Resource SM OU Sets Viability Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.
tapu koko:
- roost 3 attacks should be added to a+

tapu bulu:
- substitute should just be replaced by leech seed. the leech seed set encompasses protect, substitute, swords dance, and bulk up.

keldeo:
- add a calm mind set

dugtrio:
- choice scarf is good

tyranitar:
- add a support set

hoopa-u:
- maybe add focus sash?

gengar:
- choice specs is a good set now due to the lack of ghost resists and decline of pursuit trappers

volcarona:
- bulky quiver dance has a pretty good niche

zapdos:
- i'd just make this "defensive" instead of describing a specific defense

kartana:
- swords dance + z-move instead of naming only fightinium z

mamoswine:
- no lead set?

gastrodon:
- curse is on par with defensive, if not better

klefki:
- you can do better with the name lol

thundurus-t:
- rename "double dance"
here to nominate a few things and i would like to see thoughts

choice scarf pheromosa is still a good set and i think it's a+ worthy. we've seen it can go special as well.
choice scarf hoopa-u is probably the set to use in this metagame so i think it's a- with its other sets too. yes, i know the speed tier is underwhelming but it's not a revenge killer.
calm mind tapu fini could probably go to a-
bulky heatran is still very solid. not too sure about rising it but it could be worth a look.
choice specs tapu lele is mindless lol and should go to a+

anyways, that's all

Vertex

Heatran's best set, by far, is offensive trapper. I don't think both should be A; instead, I think bulky tran should be at least one subrank lower. Additionally, bulky tran doesn't perform as well in this meta because it used to check Clef in ORAS but Clef usage is pretty low these days. It can't perform as well against stall since Dugtrio is everywhere, and the balance teams that it once threatened are harder to come by. I'd rather see it drop to B+ than see it rise to A.

I assume bulky sets are 248 HP/4 SpD/252 Spe Timid, since the speed is more important than extra bulk, but the older spread of 248 HP/192 SpD/68 Spe Calm (if I remember right) might still be worth mentioning.

Scarf Heatran could warrant a ranking but it's not that good. Maybe B or B- would be appropriate.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Spoke with bludz and Gary on these. Will respond 1 by 1:
tapu koko:
- roost 3 attacks should be added to a+
We feel currently that it still falls a smidgen short of the Offensive Pivot set, but definitely agree it should be added. We're placing it in A, but open to moving it up.
tapu bulu:
- substitute should just be replaced by leech seed. the leech seed set encompasses protect, substitute, swords dance, and bulk up.

zapdos:
- i'd just make this "defensive" instead of describing a specific defense

kartana:
- swords dance + z-move instead of naming only fightinium z

klefki:
- you can do better with the name lol

thundurus-t:
- rename "double dance"
Done earlier but thanks for the catch (I'll just bundle the renames here).
keldeo:
- add a calm mind set
Yeah can add. Probably below Specs at the moment, but could rise if it sees more usage.
dugtrio:
- choice scarf is good
Yeah. Added this under Offensive Trapper (same rank - B+).
tyranitar:
- add a support set
Support is kind of meh, but I did make exceptions for Defog Mega Scizor so I think I can barter with Support Tar. Definitely below Scarf.
hoopa-u:
- maybe add focus sash?
Accepted for discussion at the moment. We have mixed opinions on it at the moment but aren't opposed to adding it in.
gengar:
- choice specs is a good set now due to the lack of ghost resists and decline of pursuit trappers
Gengar's sets probably need a revamp because Taunt + Pain Split is pretty brutal to run too - arguably better than some of the Sub sets. Gengar is one of those weirdly unexplored mons in the meta atm, so for now I won't disagree to adding Specs since Pursuit is definiely rarer and Ghost resists are rarer.
volcarona:
- bulky quiver dance has a pretty good niche
So we had a discussion on this, and to be fair I haven't seen or used the set. bludz mentioned that jamvad used it live at one point, though I think it wasn't in SPL. The theory of it is sounds at the least, but none of us have used or seen the set. I would like to request, if you have them, some replays of the set in action.

EDIT: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7pokebankoususpecttest-238064

Definitely worthy to add to discussion but if people wanted to see the set in action. Were not for paralysis Volcarona would've won the match.
mamoswine:
- no lead set?
Adding under Offensive.
gastrodon:
- curse is on par with defensive, if not better
No real comments, though the big reason for Gastro's rise at the moment has been Special Defense without Curse. Probably could be ranked the same, but we'll accept it for discussion.
choice scarf pheromosa is still a good set and i think it's a+ worthy. we've seen it can go special as well.
Yeah for sure. It's the last set but it's still really damn good.
choice scarf hoopa-u is probably the set to use in this metagame so i think it's a- with its other sets too. yes, i know the speed tier is underwhelming but it's not a revenge killer.
Yeah it's more of an offensive / balance pressure with access to Trick. No disagreement on this one either - I think Gary mentioned to add it as the top set and I just forgot to do it.
calm mind tapu fini could probably go to a-
Haven't seen or used it, and I know that it's pretty uncommon of a set. Accept for discussion.
bulky heatran is still very solid. not too sure about rising it but it could be worth a look.
Yeah the meta has done alright with having Bulky Heatran. I think it's worthy of rising and will speak with Gary and bludz further on it.
choice specs tapu lele is mindless lol and should go to a+
Also will discuss with Gary and bludz about - I have seen it a bit more lately and it's not a bad set. I think All-Out Attacker still warps it a bit, but Scarf is starting to show crumbles in its usage so it being in the same tier probably isn't unreasonable.

So what I got so far:

- Swapped Trick Room and Choice Specs rating on Magearna
- Replaced Substitute with Leech Seed for Bulu and renaming other sets
- Moved Scarf to B, Specs to B- for Latios. Defog is also B-.
- Added Choice Scarf Dugtrio (B+, under Offensive Trapper).
- Roost + 3 Koko to A - willing to see more discussion on it.
- Calm Mind Keldeo added (A-, under Specs)
- Support Tyranitar added (B, under Choice Scarf)
- Choice Scarf as first set for Hoopa-U to reflect current metagame presence; accepting discussion for Focus Sash
- Added Choice Specs (under Life Orb, will need a revamp on these sets probably in some time).
- Lead Mamoswine (B, under Offensive)
- Scarf Pheromosa to A+ - remains in final slot to reflect current metagame presence.

Further discussion needed from VR Sets Team and others:

- Sash Hoopa-U
- Roost + 3 Koko (as far as tier shifting)
- Bulky Volcarona
- Curse Gastrodon
- Bulky Heatran rising
- Calm Mind Tapu Fini
- Choice Specs Tapu Lele

So long as the conversation is within reason and intelligent people are more than free to add their two cents.

Last edited:
Buzzwole: Move Bulky Roost above Sub Punch but keep them in the same rank. I think it was established elsewhere that Bulky Roost is a more effective set in this metagame.
Serperior: Sub Seed is better than Offensive imo but maybe that's just me.
Nihilego: No one uses Choice Specs, and even if they did it's nowhere near as good as Choice Scarf. Move it down to B+ with the Lead set. I would even advocate dropping Lead down a subrank too. Choice Scarf is just that much better than the other sets.
Crawdaunt: I would rename Waterium Z to Swords Dance, as that set doesn't require Waterium Z to be effective.
"Alolamola": The name is spelled incorrectly.

There are a few other sets I would consider adding but nothing too viable that I would make a strong case for it.

In regards to other nominations I would say that sash hoopa-u is very team-reliant not splashable and isn't really too different from the Life Orb set. It basically does the exact same thing that Life Orb does. I guess that's flimsy reasoning but I don't think it carves out enough of a niche to be listed as it's own set in this, although it's a pretty alright set.
I think roost+3 attacks tapu koko is fine where it is right now. offensive pivot seems to outshine it a bit
i'm not too sure about curse gastrodon but it mostly does the same thing that spdef does and gastrodon doesn't mind giving up toxic that much tbh since a lot of the time people pivot into tapu fini or venusaur or ferrothorn or whatever against it. Then again tangrowth is also really good rn so what do I know.
i have no opinions on the other nominations, that's all I got.

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I agree with specs lele rising, and I find scarf more and more underwhelming every time I pick it up or face it so having them in the same rank is in no way unreasonable.

On the topic of scarfers with bad speed tiers for scarfers, I'm really confused by the Scarf Hoopa-U point. If my opponent brings Scarf Hoopa-U it always feels super unthreatening to me (I stand by Scarf being mediocre on anything that can't RK 100s 'cause fuck being locked without a power boost that shit is whack; not meeting speed tiers/how they never hit as hard as I want them to is why I've always been reluctant to slap a scarf on the majority of scarfers last gen and onto anything that isn't 101+ this gen), and what always scares me is when they bring specs or even band for a lot of similar reasoning to last gen with regards to how disgustingly limited counterplay is to it in the respect that it gets a hit off and proceeds to switch out with impunity to come in and repeat the process later. Especially in a meta like the one we have at the moment, where Pursuit isn't very common, it is just so threatening and honestly its something that I think a lot of people are sleeping on to an extent, and as such running Scarf to patch up its Speed stat always felt (and still does feel) wasteful to me. As far as I am concerned, running scarf for the sake of making a slowmon fast is not productive outside of a handful of cases such as ScarfTar in past gens, where trapping was a big part of the reason for it.
"Alolamola": The name is spelled incorrectly.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Scarf Hoopa isn't meant to be an answer to sweepers, it's meant to take advantage of all the Pokemon that normally outspeed it and threaten them, such as Mega Metagross, Keldeo, Tapus, any non Scarf positive attacking nature Pheromosa, Greninja, offensive Lando-T, etc. It's kind of like Scarf Lele where it just has a great match up against offensive teams but it's not your dedicated RKer, but it provides the team with decent speed control and give you a potential late game cleaner. It kind of forces you to potentially run two Scarfers or others way to deal with Volc/Mence/Zard X but like I said, it's very annoying for offense to deal with. I'm talking about special Scarf by the way, physical is pretty dicks.

Tbh though, what other niche does Hoopa's other sets have anymore? Specs is no longer a good stallbreaker because it gets trapped by Duggy, and any other all out attacker variant is completely outclassed by Lele, hell even Specs Hoopa is less useful than AoA Lele for the most part. It doesn't really provide the team with much outside of raw power, whereas Lele has more freedom, a great supporting ability, and better typing in general. Scarf gives Hoopa the niche of taking on some of OU's top offensive Pokemon while still being able to freely spam Dark Pulse, and considering that most people lack solid Dark switch-ins on offense, it can do quite a bit versus those teams. Scarf Lele gives it slight competition but tbh the fact that it can take on Mega Meta is pretty huge. Specs is a lot better on paper than it is in practice, and while it can still be annoying for balance builds to deal with, it's just not really going to see much usage on teams just because it faces so much competition from Lele.

I agree with Specs lele rising as well, even resisted hits stuff like a truck, has the bulk/typing to take a hit back if need be and has 2 Really good complementary stabs that make spaming easy especially in comparison to other choice users. I'm surprised its taken awhile for people to pick up on. I also find Scarf to be a waste on lele as its ability is better used protecting other fast mons or set up sweepers then trying to revenge herself. In all honesty I find most scarfers in general to be underwelming anyway but thats my opinion.

Not so sure about Calm mind fini. While fantastic on paper falls it apart in practice due to being easily worn down (Lack of recovery, Hazard dmg and taking hits from pivoting), Some 4MSS and the oppurtunity cost in not using Finis utility sets. Not saying its bad at calm minding because if she gets going you've probably lost but it usally only gets 1 shot at it in a game meaning you dont want to be switching her in to take hits or clear hazards which is a waste of her utility and supportive traits. I'd say its fine at B+ or dropped to B. Honestly If you want a calm minding bulky fairy Clefable is still the go to despite her current issues, she can still pivot even as a win con due to magic guard, reliable recovery and only needs 3 moves to function unlike Fini.

Cant really reply on the others as I dont play with those much but I have a question! What on earth is Focus Sash Hoopa U acheiving? It really needs Band/Specs/Orb to break stall or Scarf to lure in its fast checks and if its for dugtrio then shed shell is better which is sub par anyway or am I not seeing something?

Anyway good Job on the thread :) Colonel M

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Scarf Hoopa isn't meant to be an answer to sweepers, it's meant to take advantage of all the Pokemon that normally outspeed it and threaten them, such as Mega Metagross, Keldeo, Tapus, any non Scarf positive attacking nature Pheromosa, Greninja, offensive Lando-T, etc. It's kind of like Scarf Lele where it just has a great match up against offensive teams but it's not your dedicated RKer, but it provides the team with decent speed control and give you a potential late game cleaner. It kind of forces you to potentially run two Scarfers or others way to deal with Volc/Mence/Zard X but like I said, it's very annoying for offense to deal with. I'm talking about special Scarf by the way, physical is pretty dicks.

Tbh though, what other niche does Hoopa's other sets have anymore? Specs is no longer a good stallbreaker because it gets trapped by Duggy, and any other all out attacker variant is completely outclassed by Lele, hell even Specs Hoopa is less useful than AoA Lele for the most part. It doesn't really provide the team with much outside of raw power, whereas Lele has more freedom, a great supporting ability, and better typing in general. Scarf gives Hoopa the niche of taking on some of OU's top offensive Pokemon while still being able to freely spam Dark Pulse, and considering that most people lack solid Dark switch-ins on offense, it can do quite a bit versus those teams. Scarf Lele gives it slight competition but tbh the fact that it can take on Mega Meta is pretty huge. Specs is a lot better on paper than it is in practice, and while it can still be annoying for balance builds to deal with, it's just not really going to see much usage on teams just because it faces so much competition from Lele.
yeah it's much more a case of me just not liking a lot of scarfers in general more than anything so i'm probably pretty biased in that regard hahaha. I repsect that it's not a revenge killer but the flipside of that is that revenge killing is the only real reason I ever consider running scarf on anything on the basis that I think the lock (and the momentum sapping that comes with it) is too big a tradeoff to patch up a stat personally when I could use offense breakers that don't lock every time they move. Once again, its just me and I've never been that big on it as an item so this may just be bias on my end rather than a representation of it's actual viability.

I guess I'll go down the list of discussion points and make super brief comments so this post isn't completely useless

I agree w/ the Sash Hoopa-U nom; the ability to take a hit is super valuable and it is super easy for a lot of offense builds to keep hazards off of the field nowadays.
Agree w/ Specs Lele nom for reasons I stated before.
I agree w/ Vertex and think Roost+3 Atks Koko should rise; it's not so far short of Pivot to warrant bing in a lower rank imo.
No opinion on Bulky Volcarona or Curse Gastro but Bulky Volc feels like a set that I'd never personally build a team with so I guess if that means anything...
Bulky Tran rise is something I can get behind. V. underrated and its effectiveness is underrated in A- imo
No opinion on CM Fini

I think Assault Vest Tapu Bulu with 252 attack 196 Hp and the rest on Spdef adamant nature with Horn Leech Superpower Zen headbutt & Stone edge/Rock Slide is pretty good! Can take ice beam from Greninja and OhKO it with Horn Leech & recover. You also tank Tapu Lele and special Tapu Koko. That is just my experience. I am not saying it should be here, but just expressing my experience.

Last edited:
I think Assault Vest Tapu Bulu with 252 attack 196 Hp and the rest on Spdef adamant nature with Horn Leech Wood hammer and two other moves is pretty good! Can take ice beam from Greninja and OhKO it with Horn Leech & recover. You also tank Tapu Lele and special Tapu Koko. That is just my experience. I am not saying it should be here, but just expressing my experience.
Assault vest + Wood hammer is somewhat foolish, as it is pointless having a bulky mon that can't regain its health outside of grassy terrain recovery that then smashes away so much health with wood hammer.

More importantly, I see the potential point about AV Bulu being quite useful, but the problem is that AV is not as tanky as Bulu's defensive set that takes advantage of leech seed, grassy terrain, lefties, and horn leach (perhaps with Bulk Up, Protect, and Coverage Move/Sub), and notably weaker than offensive builds, most obviously the CB and SD sets that really packs a punch and can break through many of the strongest walls.

As it is outclassed defensively by Leech Seed, and offensively by choice band/SD, I'd say that AV Bulu would be little better than a B-/C+, and a waste of such a good mon; besides, there are other AV users that do function as better special walls with offensive presence. It's rare to find a mon on the ranking with one set so many levels below the rest of their sets.

So I'd say AV Bulu doesn't deserve to be on the ranking.

Tapu Bulu: Assault Vest

I think the assault vest for Tapu Bulu deserves to be at least mentioned on this list as an A- or B+ set.

With the assault vest, Bulu gets a very good 70/115/and essentially 157 bulk with a few (80) SpD evs. Bulu's typing gives it resists to some of the most common offensive types such as Electric, Water, Dark, Fighting, basically a 4x ground resist (besides like thousand arrows the only other relevant physical ground move), and a complete immunity to Dragon.

Its lack of reliable recovery is mitigated by horn leech + grassy terrain recovery and it avoids being very passive by its powerful 130 base attack stat on top of a free choice band to its grass moves and natures madness which halves the health of pokemon that would normally be able to switch in very easily (notably skarmory, celesteela, and heatran).

Essentially, tapu bulu aims to be able to support its team by being a reliable switch in for many powerful offensive type attacks and dealing big damage to ensure an easier time cleaning up for say, a late game cleaner.

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 180 Atk / 80 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Wood Hammer
- Nature's Madness
- Rock Slide/Stone Edge/Zen Headbutt/Mega Horn/Superpower/Smart Strike
A
While this isn't typically a place to post sets, why run Wood Hammer with Assault vest?

But the main question is who does assault vest Bulu beat that is relevant? Its decent Special Defence with an assault vest is nice, but which special attackers would this set have more utility against than the standard Bulu sets? Is it as good as other AV users? If not, what niche does it have over these users, and other special walls?
personally for me, it helps take a ice beam from a preotein greninja and OhKO it with Horn Leech and recover about 80% if my health. It is also a switch in to Tapu Lele and Spatk Koko.

I think Assault Vest Tapu Bulu with 252 attack 196 Hp and the rest on Spdef adamant nature with Horn Leech Superpower Zen headbutt & Stone edge/Rock Slide is pretty good! Can take ice beam from Greninja and OhKO it with Horn Leech & recover. You also tank Tapu Lele and special Tapu Koko. That is just my experience. I am not saying it should be here, but just expressing my experience.
A

personally for me, it helps take a ice beam from a preotein greninja and OhKO it with Horn Leech and recover about 80% if my health. It is also a switch in to Tapu Lele and Spatk Koko.
In your first post you seemed to say that you weren't sure AV Bulu should be listed (which I took as a merely rhetorical point, given you posted on this particular thread) but now you are advocating an 'A' rank for AV Bulu? That seems to me to be far too high by any standards. As I wrote above, it doesn't add much that the current sets have (less offensive than SD/CB, can't last as long as Leach Seed), and you haven't given any new arguments to show why it should be ranked higher, other than the debunked Greninja Ice Beam argument.

I'm all ears if you put forth a compelling case (as, I am sure, are the people in charge of the thread), which would include calcs and comparisons with other sets, and showing which mons AV Bulu counters that the other builds cannot. However, right now I don't think your position is well supported enough to merit including the AV set on the rankings, let alone A rank.

In your first post you seemed to say that you weren't sure AV Bulu should be listed (which I took as a merely rhetorical point, given you posted on this particular thread) but now you are advocating an 'A' rank for AV Bulu? That seems to me to be far too high by any standards. As I wrote above, it doesn't add much that the current sets have (less offensive than SD/CB, can't last as long as Leach Seed), and you haven't given any new arguments to show why it should be ranked higher, other than the debunked Greninja Ice Beam argument.

I'm all ears if you put forth a compelling case (as, I am sure, are the people in charge of the thread), which would include calcs and comparisons with other sets, and showing which mons AV Bulu counters that the other builds cannot. However, right now I don't think your position is well supported enough to merit including the AV set on the rankings, let alone A rank.
I am not saying it should be A rank, just saying it is a good set! I still think the CB Bulu set is the best! AV is my second favorite set.

Remember that pretty much every Protean Greninja has Gunk Shot so that isn't a good argument.
Yea I guess you are right. It helped me a lot though!

Last edited by a moderator:

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Ok, let's check it out

Tank Chomp should drop because why would I use something that doesn't beat anything above it besides like Landorus-T and Mega Metagross without Ice Punch

Where is Choice Specs Dragalge and what does Specially Defensive do that it doesn't

NP Shed Shell Hoopa-U should get a mention because it beats stall

Scarf Thundurus-T needs a rank because it's strong and Base 101 Speed makes it one of the "good" scarfers

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Updated the thread with current VR changes and updated some of the sets. Will break down more details on what has transpired in the moves for sets.

Last edited:
IMO Kyurem-Black's Life Orb set is better than its Icium-Z Wallbreaker set, simply because Life Orb Kyurem-Black already hits like a truck and there are better Pokemon to give your Z-Crystal to. I don't think that Subzero Slammer earns Kyurem-Black a lot more extra KOs that are relevant.

Funbot28

Banned deucer.

Choice Scarf: S -> A+
While I agree that all of Pheromosa sets are top tier threats in the current metagame, I am not sure if I would consider Choice Scarf to be on the highest echelon with other sets such as Choice Specs and Quiver Dance. The main problem I have with the Choice Scarf set really is the lack of immediate power it has without any boosts , where common threats such as Toxapex, Alolan-Marowak, and Tapu Fini can especially take advantage of this due to it being locked into a move. With its other sets, Pheromosa usually has the liberty to just pivot out or hit incoming switchins with the appropriate coverage the next turn, but with Choice Scarf you are extremely limited and often have to rely on predictions in order to be used properly (due to Pheromosa not having the bulk to afford safe plays like other Scarfers can). Its a menace for offense to deal with, but I am not sure it should stay in S alongside its other sets which truly demonstrate how fearsome Pheromosa really is.

Automatize
: A -> A+
Automatize Celesteela is truly a threat that many teams actually do not have answers to due to it being able to sweep efficiently thanks to its great coverage alongside its powerful STAB options (especially with Supersonic Skystrike). Offensive Celesteela sets have been dominating the tournament scenes due to how easily it can really apply pressure on more offensive and balance builds and due to how few checks the set actually has. Specially Defensive is still amazing, but I find Automatize can also join the A+ rank due to it also being a pivotal set that makes Celesteela the A+ threat it is currently.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Supporting the rise to A+ for Automatize Celesteela. The general spammability of Flying STAB and Skyward Strike go well with Beast Boost for easy snowballing, its bulk and typing help it set up easily, and it's helped me BS my way through games where I was otherwise playing like shit.

Last edited:

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
So obviously the tier list moves were reflected on the OU VR thread. So let's discuss what happened to each Pokemon and their sets:

- Added Choice Scarf to A-

Though this could be seen as an odd set due to not really seeing use much in SPL and ladder, Choice Scarf Greninja has the perks of being faster than a lot of threats while, thanks to Protean, having a STAB on every move that it chooses. It's much worse than its other sets, but juuuuust irks enough of a unique niche to be added to viability for now.

- Added Taunt + 3 Attacks
- Added Bloom Doom (Grassium Z)

Speaking of Greninja, Ash-Greninja also got a couple sets added. Taunt + 3 Attacks was used by p2 in an SPL match where its capability of switching moves helped it tackle threats while having Taunt shuts down more defensive teams and options that may cripple or halt Ash-Greninja. Currently standing in the meta Choice Specs is better in terms of power and, to an extent, consistency, so Taunt was dropped a rank below. Grassium Z is still not the worst set as it gives Ash-Greninja a method of bypassing Tapu Fini without trying to risk wearing it down with repeated Hydro Pumps. Outside of this it is by far one of the weaker sets.

- Renamed sets to reflect Swords Dance doesn't always need a Z Item
- TankChomp to A-

Garchomp had a small cleanup in its sets as Offensive Swords Dance can still use Life Orb or any Z Move. Theoretically so can Swords Dance + Stealth Rock, but it's a bit more limited in what it can do. TankChomp dropped to A- - it is not really that great in the current metagame in comparison to Landorus-T.

- Added Mixed
- Added Choice Scarf

Tapu Koko had a small re-work too. Offensive Pivot takes care of any sets with U-turn on them. This includes, but is not limited to:

- U-turn + 3 Attacks
- U-turn + Roost
- U-turn + Taunt (+ Nature's Madness)

Roost + 3 Attacks in a Dugtrio-less meta may rise, but for now U-turn is pretty crucial for it to work out. Mixed is a solid set that is undervalued with Grass-types running around like crazy. Choice Scarf is the final addition - Modest Scarf Koko is pretty good and has Electric Terrain to help bolster its primary move. Though, this set is very susceptible in a meta with Dugtrio it can at least bluff itself if it KOes the Pokemon instead. Calm Mind was finally scrapped - especially in a Dugtrio meta this set is not that great and it doesn't really accomplish much. Koko is best used as a pivot or going all out on attacks.

- Placed Choice Scarf second in A Rank (same rank as Choice Specs)

We decided that All-Out Attacker reigns supreme; especially in a meta where Dugtrio is the common answer to it on stall. Modest Shed Shell is its arguably best set. Choice Scarf has started to show cracks and take a backseat, but it it's still a great set. Being ranked the same as Choice Specs also reflects that Specs can be quite devastating, but still has flaws.

- Added Calm Mind + Normalium Z

Calm Mind + Normalium Z was added to B+ to reflect Keldeo's methods of bypassing bulky Grass-types and Tapu Fini / Toxapex. It's a weaker set, but still effective.

- Revamped Sets

Basically Gengar's sets got a small re-work. All-Out Attacker reflects Life Orb, Ghostium Z, and Electrium Z. Offensive Utility covers some of Gengar's other sets (think Taunt + Pain Split).

- Removed Z-Happy Hour

Removed Z-Happy Hour Jirachi. It's a set that's pretty meh, and it doesn't do very well in the current meta matchups.

- Merged Chople / Air Balloon and Assault Vest into "Utility"

Merged Chople / Air Balloon and Assault Vest into Utility. All three sets accomplish different goals, but basically they're used as more utility in some instances (though to be fair Chople Magnezone is a little less better with QD Phero and Specs Phero gaining steam).

- Removed Calm Mind

Removed Calm Mind. More or less a LL relic.

- Renamed Quiver Dance + Z Move to "Offensive Quiver Dance"
- Added Bulky Quiver Dance

Added Bulky Quiver Dance to B+ to reflect it's strength, but still requires a bit more support than the Firium Z Volcarona. Firium Z has been renamed to simply "Offensive Quiver Dance" to help reflect Supersonic Skystrike Volcarona.

- Re-arranged Bulky Roost and Substitute + 3 Attacks

Placed Bulky Roost at the top followed by Substitute + Focus Punch.

- Removed Bulky Dragon Dance

- Renamed Life Orb to "Mixed Attacker"

Life Orb was replaced with Mixed Attacker - this takes into account of Focus Sash Hoopa-U as part of this listing.

- Moved Choice Specs to B

Choice Specs was moved to B to reflect that Scarf is the primary set Nihilego uses currently in the meta.

- Moved Pursuit to B+.

Pursuit Mega Scizor is still pretty good and a nice alternative since Swords Dance can't always sweep teams. Nice compression and something a lot of teams appreciate.

- Re-arranged sets

Swapped sets (Offensive was accidentally above SubSeed).

- Revamped sets

Reflects current status in OU's viable sets. Removed SD + Rock Z and Choice Band. Scarf and Sash lead are its more consistent sets (though the latter faces some serious competition with Lando-T).

- Removed Taunt

In a meta where Mega Sableye exists this set has almost no purpose.

- Moved Choice Scarf to C+
- Banning all discussion of Timid Kartana in spite of getting SPL usage in one game (it was bad)

Made Choice Scarf C+ to demonstrate its inconsistency and unreliability.

- Placed Z-Conversion (Electric) in B

Placed Z-Conversion (Electric) in same rank. Though Earthquake weakness is annoying it is resilient to Bullet Punch, which are common on Mega Scizor and Mega Metagross so it has a rather interesting trade-off.

And that's it. Currently accepting discussions on anything at the moment. Celesteela's Automotize set in A+ sounds fairly likely as I've noticed many teams can get creamed by this thing unless they're hyper offensive or pack Heatran and some other annoying shit.

Last edited:
i'd like to point out that kommo-o and bewear are not present on the viability list, but are here. and smeargle is Rank C+ here, while he is Rank C on the viability list. also, fix up crawdaunt's sprite. it's broken

Last edited:

Ema Skye

Work!
What is a set for Scarf Greninja?

It seems kind of interesting (it outspeeds +2 Adamant Lando) and I want to try it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)