Rocky

Steelicks

Come here and Battle me!
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Rocky

Genre: Drama/Action

The ultimate feel good movie... Rocky never fails. Made on a low budget for a film at the time, Sylvester Stallone based his character on himself; a 'down on his luck' actor that needed a chance to prove himself. And while Rocky might be fighting for the championship belt, Stallone himself was fighting for fame. And it shines through in this film.

The movie is about a young Rocky Balboa, who fights in a shitty little boxing club in the ugly end of Philadelphia and works as a loan-shark just to get by. He is good natured, despite being, on all accounts, a "loser". He falls in love with a young woman named Adrian, his best friends sister, who is incredibly shy... like Rocky himself. Generally, however, things look bleak for poor Rocky, as he loses his place in the boxing club and continues to break peoples thumbs as a loan-shark for cash...

However, the miracle finds it's way to Rocky's life eventually, as he is given a chance to prove himself to the world and make himself known. Apollo Creed, the heavyweight champion of the world, randomly selects an unknown from the masses to have a shot at the title. Rocky's nickname, "The Italian Stallion", catches his eye, and Rocky, against all the odds, is selected to fight the champ.

Rocky must not only train for the fight, but overcome all the other shit that's going on as well... he must not only deal with his jealous best friend and the implications this will have on Rocky's relationship with Adrian, but also overcome his self doubt and begin to believe in himself. This all cumulates to an incredibly exciting, edge of your seat fight against the champion, who has no idea what is gonna hit him...

The acting in this movie is incredible... Stallone plays Rocky perfectly, both as an aggressive fighter eager to prove himself, and a socially-awkward, but good natured outcast, outside the ring. Apollo Creed, played by Carl Weathers, is as pompous and arrogant as you would expect from the champ, making his character showboat as the ultimate parody of Muhammad Ali. Performances from minor characters are passable, but it's the performances from the main cast that make these people seem real and believable.

The movie shows it's age in the fight scenes, where some of the punches (and obviously, the reactions to these punches) seem kinda fake. But it's all definitely passable. The soundtrack is a winner, with the "Rocky theme" everybody knows (although no "Eye of the Tiger" yet), and suitably emotional music where it is needed.

Overall, it is the plot and characters that make this movie a timeless classic. Although it is questionable whether the girls will like this one as much as you, it still has a broad target audience and should appeal to just about everyone. The emotional weight of the story outside the ring is powerful, but never girly. And the boxing is even more exciting than a real life boxing match, since it is so easy to get attached to Stallone's character. Highly recommended viewing!

Overall: 9/10

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
This is such a good film, back when Rocky stood for something real, before it got drowned by sequels. The fact that Stallone wrote and directed this movie also stands as a true show of his workmanship, as I know it won Best Picture that year and I'm pretty sure he won Best Actor.

Sure shows you how fall Stallone has fallen...

Lexay

I could be boned!
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I completely agree with DoomMullet, the first Rocky movie is easily the best one. Maybe it would've been better if there only were 2 or maybe 3 movies in the series - 6 is a total overkill. Hell, I wouldn't mind if the series stopped after the first one.

What I enjoy about Rocky is that this movie is not only entertaining but also useful for both young people and old people. You can learn something out of it. During the series there are lots of 'life lessons' shown and the fact that Stallone actually thought of them himself makes him a true Hollywood legend.

Great movie. Pretty good review too!

I like the first three Rocky films just fine myself, but the original would have worked perfectly as a standalone classic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)