Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

What is the reason Choice Scarf users have Defog? I understand how threats like Kartana, Lati@s, or Tapu Koko naturally forces out considerable portion of the metagame, but I personally believe this to be a very unreliable way to remove hazards. It is inevitably going to ruin momentum, and especially if your opponent can scout the item (judging from speed / damage output), they can use Choice Scarf Defog users to take advantage or momentum or potentially use them as setup fodder.
Some teams carrying mons like volcarona, pinsir or other rocks weak wincons require more reliable Defog support, and if your Mon can be outsped, it can be killed so scarf defoggers are very helpful support to ensure you can remove rocks after a safe switch-in. Also for the examples you listed they generally don't have any other coverage options, so you might as well run Defog.

Would there be any chance to get an updated version of this resource? Or if something like this exists can someone link me?

http://www.smogon.com/smog/issue28/teambuilding

I love this guide, but obviously being from Gen 5 a lot of it is outdated for/doesn't include some popular archetypes like stall, Balance and Trick Room. I always find way more success with sample teams, which is a shame because for me building teams is as fun as battling.

Is Z-Celebrate+Stored Power Victini legal to use on OU? I faced a guy in an official tournament with that combo, tried it on Showdown and it didn't let me use it.

I saw at the VR update that Hawlucha rose and it can run Roost to setup on some passive things...Is there anything different in the set besides Roost?

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
I saw at the VR update that Hawlucha rose and it can run Roost to setup on some passive things...Is there anything different in the set besides Roost?
It would just run Roost over Drain Punch, making the four moves Swords Dance, Acrobatics, High Jump Kick, and Roost!

fanyfan

i once put 42 mcdonalds chicken nuggets in my anus
How did av bulu become a good set in USUM when it was a terrible set in SuMo? What does it accomplish that no other bulu set can do?

What is the AV Bulu set that has been rising in Popularity?
It's in Tapu Bulu's analysis page. 248 hp, 60 atk adamant, 144 speed and the rest to spd if im not wrong.

How did av bulu become a good set in USUM when it was a terrible set in SuMo? What does it accomplish that no other bulu set can do?
As far as I know, most Bulu sets in SM act as breakers, but AV set functions as pivot to special attackers and zygarde. Their roles aren't really similar.
If anything, AV Bulu functions like AV tangrowth. But its superiority lies in the fact that AV Bulu isn't set up folder for volcarona and pinsir, nor die to dragonium zygarde. Edit: and also not letting Ferrothorn and Pex to set up hazards

Last edited:

power

uh-oh, the game in trouble
AV Bulu was fantastic late SM - its not a new USUM set. It showed up a bunch in the major tours late in Sun & Moon because of its ability to check Specs Koko, Ash Gren, and even Zygarde (since most are DD) as well as soft check random stuff like Specs Lele even. Its also not a passive sack of shit like Tangrowth, so it doesnt let Pokemon like Toxapex and Clefable in for free. It also partners phenomenally with Scarf Kartana, as an added bonus.

It’s been the first set on the analysis even before USUM was released.

As far as I know, most Bulu sets in SM act as breakers, but AV set functions as pivot to special attackers and zygarde. Their roles aren't really similar.

If anything, AV Bulu functions like AV tangrowth. But its superiority lies in the fact that AV Bulu isn't set up folder for volcarona and pinsir, nor die to dragonium zygarde.
How is Bulu not a setup fodder for Volcarona or MPinsir? What does he do that Tangrowth doesnt?

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
How is Bulu not a setup fodder for Volcarona or MPinsir? What does he do that Tangrowth doesnt?
Some AV Bulus run Stone Edge to prevent volc and pinsir from setting up in its face, granted most of the time you're staying in on them because you either don't need Bulu anymore or would be swept by any of these mons after a set up turn since if they were to attack you lose your Bulu

power

The real point of AV Bulu isnt about not being set up fodder for volcarona and pinsir - most av bulu tend to drop edge for natures madness anyway so they still are set-up fodder.

the superiority comes in AV Bulu's ability to not let Toxapex , Clefable, and other fat walls in for free due to its superior offensive presence, and its ability to provide grassy terrain support to partners like Mega Tyranitar, Toxapex, and Kartana

Tangrowth is complete hazard bait for the likes of toxapex and clefable

it's quite rare to run Stone Edge on Bulu actually. Just that people need to think twice setting up on Bulu. Nature's Madness is a superior option to not lose momentum against Celesteela and Mega Scizor.

Do boosts from setup moves round up or down? I want my zygarde to outspeed and kill tapu Koko after one dragon dance, so should I run 263 or 264 speed to pass Koko's 394?

power

Do boosts from setup moves round up or down? I want my zygarde to outspeed and kill tapu Koko after one dragon dance, so should I run 263 or 264 speed to pass Koko's 394?
They're rounded down. So in this case, you'd want to run 264 Speed.
Fun fact - although +1 Base 70s are normally are one point slower than Tapu Koko, because of this quirk +0 base 70s actually speed tie with -1 Tapu Koko - for example Bisharp vs Tapu Koko with Sticky Web up.

Anyone have a list of pokemon who can now be tutored (or somehow else gained) a move in USUM that really benefits them, which they didn't have before?

Example: Kingler getting Liquidation, so it can take advantage of sheer force.
Another example: Kommo-O now learning Close Combat by level up, and being able to be tutored Drain Punch. Its physical fighting options were quite poor before.
Third example: Togedemaru can get Iron Head and Iron Tail now. Previously, it had basically no steel options.

Last edited:
Anyone have a list of pokemon who can now be tutored (or somehow else gained) a move in USUM that really benefits them, which they didn't have before?

Example: Kingler getting Liquidation, so it can take advantage of sheer force.
Another example: Kommo-O now learning Close Combat by level up, and being able to be tutored Drain Punch. Its physical fighting options were quite poor before.
Third example: Togedemaru can get Iron Head and Iron Tail now. Previously, it had basically no steel options.
Landorus-T: Defog
Toxapex: Knock Off
Magearna: Heal Bell
Battle Bond Greninja: Gunk Shot
Tapu Koko: Defog
Kartana: Knock Off, Tailwind (this Pokemon does not get Superpower)
Tapu Bulu: Iron Defense, Synthesis
Rotom-W: Defog
Tapu Fini: Knock Off
Serperior: Defog
Tornadus-T: Defog
Thundurus: Defog
Azumarill: Liquidation
Gliscor: Defog
Hydreigon: Defog
Araquanid: Sticky Web
Ribombee: Sticky Web
Buzzwole: Swords Dance Drain Punch

via this:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/spoilers-ultra-sm-speculation-discussion.3620322/

GMars

It's ya boy GEEEEEEEEMARS
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

via this:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/spoilers-ultra-sm-speculation-discussion.3620322/
Note that the strikethrough on buzzwole didn’t copy over. Buzzwole did not get swords dance.

via this:

Thanks for the list, that's interesting.

I would also be interested in knowing about some of the less commonly seen competitive ones like Kingler and Togedemaru in my previous post

What is a niche of Dragon Dance Mega Tyranitar? I honestly don't understand (or realize) what is so good about it. I know the bulk aids in setting up but...

...it needs Celesteela and Landorus-T gone or weakened, and its dual STAB is kinda unreliable. Stone Edge, as everyone knows, is lackluster in accuracy and PP, while Crunch doesn't hit too many things supereffectively. I feel like Mega Tyranitar is at most decent sweeper that requires tons of team support that can't do too much in return. I think it is outclassed by Mega Gyarados, which has Mold Breaker to defeat conventional physical walls, regular Gyarados / Dragonite / Salamence which can snowball and have access to Z-move, Zygarde which has insane coverage, and Mega Charizard X which has nasty Stealth Rock weakness but has much more limited counterplay.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
What is a niche of Dragon Dance Mega Tyranitar? I honestly don't understand (or realize) what is so good about it. I know the bulk aids in setting up but...

...it needs Celesteela and Landorus-T gone or weakened, and its dual STAB is kinda unreliable. Stone Edge, as everyone knows, is lackluster in accuracy and PP, while Crunch doesn't hit too many things supereffectively. I feel like Mega Tyranitar is at most decent sweeper that requires tons of team support that can't do too much in return. I think it is outclassed by Mega Gyarados, which has Mold Breaker to defeat conventional physical walls, regular Gyarados / Dragonite / Salamence which can snowball and have access to Z-move, Zygarde which has insane coverage, and Mega Charizard X which has nasty Stealth Rock weakness but has much more limited counterplay.
The fact that Mega Tyranitar has so much natural bulk, in conjunction with Sand Storm making it insane on the special end, lets it set up much more than any of the alternatives. It has a pretty much endless movepool, letting it potentially run both STAB moves, Ice Punch, Fire Punch, and Earthquake depending on what you feel is best on your team. It does indeed need things to be weakened to straight up sweep, but the same can be said for just about every win condition -- Knock Off, Stealth Rock, Sand stream itself, etc. all play into this, so yea while you will have to play the game out, Mega Tyranitar is a fine end-game win condition and while it does not stand out a ton, it is viable and there is a decent amount of appeal to use it.

Also, I do not see how things you mentioned such as lack of PP on Stone Edge or super effective coverage on Crunch when you don't truly need either of these a ton of the time, especially given the nature of any sweeper and the coverage Tyranitar has. I think that saying Gyarados, Dragonite, and Salamence have less counterplay is pretty ridiculous, by the way, as they are checked well by the same things you mentioned above, which barely even check Mega Tyranitar, and other Pokemon. Zard-X is pretty poor right now due to Stealth Rock being so annoying and it requiring far more direct support than Mega Tyranitar. Finally, Mega Gyarados is simply not as good a win condition against offensive teams as most scarf users still RK it at +1 and it lacks the bulk of Mega Tyranitar while it no longer needs to really break through stall w/ Mold Breaker Dragon Dance as stall has taken a big hit w/ the banning of Arena Trap. All in all, Dragon Dance Mega Tyranitar is a very passable set and MTar is one of the best DDers in the tier.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)