Ubers Salamence (Defensive) [GP 2/2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

steelskitty

you deserve so much more than this
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
You don't want to stay in vs Xerneas and yveltal with mence 90% of the time anyway, making it just faster than Addy Ray post-MEvo is the most desirable benchmark I think

Create an OO section and list iron defense under it. It lets you check SD PDon as opposed to flat-out losing to it which is a huge boon for stall. Mention Wish in OO as well; mence has the bulk to pull it off and I'm not sure why shrang thinks the wishes aren't adequate when mence has the same HP as Clefable, a common wish Pokemon on stall ?_?. Mention in OO that regular mence does the exact same thing as this but trades the marginally important base Spe of megamence for access to Leftovers and the ability to use a different mega on your team. Put EQ in OO as it's very nice to lure out things like Klefki, Mdiancie, and paralyzed Rockceus and just kinda beat them.

Last edited:
Honestly you probably only need enough Speed to outrun Adamant Rayquaza. Modest Xerneas doesn't run max Speed unless Scarfed and you probably don't want to fight LO Yveltal anyway. Sweep Hack PROBLEMS steelphoenix any second opinions?

Waterceus is cool to help take on Ice attackers, also means you don't have to run Defog on it. I would probably sooner mention Arceus-Ghost however, as it helps take on Stone Edge EKillers that Mence can struggle to fight. Other alt SE EKiller checks are worth mentioning too.

I'll approve once QC gives their thoughts on point #1.
Added Ghostceus, Ferrothorn and Skarm to Team Options. Also altered EV spread to 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spe Impish to outspeed Adamant Ray+Modest Kyu-W.

You don't want to stay in vs Xerneas and yveltal with mence 90% of the time anyway, making it just faster than Addy Ray post-MEvo is the most desirable benchmark I think

Create an OO section and list iron defense under it. It lets you check SD PDon as opposed to flat-out losing to it which is a huge boon for stall. Mention Wish in OO as well; mence has the bulk to pull it off and I'm not sure why shrang thinks the wishes aren't adequate when mence has the same HP as Clefable, a common wish Pokemon on stall ?_?. Mention in OO that regular mence does the exact same thing as this but trades the marginally important base Spe of megamence for access to Leftovers and the ability to use a different mega on your team. Put EQ in OO as it's very nice to lure out things like Klefki, Mdiancie, and paralyzed Rockceus and just kinda beat them.
Added all of these. Iron Defense and Wish are mentioned in the OO of the original analysis, but made the extra OO just in case.

SM979

dank memes
is a Contributor Alumnus
Add / Remove / (Comments)
Defensive
########
name: Defensive
move 1: Dragon Tail
move 2: Roost
move 3: Body Slam
move 4: Defog
ability: Intimidate
item: Salamencite
evs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spe
nature: Impish

Moves
========

Dragon Tail is very efficient in exerting defensive pressure on the opponent, which Salamence can accomplish with its solid bulk. Roost is extremely useful in keeping Salamence alive throughout the match to check threats and remove entry hazards. Body Slam also keeps offensive threats on their toes with above-average damage and a looming paralysis chance. Salamence's ability to Defog is assisted by Intimidate and its above-average offensive presence, letting it do its job against powerhouses such as Primal Groudon and Extreme Killer Arceus. If balance or stall is a concerning problem in the team's build, Toxic can whittle down opposing walls and tanks if needed, and Refresh can keep Salamence status-free and become a more consistent Ho-Oh check.

Set Details
========

This specific The EV spread lets Mega Salamence outspeed the neutral base 95 Speed tier, gaining an advantage against wallbreakers such as an Adamant-natured Rayquaza and Modest-natured Kyurem-W. If one wishes to aim for a lower benchmark, (isn't this a higher benchmark?) 248 HP / 172 Def / 88 Spe with an Impish nature can outrun Modest Xerneas and Yveltal. A sweet spot between these two spreads is 248 HP / 136 Def / 124 Spe with an Impish nature, as it prevents threats such as Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre from outspeeding Mega Salamence, but many of these options extend to what Salamence it needs to check on a team.

Usage Tips
========

Differentiation of when and when not to Mega Evolve is key to using this variant of Salamence, as balancing the importance of utilizing Intimidate and the increased Speed and power of its Mega Evolution during a match intensifies Salamence's effectiveness. This is because Salamence can effectively check common offensive threats such as Rock Polish Primal Groudon and Extreme Killer Arceus, but sometimes needs to Mega Evolve to either take particularly powerful attacks or avoid lure moves such as Toxic and Stone Edge, (AC) respectively. If a wallbreaker is likely to switch in to punish Salamence for trying to Defog, using either Dragon Tail or Body Slam can have a chance to do enough residual damage to deter or cripple them, and therefore making Defog less difficult to utilize. Also, if Refresh is not opted for, avoid any and all status moves other than Sleep-inflicting moves when possible, as burn, paralysis, and poison can all have a high chance of reducing Salamence's effectiveness in checking most offensively-oriented Pokemon.

Team Options
========

Support variants of Primal Groudon are a good option for a partner with Salamence, as it Primal Groudon checks the Fairy-types that can threaten this variant of Salamence, in addition to providing Stealth Rock for Salamence to take advantage of with Dragon Tail. Klefki is in the same vein; Klefki it has great type synergy with Salamence, checks Xerneas, Latios, and Latias, absorbs Toxic, and gives Salamence Spikes to defensively pressure the opponent with Dragon Tail. Aegislash also has good synergy with Salamence, checks Latios and Latias through Pursuit and can check Xerneas, three major offensive threats to Salamence. Defensive variants of Primal Kyogre appreciate having Primal Groudon checked by Salamence, can soak up most Ice-type attacks, and almost freely have the ability to spread burns with Scald, giving Salamence's defenses more of an edge. Ghost Arceus can cover Stone Edge Extreme Killer Arceus variants for Salamence, and the freedom of not running Defog can let Ghost Arceus run multiple different utility moves to support its team better. Ferrothorn and Skarmory also assist Salamence in checking Stone Edge Extreme Killer Arceus, and have access to entry hazards that Salamence can use in conjunction with Dragon Tail.

Other Options (Defensive)
########

Iron Defense allows Salamence to handle Swords Dance Primal Groudon variants by itself, which gives it a solid niche on certain stall teams at the cost of having Defog usually being the forgone move. Wish support is something both Salamence and its Mega Evolution can fill, with both having a solid HP stat to take advantage of Wish, and regular Salamence's ability to hold Leftovers, which can open up the Mega Evolution slot for another Pokemon to use. Earthquake can give Salamence the opportunity to lure some of its common defensive checks such as Klefki, Mega Diancie, and Rock Arceus (if it is paralyzed by Body Slam), and beat them one-on-one, but prevents Salamence from running Dragon Tail or Defog respectively.
GP 1/2

Last edited:
Add / Remove / (Comments)
Defensive
########

Moves
========

Dragon Tail is very efficient in exerting defensive pressure on the opponent, which Salamence can accomplish with its solid bulk. Roost is extremely useful in keeping Salamence alive throughout the match to check threats and remove entry hazards. Body Slam also keeps offensive threats on their toes with above-average damage and a looming paralysis chance. Salamence's ability to Defog is assisted by Intimidate and its above-average offensive presence, letting it do its job against powerhouses such as Primal Groudon and Extreme Killer Arceus. If balance or stall is a concerning problem in the team's build, Toxic can whittle down opposing walls and tanks if needed, and Refresh can keep Salamence status-free and become a more consistent Ho-Oh check.

Set Details
========

This specific The EV spread lets Mega Salamence outspeed the neutral base 95 Speed tier, gaining an advantage against wallbreakers such as an Adamant-natured Rayquaza and Modest-natured Kyurem-W. If one wishes to aim for a lower benchmark, (isn't this a higher benchmark?) 248 HP / 172 Def / 88 Spe with an Impish nature can outrun Modest Xerneas and Yveltal. A sweet spot between these two spreads is 248 HP / 136 Def / 124 Spe with an Impish nature, as it prevents threats such as Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre from outspeeding Mega Salamence, but many of these options extend to what Salamence it needs to check on a team.

Usage Tips
========

Differentiation of when and when not to Mega Evolve is key to using this variant of Salamence, as balancing the importance of utilizing Intimidate and the increased Speed and power of its Mega Evolution during a match intensifies Salamence's effectiveness. This is because Salamence can effectively check common offensive threats such as Rock Polish Primal Groudon and Extreme Killer Arceus, but sometimes needs to Mega Evolve to either take particularly powerful attacks or avoid lure moves such as Toxic and Stone Edge, (AC) respectively. If a wallbreaker is likely to switch in to punish Salamence for trying to Defog, using either Dragon Tail or Body Slam can have a chance to do enough residual damage to deter or cripple them, and therefore making Defog less difficult to utilize. Also, if Refresh is not opted for, avoid any and all status moves other than Sleep-inflicting moves when possible, as burn, paralysis, and poison can all have a high chance of reducing Salamence's effectiveness in checking most offensively-oriented Pokemon.

Team Options
========

Support variants of Primal Groudon are a good option for a partner with Salamence, as it Primal Groudon checks the Fairy-types that can threaten this variant of Salamence, in addition to providing Stealth Rock for Salamence to take advantage of with Dragon Tail. Klefki is in the same vein; Klefki it has great type synergy with Salamence, checks Xerneas, Latios, and Latias, absorbs Toxic, and gives Salamence Spikes to defensively pressure the opponent with Dragon Tail. Aegislash also has good synergy with Salamence, checks Latios and Latias through Pursuit and can check Xerneas, three major offensive threats to Salamence. Defensive variants of Primal Kyogre appreciate having Primal Groudon checked by Salamence, can soak up most Ice-type attacks, and almost freely have the ability to spread burns with Scald, giving Salamence's defenses more of an edge. Ghost Arceus can cover Stone Edge Extreme Killer Arceus variants for Salamence, and the freedom of not running Defog can let Ghost Arceus run multiple different utility moves to support its team better. Ferrothorn and Skarmory also assist Salamence in checking Stone Edge Extreme Killer Arceus, and have access to entry hazards that Salamence can use in conjunction with Dragon Tail.

Other Options (Defensive)
########

Iron Defense allows Salamence to handle Swords Dance Primal Groudon variants by itself, which gives it a solid niche on certain stall teams at the cost of having Defog usually being the forgone move. Wish support is something both Salamence and its Mega Evolution can fill, with both having a solid HP stat to take advantage of Wish, and regular Salamence's ability to hold Leftovers, which can open up the Mega Evolution slot for another Pokemon to use. Earthquake can give Salamence the opportunity to lure some of its common defensive checks such as Klefki, Mega Diancie, and Rock Arceus (if it is paralyzed by Body Slam), and beat them one-on-one, but prevents Salamence from running Dragon Tail or Defog respectively.
GP 1/2
Implemented. This is now ready for its 2nd check.

tehy

Banned deucer.
get chekt

something that interests me greatly is, what'll be done with the OO? I.e., how will it be integrated into the main analysis' OO?
Defensive
########

Moves
========

Dragon Tail is very efficient in effective at exerting defensive pressure on the opponent, which Salamence can accomplish do with its solid bulk. Roost is extremely useful in keeping usefully keeps Salamence alive throughout the match to check threats and remove entry hazards. Body Slam also keeps offensive threats on their toes with above-average damage and a looming paralysis chance. Salamence's ability to Defog is assisted by Intimidate and its above-average offensive presence, letting it do its job against powerhouses such as Primal Groudon and Extreme Killer Arceus. If balance or stall is a concerning problem in to the team's build, Toxic can whittle down opposing walls and tanks if needed, and Refresh can keep Salamence status-free and become make it a more consistent Ho-Oh check.

Set Details
========

The EV spread lets Mega Salamence outspeed the neutral base 95 Speed tier,(rc) gaining an advantage against wallbreakers such as an Adamant Rayquaza and Modest Kyurem-W. If one wishes to aim for a higher benchmark, an EV spread of 248 HP / 172 Def / 88 Spe with an Impish nature can outrun lets Salamence outspeed Modest Xerneas and Yveltal. An even higher benchmark A sweet spot between these two spreads is 248 HP / 136 Def / 124 Spe with an Impish nature, as it prevents threats such as letting Mega Salamence outspeeds max Speed Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre,(ac) from outspeeding Mega Salamence,(rc)(What does this mean?)but many of these options extend to what it needs to check on a team.(See my comments for the bit between these parantheses sections)

Usage Tips
========

Differentiation of when and when not When to Mega Evolve is key to using this variant of Salamence, as balancing the importance of utilizing Intimidate and the increased Speed and power of its Mega Evolution during a match increases intensifies Salamence's effectiveness. This is because Salamence can effectively check common offensive threats such as Rock Polish Primal Groudon and Extreme Killer Arceus, but sometimes needs to Mega Evolve to either take particularly powerful attacks or avoid lure moves such as Toxic and Stone Edge, respectively. If a wallbreaker is likely to switch in to punish Salamence for trying to Defog, using either Dragon Tail or Body Slam can have a chance to do enough residual damage to deter or cripple them, and which therefore making makes Defog less difficult to utilize. Also, if Refresh is not opted for, avoid any and all status moves other than Sleep-inflicting moves when possible,(rc) as burn, paralysis, and poison can all have a high chance of reducing ,(ac) as they can all reduce Salamence's effectiveness in checking most offensively-oriented Pokemon.

Team Options
========

Support variants of Primal Groudon are a good option for a partners with for Salamence, as Primal Groudon checks the Fairy-types that can threaten this variant of Salamence, in addition to providing Stealth Rock for Salamence to take advantage of with Dragon Tail. Klefki is in In the same vein;,(semicolon to comma) Klefki it has great type synergy with Salamence, checks Xerneas, Latios, and Latias, absorbs Toxic, and gives Salamence Spikes to defensively pressure the opponent with alongside Dragon Tail. Aegislash also has good synergy with Salamence, checks checking Latios and Latias through Pursuit and can check checking Xerneas, three major offensive threats to Salamence. Defensive variants of Primal Kyogre appreciate having Primal Groudon checked by Salamence, can soak up most Ice-type attacks, and almost freely have the ability to spread burns with Scald, giving Salamence's defenses more of an edge. Ghost Arceus can cover Stone Edge Extreme Killer Arceus variants for Salamence, and the freedom of not running Defog can let Ghost Arceus run multiple different utility moves to support its team better. Ferrothorn and Skarmory also assist Salamence in checking Stone Edge Extreme Killer Arceus, and have access to entry hazards that Salamence can use in conjunction with Dragon Tail.

Other Options
########

Iron Defense allows Salamence to handle Swords Dance Primal Groudon variants by itself, which gives it a solid niche on certain stall teams, at the cost of having Defog usually being the foregone move foregoing Defog. Wish support is something both Salamence and its Mega Evolution can fill provide, with both having a solid HP stat to take advantage of Wish, and regular Salamence's ability to hold Leftovers,(rc) which can open up the Mega Evolution slot for another Pokemon to use. Earthquake can give Salamence the opportunity to lure some of its common defensive checks such as Klefki, Mega Diancie, and Rock Arceus (if it is paralyzed by Body Slam), and beat them one-on-one, but prevents Salamence from running Dragon Tail or Defog.

What move should Toxic or Refresh be used over? Whatever that move is, you should mention it, or at the very least move it down to the last slot (probably both).

So, sentences like the one about the EV spread annoy me; what other base 95 wallbreakers are there? basically, there's Kyurem-B, but I don't think that is viable in Ubers; if you want to mention it that's fine, but I personally assume you didn't want to? In that case, you can really just say it outspeeds those two Pokemon, right?

You can just say the 136 / 124 spread outspeeds max Speed Primal Kyogre and Primal Groudon, rather than saying it lets Salamence always outspeed them or whatever, that makes it a lot less confusing. And i've already made that change in the check, so whatevs, that just makes iteasier

I feel like I get what you're trying to see in that bit i've sandwiched between commas but i'm not entirely sure; like, the amount of Def and Speed is about what you want to check better / worse. Maybe not, though? i'd like you to rewrite that part, because it's really incomprehensible in terms of English; i get what you're saying because i'm experienced but it's very weird (and i might not get it either)

Your explanation of Intimidate vs Mega Evolution leaves out that after you Mega Evolve you can't intimidate; you've kind of alluded to this before but you could toss that in. Plus, why would Mega Evolving help you take a Toxic? Maybe you should mention a different lure move, like Dragon Claw?

kinda odd to say Aegislash checks Latios and Latias through Pursuit; after all, it checks them regardless by just hitting them hard, so Pursuit is more about trapping them-it makes Aegislash much better against them, but it checks them pretty much regardless.

On that note; i feel you're saying Aegislash has good synergy with Mence because of those three things, if it's that and other stuff, keep the sentence the way it is.

i'd just say that Earthquake prevents Salamence from running 'a vital move'; after all, all four moves are vital, and it could theoretically be used over Body Slam.

get chekt

something that interests me greatly is, what'll be done with the OO? I.e., how will it be integrated into the main analysis' OO?
Defensive
########

Moves
========

Dragon Tail is very efficient in effective at exerting defensive pressure on the opponent, which Salamence can accomplish do with its solid bulk. Roost is extremely useful in keeping usefully keeps Salamence alive throughout the match to check threats and remove entry hazards. Body Slam also keeps offensive threats on their toes with above-average damage and a looming paralysis chance. Salamence's ability to Defog is assisted by Intimidate and its above-average offensive presence, letting it do its job against powerhouses such as Primal Groudon and Extreme Killer Arceus. If balance or stall is a concerning problem in to the team's build, Toxic can whittle down opposing walls and tanks if needed, and Refresh can keep Salamence status-free and become make it a more consistent Ho-Oh check.

Set Details
========

The EV spread lets Mega Salamence outspeed the neutral base 95 Speed tier,(rc) gaining an advantage against wallbreakers such as an Adamant Rayquaza and Modest Kyurem-W. If one wishes to aim for a higher benchmark, an EV spread of 248 HP / 172 Def / 88 Spe with an Impish nature can outrun lets Salamence outspeed Modest Xerneas and Yveltal. An even higher benchmark A sweet spot between these two spreads is 248 HP / 136 Def / 124 Spe with an Impish nature, as it prevents threats such as letting Mega Salamence outspeeds max Speed Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre,(ac) from outspeeding Mega Salamence,(rc)(What does this mean?)but many of these options extend to what it needs to check on a team.(See my comments for the bit between these parantheses sections)

Usage Tips
========

Differentiation of when and when not When to Mega Evolve is key to using this variant of Salamence, as balancing the importance of utilizing Intimidate and the increased Speed and power of its Mega Evolution during a match increases intensifies Salamence's effectiveness. This is because Salamence can effectively check common offensive threats such as Rock Polish Primal Groudon and Extreme Killer Arceus, but sometimes needs to Mega Evolve to either take particularly powerful attacks or avoid lure moves such as Toxic and Stone Edge, respectively. If a wallbreaker is likely to switch in to punish Salamence for trying to Defog, using either Dragon Tail or Body Slam can have a chance to do enough residual damage to deter or cripple them, and which therefore making makes Defog less difficult to utilize. Also, if Refresh is not opted for, avoid any and all status moves other than Sleep-inflicting moves when possible,(rc) as burn, paralysis, and poison can all have a high chance of reducing ,(ac) as they can all reduce Salamence's effectiveness in checking most offensively-oriented Pokemon.

Team Options
========

Support variants of Primal Groudon are a good option for a partners with for Salamence, as Primal Groudon checks the Fairy-types that can threaten this variant of Salamence, in addition to providing Stealth Rock for Salamence to take advantage of with Dragon Tail. Klefki is in In the same vein;,(semicolon to comma) Klefki it has great type synergy with Salamence, checks Xerneas, Latios, and Latias, absorbs Toxic, and gives Salamence Spikes to defensively pressure the opponent with alongside Dragon Tail. Aegislash also has good synergy with Salamence, checks checking Latios and Latias through Pursuit and can check checking Xerneas, three major offensive threats to Salamence. Defensive variants of Primal Kyogre appreciate having Primal Groudon checked by Salamence, can soak up most Ice-type attacks, and almost freely have the ability to spread burns with Scald, giving Salamence's defenses more of an edge. Ghost Arceus can cover Stone Edge Extreme Killer Arceus variants for Salamence, and the freedom of not running Defog can let Ghost Arceus run multiple different utility moves to support its team better. Ferrothorn and Skarmory also assist Salamence in checking Stone Edge Extreme Killer Arceus, and have access to entry hazards that Salamence can use in conjunction with Dragon Tail.

Other Options
########

Iron Defense allows Salamence to handle Swords Dance Primal Groudon variants by itself, which gives it a solid niche on certain stall teams, at the cost of having Defog usually being the foregone move foregoing Defog. Wish support is something both Salamence and its Mega Evolution can fill provide, with both having a solid HP stat to take advantage of Wish, and regular Salamence's ability to hold Leftovers,(rc) which can open up the Mega Evolution slot for another Pokemon to use. Earthquake can give Salamence the opportunity to lure some of its common defensive checks such as Klefki, Mega Diancie, and Rock Arceus (if it is paralyzed by Body Slam), and beat them one-on-one, but prevents Salamence from running Dragon Tail or Defog.

What move should Toxic or Refresh be used over? Whatever that move is, you should mention it, or at the very least move it down to the last slot (probably both).

So, sentences like the one about the EV spread annoy me; what other base 95 wallbreakers are there? basically, there's Kyurem-B, but I don't think that is viable in Ubers; if you want to mention it that's fine, but I personally assume you didn't want to? In that case, you can really just say it outspeeds those two Pokemon, right?

You can just say the 136 / 124 spread outspeeds max Speed Primal Kyogre and Primal Groudon, rather than saying it lets Salamence always outspeed them or whatever, that makes it a lot less confusing. And i've already made that change in the check, so whatevs, that just makes iteasier

I feel like I get what you're trying to see in that bit i've sandwiched between commas but i'm not entirely sure; like, the amount of Def and Speed is about what you want to check better / worse. Maybe not, though? i'd like you to rewrite that part, because it's really incomprehensible in terms of English; i get what you're saying because i'm experienced but it's very weird (and i might not get it either)

Your explanation of Intimidate vs Mega Evolution leaves out that after you Mega Evolve you can't intimidate; you've kind of alluded to this before but you could toss that in. Plus, why would Mega Evolving help you take a Toxic? Maybe you should mention a different lure move, like Dragon Claw?

kinda odd to say Aegislash checks Latios and Latias through Pursuit; after all, it checks them regardless by just hitting them hard, so Pursuit is more about trapping them-it makes Aegislash much better against them, but it checks them pretty much regardless.

On that note; i feel you're saying Aegislash has good synergy with Mence because of those three things, if it's that and other stuff, keep the sentence the way it is.

i'd just say that Earthquake prevents Salamence from running 'a vital move'; after all, all four moves are vital, and it could theoretically be used over Body Slam.
Added amcheck + comments.

Winry

Super Graduate-Level Napper
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
add/corrrect remove comments
Defensive
########

Moves
========

Dragon Tail is very effective at exerting defensive pressure on the foe opponent, which Salamence can do with its solid bulk. Roost usefully keeps Salamence alive throughout the match to check threats and remove entry hazards. Body Slam also keeps offensive threats on their toes with above-average damage and a looming paralysis chance. Salamence's ability to use Defog is assisted by Intimidate and its above-average offensive presence, letting it do its job against powerhouses such as Primal Groudon and Extreme Killer Arceus. If balance or stall is a concerning problem to the team, Toxic can be used over Defog or Body Slam to whittle down opposing walls and tanks if needed, and Refresh can take the place of Dragon Tail to keep Salamence status-[remove hyphen] free and make it a more consistent Ho-Oh check.

Set Details
========

The EV spread lets Mega Salamence outspeed Adamant Rayquaza and Modest Kyurem-W. If one wishes to aim for a higher benchmark, an EV spread of 248 HP / 172 Def / 88 Spe with an Impish nature lets Salamence outspeed Modest Xerneas and Yveltal. An even higher benchmark is 248 HP / 136 Def / 124 Spe with an Impish nature, letting Salamence outspeed maximum Speed Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre. Overall, each of the above options largely depend if the team is specifically weak to any of the threats mentioned, which helps Salamence act as a more flexible defensive Pokemon.

Usage Tips
========

When to Mega Evolve is key to using Salamence, as balancing Intimidate and the increased Speed and power of its Mega Evolution during a match increases Salamence's effectiveness. This is because Salamence can effectively check common offensive threats such as Rock Polish Primal Groudon and Extreme Killer Arceus, but it sometimes needs to Mega Evolve to either take particularly powerful attacks or use Mega Salamence's Speed tier. If a wallbreaker is likely to switch in to punish Salamence for trying to Defog, using either Dragon Tail or Body Slam can deter or cripple them, which therefore makes Defog less difficult to utilize. Also, if Refresh is not opted for, avoid burn, paralysis, and poison, as they can reduce Salamence's effectiveness in checking most offensively-[remove hyphen] oriented Pokemon.

Team Options
========

Support variants of Primal Groudon are good partners for Salamence, as Primal Groudon checks the Fairy-types that can threaten Salamence, [rc] in addition to providing Stealth Rock for Salamence to take advantage of with Dragon Tail. In the same vein, Klefki has great type synergy with Salamence, checks Xerneas, Latios, and Latias, absorbs Toxic, and can set up gives Salamence Spikes to defensively pressure the opponent with the help of Salamence's with alongside Dragon Tail. Aegislash also has good synergy with Salamence, checking Latios and Latias through Pursuit and can check Xerneas, which are three major offensive threats to Salamence. Defensive variants of Primal Kyogre appreciate having Primal Groudon checked by Salamence, can soak up most Ice-type attacks, and almost freely have the ability to spread burns with Scald, giving Salamence's defenses more of an edge. Ghost Arceus can cover Stone Edge Extreme Killer Arceus for Salamence, and the freedom of not running Defog can let Ghost Arceus run multiple different utility moves to support its team better. Ferrothorn and Skarmory also assist Salamence in checking Stone Edge Extreme Killer Arceus, [rc] and have access to entry hazards that Salamence can use in conjunction with Dragon Tail.

Other Options
########

Iron Defense allows Salamence to handle Swords Dance Primal Groudon variants by itself, which gives it a solid niche on certain stall teams at the cost of usually foregoing Defog. Wish support is something both Salamence and its Mega Evolution can provide, with both having a solid HP stat to take advantage of Wish, and regular Salamence's ability to hold Leftovers can open up the Mega Evolution slot for another Pokemon to use. Earthquake can give Salamence the opportunity to lure some of its common defensive checks such as Klefki, Mega Diancie, and Rock Arceus (if it is paralyzed by Body Slam), and beat them one-on-one, but prevents Salamence from running an integral move.
2/2

Last edited:
add/corrrect remove comments
Defensive
########

Moves
========

Dragon Tail is very effective at exerting defensive pressure on the foe opponent, which Salamence can do with its solid bulk. Roost usefully keeps Salamence alive throughout the match to check threats and remove entry hazards. Body Slam also keeps offensive threats on their toes with above-average damage and a looming paralysis chance. Salamence's ability to use Defog is assisted by Intimidate and its above-average offensive presence, letting it do its job against powerhouses such as Primal Groudon and Extreme Killer Arceus. If balance or stall is a concerning problem to the team, Toxic can be used over Defog or Body Slam to whittle down opposing walls and tanks if needed, and Refresh can take the place of Dragon Tail to keep Salamence status-[remove hyphen] free and make it a more consistent Ho-Oh check.

Set Details
========

The EV spread lets Mega Salamence outspeed Adamant Rayquaza and Modest Kyurem-W. If one wishes to aim for a higher benchmark, an EV spread of 248 HP / 172 Def / 88 Spe with an Impish nature lets Salamence outspeed Modest Xerneas and Yveltal. An even higher benchmark is 248 HP / 136 Def / 124 Spe with an Impish nature, letting Salamence outspeed maximum Speed Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre. Overall, each of the above options largely depend if the team is specifically weak to any of the threats mentioned, which helps Salamence act as a more flexible defensive Pokemon.

Usage Tips
========

When to Mega Evolve is key to using Salamence, as balancing Intimidate and the increased Speed and power of its Mega Evolution during a match increases Salamence's effectiveness. This is because Salamence can effectively check common offensive threats such as Rock Polish Primal Groudon and Extreme Killer Arceus, but it sometimes needs to Mega Evolve to either take particularly powerful attacks or use Mega Salamence's Speed tier. If a wallbreaker is likely to switch in to punish Salamence for trying to Defog, using either Dragon Tail or Body Slam can deter or cripple them, which therefore makes Defog less difficult to utilize. Also, if Refresh is not opted for, avoid burn, paralysis, and poison, as they can reduce Salamence's effectiveness in checking most offensively-[remove hyphen] oriented Pokemon.

Team Options
========

Support variants of Primal Groudon are good partners for Salamence, as Primal Groudon checks the Fairy-types that can threaten Salamence, [rc] in addition to providing Stealth Rock for Salamence to take advantage of with Dragon Tail. In the same vein, Klefki has great type synergy with Salamence, checks Xerneas, Latios, and Latias, absorbs Toxic, and can set up gives Salamence Spikes to defensively pressure the opponent with the help of Salamence's with alongside Dragon Tail. Aegislash also has good synergy with Salamence, checking Latios and Latias through Pursuit and can check Xerneas, which are three major offensive threats to Salamence. Defensive variants of Primal Kyogre appreciate having Primal Groudon checked by Salamence, can soak up most Ice-type attacks, and almost freely have the ability to spread burns with Scald, giving Salamence's defenses more of an edge. Ghost Arceus can cover Stone Edge Extreme Killer Arceus for Salamence, and the freedom of not running Defog can let Ghost Arceus run multiple different utility moves to support its team better. Ferrothorn and Skarmory also assist Salamence in checking Stone Edge Extreme Killer Arceus, [rc] and have access to entry hazards that Salamence can use in conjunction with Dragon Tail.

Other Options
########

Iron Defense allows Salamence to handle Swords Dance Primal Groudon variants by itself, which gives it a solid niche on certain stall teams at the cost of usually foregoing Defog. Wish support is something both Salamence and its Mega Evolution can provide, with both having a solid HP stat to take advantage of Wish, and regular Salamence's ability to hold Leftovers can open up the Mega Evolution slot for another Pokemon to use. Earthquake can give Salamence the opportunity to lure some of its common defensive checks such as Klefki, Mega Diancie, and Rock Arceus (if it is paralyzed by Body Slam), and beat them one-on-one, but prevents Salamence from running an integral move.
2/2
Added the final check. This is now done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)