Project Research Week: SM PU Edition - Week 16 (Poliwrath and Ludicolo)

What would you like to see for next research week?

• Challenge Week (read rules if you don't know what I mean by this)

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Regular Week

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
ok since the suspect is over this can continue yay! I'll be using the same mons we used in week 4 because it got cut off due to the suspect test.

Week 4

This week we'll be using Absol and Drampa. Absol seems to be gaining traction on spikestack teams utilizing Fairium Z sets or just plain Life Orb sets. Drampa was chosen due to it's insanely high special attack and wide movepool it also gains some viability now that Guzzlord is gone. GL to all the participants!​

cryalot

senza telescopi
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
RW4MEWANTMAROBACK RW4oroscopo

My mon of choice was Absol.
Overall it has a nice attack, getting access to STAB Knock and Sucker, decent speed tier even if not really good. After testing a bit with Fairium Z i started thinking It wasnt worth it, since i rarely clicked the coverage move. That’s why i went for Life Orb, which gives that juicy boost to every move every time.
I focused on building around Fighting-Psychic-Dark cores, using a lot of priority or strong fast mons.

DARKDARK

Absol @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough
- Swords Dance

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 240 HP / 192 Atk / 64 Def / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Bulk Up

Mesprit @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- U-turn
- Healing Wish

Golurk @ Colbur Berry
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dynamic Punch
- Ice Punch

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 128 HP / 128 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Toxic
- Heal Bell

Skuntank @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Aftermath
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Defog

The idea being this team was dark spam with pretty standard LO SD Absol + top tier mon Skuntank.
The team is pretty fun, built around Dark-Psychic-Fighting core. i gave Shuca berry to Skuntank and Colbur to Golurk to mitigate earth and dark weakness, choice which paid out pretty well. The many priority moves help with the weaknesses of the team to specific types such as grass and with frail set up sweepers. The combo Absol + Gurdurr worked really good, being able to win me almost any game, sometimes being Gurdurr to tear the opponent team apart in order for Absol to clean, sometimes the other way around. Scarf Mesprit is there to gain momentum, revenge kill and healing wish back someone if needed, Lanturn adds another electric immunity other than Golurk and is the special sponge.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-643762017
I want to share this replay because, even tho Absol didnt even show up, I want to show that around turn 14 it basically cleaned the game, since Palossand was low health and wouldnt have been able to revenge kill Absol anyway.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-643796260
Fun game, Absol cleans.

DANK BAD TEAM

Absol @ Choice Specs
Ability: Super Luck
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

Throh @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Circle Throw
- Knock Off
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

Qwilfish @ Black Sludge
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave

Mesprit @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- U-turn
- Healing Wish

Regirock @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 232 HP / 16 Def / 236 SpD / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Archeops
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Stone Edge
- Acrobatics
- Earth Power
- Roost

After making the previous decent team, i wondered what other Absol set could i build around. That’s why i chose god specs Absol, hoping to get some surprise bop kills. This team is pretty solid, absol there is basically dead weight but it gave me some fun wins.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-644971976
Only decent game where absol does something (bops swanna pretty hard).

Last edited:
Hello everyone! iRebel has passed the thread onto me, so I'll be in charge from now on. So, to kick off my first week in charge, we're gonna be doing two mons that are pretty underrated right now. Throh is really tanky on the special side, giving it a niche as an assault vest user. On the other hand, Throh can utilize Bulk Up to become nearly unstoppable when it has accumulated enough boosts. Type: Null functions similarly, using Swords Dance+RestTalk to be both tanky and dangerously strong at the same time.

Last edited:
Yeah it seems like throh is underrated as a trick room abuser as after guts, an adament throh hits atk level closer to deoxys attack!
It's been going well in my team as a wallbreaker but lack of stab really hurts. Needing to use either storm throw or brick break as fighting stab hurts it worse than its already shallow movepool.
Still going..

Congratulations Deceton! You win by default, due to being the only person to give a (semi) in-depth description of your experiences with the mons.

Last edited:
As for our next set of mons, they will be the following: Ninjask/Jynx

Ninjask carries the ubiquitous Speed Boost, giving it a niche as a solid set-up sweeper and revenge killer. Jynx typically utilizes Z-Sweet Miss, giving itself a speed boost while also putting the opposing Pokemon to sleep, giving it a niche as a Cleaner/Wallbreaker with Nasty Plot.

You have until next Monday! (Apologies for the late announcement, tight schedule for me today.)

Just going to post this to bring this to people's attention: If by the end of the week, you have not posted at least Semi-in-depth explanation of your experiences with the mon, you will not be eligible to win. Alright, serious mode off. Good luck guys!

My mon of choice was Throh.
Initially when read about description of this mon,it was mentioned as an assault vest tank, but to my surprise running flame orb and guts really improved its attack stat, even somewhat rivaling deoxys in sheer strength. But where it fail to challange to cosmic virus was definitly in its movepool. Without sufficient coverage, it definitly was put to challange. Seriously it's physical power was only hindered by that issue alone. Storm throw, even though weak was really useful and didn't regret including it in the arsenal.Knock off was essential with so many Eviolite and to eliminate my ghost issue somewhat and earthquake was my only coverage. And as all flame orb guts user facade was the move of choice and it definitly is the only move worth selecting, even if it is neutral. It will do serious damage coming of 438 Atk.
So any flaws then?
Indeed. It's move options is the prime limiting factor. Also since my team was trick room, it needed that support, but fortunately is tanky enough. It could handle a Psyshock from a mespirit, barely thou. It provided nice options.
Throh @ Flame Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Facade
- Earthquake
- Storm Throw
- Knock Off

Abomasnow @ Icium Z
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpA
Brave Nature
- Earthquake
- Blizzard
- Wood Hammer
- Ice Shard

Porygon @ Eviolite
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Tri Attack
- Trick Room
- Toxic
- Recover

Dusclops @ Eviolite
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Toxic
- Night Shade
- Pain Split

Mesprit @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Trick Room
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock

Drampa @ Life Orb
Ability: Berserk
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Dragon Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Extrasensory

Also when running this monster be prepared to brink multiple tanks as you will switch quite often. Another niche I tried briefly was a rest talk set, with sleep talk gaining guts boost. It was awful, to say the truth. To my eyes Throh is a mon to use with a flame orb guts set or as a tank or as a status abusing tank. In anyways it will perform admirably regardless of your other mons and is a sure synergy to your team. Just use it wisely. Nothing would want to stay against this mon. Even walls are 2HKoed,sometimes 3.Still very impressive since we are at PU and nothing is super broken here.
Overall a very solid mon and definitly using it for next one.

Sorry but don't have replays saved. Only one and it is not uploading.

Last edited:
Preliminary analysis of ninjask
---------------------------------------------------
A really cool mon to use.
Revenge killing? CHECK
Outspeeding scarfers? CHECK
A soft wallbreaker? CHECK
lemme tell on that last point. I use groundium z dig on my ninjask to lure in the most common checks like steel fire and rock types. That tectonic rage will definitely hurt those 'counters'. Also availability of final gambit is nice, cause with speed boost you can pretty much atleast an important mon of thiers. Thats why i used the word soft,it can't destroy them but definitly cripple them.
Unfortunatly stealth rock destroys it and the movepool cripples it as well. Apart from dig nothing can hit steel or rocks(apart from hp, which is terrible on ninjask).
Anyway still trying....

SergioRules

||blimp||
is a Community Contributor
Making a post even though I didn't ladder that much.

Ninjask @ Groundium Z
Ability: Speed Boost
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leech Life
- Dig
- Aerial Ace / Substitute

So I won't admit to being a good teambuilder, but I'd still consider myself decent. And no matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't build a good team around this thing. I like Ninjask, used it a lot last gen, but this gen I feel like it's just suffered too much from power creep. Z-moves and Leech Life buff have helped it out a ton, but it still has to get an SD boost if it wants to try and actually sweep. Part of me thinks that maybe I took the wrong route of trying to build around it as a main wincon and instead should've tried to make it a late game revenge killer/cleaner with a Choice Band set. Maybe I'm also just a bad player (which is honestly what I'm leaning toward) but I just found jask to be really mediocre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)