Gen 6 Sample Teams for Starting XY Ubers

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Sample Teams for Starting Ubers
Welcome! This thread is an archive of successful XY Ubers teams that players can use to learn the metagame or just to give them new takes on certain teamstyles. XY Ubers is a fun metagame, but it can hard to build for due to the sheer power of the many threats roaming the tier, as well as the fact that many top Pokemon in other metagames may not be as good or even viable in Ubers. These teams have been built by proven players and will get you well on your way to learning the metagame and building your own teams. Feel free to use any of these teams for your own benefit!

Team Submission Guidelines

Team will be added to the archive at the discretion of myself and fellow Ubers moderator Melee Mewtwo. Anyone is welcome to post a team that they feel is worthy. If you wish to submit a team, you must include the following in your post:
  • An importable
  • A brief explanation of how the team works and what each member does. You may also include any successes the team had on ladder or in tournament play.
Here is the link to all of Donkey's teams before anyone asks: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/spl5-a-showcase-and-analysis-of-the-donkey-teams.3502035/

Also here is a link to Edgar's Teambuilding Compendium if you want to make your own team: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/xy-ubers-teambuilding-compendium.3511096/

Happy reading!

Last edited:

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Sample Teams Archive

BeNNs - Problems

BeNNs (Yveltal) @ BlackGlasses
Ability: Dark Aura
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 68 Atk / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 184 Spd
Mild Nature
- U-turn
- Dark Pulse
- Oblivion Wing
- Sucker Punch

BeNNs (Arceus) @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Fire Blast
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake

BeNNs (Tyranitar) (F) @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Atk / 156 SDef / 8 Spd
Careful Nature
- Roar
- Stealth Rock
- Crunch
- Pursuit

BeNNs (Palkia) @ Lustrous Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Hydro Pump
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast

BeNNs (Gengar) (M) @ Gengarite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Destiny Bond
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Bomb

BeNNs (Excadrill) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Right, so we've got the pretty much standard evs which were used for a typical Tyranitar last gen but I feel it still fits fine for right now. Obviously I needed Sand Stream so I decided to go with Ttar over Hippo due to just generally having special defensive bulk, ability to switch into Ho-oh, scaring out Mega Gengars and pursuiting them (which should be a KO after rocks) and ability to wall things like random arceus forms like Dark. I'm using Smooth Rock over something like Lum or Chopple due to the fact Tyranitars probs the most 'dead weight mon on this team at the moment so having 8 full turns of sand over 5 is alot better as I'll normally sack this thing to sleep or use it as a sack for pivort when I know I don't need it and I want sand up. Also acts as a nice way to break sashes turn 1.

So as I said the teams built around Excadrill being the Xerneas check, also acts as a deadly late game sweeper as the majority of the ground resist flying mons are pretty bad this generation so its hard to wall this thing late game, you can change this set to jolly if you're worried about people using a more speedy Geomancy Xerneas but not really much reason. Excadrill brings a nice electric switch in so it can come in a few times vs Zekroms and threaten out, also its ability to spin is very nice for this team as it doesn't really appreciate hazard stack.

Right now we have the 2nd part I thought of going into the team we have the broken as fuck mon Mega Gar for you here ladies and gentleman. So, as I mentioned earlier the trap turn core I have (Abusing U-turn on Yvental into this) works so well as most things that wall and switch into yveltal (not very many things at all) are just straight up trapped and killed by this thing like Blobs, Xerneas and other fairy types. Also acts as a nice Arceus form check when you've mega evolved to trade mons 1 vs 1. Please not this aswell its worth putting Icy Wind on this sat as you can trap lando-t's (max hp veriants) and straight up kill them so your opponents Excadrill checks/coutners are gone. This forms a great back bone for the team taking away things which threaten mons sweeping.

We have the tru nigga itself Yveltal which is such a deadly pokemon in XY its such a pain to play vs as so little things actually switch into it and yeh the Trap-Turn core is op this is my dedicated levitate for this team also. Its also my main Mewtwo switch in, bar for the Mewtwo-X's which have been popping around as of late (Which I'll talk about later). I use blackglasses over something like Life Orb as its nice to always preserve health with this thing as its always switch in and out, also it comes in handy when I feel like bluffing a choiced item and top power up the Dark moves.

The Palkia for every team is here, so everyone knows you pretty much need Palkia on every team and why wouldn't you use it its a monster hardly anything like switches into it. Kyorge switch in obviously and water move absorber, Palkia will always be one of the top tier mons due to its amazing coverage and typing. Lust Orb is used to have the extra damage output

The God of Ubers itself, fuck Arceus man really. So ya going into building this team Arceus was the last spot I had and honestly why wouldn't you wana use Arceus Normal with Mega Gengar the combo is so borked honestly its cancerous gengar traps the majority of the things that wall this. I'm using Silk Scarf over Lum as I wanted the extra power with this thing which comes in use at times getting more KO's.

Space Jam - Fireburn

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Earth Plate
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Roost

Deoxys-Attack @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Rash Nature
- Psycho Boost
- Superpower
- ExtremeSpeed
- Knock Off

Zekrom @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Lonely Nature
- Bolt Strike
- Outrage
- Draco Meteor
- Volt Switch

Arceus-Water @ Splash Plate
EVs: 252 HP / 160 SDef / 96 Spd
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog
- Recover

Xerneas @ Leftovers
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 252 SDef / 248 HP / 8 Spd
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Roar
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Landorus-T is really popular right now among a lot of Ubers players and for good reason - it's like Groudon except it doesn't make your team weaker to Blaziken. In all seriousness though, Landorus-T's access to U-turn, Ground/Electric immunities, and Stealth Rock are why its on this team. I originally used a defensive set but switched to Earth Plate after a recommendation from my bud Melee Mewtwo and it works much better, still checking most of the stuff the defensive set does well enough while pressuring threats such as Defog Arceus and Specs Kyogre much more effectively.

Landorus-T's main purpose on this team is to set up Stealth Rock to help beat down birds and give switches to Deoxys-A or other team members with U-turn, being the first of three users of U-turn/Volt Switch this team has. It also checks really dangerous things like Groudon, Ho-Oh, Zekrom, and Blaziken who are all really dangerous otherwise. Although U-turn is mostly for buying Deoxys-A chances to come in, its also nice for pivoting out of things like Kyogre and Gengar pre-Mega evolution that think they can try to nab a free switch. In fact, I'll generally use U-turn first if my opponent has these Pokemon so they dont get a free switch on Landorus-T's Stealth Rock - Kyogre in particular is an important target to weaken to help diminish the power of Water Spout, and even getting one small hit on it goes a long way.

Mega Scizor is a pretty popular Mega Evolution in Ubers for its ability to act as a solid check to both Xerneas and Extremekiller Arceus. It is not as good at this as it used to be since Hidden Power Fire Xerneas/Overheat Arceus are getting more popular and the rise of Klefki gives it more competition, but it still does its job well enough. It's a solid offensive support Pokemon that checks some top threats and does what it needs to.

Mega Scizor is actually quite a bit bulkier than normal Scizor which is part of the reason why I'm using it, having Skarmory-level Defense and noticeably higher special bulk. It's main job is to switch into Xerneas, Extremekiller, Gengar, and Mega Kangaskhan and either kill them or use U-turn on a predicted switch to allow Deoxys-A to come in and maintain momentum. Mega Scizor doesn't have the best coverage in the world but it is certainly no slouch offensively, boasting a solid base 150 Attack stat and reasonably powerful moves. Bullet Punch and Roost are standard, and U-turn is pretty obvious too given the purpose of the team. Superpower is needed to check Extremekiller and Kangaskhan, and it has the added bonus of stopping Mega Blaziken from setting up on Mega Scizor. I used to run Toxic, but I mostly just U-turned off Ho-Oh and I was having problems with Ferrothorn so I changed it. It also takes a large chunk out of Klefki so it can't just use Mega Scizor as Spikes fodder.

Deoxys-A beats Pokemon with move.

For the sake of having more than three lines of description per Pokemon, Life Orb Deoxys-A really is a force and is the main reason why this team works. Simply put, there are only like two common Pokemon that can switch into this set without instantly getting murdered - Yveltal and Klefki, and neither of them are completely safe either since Superpower 2HKOes the latter and does like half to the former. It completely destroys most stall cores and is still quite effective against offense due to having priority and base 150 Speed. It does take good prediction skills to use Deoxys-A to the fullest since it literally can't take any hit, but with all the VoltTurn on this team that problem can be compensated for. Deoxys-A ends up being my win condition in a lot of games, but I mostly just use it as a wallbreaker, bringing it in as often as I can.

Zekrom is pretty much the reason why most Ubers team run Ground-types. Its usefulness has been greatly augmented in a metagame where birds are more prominent and Latias isn't around to help beat up Kyogre, and it also helps to revenge kill Calm Mind Arceus formes and the dangerous Mega Mewtwo Y. Most Ubers teams need a Scarf or some sort of speed control to not get run over by Mewtwo and Darkrai, and Zekrom easily kills them both while also packing Volt Switch to help maintain the momentum and faciliate the goal of getting Deoxys-A into battle. Zekrom is also usually the cleaner, picking up the pieces Deoxys-A left in its wake.

The moves are pretty straightforward - Bolt Strike is the main STAB attack, boasting impressive killing power even with just an attack boosting nature. Outrage is backup STAB for Dragons in case Zekrom needs to clean and the enemy's Fairy is dead. Draco Meteor is a cool option since it gets a big hit off on Groudon, Gliscor, and Landorus-T and kills Dragons without resorting to Outrage. I used to run Dragon Claw, but Draco Meteor accomplishes most of the stuff Dragon Claw does while giving Zekrom a way to pressure its own checks. Volt Switch doesn't really hurt but its important for maintaining momentum and it gives me another way to get a free switch for Deoxys-A.

Arceus-Water is the glue, basically. This team uses switching moves a lot and hazards are not conducive to that strategy so I needed some form of hazard control. Arceus-Water is also the obligatory Kyogre check - it's not a particularly good one, but between Zekrom, SpD Xerneas, and Earth Plate Landorus/switch move spam to help soften up its Water Spout it's usually adequate. What Arceus-Water does do well, however, is be the glue - it soft-checks tons of Pokemon like EKiller, Ho-Oh, Kyurem-W, Kyogre, Ground-types, and Flash Cannon Dialga, and is probably the most reliable Defogger because of that since it gets a fair amount of opportunities to come in. Not much else to say about it really, it's a support Arceus forme and Waterceus is one of the best ones.

Xerneas's main role on the team is actually to check Yveltal, who is otherwise a pretty big threat to the rest of my Pokemon and especially Deoxys-A. It does a lot more aside from that though - it also walls Dialga without Flash Cannon and Palkia very nicely, provides me with a status absorber, and gives me a way to soft-check CM Arceus via phazing until I can get it into a good position for me to KO with Deoxys-A or Zekrom. This set can also check other Xerneas as well - my Xerneas always lives +2 Moonblast after SR and phazes it with Roar, neutralizing Geomancy. Xerneas can also act as a backup check to Scarf Kyogre since it isn't 2HKOed by Modest Surf and can stall rain turns or fish for Moonblast SpA drops if necessary. Xerneas doesn't usually come out much if I play correctly, but when it does it performs very well.

Mawile Lordsquad - Edgar

Scolipede (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Endeavor
- Pin Missile

Mawile (M) @ Mawilite
EVs: 248 HP / 36 Atk / 224 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

Shaymin-Sky @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Seed Flare
- Air Slash
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Healing Wish

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 88 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off

Kyogre @ Leftovers
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 236 SpD / 24 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Roar
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Arceus-Dragon (Arceus-Ghost) @ Spooky Plate
EVs: 248 HP / 144 Def / 116 Spe
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Will-O-Wisp
- Calm Mind
- Recover

I'll start off with Scolipede since it's the one of the main Pokemon. With Hyper Offense dropping down thanks to the Defog buff, lead Spike setters have definetely fallen off the market however, Scolipede is one of the few lead hazard setters that still work in the current Ubers metagame, thanks to its Speed Boost ability it is able to do the job in a much easier way as it can beat other leads like Deoxys-S/A. The reason why Scolipede is good overall in a Defog metagame is because it learns Endeavor, which allow him to do massive damage to a Defog Arceus after its Focus Sash has been wasted, meaning that the hazards are here to stay thanks to the poison damage they would receive from Toxic Spikes. The EV spread is pretty straightforward, 252 with a Jolly nature allows me to outspeed Deoxys-S after one turn of Speed Boost and I need 252 Attack EVs just so I can 2HKO said pokemon with Pin Missile. As for the moves, Spikes are a common hazard that almost every Scolipede has and they are really useful on this team especially since I have massive threats like Mega Mawile and Arceus-Ghost. Toxic Spikes as I mentioned were the main idea for the team as they help Skymin a lot when I'm locked into Air Slash with it, as the poison damage combined with the Air Slash damage and the advantage of having a 60% chance to flinch the opponent are factors that make Toxic Spikes really good on this team. Endeavor allows me wear down any pokemon that I consider a threat to my team when my Focus Sash is broken, mainly Defog Arceus and Ho-Oh. Pin Missile allows me to 2HKO Deoxys-A/S, which is something a lead definetely needs.

Skymin has always been one of those underrated mons, but I personally have always been a fan of it, it is extremely fast and tear down a lot of teams just by clicking Air Slash. As I mentioned when I described Scolipede, Skymin with the help of Toxic Spikes is deadly, it makes the opponent feel powerless when receiving a lot of damage from Air Slash and poison damage while he/she might not be able to do anything thanks to Air Slash's high chances of flinching, thanks to its Serene Grace ability. I chose to use Choice Scarf because it was a set I used in BW2 Ubers a lot and I really enjoyed using it. Being a really fast pokemon allows you to run Modest nature on it and even with that, it is able to outspeed the standard Geomancy Xerneas after it sets up with that nature and EV spread. The moveset is pretty standard on Skymin, Seed Flare is its signature move, 80% chance of giving your opponent a -2 on its Special Defense stat, that's just brutal, it is useful for taking out pokemon like Arceus Rock, Groudon and Specially Defensive Kyogre. Air Slash is the move I lock myself into 99% of the times as it is incredibly useful to take out stuff like Mewtwo (X/Y), which would normally stay in against Skymin because it is normally faster than it and I can just flinch them to death with it lol. Hidden Power Rock is only used for checking Ho-Oh after Stealth Rocks. Healing Wish is godly on Skymin as it can heal what I would consider my consider my win condition at the end of the game, this becomes very useful whenever Mawile has to check a pokemon aside from Xerneas in a battle as even if it gets worn down during the battle I can heal it up with Skymin, which is still faster than a +2 Xerneas and then be able to check said pokemon.

Probably my favorite pokemon on the team, Mega Mawile has always been a powerful, being the pokemon with the most attack in the whole game. A few months ago, I was trying to make a Specially Defensive Mawile as at that time no one was using an "offensive" Xerneas check. That in mind, I locked my sight into mawile into Mega Mawile as it had in my opinion, the best typing in the game at the moment, Steel/Fairy, which would allow it to switch into another big threat in the game: Yveltal. I also figured this could be achieved since Mega Mawile's offensive stats are already really good with no investment. With all this said, the EV spread allows me to take one Focus Blast from a +2 Sp.Atk Xerneas and then retaliate back with an Iron Head and potentially OHKO or put Xerneas in Sucker Punch range. With that much Special Defense, I would be able to live two Dark Pulses from Life Orb Yveltal and OHKO back with Play Rough. The EVs also allow me to OHKO Kyogre and Palkia with Sucker Punch at +2 Attack. The moveset is pretty similar to the one Mega Mawile uses in OU, the only thing that may be different is Iron Head over Knock Off. I'll just say that Sucker Punch is really helpful when I need to check stuff like Mewtwo as it catches a lot of people off guard. Iron Head and Play Rough are just common STAB moves that, with the help of its Huge Power ability hit like a truck.

Landorus-T is a great pokemon on this team, being my ground and electric immunity, while being able to set up Stealth Rocks and checking Ho-Oh, Extremekiller Arceus (with the help of Arceus-Ghost), Blaziken, and Zekrom, which all of them would be big threats without him. I chose defensive Landorus-T over the Earth Plate set because I figured that a pivot switch-in with Leftovers recovery was needed and not only that, the extra bulk is needed just to be able to switch into mayor threats like Extremekiler Arceus, although something that I like to do is not going to Landorus directly, but going to unevolved Mawile instead (when I can afford it) and therefor bait Arceus into using Earthquake while being -2 Attack when I decide to go to Landorus or Arceus in some cases. About the EV spread, I run a lot of speed because just to make sure I outspeed any Substitute Ho-Oh with Speed investment. The moveset is also pretty standard, Earthquake is a really powerful STAB move and Stone Edge hits Ho-Oh really hard (even if burned). Stealth Rock is a mandatory hazard for every team that helps wear down my opponent's pokemon. Unlike most of Landorus-Ts, I run Knock Off over Toxic since I asume Toxic Spikes are up and Toxic would seem like a waste, Knock Off is also good for any Geomancy Xerneas that would like to switch in and set up on me, as I would Knock Off the Power Herb on the switch-in. Arceus also doesn't appreciate the Life Orb or Silk Scarf to be Knocked Off, which makes the move on Landorus totally worth it however, sometimes I wish I had Toxic so you can definetely change that if you want when using this team.

As the 5th member I decided to use Specially Defensive Kyogre as it would fit on my team really well. Being able to switch into Palkia and opposing Kyogre pretty well, not to mention that it is also useful as a side Yveltal and Xerneas check. Kyogre also allows me to abuse hazards as it has a phazing move in the form of Roar, that allows me to check Calm Mind Arceus formes to an extent as well. As you can see a lot of the movesets on my pokemon are fairly common, Kyogre is not the exception, ResTalk is pretty common (from my own experience in the Ubers ladder while getting requirements for the Gengarite suspect test). Scald is such a deadly move, hits really hard due to Kyogre's massive Sp.Atk and can also lay a burn on the opponent's Ferrothorn pokemon as they switch it in. Roar is for phazing pokemon like Xerneas and Calm Mind Arceus that would like to set up in front of Kyogre. Rest is a common recovery move and Sleep Talk allows me to not be completely powerless while I'm asleep.

Arceus-Ghost has always been one of my favorite pokemon to use, although some people might argue that it is bad in this generation, I think it's great, taking care of Mewtwo, burning pokemon with Will-o-Wisp like Arceus or Yveltal is also really nice since it enables me to check those pokemon in a much easier way. It is also one of my win conditions on this team. Arceus-Ghost also has really good synergy with Mega Mawile since they take out each other's checks. The EVs allow me to outspeed Jolly Garchomp and I added some Defense for general bulk that is need to take Psystrikes from Mewtwo. As for moves, Judgment is a great and powerful STAB move that hits everything that is not a resist really hard. Will-O-Wisp allows me to handle physical attackers better in general, it may seem weird that I'm using Will-O-Wisp on a Toxic Spike abuse team but sometimes my opponent manages to Defog or they have a Steel type that I really need to burn, Will-O-Wisp is also good in case I find Lum Berry Arceus, which is annoying for this team. Calm Mind is an end game strategy of my choice after I get rid of the checks with Mawile. Although Calm Mind is good, if you have a lot of trouble with hazard stack teams you can run Defog over Calm Mind, Arceus-Ghost is also one (if not the most) of the most reliable Defog users in the tier. Recover is just a standard recovery move that every Arceus needs.

Mega Gengar is Hot - aim

Deoxys (Deoxys-Speed) @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Knock Off

Gengar (M) @ Gengarite
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Taunt

Yveltal @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Rash Nature
- Oblivion Wing
- Dark Pulse
- Sucker Punch
- Foul Play

Groudon @ Lum Berry
Ability: Drought
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Rock Polish
- Swords Dance

Arceus @ Silk Scarf
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Shadow Claw
- Swords Dance

Palkia @ Lustrous Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spacial Rend
- Fire Blast
- Hydro Pump
- Thunder Wave

If anyone knows me they know that I love spike stacking offense, especially in Ubers! I decided on using the fastest and most reliable one, Deoxys-Speed. We went with the standard spread of Max HP and Max Speed Jolly Nature to speed tie with other Deoxys-S as well as be able to survive Tyranitar's Crunch plus sand storm damage most of the time. Stealth Rock and Spikes are a given. Taunt was chosen over Magic Coat as it blocks Defog and prevents threats like Arceus and Xerneas from setting up. Knock Off was chosen as the final move to break opposing Deoxys-Speed sashes as well as cripple pokemon like Landorus-T for an easier sweep with my Ekiller or Groudon.

The star of the team, Mega Gengar! This mon is causing quite the ruckus in the Ubers tier. HP Fire Gar is what made this team perform so well. He lures in pokemon like Mega Scizor and knocks them out most of the time with HP Fire. If Stealth Rock are up Mega Scizor just dies. Gar also traps Skarmory which lets Ekiller and DD Groudon have a field day. Sludge Wave is standard to smack Xerneas as well as hit most stuff for neutral damage doing a hell of a lot, i might add. I chose Shadow Ball over Focus Blast or Destiny Bond because it allowed me to hit Groudon and Landorus-T harder, for the first more accurately and pave the way once again for my Ekiller/DD Groudon. Taunt to break stall and beat Chansey/Non Shed Shell Bliss(don't even think this exists with Gar in the tier) 1 v 1. An alternative spread of 180 SpA / 76 SpD / 252 Spe could also be used to take +2 Moon Blast from Xerneas and do a crap load back with Sludge Wave putting it in range for Ekiller to revenge kill, but Xerneas doesn't set up for free vs anything without taking the damage I need first.

My Mewtwo and Gar check, if the latter even exists. Able to severely dent 'switch-ins' with Dark Aura boosted Dark Pulse plus recovering 75% of the damage done with Oblivion Wing. This mon is just a monster with hazards up on the field. This ev spread allows Yveltal to always survive +2 Adamant Silk Scarf Ekiller's espeed (who always try to set up on Life Orb Yveltal) and knock it out with Foul Play in return. Foul Play also smacks Ho-oh for massive damage, knocking out CB variants. We opted for Life Orb over Black Glasses as it allowed us to hit Xerneas hard enough to put it in range of Ekiller's Espeed. The spread allows us to outspeed base 90's and standard GeoXerneas.

DD Groudon. Such a powerhouse. With support from Gar getting rid of Skarmory and trapping Support Arceus Grass this man just ravages through teams. With the speed investment at +2 you outspeed the whole metagame bar Scarf Skymin and Scarf Darkrai, the latter not being able to do much due to Lum Berry. Lum Berry was a pretty obvious choice as it allowed us to dodge pesky Will-o-Wisps and annoying Toxic's. We went max attack for the damage output. Again we wanted this team to be as "Xerneas proof" as possible so being able to dish out major damage was the job of all the members. Groudon provided a nice Zekrom check for the team and was generally a monster late game.

A pokemon that needs no introduction, Arceus. Ekiller is what I would call the glue of the team. It keeps threats like Xerneas in check. With Gar support the last move did not have to be Overheat as Arceus now had an easier time sweeping late game with Skarmory/Mega Scizor, specifically Superpower variants, gone. Lum Berry was an option over Silk Scarf but the damage difference was too much to give up. Another set we tried was Jolly 252/252/4 to outspeed and knock out Mega Gengar before it mega evolves but again the damage difference was easily noticeable and could cost us more than two pokemon vs Xerneas and kills vs Zekrom after rocks. Ekiller being a threat since way back.

Our Kyogre check and hard hitter vs opposing rain teams. Palkia is just a monster with a Lustrous Orb. We opted for that over Assault Vest for the damage output and the ability to Thunder Wave, stopping Xerneas from sweeping and crippling annoying pokemon like Arceus-Water/Grass. Spacial Rend, Fire Blast and Hydro Pump have perfect coverage in Ubers, the latter being able to 2HKO everything if a neutral hit bar Blissey/Sylveon. Thunder was tested but Fire Blast was missed vs annoying pokemon like Ferrothorn who would Leech Seed and Thunder Wave my switch-ins. Toxic over Fire Blast was also tried with Leftovers over LO. This helped vs Arceus-Electric but once again we found ourselves missing Fire Blast. All in all, Palkia did its job well.

(BAN ME PLEASE)h - Hack

Groudon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Roar

Ho-Oh @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Atk / 52 SpD / 40 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sacred Fire
- Thunder Wave
- Roost

Kangaskhan (F) @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

Arceus-Water @ Splash Plate
EVs: 252 HP / 160 SpD / 96 Spe
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Defog

Gothitelle @ Leftovers
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Rest
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Heal Bell

Yveltal @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn
- Foul Play
- Oblivion Wing

Groudon is essential for a team that uses offensive Ho-oh imo. Its advantages over Lando-T are noteworthy on this team, being able to phase out Ekiller and of course fueling up Ho-oh on occasion. Stealth Rock is a staple for obvious reason, I have seen ignorant users denying the usage of this move on their team because they carry Ho-oh and a defog Arceus. Stop doing this. It's bad. Controlling the hazard game is extremely important, sometimes you need SR up to limit some threats more than your opponent needs his SR up vs you. And after eliminating a defogger with Goth and KOing the opposing SR setter, you can opt to make rocks stay for the rest of the game, which ofc helps the cleaners of the team, Yveltal and Kanga. Earthquake is strong and STAB and Stone Edge is there for obvious flaming turkey reasons. Roar's main niche being able to stop Ekiller, but also prevents greedy GeoXerneas or such to set up, always nice to have and definitely needed to facilitate defensive Groudon's niche over Lando-T.

T-Wave Ho-oh gets a lot of laughs against it. All people who are dissing this, fuck you, you suck. T-wave Ho-oh is absolutely needed so Ho-oh can check most Xerneas when healthy. It also slows down Arceus-formes, Yveltal, Darkrai etc, which is a godsend. Other than that the set is pretty standard, if you read my RMTs previously I have talked about Ho-oh too much anyway. Brave Bird because obvious STAB is obvious and Sacred Fire because best physical move in the game. Roost is needed on LO Ho-oh as it is quite the tank. My EVs are optimized to take a +2 Xern Thunder at full, some speed creep and rest for hitting hard. The Goth support enables me to remove Arceus-Rock very easily, making this executable against pretty much any team.

As explained, Kanga allows for somewhat "lazy" team building. It does check a lot of fast threats and emergency answers to Xerneas for example. Other than that, it's a pretty hard hitting mon. I feel the set I use is needed here, it's absolutely standard with EQ being there for Dialga mainly, Sucker P for more priority is always nice in the metagame and Return for STAB. For a gimmicky tour setting i guess shit like Ice Beam, Double Edge, Fire Blast, Low Kick etc can work but this is the most consistent set for a reason. As mentioned, the synergy with Gothitelle is enormous, Heal Bell allows me to play even worse than when you normally pair Kanga+Goth, which is nice for me since I suck.

Haters gonna hate. But really, this mon is in general more consistent than any support Arceus forme for this type of team. It doesn't aggravate the team's weakness to anything and checks a bunch of threats like Kyogre, Dialga, Lando-T, Yveltal etc. This is my primary answer to Kyogre, although Kyogre can Thunder this team isn't as passive as most sun balance teams and can punish a choiced Kyogre severely with Gothitelle. This is general what I actually like the most about the team, a simple Groudon sack for sun and you have a +6 Goth vs the whale. Since Waterceus can be overpowered by Kyogre much easier than Grassceus, who can hit it hard, this is a main point that I feel the need to address. Again, the support Goth provides with Heal Bell is impressive. By burning a Dialga lead while taking the Toxic, you'd normally lose the war of attrition to said mon, Heal Bell Goth ensures a 100 % safe way of stalling Roar-less Dialga out as well as taking away the crippling status on my Defoger. Very nifty support indeed. Compression is rather important in the meta and I feel Waterceus does the most of what it's got here. It is Gothitelle weak so that's a match up I might lose, though one has to remember a Kyogre+Goth tactic can easily backfire as Kyogre boosts my STAB Judgment to a point where it can 2HKO Goth on the switch in. Also remember than Groudon+Goth can trap and kill my opponents Kyogre in an emergency so all isn't lost if you lose this mon, but play it carefully anyway.

It might seem like a pretty cut off mon from the Gothitelle concept, but it really appreciates having walls removed since it is rather weak. As I said, I needed an obligatory Psystrike sponge and MMX check so here we are. Yveltal glues the team together pretty nicely I feel. Dark Pulse is nice and obvious, rking MMY and Gengar is nice af. U-turn should be used wisely, it's piss weak and this Yveltal isn't as good at building momentum as it seems. Pretty nice synergy with Goth in general. Foul Play prevents Ekiller to set up, I also live a +2 Espeed so I got that going for me which is nice. OWing is a broken move on LO Yveltal but it's kinda piss here. Still needed for the occasional MMX (pretty dull mon btw) and can grant some recovery. Sleep Talk can be used but with Heal Bell and the decline of Darkrai's usage I don't think it's that necessary.

I think I have gotten sick of the term "star of the show" or "big kahuna" but what the hell here is the star of the show. Goth is fucking broken as fuck and this set is my personal take on a mon that has been used successfully by many top players. Rest+CM+Psyshock are staples, although Psychic can be used I like going 1v1 against the occasional CM Arc I happen to trap. These three moves are all Gothitelle needs to remove a vast majority of the support meta, stuff like conventional Defog Arceus (not ghost among a few) as well as Roar-less Dialga/sdef Kia and Klefki just to name a few. As mentioned WoW Arceus being removed means Kanga can wreck havoc on the opposing team, Ho-oh's only counter gets trapped, Yveltal gets some bulky walls (fairys) out of the way.

Heal Bell is the gem of the set, I think it's a very fun and rather effective move, although I can partly agree on its flaws (hi Kebabe). I would be lying to myself and you all if I said that a team with a defog Arceus doesn't need anti status support. An absorber is in all honestly not easy to find, sdef Ogre doesn't fit for example, and even then there is no absorber that can beat all status users anyway. Being able to Heal Bell off burns from Kanga and Groudon, poison from Ho-oh and Arceus-Water and Thunder Wave from Yveltal is just so flexible. The way you play Heal Bell Goth is similar to a standard Goth. You find a mon you wanna trap, trap it and do you CM+rest thing, and then spend a turn on clearing status from your team should i be relevant to do so. Really easy to execute, although it lacks TR Goths sweeping potential, it can still remove defensive threats opening up for team mates to abuse the holes it created.

Sticky Web - Dice

Shuckle (M) @ Mental Herb
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Rock Tomb
- Toxic
- Sticky Web
- Encore

Gengar (M) @ Gengarite
EVs: 180 SpA / 76 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sludge Wave
- Thunder
- Destiny Bond
- Taunt

Kyogre @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Water Spout
- Hydro Pump
- Thunder
- Ice Beam

Landorus (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Earth Plate
EVs: 96 HP / 220 Atk / 192 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
EVs: 248 Atk / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Explosion
- Ice Beam

Arceus (Arceus-Fairy) @ Pixie Plate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Calm Mind

in my opinion, this is the only good shuckle set and the only good sticky web user. smeargle sucks and you should stop using it. this shuckle cannot be beaten by anything barring arbitrary magic coat users which i am always cautious of. against a deoxys-s lead i tended to encore turn 1. if they used magic coat, the encore failed as it was rebounded my way. if they used taunt or stealth rock, i can act accordingly by switching or setting up sticky web. encore can just annoy so many teams even when expected and is a necessary move to prevent shuckle from being set up bait. rock tomb lowers the speed of deo-s leads and can lead to a gengar trap and can tickle ho-oh which is definitely important. toxic goes aong with encore in the sense that set up is always prevented. toxic seems to be pretty unseen on shuckle, so i oftentimes toxic'd an important pokemon like hippowdon which was a gamechanger down the road. keep in mind that shuckle can live any hit, even water spout with sturdy, so, with mental herb to block taunt, sticky web is practically guaranteed. max spdef is what i run to take on yveltal / xerneas who often lead and attack shuckle and it lets me tank their attackers much better.

please notice that my shuckle doesn't run stealth rock. shuckle should never run stealth rock. it does not have the space for it and you are making all your games more matchup related if you have it which adds to the "hit or miss" stigma. just run a separate stealth rock user-- it's not hard and will benefit you more in the end.

kyogre provides a lot of necessary traits to this team and is definitely the mvp if i were to name an individual pokemon for the job. kyogre is the sole water resist; this seems shaky at first, but opposing kyogre aren't a big deal: i just need my own in case i face a defensive ogre for a switch in. kyogre also outspeeds and overpowers all cm arceus, so a pokemon like yveltal or darkrai isn't needed. kyogre helps against the ho-oh switch which is always pesky, especially to sticky web teams due to the fact it is immune to said hazard and can just spam stab attacks. lastly, kyogre provides one of my main stallbreakers as nothing on stall (or offense) wants to tak a specs water spout to the face. the set and ev's are standard. kyogre is part one of two of the most dangerous core on this team, the second part of it would be genesect. i'll discuss how it works. next generally though, kyogre is just used to spam a powerful move against all teams and checks a few important pokemon by virtue of typing which this team loves.

i bet you haven't seen this guy since bw ubers that much (or if you have the team was probably bad). genesect has an interesting niche on sticky web of checking geo xerneas with iron head due to the speed reduction while providing a scarfer. a scarfed pokemon seems rather unnecessary at first because i could just use band scizor or something, but genesect can lead against annoying pokemon like darkrai which could sleep shuckle otherwise and prevent sticky web giving my team many more options. genesect lures in pokemon like ho-oh and landorus-t on its u-turn which in return allow specs kyogre to come in and demolish which makes the core so lethal. the moveset and ev's are standard. i prefer explosion as my last move in case i need to suicide switch if i can't afford to switch in and it's a great move for that. it also does a nice chunk of change to any non ghost/steel type which is greately appreciated. max attack and iron head is needed to actually check geo xern, and ice beam is here for pokemon like landorus-t, rayquaza, and gliscor.

landorus-t is the almost necessary ground-type and stealth rocker which can check so much in the metagame. groudon, lucario, ekiller, tyranitar, etc-- landorus-t can pivot against almost every physical pokemon in the metagame and do big damage with an earth plate set. i like the earth plate set as defensive feels far too eweak, especially on this team, and i just wanted power and the typing. it is my stealth rock setter, as i said, as it is terrible on shuckle. the ev's allow me to outspeed modest scarf kyogre and nail it with an earthquake if need be. stone edge hits yveltal / ho-oh / rayquaza and co. and u-turn is for momentum. u-turn can tandem off with genesect for a nice u-turn combo, and u-turn is also nice when i'm against a weakened mewtwo and i can u-turn instead of earthquake for momentum instead of losing it when they choose their switch. landorus-t is pretty simply though and fits like a charm.

the big kahuna which has stirred up a lot of fuss in ubers: gengar himself. as you may have noticed, my gengar is slightly specialized but it does what it needs to do so well on this team. thunder gengar is huge: it does a good chunk to kyogre which could switch with impunity onto any other move otherwise and force me to destiny bond which could leave open room for shuckle to be defogged on. thunder also hits yveltal, ho-oh, lugia, etc. and is quite an underrated and clutch move. it works even better as i have a kyogre so it lets me actually hit once in a while if rain is up which is always a positive. i'm just a fan of taunt + bond on gengar as it lets me suicide against any pokemon and haunt stall with taunt. i suppose taunt is the most replacable move, but i'd keep it. poison stab is standard instead of shadow ball as the latter hits nothing important which the former hits stuff like xerneas for SE and hits neutral to most others. gengar's role is to act as a secondary check to pretty much everything like ekiller while trapping bulky arceus which could defog on shuckle. its typing and speed is crucial for an overall fastmon which can suicide against important pokemon and trap and kill others. its effectiveness is utilized for sure. the ev's let me live a +2 moonblast iirc if it ever comes down to that.

it looks like an ekiller, but pretend its fairy. arceus fairy rounds up the team and gives it some much needed resistances like against dragons and dark-types. yveltal in particular was a huge threat otherwise and arceus-fairy negates it. this arceus form is great on sticky web as defog + xerneas is oftentimes a threat is played correctly, however, it can't even set up on my arceus forme because of fairy aura boost my moves and almost ohkoing xerneas after stealth rock at +1. he's crazy strong. besides yveltal though, arceus fairy can act as a nice stop to all pokemon which could cause a problem such as dd groudon and palkia. it provides offensive synergy by having its main counter, ho-oh, lured in by gengar which can allow this dude to sweep, but it also manifests many weaknesses in teams. who really thinks about cm fairy arceus while building? this takes advantage of that: it's ridiculously hard to counter and provides defensive and offensive synergy which makes it the best last slot. i've had arceus electric here before but it checks ekiller / yveltal / xerneas far worse and i don't think that it's th best set for this team.

The Ultimate Art - Level 56

Nirvana (Scolipede) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Spikes
- Pin Missile
- Endeavor

End Of The Line (Arceus) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Shadow Claw
- Earthquake

Vagura (Groudon) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Fire Punch

Screaming soul (Gengar-Mega) @ Gengarite
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Taunt
- Destiny Bond

Song Of Storms (Kyogre) @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
- Water Spout
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Thunder

Alexandria (Xerneas) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 4 HP / 32 Def / 252 SpA / 220 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Rock Slide
- Aromatherapy
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Note: This team is meant primarily for ladder play.

This pokemon is one of the best leads in the XY ubers tier, the best thing about this pokemon is its ability "speed boost" it can deal with nearly every type of lead after getting a +1 speed boost, basically the main objective of scolipede is to spread the deadly toxic spikes and spikes under your opponent's feet, these toxic spikes helps you throughout the battle because nothing can set up easily after coming in. Pin missile is the perfect stab move for scolipede, it totally destroys most of the leads such as deoxys, mewtwo etc. Spikes, you guys know what these are for. Endeavor is a great move for hitting scarfers such as kyogre and dialga, palkia, yveltal leads because pin missile doesn't put a scratch on them.

Scolipede is completely useless vs giratina-origin (with defog), as its moves are resisted by gira, so If you ever see a gira In your opp's team don't send scoli as a lead.

Groudon is my favourite stealth rock user thanks to its high physical defense it can easily set up SR againt any physical attaker. It checks nearly all of the biggest threats of the tier such as Ekiller, rayquaza, Mewtwo X and ZEKROM. One big reason why I decided to use groudon on this team instead of hippo, lando, gliscor etc, is because it checks extreme killer arceus wonderfully, (hippo can also do that but it stops the momentum of an offense team). Eartquake as usual don's only decent stab move which hits things like dialga, palkia etc. Roar is a perfect move for groudon specially when you have layer of spikes/tspikes at your oppenent's side. Lastly I use fire punch instead of stone edge because mega scizor is an annoying mon for groudon, it can deal with defensive don easily (with roost) and also scizor with defog is even more annoying, also grassceus is another mon which can easily come in vs groudon and can use defog quite comfortably.

Kyogre is ofc the queen of scarf pokemons, it has unbelieveably strong moves such as WATER SPOUT, oh god! this move hits like a truck specially when there are tspikes below your opponent's team, it even 2ohko's grassceus and waterceus if they try to switch in vs kyogre when tpsikes are up. Only palkia can hardly come in when tspikes are up otherwise one mon has to sacrifice itself when kyogre comes in at full health. Next up is surf, another decent STAB move which ohko's threats like mewtwo, mgengar, darkrai etc. Ice beam, well you use this move very rarely and you guys know when to use it. The last move is THUNDER! this is truly a gift for kyogre, because this move doesn't miss in rain and you guys should know how drizzle works. Kyogre is the best scarfer on scoli teams as it pressure's most of the mons to switch hence why I use it in 80% of my scoli teams.

Xerneas here is my switch-in to the deadly ygod. Kyogre can also somewhat check ygod but you always need kyogre at fresh health. Scarf xerneas works like heaven specially when your up against offense teams. When this team was built I was using geomancy xerneas because I was already using one scarfer but then I realized that kyogre can't do the job alone, hence why I decided to use scarf xerneas. This babe totally owns everything except some of the steel types along with poisonceus, but outside of that moonlast hits like hell. Moonblast 2hko's everything which doesnt resist it when tspikes are up. Rock slide is for Ho-oh which owns scarf xerneas if you don't have rock slide. Hidden power fire works fine along with groudon's drought, hits stuff like mega scizor, aegislash and ferrothorn. And lastly aromatherapy, tbh I rarely use this move in a pokemon battle, only when my gengar gets paralysed or my arceus gets burned (only like in 10% of my battles).

Because of this Mega Gengar people are starting to quit XY ubers, this mon can do those kind of things which no other pokemon can. Mega gengar is basically used in this team as a stall breaker, for example trapping support arceus, chansey, gastordoon etc, this pokemon not only breaks stall but also is guranteed to kill at least two mons In an offense team due to its strong sp atk and strong STAB moves. First move is the deadly "sludge wave", this move hits everything like hell which does not resist it, specially those annoying fairy type mons. Next up is shadow ball which is the perfect move with sludge wave, shadow ball hits stuff like aegislash and poisonceus with a nice secondary effect. "Taunt" well you guys know what this move do so no need to explain. And lastly destiny bond, with this move gengar can be considered as an (adamant) ekiller check and can waste any mon you'd like to waste if the 50/50's are played correctly. The only big problem for gengar is pursuit users, besides that its a complete beast.

Arceus-normal, one of the biggest threats in the pokemon world, the great late game sweeper thanks to its deadly STAB move "extreme speed" is the last member of this team This pokemon is basically used as a geomancy xerneas check (if it sets up) on this team, as there are no real counters for geo xerneas in this team but with the power of tspikes/spikes + extreme speed, xerneas has never been able to sweep this team. Swords dance is the perfect move for life orb arceus, once it sets up its very difficult to stop it from sweeping. Next up is the deadly STAB move as I mentioned before "extreme speed" this move is a beauty ohko's every offensive pokemon if there is no high defense investment, and the best thing about this move is "it goes first". Earthquake is used for hitting steel and rock types and lastly shadow claw for ghost type mons.

Last edited:
RIP Haruno's post :[[[

Also placeholder for a cheesy balance team that will aid in getting a decent understanding of the meta, and possibly future RMT's. I'm using these teams in the tour, so most likely after that or smth idk.

Last edited:
Scolipede Mawile Offense

Importable: http://pastebin.com/rATD6wCX

Description

The team was based around Scolipede and Choice Scarf Skymin as it was one of my favorite pokemon to use back in BW2. Scolipede is the best lead that can lay Toxic Spikes and Spikes as it is able to beat Defog users thanks to Endeavor and Toxic Spikes damage. Skymin abuses the poison damage dealt by Toxic Spikes since as you may know, it has a high chance of flinching you to death with Air Slash thanks to its ability, Serene Grace. That with the poison damage can be quite devastating. So, if you like Hyper Offense this is a team for you!

Scolipede: Sets up hazards as well as beating Defog users such as Arceus. Beats Deoxys formes thanks to Pin Missile.

Mega Mawile: Checks Yveltal, Xerneas and Mewtwo formes thanks to its amazing typing and type coverage. Even though it is barely invested in Attack, it still hits like a truck. It is easily one of my favorite to use on the team. The set was made by me hehe bwoi.

Skymin: Skymin's job is pretty simple, annoy the crap out of the opponent by flinching and adding poison damage thanks to toxic spikes, Skymin also works pretty well with Mawile since each other can put a pokemon's HP in range of being KOd by priority Sucker Punch or Scarfed Air Slash. Skymin can even outspeed standard +2 Geomancy Xerneas and try to flinch it with Air Slash, that or even passing a Healing Wish to Mawile in case it gets worn down during the battle.

Landorus-T: Landorus-T sets up rocks and it also a pivot for pokemon like Ho-Oh, Groudon and Extremekiller Arceus. It is also my #1 switch-in to Zekrom. Landorus normally uses Toxic but, I decided to use Knock Off because I'm asuming Toxic Spikes will be on the field most of the time so running Toxic would be a waste of moveslot for that same reason, in my opinion.

Kyogre: It is my Kyogre switch-in, also a Palkia check and a soft Xernea check. Kyogre can also abuse hazards thanks to Roar. On the other hand, Kyogre sets up rain so pokemon like Ho-Oh are easier to deal with, which is really nice. I really like Kyogre on this team.

Arceus-Ghost: Spin Blocker if needed, pseudo Extremekiller and Mewtwo check.Arceus-Ghost checks Mega-Kanghaskan, which is a really big threat to offense as Kanghaskan hardly carries Crunch. Another role of his is being a late game sweeper with Calm Mind and Judgment only, Focus Blast is not needed as Steel doesn't resist Ghost in this generation, Will-o-Wisp is for statusing levitating pokemon such as Landorus-T. There is not much to say about this pokemon.

Conclusion: This team is really fun to use, have used it in a few tour matches (3-0 in tours) and it got me pretty high on ladder :]

Is it alright if I add a team?

Deoxys (Deoxys-Attack) @ Focus Sash
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Psycho Boost
- Fire Punch
- Extreme Speed
- Ice Beam

Kyogre @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
- Water Spout
- Thunder
- Ice Beam
- Surf

Groudon @ Earth Plate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

Gengar (Gengar-Mega) (M) @ Gengarite
Timid Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Focus Blast
- Taunt
- Destiny Bond

Arceus (Arceus-Grass) @ Meadow Plate
EVs: 252 HP / 144 SpD / 112 Spe
Timid Nature
- Grass Knot
- Defog
- Stone Edge
- Recover

Ho-Oh @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- Earthquake
- Sacred Fire
Overview: This team aims to set up Stealth Rock and chip away at opponents so that finishing them off later will be easily accomplished. This team has a multitude of Pokémon fulfilling a multitude of roles, and all major roles have been accounted for. Each Pokémon complements the other, and there are multiple ways to use this team to its fullest extent. Implementing two forms of weather has the advantage of providing support to multiple Pokémon on the team, as well as being able to disrupt all opposing Weather tactics.

Attack Deoxys: Deoxys-A serves as a Mixed Sweeper as well as a revenge killer due to its extremely high Speed and offenses, as well as access to one of the most powerful STAB moves in the game, Psycho Boost. Ice Beam can deal with the many Dragon types of the Uber tier, while Extreme Speed helps expound on its role as a revenge killer. I use Fire Punch because it has a higher damage output in general, and it has a nice base 75 power and chance to burn; however, Hidden Power Fire is a viable alternative to get a OHKO on Mega Scizor. It is a very frail Pokémon, however, so it cannot take more than one hit from an opponent. Before sending out Deoxys, it is imperative that all entry hazards are cleared and that all harmful weather is replaced or removed; failure to do so will result in either a broken Focus Sash, or a KO'd Deoxys after it has activated.

Kyogre: Kyogre is the Special Sweeper. Thanks to Choice Scarf, Kyogre can outspeed many relevant threats, including Mewtwo and Mega Gengar. With the rain Kyogre brings, its STAB Water Spout, compounded by its monstrously high base 150 Special Attack, will put a major dent in many opposing Pokémon. Thunder, under rain, has 110 base power, perfect accuracy, and a 30% chance to paralyze, making it a great choice for a second move. Ice Beam helps with Dragon types, as stated before, while Surf gives Kyogre a second attacking option if its HP ever gets below 60%. Kyogre should be brought in when there are no hazards on the field, since any damage done to it will reduce the power of Water Spout.

Groudon: Groudon is the Stealth Rock setter on this team; it should be sent out relatively early in the battle, at a time when the expected damage done to it is minimal. It has both power and utility, with a STAB Earthquake coming off of a base 150 attack and an Earth Plate boost being able to OHKO Dialga. Stone Edge provides the infamous EdgeQuake combo, offering great coverage and hitting Flying- and Fire-type Pokémon for great damage. Roar provides a way to phaze out opposing setup sweepers, including the ever-so-popular Geomancy Xerneas (concerning Geomancy Xerneas, if you see one on the opponent's team, Groudon must be already out at the same time as Xerneas, so that it can safely phaze out Xerneas as it sets up. Otherwise, it will OHKO Groudon). It is also preferable to set up sunlight before bringing in Ho-Oh, since its Sacred Fire will be powered up as well as negating the Water weakness.

Gengar: Mega Gengar excels at trapping opponents, and is known to take down an opponent with almost 100% certainty. Thanks to Taunt and Destiny Bond, Mega Gengar can force the opponent to attack it, at which point, thanks to its frailty, it will be taken down relatively easily, and the opponent will also be short one Pokémon. If Mega Gengar needs to be saved for later but switching out is not optimal, then Sludge Bomb and Focus Blast are good attacking moves, with Sludge Bomb dealing major damage to Fairy types and Focus Blast handling Steel types while providing overall good coverage. In order to use Mega Gengar effectively, it should be brought in on a Pokémon that it outspeeds while in its base form, then Mega Evolve when needing to trap an opponent. Do not Mega Evolve on something that generally uses a Ground type move, such as Ground Arceus or Groudon, since Gengar still has Levitate.

Arceus: Grass Arceus is known for being a solid support Pokémon, while simultaneously dealing with both of the mascots of the Ruby and Sapphire versions of the game. Defog is for clearing away hazards as well as any gimmicky Dual Screens tactics the opponent may try to use. Note that doing so will also remove the hazards that you set up, so do not be hasty in Defogging until your own Stealth Rock has done damage to every Pokémon that needs to be damaged on the opposing team. Using defog at the wrong time is also risky in that a predicted Defog will give the opponent a chance to set up their sweeper. Grass Knot is the preferred STAB move, as many of the Pokémon in the tier weigh more than 1960 N (440.9 lbs/200 kg), which means it will do a lot of damage to those Pokémon. Stone Edge is a good coverage move, since it gives Arceus-Grass an answer to Ho-Oh, while Recover heals Him and prolongs His field time. Grass Arceus should be sent out after Kyogre, since the heavy rain it brings will help Him survive an attack from opposing Fire types.

Ho-Oh: The Rainbow Pokémon is the final Pokémon on this team, serving as a special tank as well as a backup physical attacker. Sacred Fire is a great spammable move that can give a detrimental burn to opposing physical sweepers. Brave Bird is Ho-Oh's secondary STAB move, taking care of opposing Blaziken and Mega Mewtwo X with ease. Earthquake damages opposing Rock-type Pokémon like Rock Arceus that resist both of its STAB moves. Roost is useful for healing off its Brave Bird and Life Orb recoil, as well as diminishing Ho-Oh's 4x weakness to Rock. Speaking of Rocks, Ho-Oh is not fond of Stealth Rock at all, and it is essential to keep it in its Poké Ball until those Rocks are removed or if it has a definite opportunity to heal off its Stealth Rock damage.

Last edited:
Fireburn I have been using your Space Jams team a lot on the ladder, it's a nice and stable team, thanks for sharing.

I have a couple of suggestions though. Roost may not be necessary on Scizor since he isn't a wall and will not have much chances to recover with even resisted hits doing a lot. In my experience since Space Jams isn't a stall team using a recovery move usually just means something threatening switches in safely, especially bad if it's Ho Oh. Instead I find the set lacks a powerful move that keeps Scizor in. Uturn obviously switches Scizor out while Superpower drops his stats, and Bullet Punch only has 90 BP after STAB. I suggest Knock Off instead of Roost, the move harasses walls and such and while it also isn't a powerful move that keeps Scizor in after the first use, Scizor doesn't get many attacks anyway.

Otherwise just curious why do you have 252 SpA EVs on Deoxys with only one special attack? If Deoxys isn't using Psycho Boost, all those EVs go to waste, plus after using Superpower it would lose the ability to use three of the four moves. It's not like Deoxys has a small movepool too so the set you have seems rather constricting, I don't know what might be better though.

haxiom

God's not dead.
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Fireburn I have been using your Space Jams team a lot on the ladder, it's a nice and stable team, thanks for sharing.

I have a couple of suggestions though. Roost may not be necessary on Scizor since he isn't a wall and will not have much chances to recover with even resisted hits doing a lot. In my experience since Space Jams isn't a stall team using a recovery move usually just means something threatening switches in safely, especially bad if it's Ho Oh. Instead I find the set lacks a powerful move that keeps Scizor in. Uturn obviously switches Scizor out while Superpower drops his stats, and Bullet Punch only has 90 BP after STAB. I suggest Knock Off instead of Roost, the move harasses walls and such and while it also isn't a powerful move that keeps Scizor in after the first use, Scizor doesn't get many attacks anyway.

Otherwise just curious why do you have 252 SpA EVs on Deoxys with only one special attack? If Deoxys isn't using Psycho Boost, all those EVs go to waste, plus after using Superpower it would lose the ability to use three of the four moves. It's not like Deoxys has a small movepool too so the set you have seems rather constricting, I don't know what might be better though.
Basically, Roost is really important on Scizor because it needs to not be overwhelmed by repeated attacks; if you give up recovery you are prone to be worn down and lose to GeoXern. Roost is pretty much mandatory.

Regarding the 252 SpA EVs, the main goal of Life Orb Deoxys-A is to nuke things with Psycho Boost, and the rest of the moves kind of compliment that, not the other way around. Thus, the EVs are geared to accomplish its purpose.

Basically, Roost is really important on Scizor because it needs to not be overwhelmed by repeated attacks; if you give up recovery you are prone to be worn down and lose to GeoXern. Roost is pretty much mandatory.

Regarding the 252 SpA EVs, the main goal of Life Orb Deoxys-A is to nuke things with Psycho Boost, and the rest of the moves kind of compliment that, not the other way around. Thus, the EVs are geared to accomplish its purpose.
The question is, what is Scizor going to Roost against? What threat is there that Scizor can switch into, scare out, and then incoming Scizor-killer (Blaziken Ho Oh etc) won't heavily damage the rest of the team? It would be better if Landorus T were physically defensive but this is an aggressive variant. In all my games with the team I've literally never used Roost once. GeoXern is still checked by Xerneas, Scizor (single BP still does a lot of damage) and Deoxys. Having Knock Off also helps against Deoxys S since the team can lead Scizor, Knock Off and BP to kill. Without Knock Off there's no way to prevent two layers of hazards since Deoxys S can live two BPs. Scizor can Uturn to Deoxys but if the other Deoxys has Espeed that's gg.

Putting all eggs into a basket of Psychic STAB is rather awkward imo, Psychic isn't a powerful STAB and there are lots of capable resists out there e.g. Yveltal Lugia Klefki etc. If Deoxys can't use Psycho Boost he has no good high damage attack. Psycho Boost also drops stats so even more awkward. I dunno all the moves can be useful but maybe replace Knock Off with Ice Beam or something.

haxiom

God's not dead.
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Scizor roosts on anything that doesn't do >50% which is a fair amount. Roost is like literally 100% necessary, besides 2 BP anti leads anyways I'm pretty sure.

As for Deo-A, what does Ice Beam hit that Psycho boost doesn't already nuke? LO Psycho Boost with max invest is like one of the hardest things to switch into and the other moves are kind of just there (Espeed has practical use though). For an analogy, I have a really, REALLY good starting group on a team that I coach. I have a solid bench, but not half as good as the starting group because it's so good. I don't say, hm lets tailor my game plan to these bench players. I say, lets use this starting group and have the bench for depth and support.

Bad analogy but w/e

252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Deoxys-S: 132-156 (43.4 - 51.3%) -- 4.7% chance to 2HKO

There's also the real danger of whatever is coming in coming in for free. Ho Oh is the big danger here but also things like Kyogre since although Kyogre is quite well covered each time Kyogre comes in one must predict if it will use water, electric or ice move and a wrong prediction can result in things like Water Arceus getting crippled or paralyzed or worse Zekrom / Landorus T dead. As for Deoxys Ice Beam hits the aforementioned Yveltal and Lugia, Ferrothorn isn't OHKOed by Superpower either so HP Fire may be useful as well. I dunno using the team it just feels like Deoxys could use a high damage attack that doesn't drop its stats to me.

haxiom

God's not dead.
252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Deoxys-S: 132-156 (43.4 - 51.3%) -- 4.7% chance to 2HKO

There's also the real danger of whatever is coming in coming in for free. Ho Oh is the big danger here but also things like Kyogre since although Kyogre is quite well covered each time Kyogre comes in one must predict if it will use water, electric or ice move and a wrong prediction can result in things like Water Arceus getting crippled or paralyzed or worse Zekrom / Landorus T dead. As for Deoxys Ice Beam hits the aforementioned Yveltal and Lugia, Ferrothorn isn't OHKOed by Superpower either so HP Fire may be useful as well. I dunno using the team it just feels like Deoxys could use a high damage attack that doesn't drop its stats to me.
If it's Deo-S then it's not running Extreme Speed and you U-Turn to Deoxys-A. If it's Deo-A, you BP it as it doesn't run Fire moves iirc.

On the other hand, the second point applies to running knock of just as much. You Knock Off and then on the predicted BP they get a free switch. If you mean in general, U-turn punishes switches anyways and without roost you just compound the damage they do if they get a free switch.

Deoxys-A could potentially run Ice Beam, I think it gets a slash, but Specially Defensive Xerneas is pretty safe versus Yveltal and Scizor (as long as you have roost) hard walls Lugia, plus Zekrom breaks it with relative ease. As for HP Fire:

4 Atk Life Orb Deoxys-A Superpower vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Ferrothorn: 299-354 (84.9 - 100.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Deoxys-A Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn: 312-369 (88.6 - 104.8%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

Either way you severely cripple/kill Ferrothorn and Zekrom gets its check removed.

You make it sound like it's so simple ... what if Deoxys S does have Espeed? That's a dead Deoxys AND one layer of hazards anyway. Xerneas "walls" Yveltal but say you got Deoxys in against support Groudon and he's got a Yveltal and Gengar in the back, are you going to Psycho Boost anyway? Even if no Gengar, are you going to Psycho Boost anyway? Finally so what if Scizor hard walls Lugia, what are you going to do, BP it to death? Lugia can simply do things like spam Toxic until it's sure Scizor is not switching out, then Roost up to full health (if it's not running Defog / CM etc) and then switch since Scizor poses it zero threat. With Knock Off you can take off his item for permanent damage and then Uturn out. Scizor doesn't need to be at full health to check Xerneas as well since as long as whoever is in attacks Xerneas hard on the turn it sets up Scizor can revenge with BP. As for Uturn, it punishes switch ins of course, but using Uturn on the predicted switch means not using Roost. Since Space Jams is an offensive team I find I generally prefer to Uturn to keep the momentum.

Here's a replay illustrating why Knock Off into BP is better than Uturn to Deoxys when going against Deoxys S: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-169269668

Anyway this is a bit of a pointless argument, I was just offering suggestions based on my experience with the team. Roost on Scizor and Knock Off on Deoxys are the least useful moves in my experience. I've played a lot with Space Jams now and like I said it's a nice and stable team. Will try some of the other teams next.

Last edited:

haxiom

God's not dead.
Let's not get off topic too much, espeed point shows lack of meta knowledge, point two is very specific and Deoxys-A is a prediction heavy mon regardless of what coverage you run. The reason scizor is relevant is because it frees into lugia so you don't really have to predict it. Knock Off over roost actually makes you lose to Lugia so you contradict yourself. Xern sets up zekrom on an Outrage. In the replay, bullet punch turn one and then u-turn after yields exact same result so idk what you were getting at.

To prevent clutter, pm if you have any comments.

Would like to point out that Level 56's team has a huge weakness to Kyogre, there is only one water resist in that team and it's not a good one, if it can't keep hazards up then it wouldn't be long before Scarf Kyogre is at worst 2HKOing everything. idk how to fix it though maybe swap the Kyogre out for Palkia or at least run a SpD set or something.

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
Would like to point out that Level 56's team has a huge weakness to Kyogre, there is only one water resist in that team and it's not a good one, if it can't keep hazards up then it wouldn't be long before Scarf Kyogre is at worst 2HKOing everything. idk how to fix it though maybe swap the Kyogre out for Palkia or at least run a SpD set or something.
Actually it isn't so weak that it'll be swept after Kyogre's fainted. Groudon comes in to get away the Rain and bring sun, which significantly reduces Kyogre's water attacks power. Depending on the situation, he may either sack Groudon or double over to Ekiller. Actually it threatens only on paper, but can be played around without much issues.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
As someone who has played extensively with the team I gotta say that this is not the case, with tspikes and spikes up it becomes very easy to wear Kyogre down. On top of this if the Kyogre is scarfed it is fairly easy to play around as you can predict Thunder switch in Groudon or stay in with Kyogre etc. etc. On top of this scarf Xerneas outspeeds and can revenge kill. This is ment to be a HO team and so not having a counter isnt an issue and its only really weak to Kyogre on paper, also sample teams aren't ment to be perfect they're a starting place if you think something fits better you can modify the team to your suiting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)