SM Doubles OU Rev 22:13 - Mega Gardevoir SemiRoom (Snake team, peaked suspect #1)

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
Rev 22:13

haha edgy name xd xd

intro

yo, i'm Memoric, and i do some stuff here and there for DOU : )

So yeah, I've been using this team as one of my go-to teams for whatever stuff I have to play for. As can be seen on the title, this team has most notably been my laddering team for the latest Deo-A suspect. It was originally made during the first phase of the Snake Draft tour, for my first game which was against Biosci (won, fortunately). I figured that, since it was the first game and all, I should bring a general comfort pick that covered all the bases; that led me to this team, a SemiRoom that played well both offensively and defensively as it had an assortment of pivots and strong beatsticks that matched up versus most stuff that I could have faced.

This team, like I described before, is a SemiRoom team; it's a team that uses Trick Room for speed control, but isn't totally reliant on it for actually outrunning threats as the team packs a "fast mode" and other pieces have Speeds that lie in the middle. However, this team's fast mode isn't that loaded as it's literally only Marshadow, the next fastest thing being an uninvested Mega Gardevoir; however, Marshadow is pretty excellent at covering for this team's Speed deficiencies as it's pretty much able to claim most slower threats with SSSSS, with faster threats such as Mega Gengar, Tapu Koko, and Deoxys-A covered well enough defensively. What this team lacks in fast offensive pieces, it makes up for a sturdy defensive backbone; Tyranitar, Volcanion, Tapu Bulu, and Celesteela are all bulky enough to take hits and pivot around, the first three also being no slouches offensively. Even without the advantage in typing, my backbone can carry its weight as, in addition to already being bulky on the physical side, all of them except Celes have a massive boost to Special Defense through Assault Vest or a sand boost; all of them can also take advantage of healing from Grassy Terrain, with Tyranitar and Volcanion also appreciating weakened Earthquakes.

Overall, this team's style is about finding a good position to go ham with Mega Gardevoir and Tyranitar, Marshadow being used to pick off anything that can become troublesome and the rest of the team patching up any issues that may arise and filling in during the process.

The nicks are just whatever really, I've been studying religion for class and the particular verse was p striking so there you go.

team

the Alpha (Gardevoir-Mega) @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 224 HP / 140 Def / 144 SpA
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Trick Room
- Protect

Spread: Lives Bullet Punch from 252+ Atk Mega Scizor. It looks ghetto because I just copped a spread then edited from that so... yeah.

Mega Gardevoir is pretty much the team's fulcrum. Aside from being one of the two's main offensive weapons, Mega Gardevoir serves as the team's carrier of Trick Room, which can change the tides of a game by itself. The goal with MGard really is to just set TR in most ideal situations and then just go in with the rest of the guys. The set's bulky because setting Trick Room is pretty much essential and I don't need the Speed anyway lol; the bulk also helps against the broken PsySpam cores without Mega Metagross as Mega Gardevoir is able to turn the tables on those HO teams. Hyper Voice is the main attack blah blah blah blah and Psyshock is the secondary STAB for Amoonguss and stuff like that; I used Psyshock over Psychic for AV stuff and CM Tapu Fini though I suppose Psychic is more useful nowadays.

the Omega (Tyranitar) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Rock Slide
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Low Kick

Spread: Maximize bulk, maximize power.

BandTar is the team's primary breaker and best beatstick. Its job is really to just apply as much damage as it can with its busted power. However, for an attacker, Tyranitar is also quite versatile as is a really handy pivot with its massive SpDef in sand, and its typing really helps against Mega Salamence, Mega Gengar, and Hoopa-U among others. I opted for Choice Band because I really wanted to maximize the power especially under Trick Room, with Banded Stone Edge often taking foes to the point of no return; I didn't want to run Life Orb as Tyranitar's bulk is really handy for this team and I didn't want to compromise it, and the Z-Move is better applied somewhere else, I felt. Rock Slide is there to give me a spread cleaning / chipping option, and Crunch is the more accurate power move. Low Kick lets Tyranitar get through Ferrothorn and opposing Tyrannitar while also quickly obliterating Snorlax, though I suppose Superpower is better in this case; I digress.

the First (Marshadow) @ Marshadium Z
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Spectral Thief
- Shadow Sneak
- Protect

Spread: Maximize power, maximize Speed.

Marshadow's main job on the team is to cover the team's Speed by nuking fast threats to oblivion with Soul-Stealing 7-Star Strike. It's the team's speed safety net, providing me a usable threat outside of Trick Room that I can apply pressure with. It helps that Marshadow has stellar offensive coverage as this means I can threaten a plethora of threats with just one Pokemon; in particular, Marshadow helps with taking out Mega Metagross quickly, which can be quite annoying to the team. Marshadow can also be utilized as a general nuke; very little can stand up to SSSSS, and this in conjunction with Marshadow's Ghost-typing is what helps me delay Fake Out shenanigans and hard TR . While Marshadow as the sole fast mode does still leave me outrun by the likes of Mega Gengar, Tapu Koko, and Deoxys-A, being naturally outrun by them is fine as this team is equipped enough to deal with them from a defensive standpoint; if ever, I also still have Shadow Sneak on Marshadow to pick them off if feasible. The moveset should need little explanation in general, though it's notable that Spectral Thief is helpful against set-up shenanigans.

the Last (Volcanion) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 160 SpA / 96 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Heat Wave
- Steam Eruption
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Spread: Live Tapu Koko LO Thunderbolt in Electric Terrain, rest on Special Attack.

Volcanion patches up this team's need for a better check to Steels, Ferrothorn and Celesteela in particular, as well as giving it a solid Water-immunity for Rain. With a high natural Defense stat and an Assault Vest on, Volcanion is capable of checking a plethora of threats at a time; in particular, it can function as a check to Marshadow, Mega Metagross, Mega Salamence, and Mega Gengar, all fast threats that can do numbers to a team this slow, and it also deters Mega Scizor. Volcanion also serves as the offensive pivot with the stellar coverage moves, parallel to Tapa Bulu's raw strength; while Heat Wave and Steam Eruptions are simply STABs, Sludge Bomb hits Fairy-types such as the Tapus and opposing Volcanion, and HP Ice gets the snipe on Mega Salamence and Landorus-T.

the Beginning (Tapu Bulu) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Atk / 136 SpD
Brave Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Nature's Madness
- Stone Edge

Spread: Live a Psycho Boost from Rash Deoxys-A under Psychic Terrain, rest in Attack.

The other offensive pivot, Tapu Bulu adds to the team terrain control as well as a handy way of dealing with Water-related stuff, such as breaking Tapu Fini and providing more insurance against Rain. Similar to Volcanion, its high Defense and Assault Vest lends it the ability to check various threats, this time such as Hoopa-U, opposing Tyranitar, Tapu Koko, and Landorus-T among others. Most notable to Tapu Bulu is its Grassy Surge as the Grass Terrain it provides is quite versatile; it provides the team residual healing, removes other Terrain to hinder opposing Island Guardians and co., weakens Earthquake from the likes of Landorus-T and Excadrill, and it makes Tapu Bulu itself an offensive monster. With the Grassy Terrain boost, Tapu Bulu can also do double duty as additional beatstick, with Wood Hammer capable of obliterating anything it hits. Horn Leech, which is still threatening if in Grassy Terrain, provides Tapu Bulu that key recovery which aids in its longevity. Nature's Madness is there to allow Tapu Bulu to chip in even if it can't do significant damage on the target, while Stone Edge is nice coverage versus certain Flying-types; I don't think I need Superpower as Heatran isn't that common anyway.

the End (Celesteela) @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Atk / 48 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Spread: Guarantee an OHKO on bulky Tapu Lele, maximize Defense while still gaining a Special Defense boost with Beast Boost.

Celesteela was added to supplement whatever match-ups that looked some semblance of troubling; with the team's lack of solid checks to Mega Metagross (and by extension, Genesect), I opted to run Celesteela on the final slot. Celesteela's Steel-typing is generally pretty good defensively in the first place as it lets me handle various whatevers and serves to patch up the little holes that are left; in particular, Steels like the aforementioned Mega Metagross and Genesect get checked, and I also get another way of dealing with PsySpam. Celesteela doesn't really need Trick Room to function as it's more of a generally bulky threat that can whittle down with Leech Seed; this means that Celesteela is another piece that can function without actually needing speed control. Heavy Slam is STAB blah blah blah, Flamethrower lets me actually touch the Steels I mentioned + Ferrothorn, and Leech Seed does Leech Seed things, providing chip damage while also making Celesteela last longer.

***​

conclusion

While I did vote ban on Deoxys-A, in the end it stayed. And that's ok because I never felt too strongly on this suspect. been lit.

Shoutouts to talkingtree and my Snake tour teammate suapah for testing this team with me when I was going to use it versus Biosci. Thanks for letting me try out this team ya feel.

ok.

the Alpha (Gardevoir-Mega) @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 224 HP / 140 Def / 144 SpA
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Trick Room
- Protect

the Omega (Tyranitar) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Rock Slide
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Low Kick

the First (Marshadow) @ Marshadium Z
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Spectral Thief
- Shadow Sneak
- Protect

the Last (Volcanion) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 160 SpA / 96 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Heat Wave
- Steam Eruption
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Ice]

the Beginning (Tapu Bulu) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Atk / 136 SpD
Brave Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Nature's Madness
- Stone Edge

the End (Celesteela) @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Atk / 48 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower
- Leech Seed
- Protect

I'm Nyanners McNyaa~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)