SPOILERS! Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon News & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's Darkrai from the Mystery Dungeon Explorers games, where he's only defeated by having his memory wiped.

But among Game Freak games... nope, not a single case. That I remember.
Well, hence I said "when human coexisting". True, if it is PMD which has no humans, then someone just has to take the villain role (and then again, some games even take another option by having final boss that is neither human of Pokemon). But when humans exist.....

Then again, an evil Pokemon in main series game like how they has been showing Necrozma in trailers would be a great surprise I'm willing to see, although then again most likely won't happen even here if it follows GF's pattern.

The announcement about Ultra Recon Squad essentially having opposite goals depending on which version you play had me a bit confused, since if in one version they're trying to defeat Necrozma it's not obvious who the villainous team would be then. Until I remembered something: the Aether Foundation still exists.

I'm curious if we'll see something similar to Teams Magma and Aqua in Hoenn, where their goals are directly opposite each other: one is trying to control Necrozma, and the other one is trying to defeat it. I recognize that this is fairly implausible because then the story would differ wildly depending on your version, but it's an interesting idea I had.

I'm curious if we'll see something similar to Teams Magma and Aqua in Hoenn, where their goals are directly opposite each other: one is trying to control Necrozma, and the other one is trying to defeat it. I recognize that this is fairly implausible because then the story would differ wildly depending on your version, but it's an interesting idea I had.
It would be fairly easy to do if they went through that route - namely, making each pair of Squad members are competing on which is the best way to deal with Necrozma - and you help one of these pairs prove their point. Similarly to how in the original Ruby and Sapphire, Archie and Maxie, respectively, barely appear and are portrayed as being right all along.

Last edited:
It would be fairly easy to do if they went through that route - namely, making each pair of Squad members are competing on which is the best way to deal with Necrozma - and you help one of these pairs prove their point. Similarly to how in the original Ruby and Sapphire, Archie and Maxie, respectively, barely appear and are portrayed as being right all along.
I was thinking more in terms of who you battle at the height of the plot, since in one version you'd go through Aether Paradise and eventually fight Lusamine, while in the other you'd go through Ultra Recon Squad's HQ and battle their boss. Ruby and Sapphire were able to do it easily since they just swapped out which team took over Mt. Chimney / Seafloor Cavern, while in USUM both teams have well-established bases and presumably use wildly different Pokemon.

The announcement about Ultra Recon Squad essentially having opposite goals depending on which version you play had me a bit confused, since if in one version they're trying to defeat Necrozma it's not obvious who the villainous team would be then. Until I remembered something: the Aether Foundation still exists.

In the end Team Magma and Team Aqua are basically the same thing, they even end up having the same fucked up situation they caused by awakening what was supposed to not to be awakened, just having some different dialogues and a different pokemon. If you think about it, they actually did exactly what the opposing team was trying to do aka just merely a difference of sprites and words.

I doubt GF will do something extremely ground-breaking about this one however, otherwise the story length will differ WAY too much to be fair for both versions' players.
Most likely, both sides are here for the good, someone went too far about what they are trying to do, you have more interaction with the side you are with (say, the loli from sun will always state that there's no point controlling something as dangerous as Necrozma, the woman from Moon will state that trying to beat up Necrozma and hoping that it will release the light it stole is barbaric and ridiculous), and in the end either side might wholly fucked the whole thing up and they require the player's assistance to wrap their mess up.

Aether still didn't do anything particularly bad during SM (apart from Lusamine going total bonkers at some point), but judging that Lusamine is actually trying to be good by ordering the protagonist side to run away from "the monster", Aether can actually also be good and we'll have a situation where actually nobody is particularly malicient and wanted to harm everyone just for the lolz, except Necrozma which arguably did so due to instincts.

I have a fairly strange idea (maybe just outright crazy) - Both sides in the end realised things will still go to shit regardless of their methods, maybe you proposed another way to deal with Necrozma known as the plot-device-called-love-and-caring (because it's seemingly in pain), will get to fight the Ultra recon squad, which the whole squad unanimously believed that it's totally stupid on the whole and tried to stop you in order to protect you instead of stopping you for their goal, but the climax is still trying to fight against Necrozma so that the paradox of "who is correct" will be solved without being unfair to either side.

And regardless how many times I looked into the star-like thing with two eyes at the combined background of USUM's box art, I can't help but remember this guy.

Last edited:
X and Y did the "different aspects of the same plot" thing too. Lysandre wanted to use Xerneas to make everyone immortal or Yveltal to kill everyone: two decisions which would have vastly different impacts on the story from a real-world perspective (at least if he had succeeded), but ingame it's just the same thing with different dialogue. And again in ORAS when the redesigned admins each got unique personalities that were different than their version counterparts. That's what the version-exclusive Recon members are doing here. The Necrozma thing isn't a gameplay difference because these are a pair of games, not two different ones. It's just a forked road to reach the same conclusion.

X and Y did the "different aspects of the same plot" thing too. Lysandre wanted to use Xerneas to make everyone immortal or Yveltal to kill everyone: two decisions which would have vastly different impacts on the story from a real-world perspective (at least if he had succeeded), but ingame it's just the same thing with different dialogue. And again in ORAS when the redesigned admins each got unique personalities that were different than their version counterparts. That's what the version-exclusive Recon members are doing here. The Necrozma thing isn't a gameplay difference because these are a pair of games, not two different ones. It's just a forked road to reach the same conclusion.
Except he didn't. Lysandre originally meant to kill everything on Earth with the big-o'-beam regardless which version he was on, and only proceeded to threaten to make the player immortal to watch as the world crumbles (X)/ kill everyone in the headquarters(Y) because Xerneas/Yveltal decided to gtfo and destroyed his plan.

That said, I'm looking forward to GF's tricks hidden under their sleeves should they really pull out something nobody thought of/deemed impossible. They actually made Team Plasma and N pretty interesting (even though it ended up being a "hahahaha I will take the whole region under my control" story because GF apparantly didn't know how to make use of the plot) in BW, though admittedly the meanings of the dragons became under-developed and sorta moot.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
The problem with XY's Flare plot in regards to Lysandre's plan is that is was split into two though the plans didn't change. Lysandre's plan was always the same: use the Ultimate Weapon to make the non-Pokemon members of Team Flare immortal and kill everyone else. However depending on what version depended on the power source of source of the Ultimate Weapon. It's implied it doesn't matter what the power source was, Xerneas or Yveltal were just a battery. Honestly, Xerneas being the life Pokemon and Yveltal being the death destruction Pokemon doesn't really play a part in the story at all, it's just that Lysandre focuses on the Legendary's aspect of mortality because it's on his mind. But anyway, the game doesn't really tell you this causing a sort of problem in both version's story:

X: How does Lysandre plan to kill everyone with life energy?
Y: How does Lysandre plan to make Team Flare immortal with death destruction energy?

Without assuming the Ultimate Weapon can transform the energy, you're left confused how Lysandre is going to accomplish half of his plan.

Who knows if Z was going to fix that. If it was a traditional third version than they could have easily combined the plots. If it was a sequel paired game they could just clarify the Ultimate Weapon's use of energy.

BACK ON TOPIC!

So something has been bothering me. The Ultra Poke Ride looks to be an important mechanic, yet Nebby gets taken over by Necrozma after becoming Solgaleo/Lunala. So how is this going to work? Is Ultra Poke Ride going to just be a post game thing? How do we get to the Ultra Recon Squad's world than?

Last edited:
Reactions: Mq
So something has been bothering me. The Ultra Poke Ride looks to be an important mechanic, yet Nebby gets taken over by Necrozma after becoming Solgaleo/Lunala. So how is this going to work? Is Ultra Poke Ride going to just be a post game thing? How do we get to the Ultra Recon Squad's world than?
Iirc it was written in one of the interviews that Ultra Ride is a postgame activity.

A realistic guess would be that during the plot you get to travel through the necessary rifts with the help of the Recon Squad, while once you "save" (or obtain, or something) your cover legendary you become able to freely use the Ultra Ride.

Team Rocket is featured on the download cards of USUM. The text ットだん should be the last four characters of ロケットだん, meaning Team Rocket.

Could they be the antagonist team in the game? What could they want with Necrozma? Why is their logo rainbow now? Maybe this is just one of the Ultra Wormholes we go through to catch Mewtwo, given Mewtwo is the gen one legendary?

In any case, I'll look for the download cards in the next few days to see if there are any more hints if we don't get clearer/better pictures.

Last edited:
The problem with XY's Flare plot in regards to Lysandre's plan is that is was split into two though the plans didn't change. Lysandre's plan was always the same: use the Ultimate Weapon to make the non-Pokemon members of Team Flare immortal and kill everyone else. However depending on what version depended on the power source of source of the Ultimate Weapon. It's implied it doesn't matter what the power source was, Xerneas or Yveltal were just a battery. Honestly, Xerneas being the life Pokemon and Yveltal being the death destruction Pokemon doesn't really play a part in the story at all, it's just that Lysandre focuses on the Legendary's aspect of mortality because it's on his mind. But anyway, the game doesn't really tell you this causing a sort of problem in both version's story:

X: How does Lysandre plan to kill everyone with life energy?
Y: How does Lysandre plan to make Team Flare immortal with death destruction energy?

Without assuming the Ultimate Weapon can transform the energy, you're left confused how Lysandre is going to accomplish half of his plan.

Who knows if Z was going to fix that. If it was a traditional third version than they could have easily combined the plots. If it was a sequel paired game they could just clarify the Ultimate Weapon's use of energy.

BACK ON TOPIC!

Which is basically why XY's plot is filled with all sorts of glaring holes that are soreful to watch at. But from my understanding, while Xerneas' and Yveltal are practically bigger batteries, Lysandre just said he will spare all members of Team Flare and blow everyone else up, and maybe it is just a fluke - After all, if everyone including himself is dead then who can prove his words anyway?

X: Probably just like heat and electrical energy, Life energy is also a form of energy which he converts into something ultra deadly (say a very condensed energy beam like a Hyper beam). Maybe it works like Getter Radiation from the Getter merchandise, which sufficient amounts of radiation enhances evolution, but more than that is gonna turn you into juice. Or otherwise, it's just a special form of energy while can be super powerful as a weapon, it can also be used to grant life.
Y: Similar to Xerneas from above, but not directly the energy generated from the pokemon itself, just stole it from it's piggy bank. It doesn't mention anything about granting life to anyone (unless my memory is shoddy), but if Yveltal maintains lively by absorbing life energy, maybe that can be done in reverse. After all, TF managed to drag out its life energy to fuel the cannon, I guess it isn't much of a problem to give it to others, should it really be meant for life to prosper.

Some ground-breaking stuff occured my friend. Remember there is somebody talking about the Rainbow Team Rocket thing which most people debunked it as fanfiction? It's actually TRUE, of all things.

Take note at the rainbow coloured R under Decidueye, and the two members that have a rainbow-themed background along with their typical team Rocket clothings. GF surely pulled out all the stops this time, but again Lysandre became a problem. (how is he still here if he managed to blow every shit up on Earth?)
(Source: boxart from local stores posted in Bahamut, which apparently took them from 4Chan)

Edit: got Ninja-ed, but meh.

Last edited:

Team Rocket is featured on the download cards of USUM. The text ットだん should be the last four characters of ロケットだん, meaning Team Rocket.

Could they be the antagonist team in the game? What could they want with Necrozma? Why is their logo rainbow now? Maybe this is just one of the Ultra Wormholes we go through to catch Mewtwo, given Mewtwo is the gen one legendary?

In any case, I'll look for the download cards in the next few days to see if there are any more hints if we don't get clearer/better pictures.
They actually brought back Team Rocket. I'm hoping old man Giovanni decides to show up as well (yes I know in the HGSS Celebi event, it's implyid Giovanni might have commited suicide, but hey new timeline, new possibilities)

What even ...? What? I mean, what?!? Like, what? Team Rocket is back? Not just a cameo grunt but the actual team?

I wonder if this is gen I rocket or gen II rocket ... so many questions .... what?

Hooray, more Gen 1 pandering stuff. I like the original games and all, but come on now.
Agreeing with this, we really didn't need Team Rocket back. If its anything more than a cameo (which it doesn't look like) then I'll be disappointed. Team Skull really deserve to be expanded because there's a lot of potential there but with the new Recon/Necrozma storyline it was already looking unlikely, Team Rocket returning would probably just kill that which would be a real shame.

EDIT: Didn't see the building with the R logo on it until just now which almost confirms it isn't a cameo. Very disappointed, free Team Skull.

I'm hoping we just encounter them while dimension hopping and end up in a world they never disbanded, then they never appear again. Or that it's just a bunch of nostalgic guys like the ones that pretended to be the Nugget Bridge challenge in Malie Park.

To be fair, it's not just Team Rocket, supposedly by the main world Giovanni's doing, alternate versions of some of the evil team leaders will come together to form this comic-book styled evil alliance.

Eh, adding Team Rocket to equation might change EVERYTHING. That Nugget Bridge throwback confirmed that they are supposed to be disbanded already but....

Well, or they'll just be involved in the Mewtwo plot post game. Sure, they are true villains, but I can't think of them replacing Aether or Skull. No, not at all if it is storyline, I'd rather have insane mom of the year or Ya Boi Guzma than those goons again. Then again, it's perfect if they are in the sidequest of Mewtwo, maybe stopping them while passing by ultra holes?

Secretly hoping Lusamine or Guzma owns Sakaki or whoever those four admins are. Although this opens possibility of them appearing as another force in anime like in Unova arc.

Uh, pretty sure it's going this is going to be USUM's Delta Episode. So strictly postgame and shouldn't interfere with Aether and Skull's role during the main game.

And yeah, one of my biggest want and wish for the anime is to have Giovanni take an active role again like the BW anime Meloetta arc. Seeing Giovanni arrive in Alola to take over the Aether Foundation would be neat

We all know Skull is in the game either ways since Guzma was clearly shown in the trailers, so it's a very likely possibility that Team Rocket appears in the postgame episode.

After all, this is an alternate Alola: there's the possibility in this alternate place Giovanni never suicided, or Team Rocket never disbanded, or both.

...still secretly hoping that Lusamine is a good grill this time :'(

Hooray, more Gen 1 pandering stuff. I like the original games and all, but come on now.
Generations has already heavily indicated that Giovanni was coming back with a better, stronger Team Rocket than ever, and that the Team Rocket story was not over. Team Rocket isn't exclusive to Gen I, anyway; it carried over into Gen II, but didn't really leave itself with any sort of resolution, even then. Sure, there was everything that happened in the Radio Tower with the executives who gave up hope that Giovanni was coming back. Except, the only time we heard anything from Giovanni himself, it was through a hidden event in HGSS.

A return of Team Rocket was inevitable, the only question was when. It's entirely possible that their appearance here is inconsequential, just something minor to do with the portals. If this is not a minor event, however, then this is one of those details that I really wish that they had kept hidden until the release, and that they would have let impact us directly in game. This might be like how Terminator Genisys shot itself in the foot by revealing John Connor's role in the story before the movie was even out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)