Return'd

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
So I'm too lazy to read more than the first and last page of the forum, so maybe I'm late to the party but

PAN BINSIR

please.

uwat (Pinsir-Mega) @ Pinsirite
Ability: Moxie / Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature / Jolly Nature
- Feint
- Protect
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat

This one set destroys everything in its path. You basically need faster +2 priority to beat it. You might be tempted to put more coverage or something over Protect, but you really shouldn't, because Fake Out will ruin your day. Seriously, this thing is just amazingly strong, and I have not lost a battle yet because of it. The only one I nearly lost, it was because I was nearly swept by a Pinsir. I counterswept with Ditto, and finished him off with, you guessed it, Pinsir.

Don't forget Feint goes through Protect and all varients thereof, so that won't do anything but waste your turn versus Pinsir. It's one of the reasons it's so good. It means you can't say, Mega you own Pinsir with Protect and Feint back to kill on the speed tie. You're just dead.

EDIT: I forgot about moxie. The few checks this thing has (I use the word "checks" loosely, mostly to mean things that can revenge kill Pinsir by tanking a single hit and KOing back) are basically invalidated by a +1 from Moxie. Skarmory and Doublade are just about the only things that can take on Pinsir regardless.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/returnd-449684680

I only have the one replay so far (I forgot to save, but low ladder is full of people who quit after 2 turns anyway so most would be junk)

Second point:
TAN BALONFLAME

This I think is a little less clearcut because counters do still exist, but Acrobatics Talonflame is incredible, and when Pinsirite inevitably gets banned and Feint is less common it will be even more so. Acrobatics is the equivalent of a 204 base power move, unless I'm doing something horribly wrong.

uw0t (Talonflame)
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Protect

This is basically the same thing as Pinsir, but with less priority and worse / different coverage. It's fast enough that getting outsped by matching priority isnt really a problem, even outspeeding Weavile. It is also cancer, and doesn't even require the mega stone.
252 Atk Talonflame Brave Bird (AKA Acrobatics with 204 base power) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 243-286 (71.2 - 83.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return (AKA Feint with 102 base power) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 247-292 (72.4 - 85.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

PS: I typed this out before the post above me was posted. I would be pretty cool with Acrobatics and Feint being banned instead of mons. I feel like other things with feint will come to be popular if Mega Pinsir goes, although of course Flying is a far superior type. Notably If Pinsir is banned the second strongest user of the move is... Zangoose.

252+ Atk Toxic Boost Zangoose Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 252-297 (73.9 - 87%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Did I say next strongest? Haha, jk, it's stronger.

252+ Atk Toxic Boost Zangoose Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 502-592 (147.2 - 173.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Also lol if you choose facade for some reason instead

252+ Atk Guts Ursaring Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 549-646 (160.9 - 189.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
don't run Ursaring, this power level is just ridiculous

And finally some sets that are fun, but not broken

uwet (Thundurus) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Charge Beam
- Thunder Wave
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Stronk Charge Beam is stronk and makes you stronker. I haven't used HP Ice yet. Taking suggestions for that slot. I might put Protect actually. Yes. That's a good idea.

UDit (Ditto) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Transform

This thing is a really nice revenge killer in a meta as offensive as this. Get it in on a Pinsir that tried to set up and you... win? Unless they have like, Aggron. Or Fake Out. Fake Out is common. Oh well. It's still a lot better than standard.

Last edited:
I don't normally say things like this, but Mega Pinsir absolutely needs to be quickbanned, no doubt. It can destroy almost any Pokemon with Feint. Oh, you're a steel type? Earthquake. Something that M-Pinsir can't stop (like Air Balloon Doublade, I've seen that)? M-Pinsir has 5 other teammates. But even then, M-Pinsir can sweep teams alone. This wouldn't be as much of a problem if Feint had +1 BP, but it has +2, and it breaks through Protect. As stated before, it also gets amazing coverage moves in Earthquake/Close Combat. Literally, I've been using a (suggested) core of Weavile and Garchomp just to beat it. I know many people who agree that M-Pinsir is broken, too.
Finally, it;s non-contact so you cant even punish mega pinsir with rocky helmet / iron barbs / rough skin. It's disgusting.

One fun thing I've tried out is Rock Polish + Rollout on stuff like Regirock, Golem etc. Since it builds damage it can quickly become an annihilating force. Just make sure Aqua Jet / Mach Punch / Vacuum Wave users are out of the way first...

Last edited:
I was looking forward to this meta, to try out some fun sets, but Pinsir and Talonfalme are forcing me to run 2 or 3 bird spam checks as well as something to wall special attackers because I need to put all my ev's into defense. Pinsir is so over centralizing that people can mindlessly run that, a defogger and something to deal with steels / rock types and just mindlessly win. Add it with ditto and you put yourself at a disadvantage not using the same types of teams.

I just came here to say that Rollout/Ice Ball is the most amazing move ever. For those that don't know, they still keep their effect of doubling power every turn, so they have 200 power after one turn. and 400 power after two turns. You get the idea. On the 5th turn, it hits with 1600 base power, which is absolutely stupid. The very existence of this move should discourage you from ever running stall in this metagame. Unfortunately there are like no good Rollout and Ice Ball users, as the only pokemon who get STAB on these moves are slow and/or weak. Also Glalie, which is literally a ball of ice, doesn't get Ice Ball, but gets Rollout. I still really think these moves have a lot of potential, but they're really tough to use when everything has priority. What do you think the best Rollout/Ice Ball users are? I tried using stuff like Walrein, Salamence (illegal with Moxie), and Kabutops in rain, and they were all kinda underwhelming.

I just really want Rollout to be good cause it's a such a meme move

Yeah, right now I'm running Mega Slowbro, Scizor, Scarf Magnezone AND Zapdos just to deal with those two (and they are practically in every single team), and, while Mega Bro is so powerful that it almost erupts steam (hehe), Mega Pinsir is still a monster.

By the way, VoltTurn is still pretty usable, and Zone appreciates using 102BP HP Fire. Also Scizor can use Return'd U-Turn instead of Bullet Punch - while losing 102BP priority, Scizor gains an ability to punish every switch made by opponent while retaining momentum (but unfortunately needs support in form of paralysis)

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
I just came here to say that Rollout/Ice Ball is the most amazing move ever. For those that don't know, they still keep their effect of doubling power every turn, so they have 200 power after one turn. and 400 power after two turns. You get the idea. On the 5th turn, it hits with 1600 base power, which is absolutely stupid. The very existence of this move should discourage you from ever running stall in this metagame. Unfortunately there are like no good Rollout and Ice Ball users, as the only pokemon who get STAB on these moves are slow and/or weak. Also Glalie, which is literally a ball of ice, doesn't get Ice Ball, but gets Rollout. I still really think these moves have a lot of potential, but they're really tough to use when everything has priority. What do you think the best Rollout/Ice Ball users are? I tried using stuff like Walrein, Salamence (illegal with Moxie), and Kabutops in rain, and they were all kinda underwhelming.

I just really want Rollout to be good cause it's a such a meme move
Also Defense Curl doubles that if it was used before the move
I like running it on Regirock as it doesn't care about being slow, tanks most physical attacks (Defense Curl Boost op) and can just kill anything after 2-3 turns. Rest for HP recovery is nice too.

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Also Defense Curl doubles that if it was used before the move
I like running it on Regirock as it doesn't care about being slow, tanks most physical attacks (Defense Curl Boost op) and can just kill anything after 2-3 turns. Rest for HP recovery is nice too.
Regirock is doubly nice because is actually counters PinsFlame or whatever we want to call the dumb birdspam thing.
+2 252 Atk Mega Pinsir Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Regirock: 292-344 (80.2 - 94.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

and Rollout OHKOs. Any other move does less, unless you;re running like Storm Throw as your Return'd move or something. That's also just the calculator's default set for Regirock, idk what it would run. Point is it can live.

Physdef Zapdos, Skarmory, Rotom-A (but not C), Rhyperior, and Doublade can all somewhat wall Pinsir. Ditto can revenge kill it. Glyx has been saying Pinsir isn't that bad, but not why that I've seen. I'd be interested to see more.

any prior damage and that turns into a potental OHKO SR on the field makes that a almost 44% OHKO chance.

that's a sketchy check at best a counter is something that can come in take the hits and force a switch-out without dying in the process.

it literally needs to come on swords dance because unless mega pinser isn't already boosted it's going to waltz past that so called counter.

In the meantime of Pinsir being banned, here's a super fun set!

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Def / 76 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draining Kiss
- Spikes/Substitute/Magnet Rise
- Calm Mind
- Thunder Wave

Basically the only viable Draining Kiss user, but it's hella fun to get 75% HP recovery from a 102 BP move with virtually no resists. This thing resists flying and normal as well (although it's beaten by Pinsir at +2).

Mega Pinsir, Talonflame, and Teambuilding
As anyone who has played this can attest, both of these flying type hitters are insanely powerful. However, they are not without their flaws.

Mega Pinsir: While it may tear holes in unprepared offense, it's actually worse than most people seem to think. Feint hits exactly as hard as return, so if you could wall it before you can wall it now. Hippowdon, Zapdos, Mega Slowbro, Physically Defensive Landorus-T, and Doublade all do this well. A far better example of its power is versus frail teams, but that's still less than it appears.
The thing about Mega Pinsir, aside from its power, is that it is fast. If you have less than 105 speed, then the difference between Return and Feint is entirely academic. This includes many Pokémon such as Garchomp, Charizard, Soft Sand Landorus-T, Manaphy and Mega Medicham, all of which are viable despite its existence in standard. The only things feint does for it is let it revenge scarfers, Talonflame, and the Lati Twins- and free up a moveslot. In practice, this moveslot is filled by whichever of Earthquake and Close Combat you missed out on before, so if it answers both sets it can style over Mega Pinsir regardless. It also retains a number of checks, from the Magnets (which handle Skarmory, Doublade, some Metagross and Scizor besides), Mega Manectric and Raikou, who love a boosted volt switch, Klefki, Mega Aerodactyl, Azumaril, Metagross, and Scarf Tyranitar/Landorus. It's certainly a fearsome foe, but it's not far beyond what is regularly dealt with in OU.

Talonflame: there is no denying that Acrobatics hits like a truck, allowing Talonflame to sweep things it could not before. It's worth noting, however, that Talonflame still has 0 coverage, meaning that Pokemon from Tyranitar to Regirock just laugh in its face. Magnet on is particularly notable, as it takes acrobatics all day, gains boosted momentum in Volt Switch, and also checks other common threats such as Mega Pinsir. While Acrobatics is significantly stronger, it does only 11% more than Choice Band Brave Bird due to the lack of item, so checks and counter still not apply. While Talonflame can defeat further foes in theory, it badly wants to run Acrobatics, Flare Blitz, Steel Wing, U-Turn, Swords Dance, Roost, and Taunt.
It's longevity is significantly improved, but like Mega Pinsir it quickly died to Stealth Rock and faster threats. It's countered outright (or as much as any mon with U-Turn can be countered) by Regirock, Aggron, Tyranitar, Landorus-T, Bulky Aerodactyl (shamelessly stolen from AG), Heatran, Rhypherior, and Rotom-W, while being checked by everything from ScarfTon to Garchomp. It's main danger is in boosting up, but even then a timely Skarmory, Mega Pinsir, Mega Lopunny or Quagsire can stop it.

On a separate note, there isn't nearly enough team diversity, so let's fix that.
-As far as underrated mons go, the Magnets are really far up there. Forget HP fire- 102 Bp volt switch is where its at. They can handle both Birdpam and Birdspam counters, and are great at stealing momentum. They can take on Scizor, Doublade, Heatran (if HP Ground), Mega Pinsir, Talonflame (if Magneton), and other electric types.
-Similarly, Landorus-T is rather unappreciated. A buffet U-Turn or Knock off is always appeciated, or if you don't like those than Rock Slide Smack Down is almost a flat improvement to Stone Edge. It also has an increase in what it checks, allowing it to fulfill still more roles. It's a great answer to Talonflame, Mega Lopunny, Mega Pinsir, Doublade and Magnezone, although their ability to be stacked+it's lack of recovery means it shouldn't be your only answer.
-Mega Metagross is a monster, whether it be by Bullet Punching things to oblivion or Pursuit trapping their unsuspecting Mega Pinsir. It can also defeat quick attack Mega Lopunny and isn't walled by Skarmory/Landorus/Tyranitar, which is super nice.
-Regirock is a great answer to Birdspam that's made nearly impossible to switch in one due to rollout. While it's lack of recovery and weakness to Bullet Punch/Aqua Jet is unenviable, it's sheer bulk makes up for quite a lot
-Mega Manectric is a neat Mega, taking on Pokémon from Talonflame to Azumaril. Volt Switch is great, Overheat is solid coverage, and Intimidate makes it just an amazing pivot. While you should keep it from directly switchin in, they can't afford to switch into Volt Switch either.
-While Quagsire can't come in on them, it is an excellent answer to boosted Talonflame and Pinsir. It can also easily defeat non-Grass Knot Metagross, Doublade, Mega Lopunny, and Belly Drum Azumaril.
- Mega Slowbro is a solid pick, possessing regenerator Pre-Mega, a titanic Defense stat, Shell Armor to prevent critical hit hax, reliable recovery, a boosted scald, and an excellent typing. It takes on everything from Azumaril to Metagross

Last edited:
Pinsir is really broken, everyone (me too) runs one on its team.
I have a klefki (iron defense, calm mind, rest, draining kiss [102 bp] ) to stop it, but sometimes it can fail.
As for talonflame, I'm running a feintspam team so every time I see a talonflame it's like: Mon1 used Feint! Talonflame lost 100% of its health! Talonflame fainted!
But well, if you ban feint, acrobatics is the next one.

As anyone who has played this can attest, both of these flying type hitters are insanely powerful. However, they are not without their flaws.

Mega Pinsir: While it may tear holes in unprepared offense, it's actually worse than most people seem to think. Feint hits exactly as hard as return, so if you could wall it before you can wall it now. Hippowdon, Zapdos, Mega Slowbro, Physically Defensive Landorus-T, and Doublade all do this well. A far better example of its power is versus frail teams, but that's still less than it appears.
The thing about Mega Pinsir, aside from its power, is that it is fast. If you have less than 105 speed, then the difference between Return and Feint is entirely academic. This includes many Pokémon such as Garchomp, Charizard, Soft Sand Landorus-T, Manaphy and Mega Medicham, all of which are viable despite its existence in standard. The only things feint does for it is let it revenge scarfers, Talonflame, and the Lati Twins- and free up a moveslot. In practice, this moveslot is filled by whichever of Earthquake and Close Combat you missed out on before, so if it answers both sets it can style over Mega Pinsir regardless. It also retains a number of checks, from the Magnets (which handle Skarmory, Doublade, some Metagross and Scizor besides), Mega Manectric and Raikou, who love a boosted volt switch, Klefki, Mega Aerodactyl, Azumaril, Metagross, and Scarf Tyranitar/Landorus. It's certainly a fearsome foe, but it's not far beyond what is regularly dealt with in OU.

Talonflame: there is no denying that Acrobatics hits like a truck, allowing Talonflame to sweep things it could not before. It's worth noting, however, that Talonflame still has 0 coverage, meaning that Pokemon from Tyranitar to Regirock just laugh in its face. Magnet on is particularly notable, as it takes acrobatics all day, gains boosted momentum in Volt Switch, and also checks other common threats such as Mega Pinsir. While Acrobatics is significantly stronger, it does only 11% more than Choice Band Brave Bird due to the lack of item, so checks and counter still not apply. While Talonflame can defeat further foes in theory, it badly wants to run Acrobatics, Flare Blitz, Steel Wing, U-Turn, Swords Dance, Roost, and Taunt.
It's longevity is significantly improved, but like Mega Pinsir it quickly died to Stealth Rock and faster threats. It's countered outright (or as much as any mon with U-Turn can be countered) by Regirock, Aggron, Tyranitar, Landorus-T, Bulky Aerodactyl (shamelessly stolen from AG), Heatran, Rhypherior, and Rotom-W, while being checked by everything from ScarfTon to Garchomp. It's main danger is in boosting up, but even then a timely Skarmory, Mega Pinsir, Mega Lopunny or Quagsire can stop it.

On a separate note, there isn't nearly enough team diversity, so let's fix that.
-As far as underrated mons go, the Magnets are really far up there. Forget HP fire- 102 Bp volt switch is where its at. They can handle both Birdpam and Birdspam counters, and are great at stealing momentum. They can take on Scizor, Doublade, Heatran (if HP Ground), Mega Pinsir, Talonflame (if Magneton), and other electric types.
-Similarly, Landorus-T is rather unappreciated. A buffet U-Turn or Knock off is always appeciated, or if you don't like those than Rock Slide is almost a flat improvement to Stone Edge. It also has an increase in what it checks, allowing it to fulfill still more roles. It's a great answer to Talonflame, Mega Lopunny, Mega Pinsir, Doublade and Magnezone, although their ability to be stacked+it's lack of recovery means it shouldn't be your only answer.
-Mega Metagross is a monster, whether it be by Bullet Punching things to oblivion or Pursuit trapping their unsuspecting Mega Pinsir. It can also defeat quick attack Mega Lopunny and isn't walled by Skarmory/Landorus/Tyranitar, which is super nice.
-Regirock is a great answer to Birdspam that's made nearly impossible to switch in one due to rollout. While it's lack of recovery and weakness to Bullet Punch/Aqua Jet is unenviable, it's sheer bulk makes up for quite a lot
-Mega Manectric is a neat Mega, taking on Pokémon from Talonflame to Azumaril. Volt Switch is great, Overheat is solid coverage, and Intimidate makes it just an amazing pivot. While you should keep it from directly switchin in, they can't afford to switch into Volt Switch either.
-While Quagsire can't come in on them, it is an excellent answer to boosted Talonflame and Pinsir. It can also easily defeat non-Grass Knot Metagross, Doublade, Mega Lopunny, and Belly Drum Azumaril.
- Mega Slowbro is a solid pick, possessing regenerator Pre-Mega, a titanic Defense stat, Shell Armor to prevent critical hit hax, reliable recovery, a boosted scald, and an excellent typing. It takes on everything from Azumaril to Metagross
You forget that since Feint is +2 priority, there is absolutely no reason to not run adamant, on top of Pinsir not taking Rocky Helmet or Rough Skin, like AquaticPanic mentioned earlier.

Switching your Landorus in on an Adamant SD Pinsir and you have a huge chance to die after SR.
+1 252+ Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Feint vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Landorus-T: 318-375 (83.2 - 98.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Bold Hippo?
+2 252+ Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Feint vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 348-411 (82.8 - 97.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Mega Bro can come in once, and if you're not mega'd already you better hope for a low roll
+2 252+ Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Feint vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Slowbro: 255-301 (64.7 - 76.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Quagsire is a joke
252+ Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Feint vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 219-258 (55.5 - 65.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

You need something that resists flying to have a remote chance vs this thing:
+2 252+ Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Feint vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Zapdos: 217-256 (56.6 - 66.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252+ Atk Mega Pinsir Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 225-265 (74.2 - 87.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

lmfao at raikou
+2 252+ Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Feint vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Raikou: 342-403 (106.5 - 125.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

People were mentioning Regirock
+2 252+ Atk Mega Pinsir Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Regirock: 282-334 (77.4 - 91.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

and Doublade
+2 252+ Atk Mega Pinsir Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Doublade: 196-232 (60.8 - 72%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

"but Doublade has 102 bp Shadow Sneak"
0- Atk Doublade Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Pinsir: 93-109 (34.3 - 40.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Scarf Zone can't Switch in on plus 2, and specs dies to eq obviously. Better run max HP scarf Zone to counter.
+2 252+ Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Feint vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Magnezone: 120-142 (42.7 - 50.5%) -- 2% chance to 2HKO

Things do check it, like Skarm, Doublade, or Mega Aggron, but then you lose all offensive momentum, can hardly do anything back (in the case of Skarm or other steels without rock coverage) AND run the risk of getting trapped by 102 base damage hp fire Mag or worn down by 5 other members.
Speaking of trapping:
252 Atk Tyranitar Pursuit vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Pinsir: 145-172 (53.5 - 63.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage
get the pursuit play wrong and you die to CC as scarf Tar.

I don't think anyone is saying that Pinsir is unbeatable, but the amount for resources you have to commit to beating it is unreal.

Also what you said about Mega Mane taking on Azu
-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Manectric: 243-286 (86.4 - 101.7%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

Last edited:
Is rock smash bugged or is intend to be this way? Scizor is adamant 252 and rock smash is on 1st slot. Why the damage is so low? Brick Break had the same problem.

Turn 1
donaldjtrumpforusa withdrew Togekiss!
donaldjtrumpforusa sent out Rotom (Rotom-Wash)!
Stalin's Scizorite is reacting to Dudu Flag's Mega Bracelet!
Stalin has Mega Evolved into Mega Scizor!
Stalin used Rock Smash!
A critical hit! The opposing Rotom lost 1% of its health!
The opposing Rotom restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Turn 15
The opposing Scizor used Bullet Punch!
It's not very effective... Stalin lost 35% of its health!
Stalin used Rock Smash!
The opposing Scizor lost 0% of its health!

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/returnd-450220002

The Immortal I think we all can say we seriously hope you take our vote for quickbanning Pinsirite into consideration. Well, either that or Feint...

Anyway, some fun stuff I have used that works well either in general, or by taking advantage of certain situations.

Infernape @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
Timid Nature
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Vacuum Wave
- Fire Blast
- Grass Knot / Nasty Plot
- Hidden Power Ice / Rock

A basic special sweeper Infernape set can catch a lot of people off guard, mostly because of how most people seem to expect the physical set. It also scares out stuff like Lucario and Ferrothorn nicely, allowing you to either hit their switch-in with a predicted attack, or set up Nasty Plot for a sweep, and takes out Adamant Crawdaunt even at +1.
A 102-power Vacuum Wave blows away almost any fast threat not packing their own priority as well as some of the bulkier threats he wouldn't dare hit with a physical set; for example, 2HKOing standard Tankchomp and Mega Metagross, guaranteed.
Fire Blast strikes slightly harder than vacuum wave against slower neutral targets, and hits Grass types supereffectively, but it's not gonna get used much outside of slow targets that need a slightly harder hit.
Grass Knot can guarantee the 2HKO on Azumarill after SR, forcing it to use Aqua Jet if it switches in once and making it easy to play around.

252 SpA Life Orb Infernape Vacuum Wave vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 212-251 (50.8 - 60.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Infernape Vacuum Wave vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Metagross: 172-203 (56.9 - 67.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Infernape Grass Knot (60 BP) vs. 172 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 177-208 (46 - 54.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

-Similarly, Landorus-T is rather unappreciated. A buffet U-Turn or Knock off is always appeciated, or if you don't like those than Rock Slide is almost a flat improvement to Stone Edge. It also has an increase in what it checks, allowing it to fulfill still more roles. It's a great answer to Talonflame, Mega Lopunny, Mega Pinsir, Doublade and Magnezone, although their ability to be stacked+it's lack of recovery means it shouldn't be your only answer.
The reason Mega Pinsir is broken is NOT that it is some unstoppable force that cannot be checked or stopped. The reason is that it completely overcentralises the metagame to the point that:
- Hyper Offense teams are utterly unviable as Mega Pinsir outspeeds and sweeps everything aside from the rare faster Extremespeed users and Fake Out.
- You are forced, forced, to run multiple checks on your team just to stop it sweeping, and if it gets a Swords Dance off even those checks are at isk of being OHKOed after SR.
- It utterly restricts teambuilding because of these factors.

Talonflame I will reserve judgement on because its coverage sucks and its priority is only +1, making it somewhat easier to deal with. But Mega Pinsir is too centralising, too resitrictive, and needs to go.

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
Make it better, use Smack Down. This way, Skarmory and Zapdos can be hit by STAB equake and there's no reason to run Rock Slide over this anyways.

You forget that since Feint is +2 priority, there is absolutely no reason to not run adamant, on top of Pinsir not taking Rocky Helmet or Rough Skin, like AquaticPanic mentioned earlier.

Switching your Landorus in on an Adamant SD Pinsir and you have a huge chance to die after SR.
+1 252+ Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Feint vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Landorus-T: 318-375 (83.2 - 98.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Bold Hippo?
+2 252+ Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Feint vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 348-411 (82.8 - 97.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Mega Bro can come in once, and if you're not mega'd already you better hope for a low roll
+2 252+ Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Feint vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Slowbro: 255-301 (64.7 - 76.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Quagsire is a joke
252+ Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Feint vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 219-258 (55.5 - 65.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

You need something that resists flying to have a remote chance vs this thing:
+2 252+ Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Feint vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Zapdos: 217-256 (56.6 - 66.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252+ Atk Mega Pinsir Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 225-265 (74.2 - 87.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

lmfao at raikou
+2 252+ Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Feint vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Raikou: 342-403 (106.5 - 125.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

People were mentioning Regirock
+2 252+ Atk Mega Pinsir Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Regirock: 282-334 (77.4 - 91.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

and Doublade
+2 252+ Atk Mega Pinsir Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Doublade: 196-232 (60.8 - 72%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

"but Doublade has 102 bp Shadow Sneak"
0- Atk Doublade Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Pinsir: 93-109 (34.3 - 40.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Scarf Zone can't Switch in on plus 2, and specs dies to eq obviously. Better run max HP scarf Zone to counter.
+2 252+ Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Feint vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Magnezone: 120-142 (42.7 - 50.5%) -- 2% chance to 2HKO

Things do check it, like Skarm, Doublade, or Mega Aggron, but then you lose all offensive momentum, can hardly do anything back (in the case of Skarm or other steels without rock coverage) AND run the risk of getting trapped by 102 base damage hp fire Mag or worn down by 5 other members.
Speaking of trapping:
252 Atk Tyranitar Pursuit vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Pinsir: 145-172 (53.5 - 63.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage
get the pursuit play wrong and you die to CC as scarf Tar.

I don't think anyone is saying that Pinsir is unbeatable, but the amount for resources you have to commit to beating it is unreal.

Also what you said about Mega Mane taking on Azu
-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Manectric: 243-286 (86.4 - 101.7%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
You never run adamant on pinsir, as you then are dead weight against other Pinsirs. Please noone do this.

Hippo wins because it OHKOs. MBro comes in on any attack and proceeds to iron def+recover, because no one runs adamant. Quagsire also OHKOs, so while it can't counter it can check despite boosts, and is an SSI to everything but feint. I get the feeling you didn't read very closely, either, because I very clearly said raikou was only a check. Regirock still counters, because it then OHKOs, and doublade: A) lacks eviolite and B) nnever runs 0- attack. Scarf Zone checks obv because it cant come in on eq, but it doesn't need defense to Check because its OHKoing pinsir. Same thing with magneton. Doublade has plenty of offensive prescence, as well- shadow sneak hits like a truck at +2, easily OHKoing pinsir.
I'm not sure if this is reading comprehension or what, but please respond to what I'm saying rather than what you think I'm saying.
The reason Mega Pinsir is broken is NOT that it is some unstoppable force that cannot be checked or stopped. The reason is that it completely overcentralises the metagame to the point that:
- Hyper Offense teams are utterly unviable as Mega Pinsir outspeeds and sweeps everything aside from the rare faster Extremespeed users and Fake Out.
- You are forced, forced, to run multiple checks on your team just to stop it sweeping, and if it gets a Swords Dance off even those checks are at isk of being OHKOed after SR.
- It utterly restricts teambuilding because of these factors.

Talonflame I will reserve judgement on because its coverage sucks and its priority is only +1, making it somewhat easier to deal with. But Mega Pinsir is too centralising, too resitrictive, and needs to go.
HO isn't unviable, simply because MPinsir isn't that strong. Azumaril, for instance, solidly checks it, as do several other offensive pokemon- particularly with rocks up, which HO relies on. It also has several counters, so you don't need to run multiple checks, ist just a good idea to. That being said, its hardly unique in that- in standard running just 1 talonflame check is suicide, for instance.

HO isn't unviable, simply because MPinsir isn't that strong. Azumaril, for instance, solidly checks it.
252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 176 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 298-352 (77.4 - 91.4%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock.

In fact Azumarill needs absolute max HP investment just to guarantee avoiding the OHKO after rocks. It certainly cannot switch in, and it dies instantly to Feint after a bit of chip damage.

It also has several counters
Like what? All Mega Pinsir needs to do is find an opportunity to SD (very easy among the more defensive teams) and almost everything is OHKOed or 2HKOed after rocks - AFAIK only Zapdos and Bronzong can fully counter it, and since Bronzong sucks Zapdos becomes almost a necessity for offense to succeed against it.

Some more calcs.

+1 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Landorus-T: 289-342 (75.6 - 89.5%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
- This can be OHKOed after rocks, even factoring in intimidate. Yes, if Mega Pinsir just attacks instead of boosting, Landorus-T can tank the hits and force it out or Stone Edge it, but if M-Pin boosts on the turn Landorus-T switches in there's a chance it will be ohkoed. This is not a counter, just a semi-reliable check.

+2 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 80+ Def Mega Slowbro: 255-301 (64.7 - 76.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO.
- Again, if MP swords dances on the switch-in, Mega Slowbro is 2HKOed after rocks even if it iron defenses, guaranteed. Again, without boosts Megabro can force it out or set up on it. Still not a full counter though, and there's always the (unlikely) chance of Pinsir packing a bug move.

Mega Pinsir can straight up clean up a weakened team / sweep through Offense with Feint, or find an opportunity to boost and annihilate defensive teams. Anything faster is picked off, anything slower that doesn't OHKO it just gives it the opportunity to set up and sweep. And aside from a very small selection of the bulkiest Pokemon and resists around, very little can safely switch in - even Mega Metagross is 2HKOed by Earthquake.

You never run adamant on pinsir, as you then are dead weight against other Pinsirs. Please noone do this.

Hippo wins because it OHKOs. MBro comes in on any attack and proceeds to iron def+recover, because no one runs adamant. Quagsire also OHKOs, so while it can't counter it can check despite boosts, and is an SSI to everything but feint. I get the feeling you didn't read very closely, either, because I very clearly said raikou was only a check. Regirock still counters, because it then OHKOs, and doublade: A) lacks eviolite and B) nnever runs 0- attack. Scarf Zone checks obv because it cant come in on eq, but it doesn't need defense to Check because its OHKoing pinsir. Same thing with magneton. Doublade has plenty of offensive prescence, as well- shadow sneak hits like a truck at +2, easily OHKoing pinsir.
I'm not sure if this is reading comprehension or what, but please respond to what I'm saying rather than what you think I'm saying.

HO isn't unviable, simply because MPinsir isn't that strong. Azumaril, for instance, solidly checks it, as do several other offensive pokemon- particularly with rocks up, which HO relies on. It also has several counters, so you don't need to run multiple checks, ist just a good idea to. That being said, its hardly unique in that- in standard running just 1 talonflame check is suicide, for instance.
What? Why not run adamant? Why would I ever hinge my game on winning a speed tie with an opposing Pinsir? I have +2 priority so the only ESpeed user that is going to outspeed is Zyguard. And what is Quag running? Ancient Power? Stone Edge?

0 SpA Quagsire Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Pinsir: 84-100 (30.9 - 36.9%) -- 72.8% chance to 3HKO
Is the 30% chance to burn your counter?

Hippo OHKOing Pinsir doesn't change the fact that you need to sac a Pokemon to get it in to AVOID dying in two hits. I feel like you're assuming all of your mons are 100% hp all of the time which is NEVER going to be the case in battle because of hazards, trapping, and having to switch in on other threats unless you're assuming you're opponent is literally only running one mon in the form of Pinsir.

On top of that I don't understand how you think Azu can be a check to Pinsir as it has a chance to die after rocks and gets out prioritized.
252+ Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 327-385 (80.9 - 95.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

and you need to get reread b/c my calc was with Eviolite Doublade
this one is without, and EQ easily OHOKs
+2 252+ Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Feint vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Doublade: 147-173 (45.6 - 53.7%) -- 41% chance to 2HKO

AND you need to run Adamant to OHKO Pinsir with +2 Shadow Sneak, which I don't know why anyone would ever stay in on that but whatever.
+2 32+ Atk Doublade Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Pinsir: 229-271 (84.5 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

I get the feeling you're expecting your opponent to leave Pinsir in on your Magenezone or your Regirock or other counters and never make any double or aggressive plays to wear down our trap your counters. Everyone here I believe agrees that there are ways to play around Pinsir, but the fact that it is on 85% of the teams in higher elo, or the fact people are running 3 mons to counter should tell you at least something.

Last edited:
252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 176 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 298-352 (77.4 - 91.4%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock.

In fact Azumarill needs absolute max HP investment just to guarantee avoiding the OHKO after rocks. It certainly cannot switch in, and it dies instantly to Feint after a bit of chip damage.

Like what? All Mega Pinsir needs to do is find an opportunity to SD (very easy among the more defensive teams) and almost everything is OHKOed or 2HKOed after rocks - AFAIK only Zapdos and Bronzong can fully counter it, and since Bronzong sucks Zapdos becomes almost a necessity for offense to succeed against it.

Some more calcs.

+1 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Landorus-T: 289-342 (75.6 - 89.5%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
- This can be OHKOed after rocks, even factoring in intimidate. Yes, if Mega Pinsir just attacks instead of boosting, Landorus-T can tank the hits and force it out or Stone Edge it, but if M-Pin boosts on the turn Landorus-T switches in there's a chance it will be ohkoed. This is not a counter, just a semi-reliable check.

+2 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 80+ Def Mega Slowbro: 255-301 (64.7 - 76.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO.
- Again, if MP swords dances on the switch-in, Mega Slowbro is 2HKOed after rocks even if it iron defenses, guaranteed. Again, without boosts Megabro can force it out or set up on it. Still not a full counter though, and there's always the (unlikely) chance of Pinsir packing a bug move.

Mega Pinsir can straight up clean up a weakened team / sweep through Offense with Feint, or find an opportunity to boost and annihilate defensive teams. Anything faster is picked off, anything slower that doesn't OHKO it just gives it the opportunity to set up and sweep. And aside from a very small selection of the bulkiest Pokemon and resists around, very little can safely switch in - even Mega Metagross is 2HKOed by Earthquake.
It's been my experience that max HP Azumaril is the only set worth running, as the speed doesn't let you outpace anything but other azumarils and you are just clicking aqua jet ~95% of the time. Still, I should have specified. Regardless of that, however, it still checks- it lives a hit and koes- while being extremely viable elsewhere, and isn't all that crippled in its job afterwords.

Outside of zapdos and bronzong?
Skarmory also works, as does hippowdon (you need 3 layers of spikes or equivalent chip to change that, because 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 160-189 (38 - 45%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after 2 layers of Spikes and Leftovers recovery). Rotom wash is a solid GSI that would be a counter but for pain split's unreliability, and defensive Slowbro does so post-mega (252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Slowbro: 117-138 (29.6 - 35%) -- 13.4% chance to 3HKO) because bug moves are bad, Rest or Wish passing with Maggron avoids the 3HKO (and the 4HKO from earthquake) while OHKOing in return, and Doublade acts as an offensive GSI. Defensive Landot is a single Use GSI that punishes Earthquake, Swords Dance, and Close Combat, while Mega Metagross is an offensive GSI but crumbles after any chip whatsoever. Salamence can switch in if rocks are up and makes the next checks job easier, while defensive aero/Maero do the job but are rather questionable uses of a slot. Rotom Heat does much the same as Wash but is less useful, and Physdef Gliscor can come in guarenteedly On anything but SD and that 87.5% of the time. Special mention goes to Evioilite Gligar, who walls after rocks 100% of the time, OHKOes, and has recovery but is normally unviable, and Rhypherior/Rhydon which is a GSI if defensive but are shaky with their better offensive sets after rocks.

They're obviously not all gems (ugh rhydon) but between them you can fit a counter onto pretty much any team without sacrificing too much. Furthermore, with how much MPinsir takes from rocks forcing it out is almost as good.

Since I'm on a tangent here, the point I'm trying to make is that everything bad you are saying about MPinsir is exactly identical to standard. It's only advantages are outspending the Lati Twins, which aren't used anyway, beating MDiancie, which is but probably shouldn't be... and not being as bothered by priority, which is questionable as it used to not have to worry about the likes Azumaril or Doublade 1v1. It's certainly a nice offensive Pokémon, but it's been my experience born out through over a hundred games both now and previously that a well built team, particularly bulky offense, will style all over it.
What? Why not run adamant? Why would I ever hinge my game on winning a speed tie with an opposing Pinsir? I have +2 priority so the only ESpeed user that is going to outspeed is Zyguard. And what is Quag running? Ancient Power? Stone Edge?

0 SpA Quagsire Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Pinsir: 84-100 (30.9 - 36.9%) -- 72.8% chance to 3HKO
Is the 30% chance to burn your counter?

Hippo OHKOing Pinsir doesn't change the fact that you need to sac a Pokemon to get it in to AVOID dying in two hits. I feel like you're assuming all of your mons are 100% hp all of the time which is NEVER going to be the case in battle because of hazards, trapping, and having to switch in on other threats unless you're assuming you're opponent is literally only running one mon in the form of Pinsir.

On top of that I don't understand how you think Azu can be a check to Pinsir as it has a chance to die after rocks and gets out prioritized.
252+ Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 327-385 (80.9 - 95.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

and you need to get reread b/c my calc was with Eviolite Doublade
this one is without, and EQ easily OHOKs
+2 252+ Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Feint vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Doublade: 147-173 (45.6 - 53.7%) -- 41% chance to 2HKO

AND you need to run Adamant to OHKO Pinsir with +2 Shadow Sneak, which I don't know why anyone would ever stay in on that but whatever.
+2 32+ Atk Doublade Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Pinsir: 229-271 (84.5 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

I get the feeling you're expecting your opponent to leave Pinsir in on your Magenezone or your Regirock or other counters and never make any double or aggressive plays to wear down our trap your counters. Everyone here I believe agrees that there are ways to play around Pinsir, but the fact that it is on 85% of the teams in higher elo, or the fact people are running 3 mons to counter should tell you at least something.
Adamant means you lose to Opposing MPinsir, tie opposing fast Landot, are outspeeded by the crowded base 100 tier should you want to use coverage (like manectric and KYuB), and miss almost everything Premega, from Heatran to EXca to neutral Landot to Gyara. I suppose I shouldn't be so dismissive, but it's really a massive sacrifice.

Quagsire would run counter or rock slide, yes.

I'm not sure how this reading fail happened because you didn't only quote, you also wrote it in your answer, but that's still a check, even somewhat to the worse adamant set.

Eviolite is my own personal reading good, so I suppose I shouldn't be too critical, but I'm a) unsure as to why you would use that set, and B) wondering why you would switch- nothing comes in on a +2 Doublade except quag and somewhat skarm (can't afford to roost so is badly damaged but phases). At +0, sure come in, but +2 Doublade is solidly stronger than Pinsir
+2 252+ Atk Doublade Shadow Sneak vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 204-241 (48.5 - 57.3%) -- 94.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery.
What that mostly tells me is that ladder is being uncreative (depending on what you consider top ladder- I'm pretty sure that only 5 or 6 of the top 10 use it). Running three dedicated counters to something is just bad teambuilding.

So that this isn't just me arguing about counters and checks, I'd like to come out and say that Doublade, not pinsir, is probably the best Pokémon in the current metagame. Mega Metagross and Azumaril are also close contenders, but Doublade has an amazing type and incredible Bulk, allowing it to 1v1 most of the metagame (including mega Lopunny) while being a terrifying and difficult to revenge setup sweeper. It has some difficulty with dark types such as tyranitar if it doesn't catch them on the switch, but it's been the MVP on both sides in nearly every battle I've seen and played. It's evxtremely splashable, and while it's predictable that doesn't help much with stopping it, especially since it can set up multiple times a match.

Rhydon? Doublade? Hippo/Skarm? Seems not like a balanced metagame but rather like a Mega Pinsir and the bunch of walls. Honestly, doublade is garbage without MPins (and it can't even properly counter MPins). Talking about creativity? I'd rather use MBanette for Shadow Sneak if I'd be able to (without occupying Mega Slot with Slowbro or Pinsir).
Well, suspect test is coming, that's kinda nice...

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 28 HP / 252 SpA / 228 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ancient Power
- Fire Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power

This thing's amazing, and it's been consistently the MVP of my team so far.

• Resists the flying spam that's been plaguing the meta and outpaces Mega Pinsir to avoid dying to CC/EQ. 100 base power Ancient Power OHKOs SpDef Talonflame and is 100% accurate with the potential to get boosts in all stats.
  • Resists normal type priority from the likes of Feint Zangoose and Mega Lopunny, and Scarf Tran Outpaces Mega Lopunny and kills after some prior damage. I have Helmet Lando to help with that on my team.
  • Resists Ice Shard users such as Weavile and outpaces pretty much every user of that, just watch for Low Kick Sash variants (I versed one).
  • Checks Bullet Punch users like Scizor and Metagross although it doesn't want to risk switching in to a Superpower and Hammer Arm/EQ, respectively.
You'll need teammates to handle Aqua Jet, Mach Punch and Vacuum Wave users, however, but that shouldn't be too much of an issue teambuilding-wise.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)