Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

Indigo Plateau

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
UU Leader
What's the set for Kommo-o using its signature Z-crystal?
Hard to say for OU since it's bad, but I know in UU it's this:

Kommo-O @ Kommonium Z
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Clanging Scales
- Close Combat
- Iron Tail

Iron Tail is for hitting Fairies such as Clefable for the most damage, since Poison Jab / Iron Head are only doing 51-61% at +1 (plus Iron Tail has a tiny chance to OHKO at +2). If you don't feel like Fairies are problematic for whatever reason, you can run mono stab instead

Hard to say for OU since it's bad, but I know in UU it's this:

Kommo-O @ Kommonium Z
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Clanging Scales
- Close Combat
- Iron Tail

Iron Tail is for hitting Fairies such as Clefable for the most damage, since Poison Jab / Iron Head are only doing 51-61% at +1 (plus Iron Tail has a tiny chance to OHKO at +2). If you don't feel like Fairies are problematic for whatever reason, you can run mono stab instead
Pretty sure you can't hit Toxapex with that though. Wouldn't Earthquake be better than Dragon Dance?

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Alternative: don't use Kommo-O in OU because it will never be close to as good as it is in lower tiers (specifically RU, where the Z crystal for it just got banned). Kommo-O has a few glaring, fundamental flaws that will prevent it from ever being good in OU this generation -- it is 4x weak to Fairy, it lacks any standout stats (110/100/85 offensive stats are blatantly underwhelming for OU and 125 defense is not as great as you would think when it only has 75 base HP and generally runs offensive sets), and it does not have anything else going for it that lets it take advantage of this Z crystal enough to make it a consistent win condition. Overall, Kommo-O probably is not even viable in the tier, let alone worth using on serious teams. I strongly urge posters to stop discussing it here and in other threads (yes, I know this is SQSA, but here's my answer to any Kommo-O related question from here on out).

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
What’s the best item to run on OFSR Garchomp f you Z move slot is taken?
Focus Sash and Lum Berry have been seen on SR SD Outrage EQ whereas LO has been seen on mixed SR sets (“chain Chomper”, LO Draco Fire Blast EQ SR). I suppose pinch berries are also viable as seen by dudes such like NJNP earlier on this generation, but it hasn’t been common in months and is generally best on Veil.

What is the difference between a tank and a wall, and where does Umbreon of all things fit in?
Tank-high damage, high bulk, generally slow but not always. These are your 252 HP / 252 Atk mons like ttar or 3 attacks mega venu.
Wall- max defensive investment, stuff like chansey, skarm and Umbreon. Usually rely on status moves.

What is the difference between a tank and a wall, and where does Umbreon of all things fit in?
From the Smogon Dictionary (Examples are outdated since this is a DP article, but you get the idea)

Tank
A Pokemon intended to take either physical or special attacks and hit back, but does not have to do so consistently over the entire course of a match.
Bronzong is a very potent tank. With Gyro Ball, Explosion, and massive defenses, it can hit enemies hard and take many hits effectively over the course of a match.
Wall
A Pokemon intended to take either physical or special attacks extremely effectively and consistently over the course of a battle.
Skarmory's enormous physical Defense makes it one of the most sturdy physical wall in the game. It also has access to Spikes, Roost, and Whirlwind, three moves that Skarmory has many opportunities to use.
Umbreon would fit in Wall or Tank depending on the set Definetly Wall now that I think about it

Last edited:
From the Smogon Dictionary (Examples are outdated since this is a DP article, but you get the idea)

Umbreon would fit in Wall or Tank depending on the set
Tank-high damage, high bulk, generally slow but not always. These are your 252 HP / 252 Atk mons like ttar or 3 attacks mega venu.
Wall- max defensive investment, stuff like chansey, skarm and Umbreon. Usually rely on status moves.
A wall is passive, a tank isn't. Umbreon doesn't fit anywhere into OU atm unless you're Googly
Thank you guys. Umbreon is often tossed around with those terms, so I wanted to use it as a reference point. Hope your day is good!

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
Nah, it is really up to personal preference unless there is a specific calc that shows an OHKO or 2HKO that you would get or you are using a slower Pokemon that cannot flinch. I do not think there is too much of a consensus besides on like Sheer Force Pokemon (Feraligatr being the main one, which is not even seen as OU viable and we should not discuss it here because of that), where Liquidation is obviously optimal. Try to run some calculations and figure out where your Pokemon is in the speed tiers and gauge which move is better from there when deciding between Waterfall and Liquidation.

Sharpedo is barely seen in OU and runs Crunch / Psychic Fangs / Ice Fang in UU iirc, and P. Kyogre isn't usable in OU so you're better off asking that in the Ubers forum. Generally, Liquidation will be doing around 3% more than Waterfall and has a chance for Defense drop, so I guess it's up to preference but I'd take the bit of added power bc you never know when it might come in handy
I know that, but this is the most active SQSA.

Anyway, thanks!

Edit: Whats the best Defog Gliscor set rn?

Last edited:

Bischler

Banned deucer.

Anyway, thanks!

I personally run Roost/EQ/Protect with it, but I think there's lots of combinations depending on your team. Same goes for EVs, only thing you should imo always do is run enough speed for Heatran

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader

Anyway, thanks!

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 112 SpD / 152 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Roost
- Earthquake
- Defog

I use this set as it outruns +Speed Heatran, Mega Gyarados, and base 80s while also outrunning Adamant Zygarde. The bulk and the moves allow you to handle the hazard metagame well. It is nice to pair with Toxic and Knock Off support, but honestly you can fit those moves on if you wish to drop Taunt, it just worked best for me on that specific team. I am not too high on Gliscor; I feel like it is just sort of underwhelming in general. However, it surely has a place on many bulkier teams as it fulfills multiple roles in which they very much appreciate and I am looking forward to seeing how others make use of it in the near future.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 112 SpD / 152 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Roost
- Earthquake
- Defog

I use this set as it outruns +Speed Heatran, Mega Gyarados, and base 80s while also outrunning Adamant Zygarde. The bulk and the moves allow you to handle the hazard metagame well. It is nice to pair with Toxic and Knock Off support, but honestly you can fit those moves on if you wish to drop Taunt, it just worked best for me on that specific team. I am not too high on Gliscor; I feel like it is just sort of underwhelming in general. However, it surely has a place on many bulkier teams as it fulfills multiple roles in which they very much appreciate and I am looking forward to seeing how others make use of it in the near future.
What type of team are you running that set on? That set seems that it doesn't do enough due to the lacking of both Knock Off and Toxic. I really want this mon to be good, but think as you said it feels disappointing so far. I like the EV spread tho.

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
What type of team are you running that set on? That set seems that it doesn't do enough due to the lacking of both Knock Off and Toxic. I really want this mon to be good, but think as you said it feels disappointing so far. I like the EV spread tho.
Balance with Toxapex and/or Toxic Heatran + a pretty bulky core. I’ve seen a handful of people use it on semi-stall or even hard stall team recently as well and it does best on those sort of teams where status and knocks and just generally crippling the opposing team is prioritized as obviously this Gliscor cannot do that a ton itself with only EQ, Defog and Taunt. I think Knock and Toxic are viable as I said in my post, but they’re far from mandatory depending on the remainder of your team.

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
Why do people make a fuss about Stealth Rocks? It isn't that good, imo.
Stealth Rock is a move found on almost every competitive team. Entry hazards are huge and often times necessary residual damage in order to enact certain strategies or weaken Pokemon in to range for things to kill them later on. Using a Stealth Rock setter should be a priority in teambuilding and setting up Stealth Rock while managing the entry hazards on the field is vital to being successful in competitive Pokemon.

To expand on Finch’s thoughts, stealth rocks and entry hazards in general serve to punish switching. Predicting your opponents actions and switching appropriately is absolutely fundamental to competitive Pokémon and is the primary difference between playing in game or playing against another person. It’s not uncommon in a competitive setting for there to be multiple turns in a row of both sides just switching. Entry hazards are a way of limiting the amount of maneuvering your opponent can do to get the upper hand on you.

As far as SR vs spikes, it’s situational. Stealth rock has the advantage of hitting everything that lacks magic guard and dealing hefty amounts of damage to things that are rock weak, whereas spikes can’t hit mons in the air but offers more consistent damage to those on the ground and can also be stacked. In my opinion, whether rocks or spikes is better depends on the metagame’s state at a point in time (though rocks normally are indeed better), but entry hazards in general are ALWAYS strong in the metagame and nearly mandatory for punishing switches and for the reasons finch said.

Bischler

Banned deucer.
It's quite literally, and unarguably, the single best move in the game and has shaped the metagame and teambuilding around it ever since its introduction. Apart from the reasons finch mentioned, the "core" thing that makes Hazards, and Stealth Rock in particular (because it has the highest damage potential per turns needed for setup), is the fact that it punishes one of the most important aspects of pokemon: switching.

Edit: Sniped

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)