Rate My Team: Sandstorm/TR Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I don't know how to format here, so bear with me.

I made this team before Stakataka came out, and I tried it with Stakataka for a bit, but I ended up with too many shared weaknesses. Feel free to tell me who to replace, just know that I won't replace Gigalith and Vikavolt without really good reasons because they're two of my favorites.

~

Garchomp-Mega @ Garchompite
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Outrage
- Swords Dance

When I put this team through some trial and error, I realized I needed some fast mon to help in case I can't get TR off, and Garchomp has done a good job so far. In my experience, it's done well vs other Dragon types and Fairy types, but I'm honestly not sure I need that. Pretty willing to replace, but it has done its job well in the past for me. I like sending it out turn 1 with Gigalith to try and k.o. the enemy so I can safely switch in a TR setter.

Gigalith @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
- Earthquake
- Protect
- Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock

One of my favorite pokemon, and it's gotten even better for me with Sand Stream. Lum Berry is because I tend to see people try to toxic, sleep, or confuse it so it can't get its set-up. Does massive damage with Rock Slide in Sand, but I haven't done proper damage calculations to see how it fares. EQ is good for Steel types that threaten it (especially with TR set), Protect lets it turn 2 protect so Garchomp can EQ safely, and Stealth Rock is just too good for me to pass up, so I use those turn 1. Not very willing to replace.

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind

Pretty beefy wall, EQ is a good stab (but I have to many EQs, may need to replace it on someone if I keep the team as is), Ice Fang helps with Flying types and Grass types, Slack Off lets it heal back up so I can keep sand going, and Whirlwind lets me ruin buffs and cycle Stealth Rock damage. Willing to change, but I'd prefer not to as I'd rather have 2 sand setters.

Oranguru @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Telepathy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Energy Ball
- Instruct
- Psychic
- Trick Room

Does surprising amounts of work. Not sure about the EVs, but the Goggles let it stay in sand safely and Telepathy helps with friendly EQs. Instruct and TR are the core of the set, with Instruct letting Gigalith and Vikavolt do massive amounts of damage in 1 turn. Psychic and Energy Ball are just for coverage and in Psychic's case, a good stab. Would like it to stay around, but will change if needed. Issues I see with it currently are that it doesn't live as long as I need it to a lot of times AND that it doesn't do enough damage with it's attacks.

Reuniclus @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Focus Blast
- Psychic
- Recover
- Trick Room

The one I'm most willing to replace, but still does its job. Sets TR, doesn't get hurt by sand, can't be statused because of Toxic Orb, etc. Focus Blast and Psychic are for coverage and a stab, and Recover is to help it keep on going. Don't know whether to keep it or switch it out, and if I do keep it, I've heard good things about Grassinium-Z on it.

Vikavolt @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Air Slash
- Bug Buzz
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

Fantastic special attacker, especially in TR. Specs boost its damage to even higher amounts, and its moves are just for coverage (and dual stabs). I seem to get the most use out of Air Slash and Thunderbolt. Not very willing to switch out.

~

Problems with the team as a whole: Too many EQs, low overall special attack, and too many same-type moves and mons overall.

What it does well: Deals with Flying, Rock, and Water types pretty well. Instruct makes Gigalith and Vikavolt do some serious damage in one turn. TR gets me in to fantastic situations, especially when someone Tailwinds first turn not noticing what I'm going to do.

GenOne

DOU main. GMT-7. PS!: GenOne
is a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
First off, welcome to Doubles OU, demonlordraiden!

I'll give some quick feedback around your team, but one thing you should note moving forward is that there's actually an entire forum thread dedicated to posting teams for peer review: http://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/sm-other-teams.410/

You're more likely to get feedback on your teams if you post them to the link above. (The Doubles OU forum isn't really intended to host threads dedicated to team rating.)

As for your team...

You seem to recognize that Trick Room is a powerful speed control tactic in doubles, and you've built a team that utilizes multiple Trick Room setters in tandem with some slow, strong sweepers that thrive well in Trick Room -- this is a good start.

However, most of the Pokemon you are using are suboptimal for this metagame, and the movesets you're using don't quite capture what works best in a typical Doubles match.

A good starting point for you might be to look over the Trick Room teams that are listed in this thread: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/doubles-ou-teambuilding-frameworks.3619759/

If you've looked those over but want to be a bit more creative / different, feel free to make your own team with Pokemon you feel comfortable with, but please consider sticking to Pokemon that are listed on the DOU Viability Rankings, as these are the Pokemon that bring proven results in this metagame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)