ORAS NU Shake and Bake: My 2nd NU Team

My reason to decide on the NU tier stemmed from when I made a wifi team and found that 2/3 of it was NU. After some modification to make my team NU-valid, some losses, and some MORE modification, I've found a team that seems to be working well. Most of it is typical NU fare, with two Pokemon that are somewhat rare in NU play. And so, without further adieu, here is:

Shake and Bake
64px-BT352.png
64px-BT601.png
64px-BT241.png
64px-BT110.png
64px-BT467.png
64px-BT171.png

Team Details:
200px-Angela_Kecleon.png

Harold (Kecleon) (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Protean
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 128 HP / 128 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Power-Up Punch
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch
Kecleon is the wallbreaker, special tank and one of the two oddities on this team. I typically use him as a lead to destroy and deter Rock-setters that also lead. Dispite the underuse of Kecleon in NU, my Kecleon set has shown it to be adept at killing tanks like Aggron and Mega Audino, and has even swept once or twice (in addtion to often being a win-con).

250px-Klinklang_anime.png

Fish (Klinklang) @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Return
- Substitute
- Shift Gear
- Gear Grind

The other unconvetional addition to this team is Klinklang, the late-game sweeper and one of the two offensive Pokemon on my lineup. I carry a set which is typical for a Klinklang to use. Return is nice for raw damage where Gear Grind can't make the cut (type effectiveness, as an example) and as a finishing move. Substitute is essential for the safety to both set up a Shift Gear and avoid burns from the likes of Rotom and Weezing. Shift Gear boosts Klingklang to potent levels, while Gear Grind is the go-to attack, hitting twice to break subs and sashes.

200px-Harrison_Miltank.png

MilDANK (Miltank) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Def / 252 Spe
Careful Nature
- Body Slam
- Heal Bell
- Milk Drink
- Stealth Rock

The job of Stealth Rocker, cleric and a generic wall falls to Miltank, who has shown herself to be a cornerstone, but a vunerable one at that. The set is relatively self-explanatory: Body Slam for damage, Heal Bell for curing team-wide status, Milk Drink for recovery and Stealth Rock for hazards. However, due to it being a cleric, my team can sometimes become enfeebled if Miltank goes down.

250px-Frank_Weezing.png

Ben & Jerry (Weezing) (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 128 HP / 252 Def / 128 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 252 Def / 252 HP
- Sludge Bomb
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Dark Pulse
Weezing (unsurprisingly) is the physical wall of my team. Boasting both Will-O-Wisp and Pain Split for recovery, this is another Smogon-recommended set to cripple and outlast the physical attackers in the tier like Aggron and Hitmonchan. The reason I chose to add Dark Pulse was the fact that it provides coverage to Psychic types and can hit Steel types neutrally.

300px-Magmortar_cannon.png

Fondue (Magmortar) (F) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 SpD
Ability: Vital Spirit
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Flame Charge
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Thunderbolt

Barbaracle was changed to Magmortar due to a feared Pokemon in NU that was previously uncheckable by my team: Lilligant. Thanks to Vital Spirit and a Fire typing (clearly), Magmortar fit the bill as the Fire type my team was lacking. However, it doesn't have much use outside of that except raw power, and often needs as safe a switch as possible to survive.

210px-Kyle_Lanturn.png
Frying Nemo (Lanturn) (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 Def / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 252 HP / 126 Def / 126 SpD
- Scald
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Ice Beam

Lanturn is the bulky pivot of the team, and also sports the ability to burn, freeze or paralyze while it attacks. It's essential a swiss army knife of a wall, and can be either physical or special. In addition, Volt Switch has been consistently handy as a momentum-getter. However, Lanturn has no real purpose outside of being bulky.

Checks and Counters:

Clerics
Though not a strong offensive presence, the main problem with clerics like Miltank and (especially) Lanturn is that they heal status, which makes physical attackers (an honorable mention on this list) lose their burns and come back to life, often to my chagrin.

64px-BT128.png

Until a ban happens, Tauros is the biggest single terror my team faces. Thanks to Fire Blast, Weezing cannot completely cover it, and so the job falls to Lantern, who often preforms lacklusterly in the face of Tauros.

Hazards
Hazards simply chew up my team, especially Magmortar. Since I have no hazard remover, they can due murder to my team.

And that's it! Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated! Thanks for your time!

Hello, I'd like to give you a first rate.

Kecleon / Klinklang / Miltank / Weezing / Magmortar / Lanturn

First of all, your EV spreads are quite weird and suboptimal. You should take a look at the analyses spreads.

You have a pretty obvious weakness: Flying-type mons, especially Archeops which has a lot of fun with your team. This is why I would replace Kecleon that I find pretty subpar here by SR Rhydon.

The use of Miltank here is quite suboptimal as well, since Magmortar is enough of an Ice check and Lanturn checks Fire mons. I would replace it by Tauros now that you have a SR setter.

Outside from that, the team seems pretty fine so here is an importable with the good EVs and Moves since some of them aren't optimal (such as Dark Pulse Weezing).

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 240 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Megahorn

Klinklang @ Leftovers
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shift Gear
- Gear Grind
- Return
- Substitute

Tauros @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Rock Climb
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Iron Tail

Weezing @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 108 Spe
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sludge Bomb
- Taunt
- Toxic Spikes

Magmortar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 64 HP / 252 SpA / 192 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Grass
- Earthquake / Flame Charge

Lanturn @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 SpA / 132 SpD / 124 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power Grass

Have fun with your team.

Abejas

Yo where Ken at
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Hey pretty cool team you've got there, tho I have to agree with Earth that some ev spreads are not the best and could be fixed.
First off when you use klinklang you want the most counters you can have for steelix since its one of the best counters to klang, so I recommend switching out kecleon for xatu providing a solid check to most steelix and also providing hazard control, thing that you said you were pretty weak to them. And also xatu lets you weaken other stops for klinklang like gastrodon.
Xatu @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Timid Nature
- Grass Knot
- Psychic
- Roost
- U-turn

Another thing that your team lacks is speed so I think switching out magmortar for swellow is a nice option for the team. Swellow provides a very fast revenge killer and also a great partner for klinklang being able to lure in steelix and put a big hole on it. And also luring other bulky ground types that can be anoying for klinklang.
Swellow @ Choice Specs
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 1 Atk / 30 SpA
- Boomburst
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Seeing as tauros isnt going to be banned and that also archeops can be a huge threat to the team and that you also lost a huge grass check being magmortar, I recommend switching up the miltank spread and ability seeing that miltank can just check all the mentioned above. It also provides some speed control with thunder wave or can also be a cleric if you want that.
Miltank @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 248 HP / 120 Def / 120 SpD / 20 Spe
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunder Wave/Heal bell
- Seismic Toss
- Stealth Rock
- Milk Drink

Finally I would say that changing thunderbolt for Hidden Power Grass on Gastrodon would be a good idea, luring gastrodon and helping klinklang sweep on the late game.
tl;dr:
>

>

Change up the set
Hidden Power Grass over thunderbolt.
Xatu @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Timid Nature
- Grass Knot
- Psychic
- Roost
- U-turn

Klinklang @ Leftovers
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shift Gear
- Gear Grind
- Return
- Substitute

Swellow @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Weezing @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 108 Spe
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sludge Bomb
- Taunt
- Toxic Spikes

Swellow @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Lanturn @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 SpA / 132 SpD / 124 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Hope I helped and good luck with the team :]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)