Shaymin Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

skarm

I HAVE HOTEL ROOMS
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I don't think enough people are seeing it from this point of view...

While the testing is going on, on the Suspect Ladder, for 1-2 months, the Standard Ladder will have the same amount of time to play with Shaymin-S. We'll have enough data with (probably) over 2 months of Standard and 2 months of Suspect IMO.
That might be true, Havak, but I think that even giving it a Suspect Test will just fuel the Shaymin-S is uber fire. I disagree for numerous reasons that Skymin deserves to be looked at, but I'm sure that's already been debated in the Platinum discussion threads in Stark Mountain.

I'm worried that we're getting far too eager to put things up for suspect testing. Garchomp needed to be done, but in reality we should be trying to add more Pokemon to Standard and not taking them away.

My point in my edit about testing Latios and Latias before testing for Deoxys-S/Shaymin-S bans I think still holds merit. With a full range of options, we should try to add more to the metagame before removing. Such as, if Latios and Latias do get moved to Standard without Soul Dew, that might mean we have to look at moving Skymin down again, assuming it gets banned.

If we test things to add after removing others, then its not getting the full spectrum of what it might face. If we test to add before removing, we might find some problems will balance themselves out.

I will reiterate: Skymin is nowhere near the level that Garchomp was. It takes 25% from SR, and is very fragile.

However, I will not disagree with testing it eventually, but I think we should let the Platinum hype die down a bit first, and testing additions to the metagame first before banning tests.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I personally feel this kind of "moving X down might make Y viable" is a bit silly, as I really don't feel as if doing anything like that could improve OU (though I may be wrong). At the moment I'd say it's not the fact that Shaymin-S is too good, but the fact it's been on almost every team so far. This has made the number of "viable" Pokémon decrease for the time being. With Heatran (now seemingly all Timid Choice Scarf), Mamoswine and Zapdos on the majority of teams. Scizor and Salamence were obviously going to get a lot of use as they were the other things hyped up thanks to their new attacks.

Now, I understand that a lot of you may feel that the game will obviously be incredibly centralized with Platinum moves only usable for roughly 1 week so far. But I don't think we're being too hasty with a decision to go ahead with testing right now. The game will develop and change within the next few months, so why shouldn't we get the data from the opposite ladder at the same time to speed things up? As already stated, we've taken far too long with decision making so far, and I personally feel it's a bit of a joke. By the time we have a steady set of tiers, generation five will be out lol.

skarm

I HAVE HOTEL ROOMS
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Now, I understand that a lot of you may feel that the game will obviously be incredibly centralized with Platinum moves only usable for roughly 1 week so far. But I don't think we're being too hasty with a decision to go ahead with testing right now. The game will develop and change within the next few months, so why shouldn't we get the data from the opposite ladder at the same time to speed things up? As already stated, we've taken far too long with decision making so far, and I personally feel it's a bit of a joke. By the time we have a steady set of tiers, generation five will be out lol.
Alright, I can fully agree that certain things have taken far too long to decide, but I can't judge as I wasn't here for the majority of the Garchomp debate.

If this is the case I do suggest, like others, that Deoxys-S be tested first. That's been on the docket far longer than the one week Skymin. People like new things and they like to complain about new things. Give it two weeks and we'll probably see a difference of opinion, or total apathy.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeh, either is fine by me. I'm agreeing on both parts, testing Shaymin-S and Deoxys-S, I'm not fussed which is done first as long as they get done soon.

One other thing I forgot to mention though. The majority of the players who like to complain about Shaymin-S probably won't meet the standards to vote, so I don't think there's much to worry about in that respect.

Aeolus

Bag
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Fuck, I don't care anymore. Let's just test something. I was originally operating under the assumption that the whole voting process run by Jumpman that put DX-S in OU was still valid.

I don't think it matters much either way... so we'll just have a small poll of Inside Scoop posters to see who we'll test first. Go vote. Closes in 48 hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)