Research Week - Mew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey guys, how about instead of complaining about Ubers forum activity, you actually start testing some Mew sets! BTW, I am going to be testing Block Pass Mew this week, along with a Taunt SD Mew Jumpman16 suggested.

Could using Me First instead of Nasty Plot/Swords Dance be a worthwhile option on Baton Pass Mew? Hitting over 500 speed it´ll surely get a jump to a large number of threaths.
Even with Mew´s rather medicore offences a boosted hit (equal to a STAB bonus) could surprise some frailer counters. Expecially since most of the Uber tier is weak to same types: ghost, dark, dragon and ice.

Here's something I've been trying out.

Mew @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
220 SPE, 216 DEF, 74 SPA
Taunt
Super Fang
Brine
Roost
Taunt means slower Pokemon can't set up. Super Fang the (probable) switch-in. Then if they don't switch, Brine. Otherwise, Roost or Super Fang. I followed a set speed from the analysis. The DEF EV's can be shifted to SPD if needed. I decided on 216 DEF because Mew can survive a Payback from Base 130 ATK with maybe 45% remaining. The remainder went into SPA which helps in securing KOs with Brine (double damage for 1/2 HP opponents). Initially I had Nasty Plot but I saw little point in using it, so Taunt was the next best option. Although Hypnosis can work too.

This set really appreciates SR and/or TS support. Forretress would make a great partner to this set. Deoxys-S could help too with a quick SR.

It'd be a travesty if I didn't post in this thread, so even though I haven't had the time to test all these Mew sets being discussed, I thought I might offer my opinion on what is being researched and propose a set or two as well. Here's my list of every Mew set that has been discussed thus far, with my comments on how viable I think each one is:

Baton Pass - Known. Thumbs Up
Lead - Known. Thumbs Up
Transform - Known, I can't personally attest to its effectiveness but I can see it being viable and it's already on-site. Thumbs Up
Double Status - Known, again I can see it being viable even though I wouldn't really ever use it. Thumbs Up
Anti-Lead - Honestly I don't see what this set does that my Lead set doesn't do. If you want a Psychic-type anti-lead use Deoxys-A instead. Thumbs Down
Swords Dance - Several people have posted different versions of this set, but IMO the best is this: Swords Dance/Low Kick/Sucker Punch/Explosion @ Life Orb Thumbs Up
Support - Mew just doesn't have the bulk to pull this off like Blissey and friends. It has better things it should be doing. Thumbs Down
Block - You would have to build the whole team around this concept, but it's unique and I can certainly see it working effectively. I would like to see more discussion of this set and a pseudo-Baton Pass team that could be centered around it. Thumbs Up
Nasty Plot - Again, there have been several ideas tossed around, but I think that the best option is this: Nasty Plot/Aura Sphere/Ice Beam/Thunder @ Lum Berry. EDIT: After further thought I don't think this set lures and weakens/KOs CM Mewtwo switchins as well as some of the other sets (like Choice Band or Swords Dance), so I'm changing my opinion to Thumbs Down
Super Fang - on a defensive sandstorm/hail team, I think this set could be devastating if used well. Tyranitar especially would do wonders for this set because it can take out the hated Giratina. Thumbs Up
Mixed Attacker
- I would always use Deoxys-A or Mewtwo instead of this. Thumbs Down
Physically/Specially Defensive aka "Nibbler" - Sorry Jibaku but I just think Mewtwo does the stalling thing better. I'd rather use the Super Fang or Double Status sets over this. Thumbs Down
Bulk Up
- Again, Mewtwo does this better. Thumbs Down

Now I have two sets of my own to put forth for discussion:

1. CBMew
Item: Choice Band
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Spe/252 Atk/6 HP (Not sure if there is a better option, I may run some calcs to see if I can sacrifice some Atk in favor of HP to capitalize on Mew's bulk)
Moves: Explosion, Ice Punch, Low Kick, U-turn

This set is pretty straightforward. U-turn and Explosion are GREAT moves to have on a Choice Bander, and Low Kick + Ice Punch has amazing coverage in Ubers. If people want calcs to show CBMew's effectiveness, I can work out the best EV spread to use and post them here.

2. Trick Room Lead
Item: Lum Berry
Nature: TBD (probably Brave or Quiet)
EVs: TBD (A mix of power and bulk)
IVs: TBD (depends on the nature, obviously you want as little Spe as possible)
Moves: Explosion, Flamethrower/Overheat, Trick Room, U-turn

I have used this set before as a lead for a Trick Room team and it performed excellently. (It isn't very good outside of the lead spot.) Against most leads you just Trick Room and then U-turn or Explode. Against Deoxys-S, instead of the Taunt/U-turn mindgame you play with the normal Lead set, your choice is between Trick Room and U-turn. The fire move roasts Forretress who is a massive pain for Trick Room teams to face. I haven't decided yet whether Flamethrower or Overheat is the better option - Overheat OHKOs all Forretress without any SpAtk investment but misses 10% of the time and drops your SpAtk 2 stages, whereas you need 184 EVs and a Quiet nature for Flamethrower to always OHKO Forretress.

EDIT: Has anyone tried using a defense-boost passing Mew (something like Me First/Iron Defense/Amnesia/Baton Pass) on a dedicated Baton Pass team that can use other Pok émon to pass speed and offensive boosts? It's worth a test at least.

Any feedback, positive or negative, would be great - this is a research & discussion thread, after all. I tried to be as objective as possible in analyzing each set, but obviously there will be people who disagree with me. Also if I missed a set please let me know.

It's very hard to followup that post, but I'll try:

mew @ choice scarf
EVs: 252 HP, 6 def, 252 speed
nature: jolly
Explosion
Trick
Will-o-wisp
Thunderwave

I think that I should say that I began to use this set in order to stop stat-up sweepers that my current team has major problems with. Trick ruins any sleep talking stat upper while mew's explosion is faster than all non- speed boosting pokemon. Will-o-wisp ruins any physical sweeper while thunderwave ruins any sweeper. I have been thinking about running super fang to put sweepers in the KO range of other pokemon.

Note: this set is meant to stop pokemon after they have accumulated boosts, not to stop them from boosting.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Mew @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
220 SPE, 216 DEF, 74 SPA
Taunt
Super Fang
Brine
Roost
I don't quite like Brine here. Water in general is a horrible offensive type in Ubers, with a whole bunch of Dragons resisting it. Furthermore, from 236 Special Attack, unSTABed, and the possibility of sunlight, Brine does pathetically weak damage even with the double power. I'd much rather have something like U-turn so you can dent stuff and switch out while denting them slightly further.

@Deep Thought: The set wasn't meant to stall - it was meant to leave dents everywhere with Super Fang and use stall as a secondary method of crippling things further.

It's very hard to followup that post, but I'll try:

mew @ choice scarf
EVs: 252 HP, 6 def, 252 speed
nature: jolly
Explosion
Trick
Will-o-wisp
Thunderwave

I think that I should say that I began to use this set in order to stop stat-up sweepers that my current team has major problems with. Trick ruins any sleep talking stat upper while mew's explosion is faster than all non- speed boosting pokemon. Will-o-wisp ruins any physical sweeper while thunderwave ruins any sweeper. I have been thinking about running super fang to put sweepers in the KO range of other pokemon.

Note: this set is meant to stop pokemon after they have accumulated boosts, not to stop them from boosting.
The only common sleep talking stat uppers are dialga and kyogre.

Hugendugen

Noam Chompsky.
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
This round of research week will end at Sunday, June 27th.
Maybe if we renamed it research month or research fortnight considering it last for far longer than seven days. Anyway, this post also just serves as a bump, because the thread seems to have some to a standstill and I would love to see what other creative Mew sets we can come up with :D

bojangles

IF YOU TRULY BELIEVE,
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
This one is long over. Next one should be up imminently (please get more involved guys!).

Please take any further discussion on Mew to the Mew Discussion thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)