PU Analyses Discussion Thread

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
I'e been using Eelektrik lately, and this set turns him into a great pivot.

Utility Eelektrik

Eelektrik @ Eviolite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 SpD
Bold/Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Super Fang/Toxic/Thunder Wave
- Giga Drain
- Rest/Light Screen

The defense EVs can be altered in any needed way, but I've found that even after its eviolite is knocked off, Eelektrik can still tank hits quite well. It's complete lack of weaknesses gives it plenty of safe switch ins, and volt switch allows it to keep up momentum. It's second moveslot is devoted to moves that cripple the opponent. Super fang is good for weakening threats to allow another team member to take it out, while toxic puts a timer on the opponent. Thunder wave allows Eelektrik to cripple fast sweepers. Giga drain provides it with a form of recovery, and nails the ground types that would wall it otherwise. Rest can be used to instantly regain its health back at the cost of 2 turns of sleep, or light screen can be used to boost its spD even further, and support the team. Sadly, Eelektriks movepool is quite shallow, so this is the only set that has worked for me.

I've attempted a physical set with coil, but wild charge as it's main stab really limits it's usefulness.
Feel free to critique this set.

Last edited:
hi Earlio

Unfortuanately, Eelektrik is outclassed offensively and defensively. As an electric type; it suffers from huge competition, defensively speaking, from Pokemon like Stunfisk, which provide more utility than Eelektrik as well as a stronger typing with more resistances to its name. As a screen setter (i see you have light screen as a possible support option), Meowstic does this job much better thanks to ability to use Light Clay and Prankster (+1 Priority), meaning its much more efficient at getting up screens to support other mons on your team. And finally, as an offensive volt switch pokemon, it suffers from being brutally weak, and being outclassed offensively by the likes of Raichu, Zebstrika and if we are talking about a bulky pivot that resists flying, has toxic / thunder wave support, i cant see the reason i would use it in front of the afformentioned mons and Probopass, which resists more types, does more damage and is a more effective bulky pivot in this current metagame.

For these reasons, i find it unlikely that Eelektrik would get an analysis. Cool idea though ;o

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
hi Earlio

Unfortuanately, Eelektrik is outclassed offensively and defensively. As an electric type; it suffers from huge competition, defensively speaking, from Pokemon like Stunfisk, which provide more utility than Eelektrik as well as a stronger typing with more resistances to its name. As a screen setter (i see you have light screen as a possible support option), Meowstic does this job much better thanks to ability to use Light Clay and Prankster (+1 Priority), meaning its much more efficient at getting up screens to support other mons on your team. And finally, as an offensive volt switch pokemon, it suffers from being brutally weak, and being outclassed offensively by the likes of Raichu, Zebstrika and if we are talking about a bulky pivot that resists flying, has toxic / thunder wave support, i cant see the reason i would use it in front of the afformentioned mons and Probopass, which resists more types, does more damage and is a more effective bulky pivot in this current metagame.

For these reasons, i find it unlikely that Eelektrik would get an analysis. Cool idea though ;o
Thanks for the response. I only feel that Eelektrik was worth mentioning due to lack the lack of any weaknesses and Super Fang. Also, it was fun seeing somebody try to use earthquake on it while I was testing it on showdown.

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
Just going to compile changes that should be made for pokemon in D rank. (outdated or screw ups)
Wigglytuff - Mentions Poliwrath, Aurorus, and Carracosta in the moves section. Poliwrath once again mentioned in the Team options
Torkoal - offensive Poliwrath was mentioned in the last sentence of moves. Carracosta was mentioned in Set details in the last sentence.
defensive it mentions Togetic somewhere in the middle, right after the mention of Rapid Spin helps Stealth Rock weak users.
Swalot - Piloswine and Carracosta were mentioned in moves after Giga Drain. Mentions Torterra in the same area after Ice Beam. In the middle of Usage Tips it mentions Poliwrath in the middle. In checks and counters Torterra is mentioned in Ground types.
Seviper - In the overview, it says Seviper suffers competition from Victreebel. In moves right after Giga Drain it mentions Piloswine. Last word in moves is Poliwrath. In usage tips it mentions Poliwrath once again. First sentence in other options mentions it being outclassed by Victreebel. After the mention of Taunt it says it can stop Thunder Wave togetic. Checks and Counters Ground types mentions Piloswines.
Seaking - In overview is says that it is outclassed by Carracosta and Barbaracle. Carra and Barb mentions in attacks after Drill Run. mentions of team options is Carra and Barb. In other options after Agility it mentions Barb and Carra. In checks and counters Carracosta is mentioned in Status and Physical walls.
Raticate - Last sentence of moves mentions Piloswine. In usage tips it mentions to be wary of priority moves from Piloswine and Carracosta. Team options first sentence mention Whirlipede and Piloswine. After mention of bulky ghost types, Piloswine and Poliwrath were mentioned. After mentioning Defog/Rapid Spin Togetic is listed as an option. Other options after Grass Knot mentions of Carra and Poliwrath. C&C mentions Barb and Carra. In fighting types Poliwrath was mentioned.
Persian - In moves Piloswine is mentioned to be OHKOd after rocks. Poliwrath is mentioned towards the end of usage tips. Team options first sentence mentions Whirlipede and Piloswine. In other options after Thunderbolt Carra and Barb were mentioned and again at the very end. C&C fighting types mention Poliwrath. Residual damage mentions Pilloswines Ice Shard,
might do the rest later but I hope this helped.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Just going to compile changes that should be made for pokemon in D rank. (outdated or screw ups)
Wigglytuff - Mentions Poliwrath, Aurorus, and Carracosta in the moves section. Poliwrath once again mentioned in the Team options
Torkoal - offensive Poliwrath was mentioned in the last sentence of moves. Carracosta was mentioned in Set details in the last sentence.
defensive it mentions Togetic somewhere in the middle, right after the mention of Rapid Spin helps Stealth Rock weak users.
Swalot - Piloswine and Carracosta were mentioned in moves after Giga Drain. Mentions Torterra in the same area after Ice Beam. In the middle of Usage Tips it mentions Poliwrath in the middle. In checks and counters Torterra is mentioned in Ground types.
Seviper - In the overview, it says Seviper suffers competition from Victreebel. In moves right after Giga Drain it mentions Piloswine. Last word in moves is Poliwrath. In usage tips it mentions Poliwrath once again. First sentence in other options mentions it being outclassed by Victreebel. After the mention of Taunt it says it can stop Thunder Wave togetic. Checks and Counters Ground types mentions Piloswines.
Seaking - In overview is says that it is outclassed by Carracosta and Barbaracle. Carra and Barb mentions in attacks after Drill Run. mentions of team options is Carra and Barb. In other options after Agility it mentions Barb and Carra. In checks and counters Carracosta is mentioned in Status and Physical walls.
Raticate - Last sentence of moves mentions Piloswine. In usage tips it mentions to be wary of priority moves from Piloswine and Carracosta. Team options first sentence mention Whirlipede and Piloswine. After mention of bulky ghost types, Piloswine and Poliwrath were mentioned. After mentioning Defog/Rapid Spin Togetic is listed as an option. Other options after Grass Knot mentions of Carra and Poliwrath. C&C mentions Barb and Carra. In fighting types Poliwrath was mentioned.
Persian - In moves Piloswine is mentioned to be OHKOd after rocks. Poliwrath is mentioned towards the end of usage tips. Team options first sentence mentions Whirlipede and Piloswine. In other options after Thunderbolt Carra and Barb were mentioned and again at the very end. C&C fighting types mention Poliwrath. Residual damage mentions Pilloswines Ice Shard,
might do the rest later but I hope this helped.
Pretty much every Pokemon has a mention of banned ones, we are fixing them all asap, so sorry to put good work to waste but this isn't necessary

Thanks for the help though!

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
Pretty much every Pokemon has a mention of banned ones, we are fixing them all asap, so sorry to put good work to waste but this isn't necessary

Thanks for the help though!
I realize that but I figured I would try to support as much as I can. If you need me to go over specific analysis I can do that for you guys.

The Golem analysis mentions Barbarcle and Carracosta, both of which are banned. I also think a Rock Polish set should be added, as STAB EdgeQuake with 120 base Attack is pretty solid, and with an Adamant Nature it can still outrun Floatzel at +2. It also has Sucker Punch to beat opposing priority users. It wasn't listed before because Shell Smash Carracosta and barbarcle were better, but now they're gone..

Golem @ Life Orb
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
Rock Polish
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Sucker Punch

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a defending SPL Championis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
The Golem analysis mentions Barbarcle and Carracosta, both of which are banned. I also think a Rock Polish set should be added, as STAB EdgeQuake with 120 base Attack is pretty solid, and with an Adamant Nature it can still outrun Floatzel at +2. It also has Sucker Punch to beat opposing priority users. It wasn't listed before because Shell Smash Carracosta and barbarcle were better, but now they're gone..

Golem @ Life Orb
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
Rock Polish
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Sucker Punch
Sorry, but even with the Shell Smashers gone, this set isn't worth using at the moment, as it is outdone by Rock Polish Relicanth. Relicanth finds much more setup opportunities because of its high Defense stat combined with its typing, which allows it to set up on most physical threats(mostly Normal-types). Relicanth also has access to a stronger and reliable Rock-type STAB in Head Smash, and is faster than Golem, which can be key especially when running a Rock Polish set, which is meant to clean the opposing team without finding much opposition.

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
People are discussing who is the better Shell Smasher between Huntail and Gorebyss when Huntail doesn't even have an analysis for Shell Smash lol. Also the overview should be redone since it says it faces competition from Barb and Carra like thoughout the entire thing.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
People are discussing who is the better Shell Smasher between Huntail and Gorebyss when Huntail doesn't even have an analysis for Shell Smash lol. Also the overview should be redone since it says it faces competition from Barb and Carra like thoughout the entire thing.
We're currently working on revamps to our outdated analyses, as obviously the tier changes after the analyses are uploaded. We're both making full revamps (havent you reserved these?) and doing CMS revamps. I think it should be pretty clear that we're working to update all of them. As for huntail specifically, it's getting a full revamp here, and the discussion as for who is the best shell smasher should have nothing to do with its analysis really. So yeah, we're working on it.

A set I've used with good results:

Kadabra @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
Substitute
Psychic
Signal Beam
Hidden Power Fighting / Shadow Ball

Come in on something you can force out (Machoke and slower Poison types work well), set up a Sub and then start smashing. 120 base Special Attack and a recoil free Life Orb lets you do a lot of damage. Psychic for STAB, Signal Beam for opposing Psychic types and Dark types, Shadow Ball for Misdreavus and Gourgeist, Hidden Power Fighting for Steel types

I think it should be added, since Kadabra's great Speed tier give it a solid niche over Exeggutor

Last edited:

MZ

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think Duosion might need a bit of a revamp. Also Wormadam-Sandy, it metions Pelipper, Poliwrath and Piloswine.
We have a whole list of analyses to revamp or edit with cms that we're getting through right now. I also don't think Duosion needs a full revamp, when I quickly skimmed it I didn't even see any mentions of banned/no longer PU Pokemon
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/pu-analysis-reservation-index-revamps.3550197/
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/low-priority-revamps-please-read.3553876/

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
For the Grumpig analysis I feel strongly about slashing Colbur Berry into the Offensive Utility set. It allows it to not get Pursuit trapped quite as easily and makes it able to eat up a Sucker Punch from Arbok, Golem, Pawniard, Murkrow and Huntail allowing to check a bit more. I actually rarely find myself not using Leftovers because I do not feel it is necessary all of the time and having a better matchup against some of these Pokemon can make my life a bit easier. TBH I would even say it deserves a slash in front of Lefties but I am not as good at PU as many other people are so...

MZ

For the Grumpig analysis I feel strongly about slashing Colbur Berry into the Offensive Utility set. It allows it to not get Pursuit trapped quite as easily and makes it able to eat up a Sucker Punch from Arbok, Golem, Pawniard, Murkrow and Huntail allowing to check a bit more. I actually rarely find myself not using Leftovers because I do not feel it is necessary all of the time and having a better matchup against some of these Pokemon can make my life a bit easier. TBH I would even say it deserves a slash in front of Lefties but I am not as good at PU as many other people are so...
It's actually up for a full revamp which includes adding the more standard 176 speed timid spread that's popped up. This will happen once somebody reserves and writes Grumpig, but I think it's the last unreserved mon or somth

Glaceon has several mentions of banned pokemon:
Paragraph 1- Aurorus, Togetic
Paragraph 2- Carracosta, Barbaracle
Paragraph 3- None
Paragraph 4- Torterra
Paragraph 5- Poliwrath 2x, Carracosta 2x, Barbaracle 2x
Paragraph 6- None
Checks and Counters- Poliwrath 2x, Carracosta, Barbaracle, Aurorus.
Sorry if mentioned already but this really bugs me.

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Glaceon has several mentions of banned pokemon:
Paragraph 1- Aurorus, Togetic
Paragraph 2- Carracosta, Barbaracle
Paragraph 3- None
Paragraph 4- Torterra
Paragraph 5- Poliwrath 2x, Carracosta 2x, Barbaracle 2x
Paragraph 6- None
Checks and Counters- Poliwrath 2x, Carracosta, Barbaracle, Aurorus.
Sorry if mentioned already but this really bugs me.
Analyses like Glaceon's and other outdated ones will either be revamped or edited through cms. It may take some time, but please have a little patience with this and we'll get on this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)