[S17 SPECIAL] 1v1 aka Flash Clash

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Play today in Rating Battle Season 17, including the exciting Special format featuring superfast battles. Using the same regulations as the Flash Clash Online Competition from earlier this year, you’ll battle with only one of your Pokémon, and you’ll have only 10 seconds to choose your move each round. The match timer is set to five minutes, meaning battles will be lightning fast.

Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire players will continue to battle against players from only those games in the ΩR/αS League. Pokémon X and Pokémon Y players will compete in a separate league against other Pokémon X and Pokémon Yplayers in the X/Y League.

Please review the complete Rating Battle Season 17 regulations at the Pokémon Global Link where you’ll find details on eligible Pokémon, time limits, and other restrictions.

Pick up the pace in Rating Battle Season 17 now!
tl;dr:
  • bring 6, pick 1 battles.
  • standard Battle Spot banlist
    • in addition; Mega Stones and Focus Sash are banned
  • unlike Flash Clash; pentagons mons only (ie: transfers are banned)
  • 5 minute battle timer, 30 seconds in team preview, 10 second turn timer
Resources:
Also playable on Pokemon Showdown!

Last edited by a moderator:

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
This is a strange choice for a three-month meta. On one hand, really quick battles are nice, but on the other, I don't think this meta is really all that deep to have a "ladder"? It seems more based on luck than anything, like whether or not you happen to pick the right lead.

According to Serebii, this is 3v3 singles, not 1v1. I hope they are wrong though, imagine how many battles will go down to timer :/

Last edited:

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Damn, was really hoping for the return of Inverse...

Oh well, I ended up missing Flash Clash, so I might as well give this a shot!

I take it there is team preview? I didn't participate in the one in the spring so I'm not really familiar with this format - what's the meta look like?

I take it there is team preview? I didn't participate in the one in the spring so I'm not really familiar with this format - what's the meta look like?
It is. As for the format, you can start by reading the flash clash thread, which mention some common pokemon/strategies and why they are good. PGL also released an article on the meta.

If I should summarize the meta briefly, I'd put pokemon in three main cathegories:
- "Strong and fast OHKOers" (Talonflame, Porygon-z, Greninja, Blaziken, Haxorus etc). Often choiced or life orbed to simply KO before taking a hit.
- "Retaliators", Bulkier pokemon that can usually take a hit and hit back, or set up (Dragonite, Sturdy mons, CounterCoat/Metal Burst users, Sylveon, Aegislash, Azumarill etc). Weakness policy is a notable item.
- "Stallers" (Chansey, Gliscor, subseed Whimsicott etc)

Last edited:
Custap berry Donphan is working pretty nice for me, but i'm still new to this meta

@ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
Level: 50
EVs: 236 HP / 220 Atk / 52 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Shard
- Rock Slide

Evs are to survive 2 air slashes from timid max spa togekiss

Last edited:

Smuckem

Resident Facility Bot Wannabe
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Look at that, another excuse to get my Maisonmons rolling again.

My army has grown quite a bit since Flash Clash, excited to throw some things together and annoy people on the lower ladder.

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
Figure I'd post some sets/team I used when Flash Clash happened. Never competed in the real thing but I did consistently well with this despite the annoying team preview "guessing."

Blaziken @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 100 Atk / 156 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Overheat
- High Jump Kick
- Protect
- Thunder Punch

Rhyperior @ Choice Band
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Rock Wrecker
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Fire Punch

Porygon-Z @ Choice Specs
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 244 Def / 252 SpA / 12 Spe
Modest Nature
- Uproar
- Blizzard
- Hyper Beam
- Shadow Ball

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Iron Head

Magnezone @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Mirror Coat

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Substitute
- Taunt

Blaziken set abuses amazing STAB combination and that's honestly all you need, forget why I put Sub on this thing but not sure if any coverage is helping you win against stuff, I guess Poison Jab beats Azumarill (especially if you poison) since they're mostly Perish Trap and usually only have Dive for attacking though I think those were physically defensive so you don't actually 2HKO in that case. HJK can be Superpower but I don't miss. Rhyperior is a god and beats pretty much everything that doesn't have a special attack, Grass move or Water move. Porygon-Z spread isn't mine but the bulk is way more useful since you're not outspeeding a ton of stuff anyway. Blizzard is needed to OHKO 252 HP Dragonite which was a thing, Shadow Ball beats Aegislash, Uproar is better because you beat Sub Whimsicott guaranteed this way. Scarf Chomp is still broken here too, I like Adamant but Jolly works too so that Scarf Haxorus doesn't snipe you, Iron Head is better than Poison Jab because flinches. Custap Magnezone is also a god and nobody expects Mirror Coat, A+ mon but watch out for Haxorus. Whimsicott is also good against people trying to abuse cheese strategies like Perish Trap Azumarill, the smart ones will be Sap Sipper though so you get a stalemate. I think most if not all of these were also common picks in the real competition though I'm too lazy to double-check again.

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
Good thing we lost our official VGC 2016 ladder for this stuff. A++.
I've seen this sentiment a bit lately and I feel it's appropriate to address this. Yeah this is a dopey "for fun" format, but keep in mind that Battle Spot Special is actually primarily a medium used for weird formats exactly like this (Inverse, No Megas, etc) and never was made to be a dedicated VGC medium. Yes, VGC was necessary before because there'd be no official way to play the current VGC format otherwise, and it's inconvenient now that there's no official ladder one month before Worlds, but if we're being honest the people who need to prepare for Worlds were probably going to find other ways to practice regardless (and probably didn't ladder intensely in the first place?), so this isn't nearly that big of a deal when the ladder has been here all year so far.

The last few seasons of VGC were also a special case and honestly needed to end sooner rather than later, especially when there's only one more season after this one before they end Gen 6 Global Link support in November.

What is a common moveset for Perish Trap Azumarill?

I assume Relaxed/Sassy, with Perish Song/Dive/Protect.
What about the 4th slot? I was thinking about ice coverage for Whimsicott. Are there better options?

For item Sitrus, Assault Vest or something else? Mental herb?

According to BS stats, offensive and Trap Azu are more or less equal in popularity.

Thanks

What is a common moveset for Perish Trap Azumarill?

I assume Relaxed/Sassy, with Perish Song/Dive/Protect.
What about the 4th slot? I was thinking about ice coverage for Whimsicott. Are there better options?

For item Sitrus, Assault Vest or something else? Mental herb?

According to BS stats, offensive and Trap Azu are more or less equal in popularity.

Thanks
relaxed/sassy for sure, yep.

Items i've seen AV, sitrus and a Custap Berry + Endure/Dive that worked very fine

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
real ballers use sap sipper + hidden power poison to beat whimsicott

edit: talking about Azu specifically since most people use Whimsi in an effort to counter the strat

Last edited:
Yeah this is a dopey "for fun" format, but keep in mind that Battle Spot Special is actually primarily a medium used for weird formats exactly like this (Inverse, No Megas, etc) and never was made to be a dedicated VGC medium.
There should be nothing stopping the Doubles ladder from becoming the official VGC ladder except for stupidity. But now we have no official ladder and the only way to practice is on the awful Showdown ladder. I don't care that Special wasn't meant for VGC, I understand that, but that doesn't mean the loss of the only official VGC16 ladder we had is a good thing.

Smuckem

Resident Facility Bot Wannabe
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Well, you know, besides battle spot doubles and VGC usually being completely different metagames, yeah.
Indeed--plus, you can get away with goofing off in one (in terms of what teams you bring to the table) and be fine; you try that in the other and end up being figuratively ostracized.

Wanna take a guess as to which is which?

Let's discuss the new metagame rather than bitch, eh?

I assume this is identical as the one off competition with a pentagon restriction. Seems interesting but why it's been made a three month long thing I do not know.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So what do people use against Perish Trap Azumarill besides Whimsicott? I'm curious because while that HP Poison mention seemed like a joke, apparently Azumarill does have a good shot of 2HKOing Whimiscott with HP Poison (though a 3HKO seems fine too), it'd be nice only having to worry about Thundurus or whatever else people use against Azumarill.

Only thing is that I'd then have to breed a mixed HP Poison Azumarill, which sounds like some 7th circle of hell shit x_x

So what do people use against Perish Trap Azumarill besides Whimsicott? I'm curious because while that HP Poison mention seemed like a joke, apparently Azumarill does have a good shot of 2HKOing Whimiscott with HP Poison (though a 3HKO seems fine too), it'd be nice only having to worry about Thundurus or whatever else people use against Azumarill.

Only thing is that I'd then have to breed a mixed HP Poison Azumarill, which sounds like some 7th circle of hell shit x_x
I would just use a Soundproof Bouffalant tbh. Sap Sipper Azumarill won't do jack shit while you simply Head Charge it to death. Bouffalant specifically, since every other Soundproof mon is absolute balls while our afro-buffalo at least has good bulk and a very spammable STAB.

edit: Yes, Sap Sipper / Reckless + CB are 1000x better but eh, so is Huge Power on Azumarill.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)