Seek and Destroy - An OU Warstory by reyscarface and Syl

Excellent match with good (although long x_x) comments from each side. Good format as well. I wouldn't be surprised if this match would be archived like with your last warstory.

Good job for breaking the streak of sub-par warstories lately. Enjoyed it!
This summed it up very nicely, excellent job!

9.5 / 10

Both players showed some excellent prediction skill, I give the slight edge to Syl in that department, but Rey won (sort of) and that's what counts.

Warstories are always better with both players comments.

That was probably the best warstory I've read here. Both sides played very well, I enjoyed seeing teams without Scizor or Latias (JACKPOT!), and the commentary was interesting. Great job guys. Syl, Agility Gliscor came completely out of left field, I didn't see that coming at all.

Very good match, left me wondering how the hell rey was going to come back from 3-6 down. Double commentary is always a nice touch too.

As expected,This is an excellent warstory.The commetary was flawless and the battle was superb.It also had some good laughs(lol Sweeping Agility Gliscor)

10/10 Archive for sure

Nice Warstory. I enjoyed it. The random cussing didn't bother me as it kind of even more in depth look at what you were thinking.

iss

let's play bw lc!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus

is all I can say. Fantastic warstory guys, hope to see it in the archive soon.

Wonderful warstory. Brilliant prediction from both sides along with an unorthodox team made it a very memorable battle. Also enjoyed double commentary (I love watching Rey squirm). One thing that is bugging me though:

Syl said:
I still have my unrevealed Charge Beam Jolteon, so I send it.
Why didn't you use Charge Beam on the 28% HP Magnezone? Even if that didn't kill, an HP Ice Magnezone wouldn't have OHKOed max HP Jolteon. You could have had 2 chances to get the boost and then OHKO his Salamence with Thunderbolt.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Why didn't you use Charge Beam on the 28% HP Magnezone? Even if that didn't kill, an HP Ice Magnezone wouldn't have OHKOed max HP Jolteon. You could have had 2 chances to get the boost and then OHKO his Salamence with Thunderbolt.
I'm assuming because...

Syl said:
Magnezone might have Explosion so I'm just going to kill him.
He also knew that rey's last Pokemon was Salamence (and probably a DD one considering the stage of the game), so if Salamence was the standard Naughty/Naive DDMence then LO Thunderbolt would have OHKO'd on average after Stealth Rock anyway. Unfortunately for Syl, it was a bulkier version. I'd probably have done the same, but it didn't pay off for him on this occassion.

(did your zone have explosion, rey? oh and even though you put it down as a draw you would have still been able to win outright if your Mence DD'd on Jolteon then Roosted to buy a resistance before finishing with EQ)

sweet battle rey, this battle had me hooked! I never thought i'd see ice fang, (heck not even agility) on a gliscor! Really creative, Syl! I love warstories and this is one done right! Keep battles like this coming!

Hi all, I'm kind of new here but I've been playing on Shoddy for a while. Thanks for all your posts about this warstory. Answering some of them :

I had a feeling that Syl was gonna go for the DD just based on his unorthodox nature but when I thought about it it seemed very risky (and not just for the obvious reason) - Syl was obviously banking on you using Rapid Spin but if Starmie was indeed running the standard Rapid Spin EV spread he would have been able to survive +1 LO EQ or SE. I guess you were running a 4/252/252 spread?
I agree with you. I was trying to put a lot of pressure on Rey and to stop giving him free turns. But DDancing was very risky and not quite rewarding enough if it didn't allow me to at least kill Starmie. The standard spinner would have indeed survived a +1 SE. Fortunately, Rey's Starmie was running a less bulky spread.

Another thing that concerned me was rey's confidence that Weavile would be able to revenge Syl's +1 Adamant Gyarados because if Gyara were to run 252 Spe, he'd have 391 speed compared to Weavile's 383.
Rey made the right assumption here since my Gyara was running just enough speed to be faster than max speed Starmie at +1.

Oh, and btw, I absolutely hate players who bluff during a match, it requires way too much thinking. Plus, its a really dirty trick.
I consider bluffing as part of the game really, whether via talking or playing. It just adds another dimension to it.

and some fairly simple mistakes (not using Substitute against Azelf when Stealth Rock was the obvious play, given you'd just revealed Salamence in the wings).
SR wasn't such an obvious play. I was hoping that the threat of Trick/Fire attack was enough to make Rey attack and kill Azelf, or even switch. I really wanted SR to go up but it was late game and there was no way for Rey to assume I was crazy enough to let him get a free Sub+a free attack (since Azelf was scarfed). Again, it was very risky on my part and had I thought longer I'm not sure I'd have made that choice.

I thought the real triumph of the story was Syl's team, I thought it was amazingly well put together, and Rey's matched up perfectly in quality.

And somebody else has put HP Fighting on Jolteon to kill Tyranitar! This must be done more often, I tried it on a team back in November to somewhat hilarious results XD

Last Comment, a bit of dirty playing from Rey at the end there :o but I guess psychology is something that the Shoddy Battle chat window does allow for...

Syl's unorthodox team was very nice and this battled shows how big his balls are with some of the moves he made.

DD'ing with Gyarados while Starmie is in play? Insane.

Great warstory!

When it was infernape vs. salamence, why didn't you use fire blast? because of blaze and stab and intimadate, it would have done more damage than stone edge, plus could have hit any switch hard.

But aside fromt hat one mistake that would have won you the game, great warstory, and I loved the unorthadox team.

What I don't get is why Syl used Agility when the game was already his. If he EQd Rey had to bring in Mence or die. Mence can't really deal with Gliscor, as if it's MixMence it loses 10% to Life Orb, same procedure with DDMence, who can't Roost up against Life Orb'ed Ice Fangs. 10% would have been enough for Jolteon. But I dont wanna appear nitpicky :x Generally it was a great battle and a really enjoyable read, thanks guys ^_~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)