Qwilfish @ Rocky Helmet / Black Sludge
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid / Jolly Nature
- Scald / Liquidation
- Spikes
- Sludge Bomb / Toxic Spikes / Poison Jab
- Taunt

After returning in the July tier shift, Qwilfish remains as one of the few Spikes users that can secure its place on many balanced teams thanks to its ability to pivot into common threats like Gurdurr and other Fighting-types. Qwilfish's good offensive typing and access to Scald and Sludge Bomb also make it somewhat difficult to switch into for its checks without risking being inflicted with status. Having a decent Speed tier and access to Taunt further contributes to Qwilfish's efficiency as an entry hazard setter, as it can outspeed some Defog users like Skuntank and Altaria and prevent the use of Defog. Stealth Rock users like Mesprit and Regirock can complete a hazard stacking core with Qwilfish while covering each others' checks. Other offensive partners like Pyroar and Lycanroc benefit from Qwilfish's entry hazards heavily pressuring their checks. Overall, Qwilfish's role compression as a pivot and a Spikes setter is appreciated due to the general offensive nature of PU after the tier shift resulting in a need for good entry hazard support that also has some valuable defensive presence.

Last edited:
This is ready. I'm not entirely sure if I am fully used to July tier shift changes but I hope there aren't any major issues.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Jolly / Timid Nature swap order of natures to fit with order of moves
- Scald / Liquidation
- Spikes
- Taunt

Qwilfish returned to PU as one of the prominent Spikes users in the July tier shift i dont get what this means at all, it's a prominent spiker within a tier shift? and it's one of like, 2 spikes users and currently secures its place in many teams with some notable traits doesn't like, every viable mon do this?. Apart from being able to pivot against common threats like Kingler, Gurdurr, and Clefairy and set entry hazards against them, Qwilfish can also prevent Hitmontop i hope u mean chan from freely removing entry hazards with Rapin Spin with Rocky Helmet or a burn from Scald this isn't really notable though considering all the spin blockers we have and how froslass stops it spinning even better. Qwilfish is also somewhat difficult to switch into safely for many foes due to its good STAB combination and access to attacks like Scald and Sludge Bomb that can induce status ailments. Teammates like Skuntank, Spiritomb and Eelektross can benefit from entry hazard support Qwilfish provides these are incredibly random mons, we have way, way better mons to take advantage of spikes. The former two can check Ghost- and Psychic-types while Eelektross can deal with opposing Water-types and pivot into Ground-type attacks. Qwilfish's ability to hinder many Defog users with Taunt or with its attacks means wallbreakers like Kingler and Pyroar can have easier time breaking through defensive cores as well see this just basically says what the previous sentence does.
Not approving this yet, aside from the factual stuff I would like to see what this says after the redundant stuff has been replaced.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Timid / Jolly Nature
- Scald / Liquidation
- Spikes
- Taunt

After the July tier shift, Qwilfish remains as one of the few Spikes users that can secure its place in many balanced teams thanks to its ability to pivot into common threats like Kingler and Gurdurr. Qwilfish's good offensive typing and access to Scald and Sludge Bomb also make it somewhat difficult to switch into for its checks without risking status ailments. Having a decent Speed and Taunt further contributes to Qwilfish's efficiency as an entry hazard setter, as it can outspeed some Defog users like Skuntank and Altaria to prevent Defog. Stealth Rock users like Mesprit and Regirock can complete a hazard stacking core with Qwilfish while covering each others' checks. Togedemaru serves as a switch-in to Electric- and Psychic-type attacks aimed at Qwilfish and benefits from Spikes support from Qwilfish that quickly wears down Ground-types this isn't a relevant partner at all, like they can go together but toge is barely an elec resist tbh considering lanturn and manec. i would rather see a sentence about why spikes is good in the PU meta at the end of the spotlight, rn it's kinda just spikes for spikes sake, and even the last sentence isn't really explained. Other offensive partners like Kingler, Pyroar, and Lycanroc benefit from Qwilfish's entry hazard support as well.
just do the thing and it's 1/1

Great! I'll hold on for a few hours before sending this to GP just to make sure everything is fine (and in case other PU QC's want to other things, I guess).

Edit: moving

Last edited:

asa

the man with the machine gun
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PU Leader
add/change remove comments
Timid / Jolly Nature
- Scald / Liquidation
- Spikes
- Taunt

After returning in the July tier shift, Qwilfish remains as one of the few Spikes users that can secure its place in on many balanced teams thanks to its ability to pivot into common threats like Kingler and Gurdurr. Qwilfish's good offensive typing and access to Scald and Sludge Bomb also make it somewhat difficult to switch into for its checks without risking being inflicted with status ailments. (or just replace ailments with conditions, i'm just not sure if 'status ailments' is accepted.) Having a decent Speed tier and access to Taunt further contributes to Qwilfish's efficiency as an entry hazard setter, as it can outspeed some Defog users like Skuntank and Altaria to and prevent the use of Defog. Stealth Rock users like Mesprit and Regirock can complete a hazard stacking core with Qwilfish while covering each others' checks. Other offensive partners like Kingler, Pyroar, and Lycanroc benefit from Qwilfish's entry hazards heavily pressuring their checks. Overall, Qwilfish's role compression as a pivot and a Spikes setter is appreciated due to the general offensive nature of PU after the tier shift resulting in a need of for good entry hazard support that also has some valuable defensive presence.

Kingler got banned so I removed its mentions. Maybe will need a quick lookover.

Edit: MZ said this is fine in Discord so I guess this is good to go?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)