Rowlet, Dartrix, Decidueye Discussion

I definitely see Decidueye's best hope in the higher tiers as a pivot, much like Celebi with a better typing, either with Baton Pass or U-Turn/Defog. Spirit Shackle really carves it a niche though.

Decidueye @ Leftovers
Ability: Long Reach / Overgrow
- Spirit Shackle / Shadow Ball
- Roost
- U-Turn / Baton Pass
- Defog / Swords Dance / Nasty Plot

Not sure about EVs, but I'd imagine 252 HP, 128 Spe to beat 68 Spe Heatran. Then the other 128 could go into an attack or defense stat, probably defense, with a boosting nature.

Also, is Decidueye the first Ghost-type to not learn Will-O-Wisp?
Golett line.

Froslass, damn it.

Last edited:
yeah I usually dont which is why for me personally bottle caps mean nothing...hell if I get some I would even trade em off for some random items like choice scarf, life orc etc

I definitely see Decidueye's best hope in the higher tiers as a pivot, much like Celebi with a better typing, either with Baton Pass or U-Turn/Defog. Spirit Shackle really carves it a niche though.

Decidueye @ Leftovers
Ability: Long Reach / Overgrow
- Spirit Shackle / Shadow Ball
- Roost
- U-Turn / Baton Pass
- Defog / Swords Dance / Nasty Plot

Not sure about EVs, but I'd imagine 252 HP, 128 Spe to beat 68 Spe Heatran. Then the other 128 could go into an attack or defense stat, probably defense, with a boosting nature.

Also, is Decidueye the first Ghost-type to not learn Will-O-Wisp? Golett line.
Wow. I think I just decided how i'll initiate battle bond for Ash-Greninja! this will save me the hassle of needing to place a Z-Crystal in his item slot. Can't wait to experiment with that combination.

Someone said it before, but I really like the idea behind Feather Dance. Makes it hard to switch into, except for bisharp, which it can't really take either way.

I've heard somewhere that Spirit Shackles keeps it's effect after Decidueye faints, so it may keep the opponent trapped for 5 turns.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there is a way to get the starters' hidden abilities at the moment.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there is a way to get the starters' hidden abilities at the moment.
There is with Pkhex.

Not that I can test it right now (it's the kind of testing that would only really work in online/local battles).

I think people are underating the Decidueye + Dugtrio/Magnezone combo. Pairing him with a mon with a trapping ability seems pretty deadly to me, it capitalizes on how he prevents double switching.

Decidueye comes out, they switch to their Decidueye counter, you trap it as it comes in with spirit shackle and switch to Dugtrio or Magnezone and there's nothing they can do about it. Obviously if it's something Dugtrio or Magnezone don't fasir well against either it won't be good but I think in general they will fair well against most things people might use to counter Decidueye.
Good point, I can see something like Decidueye+Dugtrio/Magnezone+Clefable working, especially against things like Heatran which will tend to switch into Decidueye, then change to Dugtrio and kill so you can set up with Clef, it sounds good for me in paper.

Good point, I can see something like Decidueye+Dugtrio/Magnezone+Clefable working, especially against things like Heatran which will tend to switch into Decidueye, then change to Dugtrio and kill so you can set up with Clef, it sounds good for me in paper.
I'm trying to brew with this idea quite a bit. This trio certainly wants a set up mon that can benefit from the removal of one of the trapped mons. First thought is a steel type, maybe mega-metagross or something along those lines. Mega-Diancie also sounds plausible as well for synergy

Solved in mechanics thread, works like mean look with damage (Meaning it doesn't persist after switching out)
Good to know. This was always most likely the case but still now we put all the rumors to rest. It's still a very useful move.

I'm trying to brew with this idea quite a bit. This trio certainly wants a set up mon that can benefit from the removal of one of the trapped mons. First thought is a steel type, maybe mega-metagross or something along those lines. Mega-Diancie also sounds plausible as well for synergy
Yea a steel type would certainly appreciate the removal of fire types and other steel types and that's exactly what this combo excels at. Dhelmise could also work in this instead of Decidueye but I think Decidueye is generally going to be better because of his much better move pool but some teams might want Dhelmise for his higher defense/attack and pseudo triple STAB.

Maybe you go all in on trapping though and run Decidueye, Dhelmise, Dugtrio, and Magnezone lol.

i think that in double/triple trappers teams decidueye will want to scout with u turn the counter the very first turn instead of pulling a spirit shackle, say if heatran comes in, then dugtrio traps it immediatly without anyone having to sponge a heatran meaty attack, dugtrio and magnezone aren't exactly premier walls. add rocks and you already are gaining lots of momentum.

Obviously it will be mindgames and stuff, but SS trapping Tran and then u turning means that someone could take a powerful fire attack.

To everyone: what tier do you think Decidueye will be in?
UU but OU viable on the right team. His ability to lure and kill steel and fire types when paired with dugtrio/magnezone and just general ability to prevent double switching is enough give him a niche.

If your team doesn't especially care about steel or fire types or limiting the opponents switching you probably won't play him but if you care about those things he's a strong choice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)