Approved Rating systems article

Status
Not open for further replies.

scalarmotion

sit, fetch, micro
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Basically this is meant as an extension to the GXE/COIL article idea (since Antar's article covers most of that) which introduces the rating systems used by PS! with a look at the old Glicko system and why we switched over to Elo.
  1. Why is a rating system necessary?
    1. Estimation of player skill level
    2. Facilitates Skill-based Matchmaking
    3. Metagame progression
  2. Elo, our current rating system
    1. One of the most common rating systems in multiplayer games
    2. Simple and easy to calculate
    3. Rating changes by a fixed amount based only on the rating of the player and their opponent
  3. Glicko, our previous rating system
    1. Also considers the uncertainty of a rating
    2. Rating Estimates (ACRE, GXE)
      1. Used to interpret Glicko ratings by incorporating the uncertainty of a rating into the rating itself
  4. Why we switched to Elo
    1. (I can't actually remember the details or find the announcement but I'll figure out something)
  5. "Mystery Ratings" - COIL and ARMS
    1. Alternative forms of rating meant to recognise achievement
    2. Based on GXE and number of games played
    3. Mainly used for suspect testing
  6. How these rating systems affect you as a user/player
    1. Rating system affects how one tries to climb the ladder
      1. ACRE: Players just create new alts and try to win until their rating stagnates
      2. Elo with decay: Players have to maintain consistent performance over time
    2. Suspect testing
      1. Elo: Achieve reqs by playing over a long time
      2. COIL: Depending on how high one's GXE is, one only has to play a certain number of games to achieve reqs

Last edited:
I've been looking for someone to write about this stuff for ages, I'm definitely cool with this.

antemortem

THE ORIGINAL DAVE
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
I'd like one of Antar / Zarel / TI(?) to look over this once it's done, but this is approved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)