VGC Slush-Room Abomasnow Squad (very new to VGC)

Yo what it do lads. I've been playing singles competitively for just about as long as I can remember, but I've just recently grown an interest in playing VGC. I'm super new to the format and super bad at it. I've been looking everywhere for VGC 2018 sample teams but I cannot find any resources on the tier anywhere. So I was basically forced to make my own team from scratch, which to be fair I've probably found much more enjoyable anyways. But again, I'm really not that good at teambuilding in this tier so I'd love some feedback.

Pastebin: https://pastebin.com/ifcE3TYf

I wanted to make the team around Abomasnow, which is one of my favorite megas. As I developed the team, I came up with this interested bipolar concept for the speed of the team. I set about making a core that could set me up to outspeed everything or outslow everything, and both sides of the core relied heavily off Abomasnows support. Having both options for the team feels very strong because most of the time, the fast strategy is very obvious and as a result your opponents counter play looks very obvious as well so you have to option to counter-lead the counter lead in a sense.

Option 1: Slush Squad

This has been in practice (on the bottom of the ladder admittedly) the most consistent and effective strategy for the team. Mega Abomasnow + Sandslash guarentee Aurora Vail going up, which is something that something like Ninetails cannot guarentee. This is because Mega Abomasnow outslows every other weather setter and as a result can reset the hail on sun/rain/sand setters. Aurora Veil gives more staying power to pokemon who would have otherwise relied off trick room to accomplish things: Abomasnow and Marowak both very much enjoy the added bulk. The main recipients of the vail are Abomasnow+Tapu Fini. Together, these 2 mons compliment each other both defensively and offensively very well. With a few well played protects each mon can eliminate a respective counter from the other, with Aurora veil making predictions more forgiving when they go wrong. This strategy is very weak to both fake out leads as well as heat wave mons like Heatran.

Option 2: Trick Room

I haven't used this part of the team very many times, but I really like the idea of it. I really liked the concept about team preview kind of contradicting itself to your opponent, as it makes counter leading much harder for them to pull off when they have to decide if they want to counter lead the Veil or counter lead the trick room. Abomasnow and Marowak are both terrifying under trick room, and while Sandslash and Tapu Fini both have a lot of speed investment, they are both still relatively slow in comparison to a lot of the meta which allows them some form of functionality in this option as well.

The Team:

Abomasnow @ Abomasite
Ability: Snow Warning
Level: 50
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 196 HP / 228 SpA / 84 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Stomping Tantrum
- Protect

Now, again, I'm not very good with doubles damage calculations. So it's very likely I made mistakes with these calcs because I don't know if I did the spread correctly. If anybody knows how to calculate spread damage could you verify these calcs?

-1 252+ SpA Heatran Heat Wave vs. 196 HP / 84 SpD Abomasnow-Mega: 156-184 (82.1 - 96.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (After a parting shot)

252+ SpA Heatran Heat Wave vs. 196 HP / 84 SpD Abomasnow-Mega with an ally's Aurora Veil: 155-187 (81.5 - 98.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Under Aurora Veil)

Blizzard goes without saying, and I'm using stomping tantrum over EQ because I'm going to be lining up with Abomasnow plus Sandslash a lot of times so hitting myself for supper effective damage doesn't make sense to me especially when I have blizzard as a spread move as well. I've been contemplating between wood hammer and giga drain but giga drain offers recovery to take advantage of the veil so that's what I settled with. Also, spread EQ does the same damage as stomping tantrum anyways doesn't it? (Again I'm kind of new to VGC but it's to my understanding that it is).

Sandslash-Alola @ Light Clay
Ability: Slush Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Aurora Veil

I played around with life orb and steelium but ultimately I found I was always wanting for more screens turns. I switched to light clay and have been happy with the change ever since. The main focus of the set is Aurora Veil and Sandslash can consistently get it up. EQ is fine here because if I hit myself, i'll be hitting Abomasnow for resisted damage that's further reduced by veil, so it's worth it to me to have the spread move here.

Mimikyu @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Trick Room
- Destiny Bond
- Play Rough
- Shadow Claw

Mimikyu was the preferred trick room mon for the team and it can reliably get up trick room versus most teams, even people who double attack into it. I've been considering focus sash just to completely guarantee trick room even through people who double attack moves that can ohko into the Mimikyu slot, but for now I'm happy with the Z move. It just makes me need to be a bit smarter with choosing either protect or an attack with Abomasnow leading. Never ending nightmare is cool, but with the amount of intimidate users most games Z destiny bond is the best option to go for as it both has the potential to net a kill as well as takes pressure off Abomasnow. (Something else worth mentioning about focus sash Mimikyu: it dies to hail the turn it sets up trick room if it gets brought down to sash, giving max trick room turns to the mon that replaces it).

Tapu Fini @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 156 HP / 4 Def / 204 SpA / 4 SpD / 140 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Muddy Water
- Protect
- Calm Mind

I mentioned how well Tapu Fini synergizes with Abomasnow. Tapu Fini has great match up versus stuff like Heatran, Arcanine and Marowak, and when Fini leads off with Abomasnow versus a charizard it can easily shut that mon down since Abomasnow mega evolves after Charizard, and thus prevents solar beam. Under veil and sometimes under trick room, Tapu Fini gets ample opportunity to calm mind. While taking chip damage from hail seems like a detriment in most cases, in combination with protect Fini can reliably get its berry in situations where an opponents attack left it out of range of the berry but in range of lethal damage.

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Shadow Bone
- Swords Dance
- Protect

Marowak pairs well with Tapu Fini both under veil, under trick room, or even just side by side/switching in as it's able to draw away electric moves from mons like Tapu Koko to support Fini. Marowak is the second best recipient of trick room for the team. Marowak gets opportunity to set up with swords dance very much like Tapu Fini, by being supported by trick room or veil. Missing out on earthquake is annoying versus Heatrans but protect is crucial on Marowak as it prevents pokemon who are paired with Tapu Koko from forcing it out. Marowak can protect Tapu Fini with its ability alone even behind a protect.

Persian-Alola @ Mago Berry
Ability: Fur Coat
EVs: 100 HP / 156 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Parting Shot
- Foul Play
- Quash

Persion was my last choice and it makes the team so much more versatile. Having Persian in the team means I'm not forced into running full trick room or full veil. It means in some games I can lead "Persian plus something" with maybe Hail in the back, since a lot of times the hail lead or the trick room lead are very much obvious and very much obvious how the opponent will try to counter it. Persian also evens out the speed control for the team, even when not bringing trick room OR slush rush thanks to quash. A well placed quash can very often lead to Marowak or Abomasnow killing a mon that they had no right outspeeding in the first place like Heatran. Persian as a lead is incredibly versatile based off how many supportive options it opens up for me. Persian plus Tapu Fini is really nice lead against teams that might scare me with opposing fake out or spread heat wave. Persian plus Abomasnow (with maybe slash in the back) is great as well in a lot of cases where I can't bring trick room but Abomasnow is incredibly threatening if it can attack without taking a hit from a specific mon (again, a good example being heatran or even Khan). Persian plus Marowak is good for very much the same reason as Abomasnow. Parting shot lets me maneuver around with the team, which is important as I find I need to switch around with Abomasnow and Marowak a lot with this team, Abomasnow because of its speed in tandem with its quad weakness, and Marowak to bring in lighting rod support.

Anyways I've said it several times before but I'll say it one last time, I'm very much a noob when it comes to VGC or doubles in general so I'm really looking for some feedback with the team. Here's a few replays to show it in action. (Low ladder, but I mean I'm a low ladder player ATM).

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7vgc2018-664787769 (Aurora Veil)

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7vgc2018-665159425 (trick room)

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7vgc2018-664795841

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7vgc2018-664674725

Last edited:
Smart play with the replays. I quite like the team, does things well. When I saw the title I was thinking WTF is this team, but it works.

I feel like Mimikyu isn’t really a good option, try a pokemon like Comfey or Snorlax.

I’m not the biggest VGC player, boycotting in 2016 (So much hate), and haven’t learned the meta, so I can’t really do the best rate.

I suggest adding an importable with hide tags, replays, and a team building process.

Great team!

This is a nice team. Good job and welcome to vgc. Personally, the only thing I would change is also the Mimikyu. It was good in VGC 17, but what wasn't, am I right? I just think Cresselia does everything this Mimikyu does but better. If you did have Snorlax on the team, Mimikyu would have a niche as both a Trick Room setter and being able to Psych Up.

Cresselia @ Mental Herb
Ability: Levitate
Evs: 236 HP/ 204 Def/ 68 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 At

- Trick Room
- Psyshock/Psychic
- Moonlight
- Ally Switch/Ice Beam

Good luck getting the 2hko on this Cresselia. It's able to sit next to your Sandslosh (I should honestly be naming Pokemon) and not get damaged by Earthquake which is important to note because Sandslash is able to underspeed some things if you decide you don't want to bring Mega-Abomasnow. A sentiment I would understand honestly with two quadweaknesses to fire. But YOLO, I really like your team. If you're struggling to advance on the latter, admittedly, using a team such as this would make it more difficult.

Hail is usually one of the least used weathers to the best of my knowledge, and that I think stems from just how bad ice is defensively. Another thing that might be holding you back is just a lack of knowledge coming from singles. Having made the jump myself, it just takes a little getting used to. At least you already understand how to make teams for the format. Most people don't realize how important protect is so quickly as you.

This is a nice team. Good job and welcome to vgc. Personally, the only thing I would change is also the Mimikyu. It was good in VGC 17, but what wasn't, am I right? I just think Cresselia does everything this Mimikyu does but better. If you did have Snorlax on the team, Mimikyu would have a niche as both a Trick Room setter and being able to Psych Up.

Cresselia @ Mental Herb
Evs: 236 HP/ 204 Def/ 68 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 At

- Trick Room
- Psyshock/Psychic
- Moonlight
- Ally Switch/Ice Beam

Good luck getting the 2hko on this Cresselia. It's able to sit next to your Sandslosh (I should honestly be naming Pokemon) and not get damaged by Earthquake which is important to note because Sandslash is able to underspeed some things if you decide you don't want to bring Mega-Abomasnow. A sentiment I would understand honestly with two quadweaknesses to fire. But YOLO, I really like your team. If you're struggling to advance on the latter, admittedly, using a team such as this would make it more difficult.

Hail is usually one of the least used weathers to the best of my knowledge, and that I think stems from just how bad ice is defensively. Another thing that might be holding you back is just a lack of knowledge coming from singles. Having made the jump myself, it just takes a little getting used to. At least you already understand how to make teams for the format. Most people don't realize how important protect is so quickly as you.
thanks man I appreciate the help!

This team is really cool and really really interesting. I mean it.
I think a few changes have to be made though.
1) Energy Ball over Giga + HP Ground on Aboma. Both TR and Veil are "stallable", therefore you need to do as much damage as possible as soon as possible. I first calc'd Wood Hammer for bulky waters, but they almost do the same damage, and therefore sticked with Energy Ball. HP Ground is better than Tantrum imho so you can 2HKO 0 HP Tran even through Intimidate. Be careful of Snarl users in team preview though.
I like what you have done with the SpDef EVs.
2) Cress over Mimikyu. As you can see from the following replay, with this Psychium Z Cress I am able to OHKO the Gengar and ensure a way out of the perish trap, other than taking hydros like they are nothing. What's more important though is that psychium ensures TR up even through encores and taunts, which is absolutely pivotal given how slow and bully the team is. I've opted for Ice Beam over Icy Wind as Lando and Mence are mean hoes.
3) I've changed your Marowak spread a little. Now you won't ever 2hko'd by adamant Lando's rock slide. Adamant EQ still 2hko's you though, whatever your investiment is, even through veil. Sadly I didn't found room for an Indimidate user.
4) Alolan Sandslash. I've tweaked the EVs and Nature a bit. I've made it Jolly, which lets you outspeed Scarf Lando and Scarf Lele under Hail. You do lose damage, but I found Slash more useful as a support that does some damage to fat grasses to fire muddy waters later in the game rather than an all-out attacker. The added bulk is nice too I guess. I've changed Drill Run over EQ, as the former does more damage in doubles: notably, it does more to Shuca Tran.
5) I tweaked Fini's spread a bit, but that is just personal preference.

The replay I was talking about, and why Cress is so important:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7vgc2018-667063767

The team now (Aboma's evs are a mess, I know, mb, tried to stuff without calcs):

Abomasnow-Mega @ Abomasite
EVs: 228 HP / 196 SpA / 84 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Blizzard
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Protect

Tapu Fini @ Wiki Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 156 SpA / 28 SpD
Modest Nature
- Muddy Water
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Protect

Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Parting Shot
- Foul Play
- Quash

EVs: 60 HP / 252 Atk / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Iron Head
- Aurora Veil
- Drill Run

EVs: 252 HP / 168 Atk / 20 Def / 68 SpD
Brave Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Shadow Bone
- Swords Dance
- Protect

Cresselia @ Psychium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 20 Def / 76 SpA / 156 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Helping Hand
- Trick Room

I'm on phone now, so sorry if it looks messy. Such a cool team though, I love it.

This team is really cool and really really interesting. I mean it.
I think a few changes have to be made though.
1) Energy Ball over Giga + HP Ground on Aboma. Both TR and Veil are "stallable", therefore you need to do as much damage as possible as soon as possible. I first calc'd Wood Hammer for bulky waters, but they almost do the same damage, and therefore sticked with Energy Ball. HP Ground is better than Tantrum imho so you can 2HKO 0 HP Tran even through Intimidate. Be careful of Snarl users in team preview though.
I like what you have done with the SpDef EVs.
2) Cress over Mimikyu. As you can see from the following replay, with this Psychium Z Cress I am able to OHKO the Gengar and ensure a way out of the perish trap, other than taking hydros like they are nothing. What's more important though is that psychium ensures TR up even through encores and taunts, which is absolutely pivotal given how slow and bully the team is. I've opted for Ice Beam over Icy Wind as Lando and Mence are mean hoes.
3) I've changed your Marowak spread a little. Now you won't ever 2hko'd by adamant Lando's rock slide. Adamant EQ still 2hko's you though, whatever your investiment is, even through veil. Sadly I didn't found room for an Indimidate user.
4) Alolan Sandslash. I've tweaked the EVs and Nature a bit. I've made it Jolly, which lets you outspeed Scarf Lando and Scarf Lele under Hail. You do lose damage, but I found Slash more useful as a support that does some damage to fat grasses to fire muddy waters later in the game rather than an all-out attacker. The added bulk is nice too I guess. I've changed Drill Run over EQ, as the former does more damage in doubles: notably, it does more to Shuca Tran.
5) I tweaked Fini's spread a bit, but that is just personal preference.

The replay I was talking about, and why Cress is so important:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7vgc2018-667063767

The team now (Aboma's evs are a mess, I know, mb, tried to stuff without calcs):

Abomasnow-Mega @ Abomasite
EVs: 228 HP / 196 SpA / 84 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Blizzard
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Protect

Tapu Fini @ Wiki Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 156 SpA / 28 SpD
Modest Nature
- Muddy Water
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Protect

Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Parting Shot
- Foul Play
- Quash

EVs: 60 HP / 252 Atk / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Iron Head
- Aurora Veil
- Drill Run

EVs: 252 HP / 168 Atk / 20 Def / 68 SpD
Brave Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Shadow Bone
- Swords Dance
- Protect

Cresselia @ Psychium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 20 Def / 76 SpA / 156 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Helping Hand
- Trick Room

I'm on phone now, so sorry if it looks messy. Such a cool team though, I love it.
wow these are great changes! thank you so much!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)