Praise the sun! Pre-pokebank OU RMT

Disclaimer: Not an actual sun team. Realized that AFTER I posted the title.

I'm working on building a team based on some Jolly co-operation to acquire me some sunlight medals.

The goal of the team is to break down and take out anything that threatens Volcarona, and have him set up and sweep. Originally built around Mega Blastoise, I realized I wanted to use either Volc or Talonflame to abuse his strengths as a spinner.

Without further adieu...

---
---

Havel the Rock (Mamoswine) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash

Purpose: Obviously, my goal here is to set up Stealth rock. Generally, this guy will lead, but sometimes I'll use Gyarados or, hell, even Volcarona if I think I can get away with it. A few other leads this guy deals with nicely: Immune to Galvantula thunder, so can EQ -> Ice shard to beat it. It's faster than Klefki, so you can EQ, then beat whatever else with Ice shard next turn, even taking prankster into account. Oblivious means taunt leads can't taunt it. Focus sash guarantees rocks against anything except fast sleeps.

I'd prefer to keep him alive, however, as an extra priority helps a lot against threats like Dragonite, salamence, noivern, and even crobat.

Concerns: Between Defog and new spinners such as Mega Blastoise, and the recently unbanned Excadrill, suicide leads JUST for rocks aren't as useful, especially because I have no spinblocker. I'm thinking I might make him less "suicide-y" and more a regular usable physical threat, perhaps with a bit of a bulkier spread using Thick fat.

Tarkus (Blastoise) @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 64 SAtk / 192 SDef
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam (PS!) / Aura sphere**
- Dark Pulse
- Rapid Spin

**Right now, on Showdown! Aura sphere is illegal, hence the slash. Normally, I plan to run Aura sphere, but I've only tested it with ice beam (which has uses, of course). For all intents and purposes, assume Aura sphere.

Purpose: Spins for Volcarona, checks a few threats as well, and scald can get a good burn on targets switching in. EVs allow Dark pulse to OHKO Gengar, 2HKO any other Spinblocker. Generally, a really solid mega for one of my favourite pokemon.

Concerns: No reliable recovery. I would love to fit wish and aromatherapy on this team somewhere, but I'm not sure where, or how, or if it's even needed.

Solaire (Volcarona) (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
IVs: 30 SAtk
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Fiery Dance
- Hurricane

Purpose: The warrior of sunlight himself, my main goal is to clear rocks, take out specific threats (Gyarados, Salamence, Azumarill, later on, Heatran), set up, and sweep. Right now, I'm using Lum berry, as in tests, I've had issues with Toxic and T-wave. Before, I was using Life orb, but as I mentioned, Paralysis and Toxic hurt too much for me to go life orb or leftovers.

Concerns: Considered using the bulky roost set, but wanted more damage. Last move slot is up in the air. Giga drain is a no go right now, so I'm considering either HP Electric, or HP ground. Electric would be for Gyarados, and ground would be useful when December rolls around for Heatran.

Smough (Scizor) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Pursuit
- Brick Break
Purpose: A bulky, damaging pivot. Works well for wearing down threats, works well with Rotom-w. One of my favourite pokemon since GSC, and an obvious mainstay in OU. Also acts as a trapper to certain threats, despite having lost his ghost resist.

Concerns: Generally a strong pokemon, however, he shares a few similar weaknesses with Volcarona. Currently, Gyarados isn't afraid of him. I'm totally open to replace him with another choice threat, but he HAS saved my ass regularly.

Gwynados (Gyarados) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 88 HP / 248 Atk / 4 Def / 168 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Taunt

Purpose: Bulky Taunt Gyarados. Bounce isn't available yet, so I opted for Earthquake. He's a secondary threat for taking down different types of teams. Brings a taunt to my team, which I can use if I predict something that will either try to set up or phaze me.

Concerns: No bounce, and I don't really need bounce. I'm thinking I'll use Stone edge over EQ for other Gyarados, and certain flying threats that would otherwise wall me.

Ornstein (Rotom-Wash) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 232 HP / 56 Atk / 220 Spd
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thunderbolt

Purpose: I hate this thing. But it works. I guess. Dunno what else to say about it. Voltturn with Scizor, takes out threats like Gyarados, fire types, will-o-wisp is fantastic... I just wish I could find something that wasn't it.

Concerns: I hate it. But it works. Any other options? I'm thinking give Gyarados Stone edge and then use Ferrothorn or Gliscor or anything. Please.
---

So yeah. I've had some success on Showdown! with this team, but figured I'd ask to see if I can iron things out a bit more. The core of the team is, no doubt, Volcarona / Blastoise (Mega), and it has worked quite well for me, no outstanding issuse, I feel my losses are because I get outplayed, etc.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)