Monotype Rate my Fairy-type team!

Hello everyone, Metagross Metagame here, some of you might know me, most of you might not, but does that even matter anyway? Anyhoo, here's a Fairy team that I recently built. It's worked out pretty well for me, and I've won most of my matches with it, but then there are also those matches where I've lost. First, let's have a look at the teambuilding process.

It all started with Tapu Bulu, which is one my most favorite Pokémon from Alola. Tapu Bulu is a very solid wallbreaker capable of destroying certain teams with ease once certain threats are removed. Grassy Terrain recovery is also very useful to any team in general.

Next, I went with Magearna. Magearna and Tapu Bulu cover each other's weaknesses pretty well, just leaving out a common weakness to Fire. Magearna's Steel typing is crucial for the team, providing a much-needed immunity to Poison-types while also being able to sponge Steel-type attacks. Tapu Bulu's Grassy Terrain also weakens the damage dealt by Earthquake, which is appreciated by Magearna.

Next, I added Tapu Koko, which, thanks to Electric Terrain, can severely dent many Pokémon with its incredibly strong Thunderbolt. Once Landorus is removed, it becomes a serious threat to any flying-type team, thanks to its very high Speed stat.

The next choice was Azumarill. It takes out the Fire-types that threaten Tapu Bulu and Magearna, while also getting to set-up with ease against certain Pokémon that it threatens.

I then realised that my team needed something apart from Magearna to take on Poison-types, and that is when I decided to go with Gardevoir. It's Mega has a pretty high speed, allowing it revenge kill Poison types that threaten my team such as Nidoking. Healing Wish support also gives weakened Pokémon more oppurtunities late-game.

The final Pokémon in my team was Clefable. It can do so much- setup rocks, switch-in to status moves such as Toxic and Will-O-Wisp while dishing out decent damage with Moonblast and Flamethrower.

Redbull = Wings (Tapu Bulu) @
(This is Choice Band,in case you are noob)
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: Attack:- 252 | Defense:- 4 | Speed:- 252
Jolly Nature

Moves
Wood Hammer
Stone Edge
Superpower
Horn Leech

Tapu Bulu, equipped with a Choice Band, and bolstered by Grassy Terrain, hits stupidly hard with Wood Hammer. Anything that doesn't resist it is probably 2HKOed, if not outright OHKOed. Stone Edge dents the Flying-types that dare to switch into Wood Hammer, and Superpower allows Bulu to take out Steel-types that resist the other moves, such as Heatran and Ferrothorn. Lastly, Horn Leech hits fairly hard and restores some health for Tapu Bulu. Also, it doesn't cause recoil damage unlike Wood Hammer.

Iron PokéHeart (Magearna) @
(This is Fairium Z,in case you are noob)
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: | Special Attack:- 252 | Special Defense:- 4 | Speed:- 252
Timid Nature
Moves

Shift Gear
Flash Cannon

Fleur Cannon
Focus Blast

Magearna fulfills the role of checking Poison-types and weakening teams perfectly. Shift Gear fixes one of Magearna's flaws- its low Speed and is the first step in sweeping teams. Flash Cannon is a good STAB attack, hitting Poison-types that resist Magearna's other moves while also dealing good damage. Fleur Cannon is necessary, as it gives Magearna a 195 BP Twinkle Tackle that allows it to destroy bulkier foes. Fleur Cannon as individual attack is also nothing to scoff at. Focus Blast is coverage, taking out Steel-types that would otherwise wall this set. Lastly, Special Defense > Defense so that Download gives an Attack boost to Porygon.

Kokonut is Healthy (Tapu Koko) @
(This is Life Orb,in case you are noob)

Ability:- Electric Surge
EVs: Special Attack:- 252 | Special Defense:- 4 | Speed:- 252
Timid Nature

Moves
Thunderbolt
Hidden Power Ice

Dazzling Gleam
Volt Switch
Tapu Koko brings another terrain to the team with its ability Electric Surge. Apart from preventing sleep for 5 turns, it also boosts the power of Tapu Koko's Thunderbolt from 176 to 264, which means Thunderbolt hits hard despite its not-so-good Special Attack stat. Hidden Power Ice catches Landorus that switches in expecting a Thunderbolt, and Volt Switch allows Koko to gain momentum. Dazzling Gleam is an alternate STAB option.

Dumb Bunny (Azumarill) @
(This is Sitrus Berry, in case you are noob)
Ability:- Huge Power
EVs: HP:- 248 | Attack:- 252 | Speed:- 8
Adamant Nature

Moves

Belly Drum
Aqua Jet
Play Rough
Superpower

First off, I'm not too sure about the EVs, whether the bulk is worth it or not. Need some help here. But otherwise, this is a standard Belly Drum set. Switch in on something it forces out, Belly Drum and that's basically it. Aqua Jet over Waterfall because it provides priority and Azumarill hits stupidly hard at 4x attack anyway. Play Rough is there as the alternative, hard-hitting STAB. Superpower takes out certain Pokémon that wall Azumarill's STAB, such as Ferrothorn and Empoleon. Huge Power is mandatory, as Azumarill otherwise becomes very weak.

Mega Waifu (Gardevoir) @
(This is Gardevoirite,in case you are a noob)
Ability: Trace => Pixilate
EVs: Special Attack:- 252 | Special Defense:- 4 | Speed:- 252
Timid Nature

Moves
Psyshock
Hyper Voice
Focus Blast
Healing Wish

Gardevoir brings with it the Psychic-type, which helps a lot in my match-up against Poison-types. The EVs ensure Gardevoir gets the maximum Power and Speed. Psyshock>Psychic in order to hit Chansey, which otherwise laughs at this set. Hyper Voice gains a 1.2x boost from Pixilate, and also hits Pokémon behind substitutes, that's cool, right? Focus Blast is nigh mandatory to take out the Steel-types that would otherwise wall this set. Healing Wish is to be used late game, when Gardevoir can't do much more and there is a weak ally that could do with some recovery.

Clefable's Fables (Clefable) @
(This is Babiri Berry,in case you are noob)
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 248 HP | 252 Defense | 8 Special Attack
Bold Nature
Moves

Stealth Rock
Soft-Boiled
Moonblast
Flamethrower

Clefable is the last Pokémon in the team, and it has an amazing ability in Magic Guard, which means Spikes, Stealth Rocks, Poison and Burn don't harm it. Also, Stealth Rock is always good to have in any team, and Clefable can set up Rocks without much hassle, thanks to its pretty good bulk. Soft-Boiled recovers 50% health and is just too good to pass. Moonblast is the STAB attack, hitting everything that takes neutral or Super-Effective damage from it pretty hard. Babiri Berry allows it to take on Scizor, and Flamethrower makes it possible to do so, while also hitting most other Steel-types for good damage, especially Ferrothorn.

I haven't done a whole lot of battles with this team, but here are a few battles with this team, to give you an idea.

vs Steel:- http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-604073144

vs Ghost:- http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-604077798
vs Grass:- http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-604072078
vs Normal:- http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-604069600
vs Poison:- http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-604062648
vs Rock:- http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-604050748
vs Grass:- http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-604067177
vs Fighting:- http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-604156801

Thanks for taking your time to read this lenghty post! (or was it? Anyway, I spent around 3 1⁄2 hours making this, so yeah, this thing took a while.) Feedback and suggestions regarding the team would be very much appreciated! Also, here's the team in case you wanna try it out.
Have a good day!

RedBull = Wings (Tapu Bulu) @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Superpower
- Horn Leech
- Stone Edge

Kokonut is Healthy (Tapu Koko) @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Dazzling Gleam
- Volt Switch

Iron PokéHeart (Magearna) @ Fairium Z
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shift Gear
- Flash Cannon
- Fleur Cannon
- Focus Blast

Dumb Bunny (Azumarill) (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Superpower

Mega Waifu (Gardevoir-Mega) (F) @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Hyper Voice
- Focus Blast
- Healing Wish

Clefable's Fables (Clefable) (F) @ Babiri Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower

Last edited:
Hey! This Fairy team looks pretty cool, but I have a few suggestions:

Have U-turn on Tapu Koko: This can grant your team a nice form of momentum in the Ground matchup, where you'd be unable to Volt Switch. You could potentially replace Dazzling Gleam or Volt Switch to make room for this.

Replace Mega Gardevoir with Klefki: Klefki is undoubtedly the best support Pokemon for Fairy teams, and is extremely important for laying hazards with Spikes and setting up screens to give Azumarill and Magearna easier setup opportunities. It can also deal with setup sweepers like Mega Scizor and Mega Pinsir with Foul Play or cripple things with Thunder Wave. For a set, try this:

Klefki @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave / Foul Play

Removing Mega Gardevoir will make your team a lot more vulnerable to Mega Venusaur, which is why for the next suggestion:

Run Steelium Z over Fairium Z on Magearna: The Steelium Z can grant you a powerful nuke against Mega Venusaur to make up for not having Mega Gardevoir. This is far more important than the Fairium Z, since Fairy teams don't really need a Fairy nuke. Another suggestion would be having Thunderbolt over Fleur Cannon as a means of hitting Toxapex, which you have very few answers for outside of Tapu Koko, while also hitting Mantine and Mega Charizard Y.

Run max Speed on Azumarill: Maximum investment in Speed can let Azumarill outspeed uninvested Mega Scizor, which can threaten to stop its sweep thanks to Bullet Punch. With Klefki's screens support, Azumarill won't need the investment in bulk all that much. My next suggestion would be having Knock Off over Superpower. Knock Off lets you hit Toxapex, which tends to be a major threat for Azumarill's sweep. A lot of the Steel types that Superpower deals with can also be dealt with by Knock Off, one example being Ferrothorn:

+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 72 Def Ferrothorn: 383-451 (108.8 - 128.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Here's the team after the suggested changes, I hope they helped!
RedBull = Wings (Tapu Bulu) @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Superpower
- Horn Leech
- Stone Edge

Kokonut is Healthy (Tapu Koko) @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Dazzling Gleam / U-turn
- Volt Switch / U-turn

Iron PokéHeart (Magearna) @ Steelium Z
Timid Nature
- Shift Gear
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast

Dumb Bunny (Azumarill) (M) @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Klefki @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave / Foul Play

Clefable's Fables (Clefable) (F) @ Babiri Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower

Hey smub, thanks for your suggestions! I will definitely try them out in my spare time. I never really thought of using Klefki, and I don't know why, but it seems like it'll fit into my team perfectly. As you stated, Spikes and Screens support is a boon for Azumarill and Magearna, so I'll test it out soon!

Vid

Our life is what our thoughts make it
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hello, I really like the idea of Z move Magearna on Fairy especially along with a bunch of hard hitters (Tapu Koko, Tapu Bulu, +6 Azumarill etc.). The general team structure is really nice and the rate above fixed most of the issues with the team, but there are still a couple minor issues that the rate above made or did not catch.
Rate
The current EV spread of EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe is a sub optimal spread because it doesn't guarantee Sitrus Berry (Odd number of HP (341 instead of 342) leaves Azumarill at 51% instead of 50% after Belly Drum) when using Belly Drum (at full health). EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe > EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe this allows a full HP Azumarill to always get Sitrus Berry recovery.
Proposed Change(s):EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe > EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Flamethrower Clefable is unable to always KO Mega Scizor, which is only reason to use Babiri Berry Clefable over Leftovers. Fire Blast > Flamethrower with Fire Blast Clefable can always KO offensive Mega Scizor compared to 31% chance to KO with Flamethrower. This change is worth it because being able to OHKO Mega Scizor is an amazing luxury to have on a Fairy team like this one that relies on it being eliminated to properly sweep with Azumarill or Magearna.. EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA > EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA. For optimization purposes the current EV spread with 248 HP really serves not purpose because Magic Guard allows Clefable to avoid all indirect damage (hazards don't effect it).
Proposed Change(s): Fire Blast > Flamethrower / EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA > EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
- 4 SpA Clefable Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Scizor-Mega: 304-360 (108.1 - 128.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
- 4 SpA Clefable Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Scizor-Mega: 248-296 (88.2 - 105.3%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
Good Luck!
Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Clefable @ Babiri Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled
- Moonblast
- Fire Blast

Hey Vid, thanks for fixing those small errors in my team! You're right about the HP EVs for Clefable and Azumarill, never thought about it, thanks for letting me know! Also, thanks for those calcs, I'll def try out Fire Blast on Clefable!

Aaaaand, now Magearna is banned.
As a Fairy enthusiast, I'm absolutely devastated, as I'm sure you are too. TT~TT That being said, we need to make a few changes.

I used to use Klefki pretty often to spam its Prankster-ness, but now that Magearna's gone, it's going to be ESSENTIAL on fairy teams thanks to its poison immunity. I see someone has already suggested it and I'm a big fan of the set they've suggested (I personally found Thunder Wave more useful if it helps any).

I think you should consider Wish over Soft-Boiled on Clefable, because being able to heal weakened allies is a really great asset. Also, while Stealth Rocks is a great thing, do you think you might be able to use Heal Bell to a greater advantage? Burns are a nasty thing to deal with and Paralyz can be pretty crippling, so it's worth considering.

If you need a mon-replacement, have you considered Togekiss? Nothing makes me happier than good old Serene-Slash. I used to have mine Choice Scarfed to ensure that everything would be outsped and used it as my lead, flinching my way through everything. She can also carry Fire Blast to help prevent Ferrothorn from getting anything done.
The Scarf has its limitations, though, so it might be best to just maximize its speed and give it Thunderwave/Wish/Heal Bell so it can play both FlinchMaster and Support.

Just some suggestions. ;) Hopefully your team is able to recover from this tragic banning.

Aaaaand, now Magearna is banned.
As a Fairy enthusiast, I'm absolutely devastated, as I'm sure you are too. TT~TT That being said, we need to make a few changes.

I used to use Klefki pretty often to spam its Prankster-ness, but now that Magearna's gone, it's going to be ESSENTIAL on fairy teams thanks to its poison immunity. I see someone has already suggested it and I'm a big fan of the set they've suggested (I personally found Thunder Wave more useful if it helps any).

I think you should consider Wish over Soft-Boiled on Clefable, because being able to heal weakened allies is a really great asset. Also, while Stealth Rocks is a great thing, do you think you might be able to use Heal Bell to a greater advantage? Burns are a nasty thing to deal with and Paralyz can be pretty crippling, so it's worth considering.

If you need a mon-replacement, have you considered Togekiss? Nothing makes me happier than good old Serene-Slash. I used to have mine Choice Scarfed to ensure that everything would be outsped and used it as my lead, flinching my way through everything. She can also carry Fire Blast to help prevent Ferrothorn from getting anything done.
The Scarf has its limitations, though, so it might be best to just maximize its speed and give it Thunderwave/Wish/Heal Bell so it can play both FlinchMaster and Support.

Just some suggestions. ;) Hopefully your team is able to recover from this tragic banning.
I have to inform you that Magearna hasn't been banned yet. It's being suspected until Friday August 11 at 11:59 PM EDT (GMT-4), and after that the players who have got the reqs will have 3 days to vote ban or no ban. So there's no need to change anything to replace Magearna yet http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/sm-monotype-suspect-2-magearna.3610469/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)