SM Ubers Rock Polish Primal Groudon HO Team

Phantom Me

Banned deucer.
Hi guys! This is my first SM Ubers RMT. There are probably many faults in the team so please go easy on me. Any help and suggestions are heavily appreciated.

Teambuilding Process

Started off with Rock Polish Primal Groudon because it's still the best Pokemon in the meta and rock polish turns it into a deadly sweeper.

Since Groudon doesn't have access to Stealth Rock an offensive hazard setter was mandatory, Excadrill fits in that role perfectly, also acting as a spinner.

A Pokemon was required to cover Primal Groudon's weakness to ground. Yveltal was the first Pokemon that came in my mind, but I chose Salamence because having a mega early eases teambuilding.

Added SD Arceus as it can work in tandem with Primal Groudon to knock down walls.

Xerneas was added to deal with the dragon types and is also my Z-move user.

Finally added Lunala to pressure physical tanks.

In-Depth Description
Groudon @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 168 HP / 240 Atk / 36 SpD / 64 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish
- Precipice Blades
- Swords Dance
- Fire Punch

Rock Polish fixes Groudon's low speed and makes it a deadly setup sweeper. Precipice Blades is its main stab attack. SD gives Groudon a huge boost to bust through walls like defensive Arceus formes, Zygarde-C and Lugia. I chose Fire Punch instead of Rock Coverage because I hate non-accurate moves and it can hit ground immune steel types and many flying types hard and is boosted in the sun.

Excadrill (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Rapid Spin

I chose Excadrill as my suicide lead as it can learn both Stealth Rock and Rapid Spin which is needed for my team. Earthquake is it's stab move and is able to hit Primal Groudon. Stealth Rock along with Mold Breaker allows me to bypass Mega Sableye. Toxic punishes Giratina-O and support Arceus formes. Rapid spin is used to get rid of the entry hazards.

Salamence (M) @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 44 HP / 252 Atk / 212 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Double-Edge
- Roost
- Facade

Mega Salamence is a frightening sweeper with Dragon Dance and high Attack coupled with powerful Aerilate-boosted STAB options. Intimidate pre-Mega Evolution, base 130 Defense, an immunity to Ground-type attacks, and a resistance to Fire-type attacks allow Mega Salamence to serve as a blanket check to many physical attackers, especially Primal Groudon and Ho-Oh. It is also helped by Primal Groudon's ability to punish support Arceus formes, Lugia and Zygarde-C. Dragon Dance increase mega Salamence's sweeping potential. Double Edge is it's best stab due to accuracy and power. Roost provides Salamence with reliable recovery. Facade allows Salamence to take advantage of the burn and toxic it often receives.

Arceus @ Life Orb
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam

Ekiller Arceus is used in my team mainly as a late game cleaner and revenge killer. It works well with Primal Groudon with its ability to switch in WoW and Steel types and the trio of Groudon, Salamence and Arceus can punch holes in the opponents team. SD and ESpeed lets it sweep late game. EQ hits Solgaleo, Magearna, Dialga and Primal Groudon. Ice Beam hits Zygarde-C, Mega Salamence and Giratina.

Xerneas @ Fairium Z
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Geomancy
- Ingrain
- Rest
- Moonblast

Xerneas is my favourite setup sweeper and Z-move user. Its great for stall teams. It's furhter helped by Primal Groudon against Steel types, Kyogre and Ho-Oh. Mega Salamence also covers Primal Groudon and Ho-Oh. Z Geomancy allows Xerneas to boost its Defense, and also boost to +3 in SpA, SpD, and Spe after its second turn of use, making it difficult for threats, especially passive teams, to KO Xerneas. Ingrain is to prevent phasing and also provides nice recovery. Rest is to bypass status and works well with its boosted stats. Moonblast is its main stab move and deals a lot of damage after Z-Geomancy.

Lunala @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Shadow Shield
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moongeist Beam
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam

Lunala is great for handling physically defensive Pokemons. I'm using the Choice Scarf set to remove its poor matchup against offence. Moongeist Beam is strongest move against most of the tier. Psyshock hits on the physical side to cover specially defensive pokemon. Focus Blast to help check Ekiller better. Ice Beam hits Salamence and Zygarde hard while also providing super effective coverage on Yveltal, allowing Lunala to check setup versions of the former two and hitting the latter.

This teams are not meant to be perfect, so there are bound to mistakes. I'm also unsure of some Pokemons and moves. Any tips and changes are encouraged.

Groudon @ Red Orb
EVs: 168 HP / 240 Atk / 36 SpD / 64 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish
- Precipice Blades
- Swords Dance
- Fire Punch

Excadrill (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Rapid Spin

Salamence (M) @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 44 HP / 252 Atk / 212 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Double-Edge
- Roost
- Facade

Arceus @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam

Xerneas @ Fairium Z
Bold Nature
- Geomancy
- Ingrain
- Rest
- Moonblast

Lunala @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Shadow Shield
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moongeist Beam
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam

Phantom Me

Banned deucer.
Hey there, Phantom Me. Not such a bad team there I should say. Well thought out and made.

I don’t think I’ll make any major changes here, just some minor things in the movesets and the evs, which may probably make ur team much better.

I’ll start with xerneas. I’m not so happy with rest on xerneas. What u say is right, it helps against status and healing, but the disadvantage is that u lose 2-3 turns, which gives the opponent a chance to set up, or send in magearna to heart swap ur boosted stats. Since ur team is HO, I’d swap rest with hp-ground. This move helps u to defeat threats to xerneas, such as pdon, solgaleo, and of course, magearna.

Next I’m gonna go with ice beam on arceus. I don’t think ice beam is required because u have choice scarf lunala with ice beam to take care of those pokemon which u mentioned ice beam takes out. Also lunala is a better user of ice beam than arceus, so technically it’s only a waste of a slot there. So I would rather go for shadow claw, to take care of ghost types, as they are immune to extreme speed, which is a disadvantage of ekiller arceus.

Now I’m gonna go for salamence. U didn’t mention exactly why u gave ur salamence 212 speed evs. I believe 320(that is, 176 evs) + dd is enough to outspeed a lot of pokemon in the tier. I also want salamence to take the least damage from ho-oh’s sacred fire, even after sr. so I would make the evs 80 hp, 252 attack and 176 speed.

Lastly, on ur team I don’t see anything which can take out set-up xerneas., so I would swap the speed and special defense evs on primal groudon, and give it roar>sd. This can help u not only with xerneas, but also with other set-up pokemon.

These are the changes in short:

Xerneas @ Fairium Z
Bold Nature

- Geomancy
- Ingrain
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Moonblast

Salamence-Mega @ Salamencite
Ability: Aerilate
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Serious Nature

- Dragon Dance
- Facade
- Roost
- Double-Edge

Arceus @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature

- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Shadow Claw

Groudon @ Red Orb
EVs: 168 HP / 240 Atk / 64 SpD / 36 Spe
Adamant Nature

- Rock Polish
- Precipice Blades
- Roar
- Fire Punch

That’s all that I see. Gl with laddering, and have fun playing.

P.S. : Don’t worry man. All our teams have flaws in them. No team can be perfect.
Thank you very much for your suggestions. However, I'm not gonna change the EVs of Salamence as I like the immediate speed it provides. But I agree with your other suggestions. I also noticed that Shadow Claw would've been useful for Ghost types. Thanks again for your help.

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Thing like SD Arc Ground, offensive P Ogre, and Helmet Deo-S might be annoying to face since they can likely force trades in their favor, but in terms of offensive threats this team has options for handling pretty much all of them thanks to the spreads / sets you've opted for. I can see defensive squads that have a defogger like Arceus-Dark taking your SR advantage (choice locked Lunala for example), but this isn't an easy fix and if you're smart you can try to play around it anyway.

I agree with Stevan's Sceptile that Ice Beam on EKiller probably isn't necessary here, but I feel that pretty much all the other EVs / sets you've picked are. I just don't think this team is weak enough to Mega Mence and Zygarde-C that Ice Beam EKiller is required. For example, you have a defensive Geo Xern and your own Mega Mence to help keep opposing Mence in line. Glare Zygarde-C is probably annoying, but you have 3 Pokemon that can break it assuming you don't opt for Ice Beam on EKiller. If you've played many matches against these two threats and never feel confident without Ice Beam on EKiller, fair enough keep it, but I would recommend trying a move like Stone Edge (busting through defensive Ho-Oh or the uncommon defensive Yveltal would be nice) or even something more unconventional that can give you the edge when facing defensive teams.

Not much else to say here, good luck with your team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)