Monotype Rate My Fairy Monotype

First off, I would like to apologize because I did not even know there were rules to follow. Here's the update

Azumarill
-Play Rough
-Belly Drum
-Knock-off
-Aqua Jet
Item: Normalium Z
Ability- Huge Power
EV- Max Atk and HP 4 SpA
Nature: Adamant

I chose Azumarill because I heavily needed a water type, in order to counter a common weakness throughout my team which is ground. It is also my only fire resist, which is also a threat to my team, especially Klefki and Ninetails. With a Z-Belly Drum setup, this pokemon is used as my physical-tank set up Pokemon. With the addition of Aqua Jet, he usually one-hit KO's most enemies. Along with Superpower and Play Rough, I can hit harder, so long as I either move first or survive. Also with Knock-off, I can not only remove important items from my enemies, I can OHKO mons such as Toxapex.

Tapu Bulu
-Megahorn
-Horn Leech
-Wood Hammer
-Super Power
Item: Choice Scarf
Ability: Grassy Surge
EV: Max Spe and Atk 4 SpD
Nature: Jolly

I chose Tapu Bulu to be my physical attacking sweeper. It is my grass type pokemon on the team, allowing me to have yet another counter to the common weakness of ground on my team. With a wide variety of types in my move set, I can find one to be super effective against usually any mon I go up against. It is also a nice counter to any steel type with Super Power.

Tapu Koko
-U-Turn
-Taunt
-Thunderbolt
-Hidden Power Ice
Item: Magnet
Ability: Electric Surge
EV: Max SpA and Spe 4 SpD
Nature: Timid

I chose Tapu Koko because I needed an electric type to counter flying and water types alike, both of which are quite common in the monotype category. With Taunt, I can counter pokemon that are known to either be set up pokemon or those who set up screens. With the addition of U-Turn, I can also take a quick escape into a pokemon that would be a better matchup against my enemies pokemon while also doing damage. He is used as my finisher pokemon being able to finish off a pokemon quickly then switch into one of my heavier hitters.

Klefki
-Thunder Wave
-Light Screen
-Reflect
-Spikes
Item: Light Clay
Ability: Pranskter
EV: Max Hp and Def 4 SpD
Nature: Bold

I chose Klefki to be my ¨Anchor Pokemon¨ or Mon that I usually lead with or secondary lead with, as it allows me to set up duo screens for my sweepers such as my Tapu´s and Azu, while also setting up spikes to punish my enemy for switching pokemon or slowing down some fast threats, such as a scarf Nihilego. Because of the large bonus to both defenses he grants my team, I can effectively focusing on output of damage instead of input.

Diancie
-Diamond Storm
-HP Fire
-Psychic
-Stealth Rock
Item- Diancite
Ability- Clear Body
EV: Max SpA and Spe, 4 Hp
Nature: Naive

I chose Diancie to be my Stealth Rock setup pokemon, as well as a potential sweeper if the enemies typing is right. With Diamond Storm along with Stealth Rock, I can dominate against any fire types. Along with HP Fire in my moveset, I can effectively counter most steel types if I was forced to use her. With Psychic, I can deal massive damage to poison types while additionally OHKO´ing Toxapex. With both max EV´s and a Naive nature, I shouldn´t have to worry too much about being outsped either.

Mimikyu
-Shadow Sneak
-Shadow Claw
-Swords Dance
-Play Rough
Ability: Disguise
Item: Life Orb
EV: Max Atk and Spe, 4 SpD

I chose Mimikyu to be my anchor pokemon, which is the pokemon I usually lead with into battle. The Swords Dance Disguise combo allows me to take a free turn to set up, allowing me to hit very heavily against my enemies. I can use Play Rough or Shadow Claw if my enemy is slower or not a heavy hitter, or I could use Shadow Sneak to simply get in a quick hit. Life Orb also allows me to hit even harder.

First time being seriously competitive! Be cool!

Also I name my badge the Dream Badge :)

Last edited:

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Welcome to Smogon! I'm locking your RMT for the time being as the forum rules require that you provide in-depth descriptions for each Pokemon to explain their roles. Please read the rules carefully and take a look at Team Showcase to see the level of detail we require. PM me with updated descriptions and I'll be happy to unlock this.

Edit: Reopened

Last edited:
Klefki
-Dazzling Gleam
-Switcheroo
-Toxic
-Protect
Item: Toxic Orb
Ability: Pranskter
EV: Max Hp and Def 4 SpD
Nature: Bold

I chose Klefki to be my cheeky build pokemon, designed to harrass and weaken my enemies pokemon. With trickster, I can replace my toxic orb with my opponents item, removing the benefits of their item and putting toxic poison on them. Prankster also works with toxic, another very useful move. His protect can be used to buy team to further toxic's power and weaken the heavy hitting opponents. His main use is to toxic poison the pokemon that are most scary to my team, such as Aggron or any poison types in general.
First of all, This set is.... NOT very good at all.... The fact that you say it's meant to toxic poison the team's biggest threats, such as aggron or poison types just wants to make me facepalm. You can't have a slot used for something that the pokemon can't even do in the first place! (ALL STEEL AND POISON TYPES ARE IMMUNE TO POISON/TOXIC, UNLESS YOUR ABILITY IS CORROSION.... Which klefki does not have). It would be much better to use this pokemon as a hazard+screen setter, as this combined with prankster can help set up for the rest of your team, most notably bulu, diancie and azu. In doing so, it would also become your new "Anchor pokemon" as you called it, being a very reliable lead except against defoggers/magic bouncers/taunters. Here's the set (also the set I show here is the standard importing format for showdown, so you can just paste this in)

Klefki @ Shuca berry/ light clay
ability: Prankster
EVs: 248HP/128Def/128Spdef
- Play rough/Foul play
- Spikes
- Light Screen
- Reflect

If anyone else can optimize the set/EVs feel free to do so. Hope this helps, as klefki can be so much more useful than how you're using it.

Hi there! I think this is a pretty cool take on offensive Fairy. Keeping Mimikyu to win the Psychic matchup is perfectly fine, and for a similar reason Megahorn on Tapu Bulu to take on Celebi and Mega Latias is okay too. I have a handful of suggestions that I think will definitely help your team out on other fronts.

First, the Klefki set needs to change as others have pointed out. While it may be satisfying to Switcheroo the Toxic Orb onto a Chansey to permanently cripple it in spite of Natural Cure, the set is ultimately a gimmick that doesn't do much for you in the long run. I also suggest a dual screens set like the others. Having dual screens means your Azumarill is even more threatening because now it is almost impossible to OHKO and can successfully use Z-Belly Drum. As an example, if you have Light Screen up, not even a Tapu Koko can't OHKO Azumarill! In addition to this support, Klefki can also bring Thunder Wave to cripple fast Pokemon your team may struggle with such as Choice Scarf Nihilego. Finally, with Spikes, you can punish your opponent for switching out Pokemon, which your entire team is good at forcing. By using this set, Klefki comfortably falls into a support role to enable the rest of your powerful team to beat your opponent.

Because we now have dual screen support for Azumarill, it can now afford to take out the EVs in HP and put it into Speed instead. If Azumarill has 252 Speed EVs, it can outspeed a lot of important targets. As examples, Skarmory cannot Brave Bird it, Mantine cannot Scald burn it, and Porygon2 cannot Thunderbolt it. These are all walls that +6 Aqua Jet cannot OHKO. However, if you could attack with a stronger move, they would be KOed and unable to stop Azumarill. Of course, for this reason, we will need to switch off of the Brave nature, which reduces our Speed, and use Adamant instead, which still boosts our Attack. I also am concerned with dealing with Poison-types that resist both Play Rough and Superpower. I think Knock Off is the best coverage option for you here as a result. This most importantly lets you OHKO Toxapex, but Knock Off is very useful for taking on Steel-types (which you said you were worried about and chose Superpower for) without taking Defense drops, as almost all of them are OHKOed by it. We don't want Defense drops from Superpower because Mega Scizor can OHKO Azumarill with Bullet Punch if you're at -1 Defense.

On Mega Diancie, you have Earth Power to hit Steel-types. However, you'll notice a lot of Steel-types such as Skarmory, Celesteela, Mega Scizor, and Ferrothorn actually don't take much if any damage at all from Earth Power. Hidden Power Fire is much better so that you can hit these threats for super effective damage. While you may be worried about the fact that Heatran is immune to Hidden Power Fire, Diamond Storm is actually able to very frequently 2HKO Heatran, so it isn't much of a threat to you at all in reality.

What I want to focus on next is your Speed issues. The one problem I see recurring throughout your team is your choices for natures. You choose damage-boosting natures (Rash Diancie, Modest Tapu Koko) where Speed-boosting natures would be better. The reason is that, while more damage is always nice to have, a Pokemon's base Speed stat limits how fast it can ever be. This means most Pokemon with at least 100 Speed will want to be +Speed in order to outspeed the other very relevant Pokemon around them. I would suggest taking a look at our Speed Tiers resource, which is a table of the Speed stats a Pokemon can hit.

Your Tapu Koko has 359 Speed right now because it's a base 130 Speed Pokemon. However, if you use a Timid nature, you jump all the way up to 394 Speed. This means you can outspeed Pokemon such as Choice Scarf Magnezone (360 Speed), Dugtrio (372 Speed), and Alakazam (372 Speed). Being able to outspeed many other offensive threats is what makes some of these Pokemon most effective. This is even more important for Mega Diancie, which goes from 319 Speed to 350 Speed if you switch to a Naive nature. This lets Mega Diancie outspeed all of the base 100 Speed Pokemon (the list is way too long but it includes Mega Charizard X/Y, Victini, and Mew), Garchomp (333 Speed), Blacephalon (344 Speed), Terrakion and Keldeo (346 Speed), and Mega Pinsir (339 Speed). For these reasons, I think you should use a Timid nature on Tapu Koko and a Naive nature on Mega Diancie. You lose a small amount of damage, but outspeeding these Pokemon mean you can OHKO them before they OHKO you.

I know this ended up being really long, but the changes were individually all pretty small and the team should still feel like your team, outside of the Klefki set change. In fact, it should feel easier to play, as the screens support will make your entire team much bulkier. I hope this helped and good luck with the team!

Azumarill @ Normalium Z
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Belly Drum
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet

Tapu Koko @ Magnet
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Taunt
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Klefki @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 20 SpD / 80 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 16 HP / 240 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Stealth Rock

I want to thank you all for the comments and thoughts on my team! As for the Klefki issue I´ve seen a lot, I just want to mention that I have been running double screens since I first used this team in-game, and another player advised me. Just forgot to edit my bio for him. I´m now going to respond to individual people´s comments. Hammerhead96, as previously mentioned I noticed my mistakes and have changed it. The Consort you are correct, it was a typo for SpD, and also I will make sure the nature change happens. As with Bulu, I am keeping Megahorn to be my counter to grass types, which no other pokemon can do besides Koko with HPIce. The nature change on Koko is coming to life as well. I have expiremented with Clefable before and haven´t liked it, plus, Diancie is the only mon on my team who can learn Stealth Rock. Additionally, Moonblast will be replaced with Psychic. As for Mimikyu, I am keeping him in to be a pure counter to psychic types. And now to the longest one, Eien. As I previously said, I have been running screens, just not updated. As for Klefki, while I may personally not agree with him having no damaging moves, I will trust your set, and replace the toxic orb with leftovers, so it has more time to set up spikes and screens. The EV changes and Knock-off will be applied to Azumarill as you requested. HP Fire will be coming to Diancie, along with the nature changes in both Diancie and Koko. Thanks for all of your help! I´m getting to it as soon as this comment is posted!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)