Shiny Rarity

I cought a shiny sudowoodo and hatched a shiny torchic.
Sudowoodo is brave, and EV'd, didn`t know bout ivs when i got it, so i didnt check. he's great trick roomer though

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I decided to try chaining for shinies, just to see for myself. It took me quite a while to get the hang of long chaining. Once I started following all the chaining advice (Serebii forums were very helpful), I got it down pat. I decided to chain Shinx, since with a Static pokemon lead, they are super-easy to chain. Also, I think shiny Shinx looks really cool.

It took a couple of hours to get my chain to 41. After that, I started resetting for shinies. I went through about 30 Max repels (which is about 120 resets, taking an hour or so) before getting completely sick of the process. I was about to give up and make a post here about how the "high shiny rate with 40+ PokeRadar chains" appeared to be a load of crap, according to my testing. But, I left my DS for a few hours to clear my mind and stop looking at that fucking grass patch on Route 202. When I came back, I decided to finish out my Max Repels, and I had about 20 left. Five resets later -- Boom! -- a sparkle of grass very different than I'd seen before. Sure enough, shiny Shinx...

I was a total skeptic and was prepared to prove it by slaving away for a few hours. Even if you add up all the resets (roughly 150), and assuming I stayed in the middle of the grass for each Radar press, that's only about 600 pokemon encounters. For a 1/8192 occurence, I'd say I would have to be pretty lucky to get that shiny without help from the game.

BTW, I've logged hundreds of hours in all the Pokemon games, and I've never encountered a shiny before, much less caught one.

I'm a believer now.

I decided to try chaining for shinies, just to see for myself. It took me quite a while to get the hang of long chaining. Once I started following all the chaining advice (Serebii forums were very helpful), I got it down pat. I decided to chain Shinx, since with a Static pokemon lead, they are super-easy to chain. Also, I think shiny Shinx looks really cool.

It took a couple of hours to get my chain to 41. After that, I started resetting for shinies. I went through about 30 Max repels (which is about 120 resets, taking an hour or so) before getting completely sick of the process. I was about to give up and make a post here about how the "high shiny rate with 40+ PokeRadar chains" appeared to be a load of crap, according to my testing. But, I left my DS for a few hours to clear my mind and stop looking at that fucking grass patch on Route 202. When I came back, I decided to finish out my Max Repels, and I had about 20 left. Five resets later -- Boom! -- a sparkle of grass very different than I'd seen before. Sure enough, shiny Shinx...

I was a total skeptic and was prepared to prove it by slaving away for a few hours. Even if you add up all the resets (roughly 150), and assuming I stayed in the middle of the grass for each Radar press, that's only about 600 pokemon encounters. For a 1/8192 occurence, I'd say I would have to be pretty lucky to get that shiny without help from the game.

BTW, I've logged hundreds of hours in all the Pokemon games, and I've never encountered a shiny before, much less caught one.

I'm a believer now.
Hmm, thats about a 7.07% chance that you would find a shiny by then assuming that it doesn't help...

Hmm, at very least, we know that the radar helps anyway, due to the simple fact that you're scanning 4 or so pokemon encounters at a time. Nonetheless, I'd like to see some real solid proof of this >_>

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Hmm, thats about a 7.07% chance that you would find a shiny by then assuming that it doesn't help...
Trust me, I was moments away from quitting. I was convinced it was a load of BS. I kept telling myself, "Why am I wasting my time doing this?" For all I knew, I was statistically only marginally closer to a shiny than I was when I started. 1 in 8192 is incredibly long odds. I pride myself on completing some of the more Draconian boredom tasks in Pokemon (and there are lots of them) -- but I wasn't about to chase a 1 in 8000 shot at a shiny.

But, there were enough testimonials out there, and I was a little interested in separating truth from fiction on the whole chaining process. Which, seemed to have a lot of suspicious "rules" that smelled more like religion than science. "Always walk to a shaking grass patch at least four steps away", "Stay away from edges", etc -- that stuff sounded pretty hokey to me, and smelled more like "Pokemon urban legend" and not real gameplay advice.

Well, I have to admit, the chaining advice was spot-on. Almost all of it. The "four steps rule" is a bit of overkill, but probably a good rule to follow when your chain starts getting really long and you only need a few more to get to 40. I felt a little stupid for following all the little nuances of the "chaining ritual", but it did get me out of the 10-20 range and into the 40's.

Once I got to 40, after several resets, I really started feeling like an idiot for spending a few hours on the stupid quest. At that point, I just wanted to keep an eye the number of fruitless resets I was making, so I could proudly quote the number when I told everyone about my complete waste of time, that everyone else should avoid. Even though I was sick of it, at 100 resets after chaining 40, it just didn't seem like enough resets to claim "I really tried". So I decided to get to 200 and then I would post my failure, along with all sorts of snide comments about the crap people were saying about using the PokeRadar for finding shinies.

And I'll be damned if a shiny didn't pop up. I couldn't believe it. I was excited and a little disappointed at the same time. I REALLY wanted to call bullshit on the whole thing. But, I have a legit shiny, and I can honestly say I worked hard for it (inasmuch as pokemon boredom tests can be considered work).

I know 7% seems somewhat reasonable, but that also means there was a 93% chance I would find nothing. I just don't think I'm that lucky. I won't claim that this was a real scientific test or anything. But, if there are any fellow skeptics out there, perhaps my tale will help you decide whether or not you want to give it a try. If so, please post your results...

What about that equation that someone (Mario with Lasers, I believe) posted about loadingNow discovering the formula for the PokeRadar? I mean this in the most polite way possible, but...is that not proof enough?

i got the game 2 days before the game was officially released in the us and currently have 683:24 hours and i still didn't come across a shiny (due mainly to battling but i'm not complaining.)

cuz shinies aren't really that important except to show off. normal ones are just as good.

Lol, before I started breeding I was a shiny hunter! I caught 138 shinies with the poke radar (2 of them appeared in a normal patch, so they were just random - calm shiny Blissey!!) and I got 3 of them in 3rd gen!

I also got a total of 3 boxes full with traded shinies.

0_o

I actually have a few competitive shines I managed to get. I had a brave fainted ralts in my lead position while chaining Lickitungs and got 3 shiny(two brave one is now a brave gyro ball/explosion Lickilicky) and Another time I had a modest ralts in my party lead and got 3 shiny ralts(two modest one serious). About 10 minutes after that I came back for more but I was sleepy and accidently stepped into a patch that didn't shake on about the fourth poke and lo and behold an orange kricketot appears:happybrain:

I have only caught three in D/P, I was a able to catch a shiny gyarados(adamant), a shiny machoke (lonely), and a shiny feebas (impish). poke radar doesnt work for me, my highest chain is 20.

I've found a total of 3 so far. Shiny Gentle Hariyama on my Ruby.

I found a shiny Jolly Zubat on my Emerald at Meteor Falls. Made me happy to get a good nature for it.

Finally back on my Ruby when I was riding on my bike I found a shiny Lax Skarmory.

My only three shinies are a Dratini & Rayquaza I got from a giveaway, and an Espeon I traded for. The Espeon's EV's are mad screwed up too...

My only shiny was a 'z' Unown while searching for either the '?' or '!'. I had HP Water. After hearing about chaining, I've wanted to try it, but never got around to it.

Nonetheless, I'd like to see some real solid proof of this >_>
http://pokeguide.filb.de/downloads/chain.pdf

I honestly understand almost none of it, but by looking at the chart at the bottom, it would appear that the chances of finding a shiny at a chain of 40 is ~1/190.

Toothache

Let the music play!
is a Community Leader Alumnus
I've seen precisely two shinies in my own games, an Electrike from Emerald, which I caught, and in Leaf Green, a shiny Venomoth in the Safari Zone, which promptly ran away.

I have three shinies, all in Ruby--a shiny Aggron evolved from a Lairon I caught on Victory Road (there was a LOT of luck involved--my Minun nearly KO'd it with Spark, and then the Lairon used Take Down which showed me it, fortunately, had Rock Head, and it didn't use Roar, and I caught it on the first or second Ultra Ball...), a shiny Hariyama (thank goodness it didn't use Whirlwind...), and a shiny Zigzagoon.

But other than that and a shiny Lickitung I once owned on Silver, nada. I'm not complaining too much though... :3

(On Diamond)
I actually hatched a shiny Ghastly with amazing IV's and a modest nature at 40 or so hours.
I also SR for a shiny Dialga but it has docile nature :/
that took me about 3 hours.

but other than that I've never caught or seen any shiny pokemon in any of the previous games, not including Red Gyarados.

I have caught 3 shinies in my entire time of playing pokemon
shuppet, mareep , and tentacruel which was the only pokemon that I encountered on the sea route to the E4

My bro caught a shiny spearow the day that he complained about my shinies

I've played lots of pokemon games with only 2 shinys
-leaf green Golbat(now Crobat)
-Ruby Poochyena(now Mightyena)
I'm currently trying to get a shiny Torchic.With little luck =/

My first and only shiny caught has been Gastly in FireRed. I don't recall well the circumstances, but I believe I was EV training by killing Gastlys. After a while of killing the undead, I found it. I was in shock for a couple of minutes; I was glad I had some pokeballs. Very fun times.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
My first and only shiny caught has been Gastly in FireRed. I don't recall well the circumstances, but I believe I was EV training by killing Gastlys. After a while of killing the undead, I found it. I was in shock for a couple of minutes; I was glad I had some pokeballs. Very fun times.
A mod posting in a 4-year-old thread necro'd by a first time user... Oh my.

That said, I found a shiny Ratatta in a Nuzlocke once. Fuck Nuzlocke rules, I caought the bastard. It had Run Away. Close enough.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)