ORAS OU Rate my Team (Kinda Novice)

Hi everyone, I've been playing ORAS OU for a while with this team, and I've gotten to the bottom of the leaderboard in the mid 1500's a couple of times, but I usually stall out and drop pretty fast when I get there. I just got a Smogon account and wanted some help/advice on how to make this team better. At first glance, it looks like there are a lot of glaring flaws with the team, but I will try to go over them. You'll find that I just try to use staraptor to patch like the 3 main flaws I have. A lot of the pokemon on this team I find to be really underrated-I made the nucleus of this team when i really didnt know anything about competitive battling and have kind of just made smalll changes along the way.

upload_2017-4-16_13-33-8.png

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Toxic
- Protect
- Moonlight
- Foul Play

Umbreon is here mainly to deal with bulky physical attackers that wreak havoc on the rest of my team (ie bisharp or other swords dance users). Foul play usually OHKOes a +2 physical attacker no matter who it is. Umbreon can switch into 99% of attacks and survive with enough to take another and then just stall the attacker out. I go max SpDef and max Def because Umbreon can now take both types of attacks and come back and just wait out a toxic death.

Staraptor @ Sky Plate
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Quick Attack
- Close Combat
- Brave Bird
- Roost

STAB, Reckless, Sky Plate Brave Bird hits nearly 260 BP and is at least neutral on most of the metagame. Staraptor is mainly a wallbreaker on this team and functions to 1 or 2 hit KO most of the bulkier things that the rest of the team can't handle. (Ferrothorn especially, takes >50% from a brave bird and I think even more from a close combat). Close combat ohkos non chople tyranitar and bisharp. Fairies also plague this team, and most fairies that I struggle with (ie Mega Gardevoir) get OHKOed by a brave bird. If raptor loses the speed tie, it can take one moonblast from a timid mega gardevoir and then come back and kill it. Things like swampert or mega swampert get 1 or 2 hit KOed by brave bird. Quick attack for killing faster pokemon that switched into brave bird. Staraptor>talonflame on this team because talonflame lacks the raw power to 1 or 2 hit KO most of what i need staraptor for.

Azumarill @ Splash Plate
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
IVs: 30 HP
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Knock Off

Azumarill is super powerful and has great coverage. Knock off does great work on a lot of things that resist or take neutral damage from Azumarill's STAB combo. The more powerful psychic types (ie Mega Alakazam) take about 90-100% from a knock off even without an item. Play rough OHKOes most dragons, aqua jet cleans up a lot of bulkier sweepers that have been whittled down by staraptor or azumarill. Azumarill struggles with pokemon like Rotom-W and Ferrothorn, both of whom are pretty strong against this team. I usually take Azumarill out against a Rotom-W and get a free switch into Jolteon, whose T-bolt does about 50% on Rotom-W.

Latias @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Recover
- Defog
- Psyshock
- Dragon Pulse

Latias is the de facto defogger on this team. Most hazards that are set up do little to latias, so defogging becomes pretty easy. Max speed is necessary to tie pokemon like Gengar or others in the 110 tier. Mega Latias's obscene (uninvested) SpDef makes it really easy to switch into special attacks and defog. The dragon type also creates resistances to a lot of key moves that the rest of the team struggles with (hydro pump, other elemental moves). Psyshock and dragon pulse ensures that Latias can take chunks out of both physical and special walls, and recover makes it easy to switch into moves. I think Latias, along with every pokemon on this team except for skarmory fit a really good niche that make them super underrated.

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
IVs: 30 HP
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Brave Bird

Firstly, whirlwind+sturdy makes it possible for skarmory to survive literally any +4 or boosted attack and get rid of said stat boost. This is really helpful, as this team struggles with pokemon that get spatk or spdef boosts (ie Serperior if raptor is dead). Stealth rock is a necessary and makes it very easy to deal with things like dragonite. Brave bird actually does a lot of damage to serperior, uninvested Lando T (about a third) and other pokemon that dont have more than one natural check on the team. 252 HP and nearly max def allows skarmory to still be a physical tank while not being COMPLETELY susceptible to special attacks. 24 speed allows whirlwind to outspeed slower defensive pokemon.

Jolteon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt
- Signal Beam
- Shadow Ball

Lastly, Jolteon. Jolteon has phenomenal stats for a special sweeper, but it really does have a terrible movepool. Either way, max speed allows it to outspeed nearly the entire metagame except for certain mega evolutions that I dont see too often (aerodactly-m, beedrill-m). This, plus a naturally high spAtk+Specs makes it really hard to outspeed/take an attack from Jolteon. Jolteon's role on this team is to counter electric types, which do way too much work on raptor, skarmory, and azumarill. Its pretty easy to see a thunderbolt or volt switch coming and get a clean switch into Jolteon+get some HP back if rocks are still on. HP Ice helps against things like gliscor or garchomp if azumarill is dead by this point. Shadow ball is really good against things like scarfed chandelure (who is still outsped by jolteon) and gengar. Signal beam is really only used occasionally against dark types but the low BP and lack of stab makes it mostly useless. The lack of a movepool shows pretty heavy there, and I desperately needed an option for a fire type move for coverage but oh well.

So that is this team-its pretty odd and uses a lot of pokemon that I don't see very often. However, each pokemon does what it needs to do really well, (especially staraptor, one of the most powerful pokemon ive used). Flaws include-lack of a SINGLE FIRE TYPE MOVE, lack of a real check to fairies besides raptor's brave bird, and lack of a grass type move to deal with things like quagsire, who (if I encounter, which is rare) just has to be stalled out by umbreon. If anybody could lend a hand in finding a way to get a fire type move onto this team or more ice coverage/checks to fairies/grass type moves, that would be greatly appreciated. I know this team is kinda odd and there are probably better options, so please let me know. Thanks everyone!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)