VGC RMT - VGC17 Hyper Offense - Pheromosa/Lele Core

Hi all. I've been playing the VGC17 meta for a while, and was looking for advice regarding a new team I've built. It's a hyper offense team based around the tried and true core of Pheromosa and Tapu Lele - what resists Phero is KOd by Lele, and vice-versa. Lele also provides excellent support to Phero by ensuring it cannot be KOd by a priority move. Any feedback is appreciated! Thanks!

As I mentioned earlier, this team came about from the Phero/Lele core. These two pokemon perfectly complement each other and can usually pick up a couple of KOs early in the game.

I needed a strong Pokemon that could pair with both Pheromosa and Lele after one of them has fainted. Weakness Policy Fini had started to become known after the Korean tournaments, and I liked the idea. These Pokemon end up synergising very well with one another, and are a potent combo.

Next I added Koko as another element to the team. As a potent attacker, Koko was able to KO threats like Golduck and Celesteela.

To complete the Tapu Spam trend, I added the Phsyical Bulu. It complemented Lele with a one-two punch of physical and special, which could KO most Pokes.

Lastly I added Nihilego as a SpA boosting beast. It's Power Gem/Sludge Bomb combo was excellent. This team peaked at 1200 on PS!, but I wasn't satisfied.

I realised that the problem in my team was synergy. I was just throwing strong Pokemon without thinking of how they complemented each other. I started again, keeping Fini.

A real problem I was encountering was Intimidate leads, as these really crippled Pheromosa's ability to pick up fast KOs. An anti-intimidate tank in Milotic would perfectly 1) Scare away potential intimidate users, and 2) KO any intimidate users that were played.

I realised that an Intimidate user of my own could be useful, so I used the most versatile utility Intimidate user there is in this meta. It’s potential to cripple attackers was too tempting to pass up.

Lastly, I wanted to add a Pokemon that could bring back a 1-2 scenario, the obvious choice being Garchomp. I debated running Tectonic Rage, but ended up going for AV.

The Nitty Gritty

an bug (Pheromosa) @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
Level: 50
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Beam
- Poison Jab
- U-turn/Speed Swap

Pheromosa is one half of my deadly core. It usually can pick up an early KO or two and change the shape of the match, as well as pairing oh-so-well with Lele. As a fast, snowballing (ATK Boosting EVs) attacker, it can easily can reduce a team to shreds. Unboosted All-Out-Pummeling easily OHKOs all P2 variants, and +1 Poison Jab OHKOs most Tapu variants. HJK is the main STAB, dealing incredible damage right off the bat. Ice Beam is important coverage against Garchomp and Drifblim. PJab for annoying Fairies, and U-turn can be used to gain offensive momentum. Speed Swap can be used as a niche choice to function in TR. Further experimentation needed!
252+ Atk Pheromosa All-Out Pummeling (195 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Porygon2: 194-230 (101 - 119.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252+ Atk Pheromosa Poison Jab vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Tapu Koko: 178-210 (121.9 - 143.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

4 SpA Pheromosa Ice Beam vs. 28 HP / 52 SpD Assault Vest Garchomp: 132-156 (70.5 - 83.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

4 SpA Pheromosa Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 204-244 (110.8 - 132.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Easter Egg (Tapu Lele) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Energy Ball
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball

Forming the other half of my dynamic HO duo, Lele provides an important coverage synergy with Phero. Anything that Phero can’t hit effectively, Lele OHKOs. Psychic Surge sets up a Psychic Terrain that prevents any priority moves from touching Phero. It is a prime SpAttacker, which can make a deadly combo with any other Pokemon on my team. It has greater longevity than Phero, giving it an opportunity to pair with the others on my team. Moonblast is a Fairy STAB, Energy Ball destroys the annoying Gastrodon, Psychic is an absolute NUKE under Psychic Terrain, and Shadow Ball is nice coverage.
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Koko: 160-190 (109.5 - 130.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 12 HP / 142 SpD Drifblim in Psychic Terrain: 249-294 (109.6 - 129.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Gengar in Psychic Terrain: 482-570 (354.4 - 419.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Energy Ball vs. 204 HP / 188+ SpD Gastrodon: 296-352 (139.6 - 166%) -- guaranteed OHKO

no step on snek (Milotic) @ Adrenaline Orb
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 80 HP / 168 SpA / 124 SpD / 136 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Protect

Milotic performs the somewhat niche function of an anti-intimidate destroyer. After an Intimidate, it gets +1 to Speed and +2 to SpA, turning it into an offensive bomb. Scald is it’s STAB, capable of sweeping after a Competitive boost. Ice Beam destroys Garchomp and Blim, and HP Grass to once again cripple Gastrodon.
+2 168 SpA Milotic Hidden Power Grass vs. 204 HP / 188+ SpD Gastrodon: 184-220 (86.7 - 103.7%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

+2 168 SpA Milotic Ice Beam vs. 28 HP / 52 SpD Assault Vest Garchomp: 228-272 (121.9 - 145.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 168 SpA Milotic Scald vs. 228 HP / 116 SpD Celesteela: 93-111 (46.2 - 55.2%) -- 12.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Oversized Stapler (Tapu Fini) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Muddy Water
- Protect
- Taunt

As I needed a late-game cleaner-upperer, I added Fini. Fini is designed to take supereffective hits and destroy attackers due to WP boost. It’s a tried and true Korean set that only sometimes fails (85% accuracy always seems like 8.5%!). Dazzling Gleam is a reliable move, but Muddy Water is the primary STAB that can destroy many Offensive Pokemon.
+2 252+ SpA Tapu Fini Muddy Water vs. 228 HP / 116 SpD Celesteela: 120-142 (59.7 - 70.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252+ SpA Tapu Fini Dazzling Gleam vs. 28 HP / 52 SpD Assault Vest Garchomp: 174-206 (93 - 110.1%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

+2 252 SpA Tapu Fini Muddy Water vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Kartana: 143-168 (106.7 - 125.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 252+ SpD Tapu Fini: 101-120 (69.6 - 82.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

bork bork (Arcanine) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Will-O-Wisp
- Snarl
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Arcanine serves as a ‘Mon that can switch in, cripple attackers, switch out and let Lele do it’s work. It’s movepool accommodates for some WoW/Snarl Shenans and it does plenty of damage with heat wave. HP Grass for Gastrodon.
252+ SpA Arcanine Heat Wave vs. 228 HP / 116 SpD Celesteela: 134-158 (66.6 - 78.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Pan-Am (Garchomp) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Fire Fang

Garchomp is a great late game attacker, with the bulk to take a few hits. It can turn around a 1-2 situation, and has the potential to crack open a defensive team at the start of a match. DClaw and EQ are high power STABs, and Iron Head can deal with Fairies such as Ninetales-A easily. FFang deals with the annoying Kartana easily.
252 Atk Garchomp Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Ninetales-Alola with an ally's Aurora Veil: 116-138 (78.3 - 93.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Garchomp Fire Fang vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kartana: 120-144 (89.5 - 107.4%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Tapu Koko: 198-234 (135.6 - 160.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

an bug (Pheromosa) @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Beam
- Poison Jab
- U-turn

Easter Egg (Tapu Lele) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Energy Ball
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball

no step on snek (Milotic) @ Adrenaline Orb
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 80 HP / 168 SpA / 124 SpD / 136 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Protect

Oversized Stapler (Tapu Fini) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Muddy Water
- Protect
- Taunt

bork bork (Arcanine) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Will-O-Wisp
- Snarl
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Pan-Am (Garchomp) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Fire Fang

Thanks for any suggestions!
*NB: This is my first RMT on this site, so any formatting or stuff help would be also appreciated!

Cool team, and nice looking rmt for a first try. Formatting doesn't look like it'll be an issue for you. Anyway, the only thing I have to ask, is why special Arcanine? Not only is no bulk Arcanine Ohko'd by jolly garchomp (when you can't get the intimidate off on it), but physical Arcanine is objectively better and the special physical split on your team would be 50/50.
Just about every Arcanine set I've seen (well, besides no bulk) is an effective one, but here's one I like to run.

Arcanine @ Iapapa Berry
EVs: 76 HP / 244 Atk / 4 Def / 12 SpD / 172 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Extreme Speed/Roar
- Wild Charge
- Protect
This also gives your team some much needed electric coverage and outspeeds max speed Gyrados for the threat of wild charging into it before it can do anything.

Nice set, but I must ask why are you replying to a dead thread posted 3 months ago? Also VGC17 is kinda dead until much later, so it's kinda irrelevant. If I do come back to this set, I'll use you Arcanine set.

Nice set, but I must ask why are you replying to a dead thread posted 3 months ago? Also VGC17 is kinda dead until much later, so it's kinda irrelevant. If I do come back to this set, I'll use you Arcanine set.
I don't think I realized this was from 3 months ago. Seeing as how the only advice I had was to use a slightly different Arcanine set, I probably wouldn't have said anything if I had just paid attention, you know?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)