Saw Emperor again last night!

Exactly one year ago I saw Emperor play at the House of Blues in West Hollywood. This year they played the Key Club, and it was incredible. We went nuts the whole night.

The opening band was called Martriden, and they played some sort of black/death metal hybrid, but it was all pretty mid paced, about the speed of an Iron Maiden song. Needless to say, it got pretty boring, but they do have a lot of talent. The vocalist was great but he didn't move at all, he just stood there.

Then we got Abysmal Dawn, a death metal band that pretty much got the crowd fired up for Emperor. These guys were great, I really enjoyed them.

But not as much as Emperor. Emperor is the perfect mix of aggression and progressiveness. If it wasn't for Emperor, a lot of today's extreme prog acts wouldn't be able to exist. Here was the set list:

Burning Shadows of Silence
Cosmic Keys to My Creation and Times
Thus Spake the Nightspirit
An Elegy of Icaros
Curse You All Men!
With Strength I Burn

little break because of guitar difficulties. They had a quick little drum solo, and a lot of bass, keyboard and guitar doodling. Really awesome. Every time my section of the crowd asked for something, the band would do it. You could see that they were having fun with it.

Towards the Pantheon
The Loss and Curse of Reverence
In the Wordless Chamber
Inno a Satana

---

I Am the Black Wizards
Ye Entrancemperium

Great fucking show. Last year, the guitarist Samoth wasn't allowed to come to the US, but this year they brought him along and it sounded that much better. We got a great treat last night, one of those shows that hopefully will make DVD, it was that good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)