SPOILERS! Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon News & Discussion MK2 **Official Media Only**

@DHR-107 Small correction in the OP:

9th November 2017:
The Japanese Pokemon youtube channel uploaded another Rainbow Rocket video which can be found here

Nothing in this video we haven't already seen in other trailers.
The video reveals that Maxie, Archie, Ghetsis, and (most likely) Cyrus all use Uber legendaries in addition to Giovanni. (It also reveals that Giovanni may use Mega Mewtwo X in place of Mega Mewtwo Y, implicitly depending on version.)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I think that'd be spoilers, right, since we can't see dex entries until we catch Pokémon in the games.
Don't want specifics (especially if they're spoilers), just want to know if the Pokemon who were already in Sun & Moon got new dex entries.

I decided to look on Google for Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon Pokedex Entries.
"Mega Evolution is Evil in Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon"
And indeed, USUM keeps the tradition that Mega Evolution is essentially body and psychological horror for Pokemon. Not only did older Mega Evolutions get more info (confirmed that Pokemon in SM are getting new dex entries, yeah!) but they also revealed Tyranitar's:
"Due to the colossal power poured into it, this Pokémon’s back split right open. Its destructive instincts are the only thing keeping it moving."

Yeah, bet you never realized that!

Oh, and as for some that were in Sun & Moon:

Sherpedo: Those old wounds that appear on Sharpedo, it feels pain from them.
Aerodactyl: If it doesn't feel pain, at the very least if feels uncomfortable bulked up (remember, this is what some scientists believed to be how Aerodactyl originally looked like, those hacks).
Scizor: It's confirmed that too much stored energy will start to melt Scizor.
Metagross: It has become so smart battles are done "terribly efficient". Like I imagine Metagross just hitting a Pokemon's vulnerable spot, instantly knocking it out (or worse) and not even giving it a chance to defend itself.
Lucario: Confirms it's unable to hold back.
Gengar: Confirms it tries to kill everyone it comes across, including its trainer.
Absol: It doesn't like battling so it HATES changing to this form which is only made to fight.

But, hey kids! You know what isn't animal cruelty toward your Pokemon? Z-Moves! Z-Moves have been approved by a top notch team of Pokemon scientists and professors who research* have shown it's 200% safer, friendlier, and more effective than Mega Evolution! And Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon had brought you even more Z-Moves! So use Z-Moves now and forget about that old Mega Evolution!

* This research was paid for by the Z-Move Initiative Lobby. This in no way skewed the results.

... Huh? What's that? Gen VIII has introduced Super Abilities? HEY KIDS! Z-Moves are the spawn of Giratina! Your Pokemon is over exhausting themselves putting everything they had in just ONE move! A waste of energy, highly dangerous, and very irresponsible! Instead have your Pokemon use that power naturally throughout the battle by charging up it's Ability with Super Abilities!...

Sigh.

Looks like I can't browse the Orange Islands forum page or even the Smogon Forums home page without the Latest Post feature in this subforum revealing a Pokemon's name in its thread title. Guess I'm glued to this thread only and nothing else on Smogon for the next handful of days.

Spoiler-avoiders beware.

The mega Pokédex entries are beginning to sound super corny. I don’t buy that mega evolution is so painful for Pokémon. Gen 6 lore centered around the idea that mega evolution is possible because of the bond a trainer has with their Pokémon. Hell, Mega Rayquaza exists because the people of Hoenn needed a savior.

I’m sure darker things do happen in The Pokémon world but Rotom is a ghost Pokémon who probably just wants to scare kids.

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
Yeah, these dex entries are really beginning to get over the top. That ttar entry was definitely way too dark even for me (and I'm notorious amongst my social groups for being ridiculously over the top with dark humor). I think I might make a post about this in the unpopular opinions thread but yeah, this is definitely going too far.

Aren't dex entries only known from datamines...? Or was something else officially released recently that I'm not aware of?

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think you all greatly misinterpret the SM/USUM Pokedex entries for Mega Evolutions.

Really, it's not that simple. What they say is not meant to antagonize Mega Evolution, and it does not mean that we are simply hurting our Pokemon every time we make them Mega Evolve, or forcefully putting them in pain all the time. Rather, they are an explanation for many of the intrinsic things about Mega Evolution. Specifically, why Mega Evolution cannot occur naturally in the wild, and why it's not a permanent form of evolution.

Mega Evolutions are essentially evolved form of the Pokemon they derive from. However, the energy of Mega Evolution is immensely powerful. A Pokemon in its wild, natural state cannot possibly handle that level of energy on its own. A Mega Evolved Pokemon harnesses immense power, but that power would eventually get the better of them, and they would be unable to take control of such energy and as such would go berserk. That is why we almost never see Mega Evolution occurring naturally in the wild, and why we only see them under the ownership of Trainers. A Mega Stone under the hands of a Trainer essentially facilitates Mega Evolution, as a Pokemon under the ownership of a Trainer would be able to Mega Evolve as a Trainer would be able to channel the energy of Mega Evolution through them and their Mega Stone.

But there is a catch: as said in X and Y, it takes a strong bond of trust between Trainer and Pokemon to fully control the power of Mega Evolution. If a Trainer and their Pokemon share a strong bond and are fully in sync, that connection of trust can essentially "tame" the power of Mega Evolution: as they are in sync, Trainer and Pokemon together can take control of the immense power that Mega Evolution provides, and utilize it to their full advantage, representing their strong connection by bringing out the Pokemon's full power. However, if the Trainer and Pokemon do not bear a strong enough bond, then they will not be able to take full control of Mega Evolution, and the Pokemon could lose control and go berserk. And while I do not like using the anime as reference, we see this somewhat with Korrina's Lucario there. When she first Mega Evolved her Lucario, it would eventually lose control and go berserk. If the Trainer is inexperienced, then there is a very good chance that the Mega Evolved Pokemon would turn on them and be unable to control their power. That is why we see it harnessed largely by more experienced Trainers who have successfully achieved a strong bond with their Pokemon: they have a strong enough trust between them and their Pokemon that they can fully master and control the power that Mega Evolution provides, and utilize it to their full advantage in battles. When that happens, a Pokemon will be able to channel the strength of its bond and overcome the energy of Mega Evolution, making it less painful for them to bear and be able to utilize their newfound power and take complete control over it.

But it will eventually prove exhausting, even with that in mind. Because there is so much energy channeling through a Pokemon when in a Mega Evolved state, it will eventually give in. As such, Mega Evolved Pokemon can only remain in their evolved form for so long: once they have fulfilled their purpose in battle, they will return to their original form, so as to minimize their chances of suffering from the energy. And a Trainer can only ever Mega Evolve one Pokemon per battle they participate in: they simply cannot channel enough Mega Evolution energy through their Key stone to do so to all of their Pokemon. As such, because the energy is so immensely powerful that even a Pokemon alone wouldn't be able to handle it, there are many limitations to how it can be utilized.

Using Mega Evolution is a great power. But with great power comes great responsibility. It takes a strong bond of trust to tame the power of Mega Evolution, and unless you have a strong trust, you will not be able to use it effectively. And a Pokemon in its most wild, natural form would be unable to control such an immense power, so it takes a strong Trainer who can truly trust their Pokemon to be able to help them overcome that power and take control of it. But if you achieve that strong bond, then you have a great power in your hands, and your Pokemon will be able to use that power very effectively.

That's my interpretation of it: I probably sound weird and stupid the way I wrote all this but that's my take on Mega Evolution and summing everything up from what we've been told of it, especially with the USUM/SM dex entries.

I think you all greatly misinterpret the SM/USUM Pokedex entries for Mega Evolutions.

Really, it's not that simple. What they say is not meant to antagonize Mega Evolution, and it does not mean that we are simply hurting our Pokemon every time we make them Mega Evolve, or forcefully putting them in pain all the time. Rather, they are an explanation for many of the intrinsic things about Mega Evolution. Specifically, why Mega Evolution cannot occur naturally in the wild, and why it's not a permanent form of evolution.

Mega Evolutions are essentially evolved form of the Pokemon they derive from. However, the energy of Mega Evolution is immensely powerful. A Pokemon in its wild, natural state cannot possibly handle that level of energy on its own. A Mega Evolved Pokemon harnesses immense power, but that power would eventually get the better of them, and they would be unable to take control of such energy and as such would go berserk. That is why we almost never see Mega Evolution occurring naturally in the wild, and why we only see them under the ownership of Trainers. A Mega Stone under the hands of a Trainer essentially facilitates Mega Evolution, as a Pokemon under the ownership of a Trainer would be able to Mega Evolve as a Trainer would be able to channel the energy of Mega Evolution through them and their Mega Stone.

But there is a catch: as said in X and Y, it takes a strong bond of trust between Trainer and Pokemon to fully control the power of Mega Evolution. If a Trainer and their Pokemon share a strong bond and are fully in sync, that connection of trust can essentially "tame" the power of Mega Evolution: as they are in sync, Trainer and Pokemon together can take control of the immense power that Mega Evolution provides, and utilize it to their full advantage, representing their strong connection by bringing out the Pokemon's full power. However, if the Trainer and Pokemon do not bear a strong enough bond, then they will not be able to take full control of Mega Evolution, and the Pokemon could lose control and go berserk. And while I do not like using the anime as reference, we see this somewhat with Korrina's Lucario there. When she first Mega Evolved her Lucario, it would eventually lose control and go berserk. If the Trainer is inexperienced, then there is a very good chance that the Mega Evolved Pokemon would turn on them and be unable to control their power. That is why we see it harnessed largely by more experienced Trainers who have successfully achieved a strong bond with their Pokemon: they have a strong enough trust between them and their Pokemon that they can fully master and control the power that Mega Evolution provides, and utilize it to their full advantage in battles. When that happens, a Pokemon will be able to channel the strength of its bond and overcome the energy of Mega Evolution, making it less painful for them to bear and be able to utilize their newfound power and take complete control over it.

But it will eventually prove exhausting, even with that in mind. Because there is so much energy channeling through a Pokemon when in a Mega Evolved state, it will eventually give in. As such, Mega Evolved Pokemon can only remain in their evolved form for so long: once they have fulfilled their purpose in battle, they will return to their original form, so as to minimize their chances of suffering from the energy. And a Trainer can only ever Mega Evolve one Pokemon per battle they participate in: they simply cannot channel enough Mega Evolution energy through their Key stone to do so to all of their Pokemon. As such, because the energy is so immensely powerful that even a Pokemon alone wouldn't be able to handle it, there are many limitations to how it can be utilized.

Using Mega Evolution is a great power. But with great power comes great responsibility. It takes a strong bond of trust to tame the power of Mega Evolution, and unless you have a strong trust, you will not be able to use it effectively. And a Pokemon in its most wild, natural form would be unable to control such an immense power, so it takes a strong Trainer who can truly trust their Pokemon to be able to help them overcome that power and take control of it. But if you achieve that strong bond, then you have a great power in your hands, and your Pokemon will be able to use that power very effectively.

That's my interpretation of it: I probably sound weird and stupid the way I wrote all this but that's my take on Mega Evolution and summing everything up from what we've been told of it, especially with the USUM/SM dex entries.
Now if only you actually needed to have a strong bond with your Pokemon. Seriously, Game Freak. You gave each Pokemon a happiness variable. Why didn't you use it here?

It's the only way to answer to this

Sigh.

Looks like I can't browse the Orange Islands forum page or even the Smogon Forums home page without the Latest Post feature in this subforum revealing a Pokemon's name in its thread title. Guess I'm glued to this thread only and nothing else on Smogon for the next handful of days.

Spoiler-avoiders beware.
For anything these days the only way to avoid spoilers is to remain off the internet. People made their avis Mega Ray / Buzzswole / etc before I even knew what they were.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Sigh.

Spoiler-avoiders beware.
3 more days, just 3 more days.

The mega Pokédex entries are beginning to sound super corny. I don’t buy that mega evolution is so painful for Pokémon. Gen 6 lore centered around the idea that mega evolution is possible because of the bond a trainer has with their Pokémon. Hell, Mega Rayquaza exists because the people of Hoenn needed a savior.

I’m sure darker things do happen in The Pokémon world but Rotom is a ghost Pokémon who probably just wants to scare kids.
Not only that, this also means we learn less about the actual changes and how they effect the Mega Pokemon making them still a mystery. The Mega Pokemon revealed on the XY site and ORAS provided additional flavor text to how the Pokemon had changed. However many of these Mega Dex entries sounds like anti-Mega propaganda.

If this is because Rotom Dex is writing the entries then I hope the next Pokedex has less personality or its a more inquisitive one that actually wants to inform you on the Pokemon.

ScraftyIsTheBest:
All the Likes for you! :D

Indeed, that's what I always thought though in less detail: the bond between the trainer and Pokemon mitigated if not completely nullified the negative effects of Mega Evolution. I figured there's an energy flow cycling between Pokemon and trainer so that both trainer and Pokemon are channeling the Mega Evolution. It's not just one individually trying to contain huge amounts of power within themselves causing excess power to spew out wherever it can, causing pain.

Though why is a strong bond needed instead of just any bond between trainer and Pokemon? Well, as DrPumpkinz pointed out, the games don't really enforce that. If anything, it more seems the trainer themselves need to skilled in order to use Mega Evolution, and naturally a skilled trainer will form strong bonds of trust and friendship with their Pokemon. This is needed also on the Pokemon's part because I doubt a human can handle as much energy as a Pokemon can. It's an subconscious game of balance as the trainer provides an anchor/pivot for the Pokemon to flow extra energy into and from while the Pokemon tries holding onto as much energy as possible to not only empower themselves but not overwhelm their trainer. Thinking about it, both Pokemon and trainer are putting themselves in a dangerous situation that both need to skilled as to not hurt themselves or the other.

If you want an in-game reference to this, there's Super Mystery Dungeon. You can Mega Evolve Pokemon in Super Mystery Dungeon via a boosting item, but that Pokemon than have a bar appear above them and when it fills up it'll go into Berserk Mode and attack every Pokemon is sees, friend and foes alike (once the bar runs out it'll revert to normal). As you said, a wild Pokemon can't handle Mega Evolution.

Though that does make me wonder, where is this Mega Evolution data coming from? Obviously the Mega Pokemon being observed is Mega Evolving outside your typical battling setting and without a trainer or at least one it has a strong bond with. Are there some wild Pokemon who found a way to Mega Evolve? At some point did some scientists force Pokemon to Mega Evolve in order to examine the effects of Mega Evolution outside of battle/without a trainer? Maybe the terrifying part about these dex entries aren't about what Mega Evo does to the Pokemon but rather how this information was obtained.

Now if only you actually needed to have a strong bond with your Pokemon. Seriously, Game Freak. You gave each Pokemon a happiness variable. Why didn't you use it here?
High Happiness/Friendship, high Affection, have done over half the Badges or whatever coming of age ritual that region has should probably be the least minimum the trainer has to do to Mega Evolve with a Pokemon.

High Happiness/Friendship, high Affection, have done over half the Badges or whatever coming of age ritual that region has should probably be the least minimum the trainer has to do to Mega Evolve with a Pokemon.
An even better way would be to have a Mega Evolved Pokemon disobey their trainer similar to traded high-level Pokemon, but with the Mega Evolved Pokemon becoming more obedient as their happiness value goes up.

One more trailer

Unfortunately (or fortunately if you want as little info going in as possible, I guess), nothing new until Necrozma shows up, when they reveal Ultra Burst to transform Dusk Mane and Dawn Wings into something that resembles the thing when you put the two covers of the game together, with the text
Necrozma cloaked in light, what is Ultra Burst..?

From top to bottom: Photon Geyser, Charge Beam, Sunsteel Strike, Prismatic Laser.

Last edited:

Mega Evolution can occur in the wild as shown in those animated shorts pre ORAS release

EDIT: or similarly, how Rayquaza Mega Evolves in that XY special with Alan; or how the Latis and Rayquaza mega evolves in that Hoopa movie without a trainer; or how Diancie mega evolves in its movie

EDIT2: or the first ever Mega Evolution we witnessed: Mewtwo mega evolves in that genesect movie

Last edited:
The JP website has also been updated with a page dedicated to Move Tutors, where you can exchange your Battle Points for moves to teach your Pokemon.

Do you want to teach your Pokemon new moves using Battle Points?
アローラ地方の各島のビーチなどで、覚えさせることができる!
At beaches and other places all over Alola, you can teach Pokemon moves!

Top to bottom: Pain Split, Tailwind, Thunder Punch, Endeavor, Focus Punch, Icy Wind, Zen Headbutt.
ポケモンによっては、ここでしか覚えることのできない技もあるぞ!
You can teach Pokemon exclusive moves here. (i.e. ones not available via level up moveset and TMs)

[Player] earned 5 BP!
バトル施設「ロイヤルドーム」や「バトルツリー」でバトルを勝ち抜くとBPがもらえる。
Battle facilities like Battle Royal Dome and Battle Tree give BP for victories.

[Player] earned 11 Beach Points!
各所のビーチで、「マンタインサーフ」をしてもBPがもらえる。
At every beach, you can earn BP by playing Mantine Surf. (i.e. Beach Points and Battle Points are really the same thing)

Incineroar used Drain Punch!

Tapu Fini used Icy Wind!

Zapdos used Heat Wave!

旅をともにするポケモンに教えるもよし、ウルトラホールの先の世界で捕まえた伝説のポケモンに教えるもよし。自分だけのお気に入りのポケモンと技の組み合わせを見つけよう!
You can teach moves to Pokemon accompanying you on your journey, or to legendary Pokemon you caught beyond Ultra Hall. Discover the best moveset for your beloved Pokemon!

So the thing 'hidden' on the boxarts is an actual Pokemon, and it's a Necrozma form? Don't know whether to be surprised or not. And in keeping with the boxart theme, it looks like you need to put Ultra Sun (Dusk Mane) and Ultra Moon (Dawn Wings) together to see it? edit: Never mind, misread.

Looks like for the first time we've got a core series Pokemon game with more than one mascot (1.5, but still).

Last edited:
Really, they could have kept the fact Necrozma was hiding a secret hidden for those who have not looked at the leaks... you know, as a plot twist.

I'm not that surprised, I doubt noone would remember or care but some months ago I pointed out that by putting the covers background together they made a silouette with light.

It matches really well with the thing that happens at the end of video after what the video calls ultra burst.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)