.7 - 56.7%) -- 86.3% chance to 2HKO
120+ Atk Regirock Brick Break vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Sandslash-Alola: 228-272 (78.3 - 93.4%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock (Brick Break breaks through Aurora Veil and then deals damage so...)

Shoutouts to Yogibears for helping me finding one good spread :3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)