Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

What's the optimal set(s) for Tapu Koko right now? I typically use the pivot set with HP Ice and Taunt, but I've heard about stuff like HP Fire, Dazzling Gleam, and Electrium Z.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
What's the optimal set(s) for Tapu Koko right now? I typically use the pivot set with HP Ice and Taunt, but I've heard about stuff like HP Fire, Dazzling Gleam, and Electrium Z.
The classic Pivot set is still decent, but as seen demonstrated by WCOP, the Z Electrium Wild Charge set is probably the best atm, as it allows Koko to tear apart some of its former checks such as AV Magearna, Mew, and Chansey, as well as dismantle stall. I think Specs is also an underrated set, but its just requires smart play and prediction to use efficiently.

King Sceptile

Banned deucer.
Do you guys prefer HP Fire + Gleam on specs koko or volt switch/hp ice. The ability to OHKO Lando is really nice but smashing Ferro is super cool too.

Is this correct mechanics? It seems really strange (and unfair).

Turn 6

LT41A A4cher1® withdrew Skarmory!

LT41A A4cher1® sent out Toxapex!

GreninjausedU-turn!
It's not very effective...The opposingToxapexlost 4% of its health!
The opposingToxapexis switched out with the Eject Button!

LT41A A4cher1® withdrew Toxapex!

LT41A A4cher1® sent out Tapu Lele!
[OpposingTapu Lele's Psychic Surge!]
The battlefield got weird!
Turn 7

Greninjawent back to EeveeTrainer!

Go! Goodra!

The opposingTapu LeleusedMoonblast!
It's super effective!Goodralost63.5%of its health!
Turn 8
Basically, Toxapex switched into Greninja's U-Turn. Toxapex switched out with Eject Button into Tapu Lele. Greninja U-Turned to Goodra. But somehow Tapu Lele got off a Moonblast that same turn? How? Wasn't his turn taken up with switching into Toxapex?

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-612460267

Is this correct mechanics? It seems really strange (and unfair).

Basically, Toxapex switched into Greninja's U-Turn. Toxapex switched out with Eject Button into Tapu Lele. Greninja U-Turned to Goodra. But somehow Tapu Lele got off a Moonblast that same turn? How? Wasn't his turn taken up with switching into Toxapex?

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-612460267
It wasn't the same turn. The switching effect of U-turn is immediately cancelled by Eject Button. Your next turn was consumed by manually switching to Goodra, not as an effect of U-turn.

It wasn't the same turn. The switching effect of U-turn is immediately cancelled by Eject Button. Your next turn was consumed by manually switching to Goodra, not as an effect of U-turn.
That's really confusing and gay because I clicked on Goodra thinking that I had to switch to a Pokemon >:(

Gary

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Will M-Houndoom get an analysis? Considering it's in BL right now, it could see some OU use
As of now, there is no policy stating that a Pokemon has to get an analysis because it's BL, as far as OU goes. If it's deemed unviable aka not ranked on the VR, there's no reason to give it an analysis.

no

edit: could someone tell me why mega aggron isnt ranked in the vr? it seems like a huge asset for stall, being able to wall nearly the entire physical metagame as well as a lot of special attackers like Tapu Lele and friends
Mega Aggron is outclassed on stall by skarmory, who offers a better defensive typing (the ground immunity is huge), defogs, has reliable recovery (also huge), and can set hazards. On stall specifically, skarmory and chansey form a core that's better at walling both tapu lele and mega pinsir (for example) than trying to do it in one mon with no recovery outside of rest.

A physical wall that's very threatened by landorus-t also can't function in this meta.
252+ Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Filter Aggron-Mega: 126-150 (36.6 - 43.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (that's serious damage when you have no good recovery)

Sorry for such a long post, any help is appreciated.

I have just recently got back into playing Pokemon pretty heavily, however, in the 'competitive' scene I am overwhelmed with all the directions and possibilities. Just kindly asking for a few pointers so to speak.

I have visited Smogon in the past (when I played Pokemon Y) to read up on certain builds for different Pokemon. I know how to breed for the IVs/Natures, train the EVs and hunt for hidden abilities etc.. (I would definitely need help grasping the concept of Egg Moves and how and why to do them)

I get the gist of these tiers referred to in the competitive scene aka OU means overused etc..

I need the most help on understanding the different synergies and team concepts people build around - I simply have no idea where to start

Most of the time when I read a Smogon description regarding a Pokemon's abilities and useful application in certain themes/synergies - I get lost

I want to avoid putting time and energy into breeding Pokemon, just to throw random teams together that don't "gel"

I understand this will take time - especially to be able to post here new team ideas and strategies for others to rate/try out

For example - I followed a build idea on here for Kommo-o (please don't scoff anyone lol)

Swords Dance
Kommo-o @ Life Orb
Ability: Bulletproof / Overcoat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly / Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Dragon Claw / Outrage
- Sky Uppercut
- Poison Jab / Earthquake

How would I use this build as a support Pokemon for a team? (I don't think Kommo-o is a centerpiece for anyone - I just simply started breeding with it)

If using Kommo-o is a waste of time in the OU tier, I don't mind it and will start fresh elsewhere - I love the game and the breeding "grind"

Kindly asking all of the veteran players in this forum to provide some insight and how to start a team's theme - any other resources to look into would be greatly appreciated also!

Thanks in advance

I have just recently got back into playing Pokemon pretty heavily, however, in the 'competitive' scene I am overwhelmed with all the directions and possibilities. Just kindly asking for a few pointers so to speak.

I have visited Smogon in the past (when I played Pokemon Y) to read up on certain builds for different Pokemon. I know how to breed for the IVs/Natures, train the EVs and hunt for hidden abilities etc.. (I would definitely need help grasping the concept of Egg Moves and how and why to do them)

I get the gist of these tiers referred to in the competitive scene aka OU means overused etc..

I need the most help on understanding the different synergies and team concepts people build around - I simply have no idea where to start

Most of the time when I read a Smogon description regarding a Pokemon's abilities and useful application in certain themes/synergies - I get lost

I want to avoid putting time and energy into breeding Pokemon, just to throw random teams together that don't "gel"

I understand this will take time - especially to be able to post here new team ideas and strategies for others to rate/try out

For example - I followed a build idea on here for Kommo-o (please don't scoff anyone lol)

Swords Dance
Kommo-o @ Life Orb
Jolly / Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Dragon Claw / Outrage
- Sky Uppercut

How would I use this build as a support Pokemon for a team? (I don't think Kommo-o is a centerpiece for anyone - I just simply started breeding with it)

If using Kommo-o is a waste of time in the OU tier, I don't mind it and will start fresh elsewhere - I love the game and the breeding "grind"

Kindly asking all of the veteran players in this forum to provide some insight and how to start a team's theme - any other resources to look into would be greatly appreciated also!

Thanks in advance
Hi,
Most of the people here use Pokemon Showdown which completely skips the step of breeding Pokemon. Get familiar with it because its pretty much essential to competitive Pokemon. As for building around Kommo-o, its not viable in OU but with more experience you could probably make a sound team around it. For now I would recommend playing around on pokemon showdown with teams from the sample team thread or the olt laddering teams thread.

Gary

Swords Dance
Kommo-o @ Life Orb
Jolly / Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Dragon Claw / Outrage
- Sky Uppercut

Thanks in advance
If you want to play a tier where Kommo-o is the most viable and effective, Rarelyused is probably the one for you. Kommo-o in OU is just heavily outclassed and wouldn't really be worth the effort building with because of how much it struggles to standout here.

Hi,
Most of the people here use Pokemon Showdown which completely skips the step of breeding Pokemon. Get familiar with it because its pretty much essential to competitive Pokemon. As for building around Kommo-o, its not viable in OU but with more experience you could probably make a sound team around it. For now I would recommend playing around on pokemon showdown with teams from the sample team thread or the olt laddering teams thread.
Ok cool, so Pokemon showdown is a complete simulator - so I can "make" the team I like before I breed in the actual game? good stuff thanks

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
hello!

recently ive been attempting to get into ou but dug is a huge turnoff and seems completely broken from a newer players' perspective. i honestly have no real bias against it and im trying to be open to arguments for it so if anyone knows of some really solid arguments i can scan or if an experienced player / council member could clear up my confusion tht would be great!

if it helps for anything ive only been running the standard zardy dug balance

ty for anyone who can help n-n
The best Dug counterplay atm is waiting for the ban. That aside, you can probably get an idea of some pro dug arguments by checking out the old suspect thread, though it's outdated to an extent so don't expect it to be that helpful.

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
I almost never see Magnezone in OU Teams. Whats going on with it?
It doesn't really trap steels the way it used to. Magearna has volt Switch and Aura Sphere, Mega Scizor has U-Turn, Celesteela I'm not certain about but I've heard it fails to really trap it too. The low speed really holds Magnezone back. People these days tend to go for Dugtrio, who can be used for trapping other threats too and more successfully traps many of these steel types.

At least, that's what I think.

I got sniped, yay. Also yeah dug + Zard y is bad news, rain isn't pleasant with mega pert, etc.

Dugtrio (244 Atk Dugtrio Tectonic Rage (180 BP) vs. 248 HP / 164 Def Venusaur-Mega: 178-211 (49 - 58.1%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO)

Yoshizilla315 I was just curious and didn't wanna ask a one liner in the VR thread, why 244 attack?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)