Research Week ORAS Edition [Week 8] - Won by Fire Lord Mako

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
shout-out to my Mazz for being the OG-OP
Hello, Underused!

Professor Kink here to present to you Week 8 of the ORAS edition of Research Week!

Keep the following things in mind during every Research Week:
  • Be open-minded, don't just say something is terrible and walk away; look at its stats and typing and think something up!
  • Feel free to theorymon early in the research period, but make it clear you're doing so. Later in the period though, you will be expected to back up your posts with hard evidence like logs, actual sets, perhaps even teams.
  • Just because an analysis has been done for a Pokemon doesn't mean there isn't more to explore; it's very likely that something has gone unnoticed.
  • Do not post in this thread complaining about the Pokemon or movesets I choose and / or suggesting ones we should do for future weeks. Feel free to VM / PM me these suggestions, but don't expect me to always listen to you.
A few things to clarify:
  • Sign-ups can be as late as you want, but the week will end on Sunday.
  • Early period means the first three days of the Research Week, so let's keep the theorymoning to a minimum after this period. The late period refers to the last four days of the research week, where raw evidence and discussion should become the basis of the thread.
  • The prizes for Research Week have been decided; winning a Research Week will grant you half-ops on our IRC channel, #xyuu. You'll also get put in the UU Hall of Fame. Don't forget, participation in projects like Research Week help towards earning the Community Contributor badge!
  • I'm implementing a mandatory discussion in order to be considered as a winner of Research Week. If you do not post one somewhat-coherent post that describes the Pokemon that you're using, their roles, and their niche in the metagame, you will be disqualified from winning this week. Please post about your experiences no matter if you think you've got a chance to win or not.
  • Finally, I'd like to implore you to all please remember to post and save your replays. Often, these replays are the most informative sources of information about RW Pokemon - you can write a full two paragraphs about the role of a Pokemon, but often that can all be summed up with a video and an explanation of it. How useful are these Pokemon in XYUU? What gives them trouble? What advantages do they have over other Pokemon? How well do they work in the metagame? If you have anything to say about any of these Pokemon, please post about them! Remember, discussion is not limited to this topic, you are encouraged to talk about these Pokemon in #xyuu and the Viability Ranking Thread as well.

This Week's ORAS Selection
Barbaracle
Ability:
Evs:
Nature
-
-
-
-

Omastar
Ability:
Evs:
Nature
-
-
-
-

Cloyster
Ability:
Evs:
Nature
-
-
-
-

In order to participate you must do the following:
  • Post here with a fresh alt and the name(s) of the Pokemon you will be using.
  • Use at least one of the Pokemon being researched.
  • Post your experiences with the Pokemon you're using, participate in the discussion!
  • Post logs of this Pokemon in action against other teams - don't just tell us, show us
  • The winner of the challenge will be the person who has the highest ladder ranking on the Pokemon Showdown UU ladder on the alt they registered at the time the challenge ends.
  • Winners will also receive a permanent spot in the XYUU Hall of Fame
  • PLEASE post your updated rank with your updated analysis ON SUNDAY

Last edited:
IN
Pokemon: All of then cuz wynaut im kinda busy so barbacle only
Alt : awesomeserperior
So I broke the 1400 barrier(1409 to be exact) for the first time in my life which was nice.But i still couldn't make it to ladder. Overall Barbacle has a good niche and can be a beast if used properly.

Barby (Barbaracle) @ White Herb

Ability: Tough Claws

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Adamant Nature

- Shell Smash

- Razor Shell

- Stone Edge

- Cross Chop
This set uses unreliable moves but is the best way of crushing steel types and has overall better coverage then an X-scissors or Poison Jab. Barbacle does have a HUGE movepool so you can adjust this based on your needs
At first glance, Barbacle actually looks pretty decent; it has reasonable bulk, a good attack stat, a huge movepool,a great ability in Tough Claws, and shell smash to top it all off. In fact, after a smash boost Barbacle has enough power to 2HKO the entire tier bar chesnaught. But it is not all gold for Barbacle, it is weak to fighting and ground which are two of the most common types in UU. It also has a tough time setting up as it can only set up on flying types like Crobat. Additionally, it relies on unreliable moves like cross chop and stone edge for coverage.

Overall, Barbacle can have a good niche as a shell smash sweeper as it is better than cloyster in my opinion but has some exploitable flaws that make it hard to get the shell smash in the first place. I think its definitely better than pu but needs to have a good user to maximize it in uu.

Actually 2HKOs the entire tier bar chesnaught but just thought of posting some interesting calcs

+2 252+ Atk Tough Claws Barbaracle Razor Shell vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Gligar: 288-342 (86.2 - 102.3%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252+ Atk Tough Claws Barbaracle Cross Chop vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 159-187 (46.2 - 54.3%) -- 96.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252+ Atk Tough Claws Barbaracle Razor Shell vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Donphan: 392-464 (102 - 120.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252+ Atk Barbaracle Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tentacruel: 289-342 (79.3 - 93.9%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252+ Atk Tough Claws Barbaracle Razor Shell vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 396-468 (94.2 - 111.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/battle-uu-207911014

This replay shows the power and futility of Barbacle. Once Barbacle goes into sweep mode after the shell smash it is nearly unstoppable. But its Achilles heel is that it relies too much on lowish accuracy moves and it WILL miss at least one move during the sweep and will get koed.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-207975927

Last edited:
In
Baatar Jr
Barbaracle. zz

######
Barbaracle @ Splash Plate
Ability: Tough Claws
Adamant Nature
- Razor Shell
- Shell Smash
- X-Scissor
- Earthquake

This was the barbaracle set that I used during RW, however because of the mega salamence dropping, I started running stone edge>X-Scissor to OHKO it.

I went with splash plate over the usual white herb because the best counter to barbaracle at the moment is Aggron-Mega. And Splash plate allows me to 2HKO most types of mega aggron, which power herb doesn't do. (Razor shell>EQ because of filter). X-scissor was to hit bulky psychics/darks like Reuniclus and Umbreon and Earthquake to hit Jirachi.

Honestly, when radianthero156 said barbaracle was an A- mon I thought he was joking, but honestly, I'm finding barbaracle to be an absolute monster, it can setup on crobat, the most common mon in the tier, it can setup on all the fire types, and just demolish them from there. At +2 speed this monster out speeds most scarfers, like darmanitan, hydreigon and more. And it has base 105 attack that is doubled after shell smash 0_0, this thing is amazing..

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-207929402

That's pretty much it cause i didn't play much or save the ones i did play :[ sorry to disappoint lol

nice WL y/n?

Last edited:

Euphonos

inanod ng mga luha; damdamin ay lumaya.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Entering under ULT RWanda with the overrated Cloyster as my chosen Pokemon.

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
A reminder to everyone that this ends today at approximately 6pm or whenever I happen to get home.

Euphonos

inanod ng mga luha; damdamin ay lumaya.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus

Hello, guys~ =)​

Cloyster @ Focus Sash
Ability: Skill Link
Jolly Nature
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Ice Shard

The Pokemon I chose for this week's research is Cloyster. Cloyster is one of those solid attackers in the ORAS UU metagame and is still as threatening as ever. I have nothing else to say here because the set that I use is pretty much standard, with Ice Shard as its filler move because my team is strapped of priority options (aside from Whimsicott's non-damaging moves thanks to Prankster).

As much as Cloyster is the focal point of research on my part, I haven't had some opportunities to use Cloyster in most matches because its teammates contribute a lot of work to the success of the team. FOUR of Cloyster's teammates are momentum-grabbers as they utilize Volt Switch and U-turn very well to find an opportune time where Cloyster will set up and strike. But if Cloyster did have a chance to switch in, all freezing hell (such oxymoron) is breaking loose. There are some instances wherein I use Cloyster as a pure attacker just as not to ruin my Shell Smash run, and there are some instances wherein Cloyster could do the clutch it needs to win a match.

Usually, bulky Water-type and Steel-type Pokemon give no fucks against Cloyster, hence a little help from its teammates in the form of Mega Ampharos and Infernape. Mega Ampharos takes care of Water-type Pokemon (barring those with Ground typing, i.e. Swampert) through Discharge (paralysis helps) or Volt Switch, while Infernape takes care of Steel-type Pokemon through either Close Combat or Overheat. As said, I never had some opportunities in using Cloyster, and that alone would mean my team could contribute more even with a different Pokemon.

BRING IN CARRACOSTA FOR NEXT RESEARCH WEEK, PLEASE~

Infernape @ Focus Sash
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Overheat
- Close Combat

Meloetta @ Assault Vest
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Hyper Voice
- Shadow Ball
- U-turn

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Encore
- Leech Seed
- Stun Spore
- Moonblast

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 12 Def / 248 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Volt Switch
- Gyro Ball

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Discharge
- Volt Switch
- Dragon Pulse
- Heal Bell

Cloyster @ Focus Sash
Ability: Skill Link
Jolly Nature
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Ice Shard

Replays are found within this post =)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)