Pokemon TCG (Trading Card Game)

I folded and bought a Battle Arena set that was discounted >u< And two separate sets of singles which were enough to get me a full Wobbuffet + Bats deck for cheap. (maybe 40 euros, but I got the Darkrai set in that so it's really less.) It's a fun deck, but I don't really have a meta to test against, so I'm not gonna say it's great or anything. That never stopped me training different pokemon in gen 4 though, I didn't have internet access then so I couldn't battle people. I still bred a shedload of Breloom and Gengar.

Honestly, if cards were sufficiently cheap (mostly thinking of staple trainers here) I'd probably never *stop* buying decks, since it's the same buzz I get from breeding or SRing a new Pokemon. The feeling of adding a unique and useful unit to your "arsenal" of assorted decks/Pokemon, and increasing the amount of different deck v. deck/team combinations. They don't even have to be very good, just interesting. But alas, cards are expensive, and not really worth the cost, and I hate the idea of deck cores since it means I have to break a deck to make a deck :'(

if I WAS to make another deck, I'd try my hand at doing Magnezone+Raikou, since it's appropriately themed and they were clearly made to go together. And nobody has really tried it :/ (which probably means the cards are pretty cheap... hmmmmm)

TCGO had some sleek updates lately. However, since I can't really 'skip' anything now (eg. animations) every match takes about twice as long. Kind of losing my interest because of that. Sometimes I'm just in for some quick matches, but that's barely possible anymore.

Yeah I heard about the update... a LOT of people were complaining about it. Not because it was bad, but just because the animations took too long. (and the deckbox taking up screen space.) I imagine they'll patch it later to shorten the animations or make them optional, because with long animation times it's best suited to getting someone into a game by playing once memorable match, as opposed to lots of quicker matches. And most people will want the latter.

Magnezone is 3-4 dollars or upwards and Raikou is >3 :( Oh well, that's that pipe dream shot.

The PTCGO update was a PR disaster. There's a poll on their official forums, ~93% of the voters disliked the new update.

The PTCGO update was a PR disaster. There's a poll on their official forums, ~93% of the voters disliked the new update.
lmao. I'd expect any update for anything to be disliked - nobody likes change - but that is an obscene amount!

I know most of you guys probably won't care, but this pisses me off. I can't give too much information about how I know this, and I'm not gonna name any names, but you guys need to watch out for people praising the current state of PTCGO.

Due to the massive backlash against the new updates, certain people have been ordered to post on various forums (especially Reddit) under the guise of the common user and praise the updates, and downvote anyone who doesn't like them.

There is a concentrated shilling effort going on here. The lower staff members are not to blame though, as they're just following orders. It's upper management that is screwed. They spent a lot of time and money on this update and their response to the fan outrage and backlash is to make everyone else like the updates by tricking them into believing that the haters are in the minority, so they should just choke it down and play the way it is.

The update will not be rolled back. There will not be any significant changes to it. Animations will not be able to be disabled. Pretty much every complaint is falling on deaf ears. All the top cares about is money and they know that retarded children will keep buying tourney tickets and gems and shit and YOU don't matter to them, but they still want to try and trick you into continuing to give them money.

Make use of this information as you will.

Well, upper management will care if their active userbase plummets to 1/20th of its size.

I don't see any reason to play TCGs on any p2w platform when OCTGN exists.

Kinda related, but I just heard about TCGone, has anyone here tried it out? It's an online client I believe.

Kinda related, but I just heard about TCGone, has anyone here tried it out? It's an online client I believe.
I tried it out, and works just fine. But it obviously doesn't look as nice and slick as TCGO, which is a real bummer to me. If TGCO only kept the option to turn off/on the animations...

Anyone think the new Playmats are (slightly) annoying?
Side 1 > Game mat
Side 2 > Instructions

What if I need to know about Weakness and Resistance rules? :(

lol 1 post in the whole of 2016, man this is dead. anyway i just opened an entire rising guardians and got 36 of those cards with the digital redeem codes which i dont care about so if anyone is interested i can tell them the codes. if not they go in the bin

lol 1 post in the whole of 2016, man this is dead. anyway i just opened an entire rising guardians and got 36 of those cards with the digital redeem codes which i dont care about so if anyone is interested i can tell them the codes. if not they go in the bin
I'd be more then willing to take those off your hands!

sin(pi)

lucky n bad
I'd love a couple!

My first 3 packs of GR online were RR Lele, FA Lele and RR Koko. I think "profit" is the word here?

If anyone is interested in talking tcg I'd be down for it, VM me or quote me or something

alrigh guys send me your emails in a private message and ill send the pictures i took. i didnt want to type out each individual code and smogon wont let me upload it here cus "the files too large"

i wont send nudes i promise:P

Guardians rising is an awesome set. Haven't spent money on a booster box since... probably Dark Explorers (though I bought a fair few packs of Breakthrough and Roaring Skies - RIP Shaymin), no regrets. Lots of great stuff in there, even without Tapu Lele (which I didn't pull).

Any of you folks ever messed around with a cube (in Pokemon or in other cardgames)?

Guardians rising is an awesome set. Haven't spent money on a booster box since... probably Dark Explorers (though I bought a fair few packs of Breakthrough and Roaring Skies - RIP Shaymin), no regrets. Lots of great stuff in there, even without Tapu Lele (which I didn't pull).

Any of you folks ever messed around with a cube (in Pokemon or in other cardgames)?
I have Magic: the Gathering and old school Pokemon (base to neo destiny) cubes and they are a blast to play! My friends want me to build a modern era pokemon cube but I can't for the life of me figure out how that would work. The EXs are so powerful that traditional evolution lines are hard if not impossible to play in that setting. It just becomes "play big basic then smash." The trick to building a pokemon cube is to include tons of consistency trainers (in old school that would be Bill, Professor Oak, Computer Search ect.) so all players can do what they need to do.

I've got an up-to-date cube (all the way up to Guardians Rising!) that has some EXes in it; it's an unlimited cube though, so it's not strictly modern or expanded. (I much prefer it this way, too - a lot of my sensibilities are grounded in gen 4, and there's some great cards from then in here.) EXes are a huge problem. Firstly, with power creep, even regular gen 5/6 mons are more efficient than previous gens. Secondly, even in current gens, most stage 1s and pretty much all stage 2s *suck*. You can't beat the utility of a basic. And thirdly, even without those two factors, the higher HP makes for a huge challenge. A lot of otherwise great cards max out at 70 damage; that's a 3HKO on even the shitty EXes.

So I've omitted them from my cube entirely, save for the miniature ones like Manaphy, Victini, any Shaymin, etcetera. They're actually all wonderfully balanced. Huge utility and decent but not OP statlines for basics, yet the 2 prize rule makes running them a 50/50 decision. It's great, and it gives stage 2s a chance to shine.

It's still early days for my cube testing. 600 cards is a lot of room for new "broken" stuff to be discovered. I'm a little unsure about some of my specific stage 2s, and Grass could be a problem later since Vileplume is scary with FoGP/Broken Time Space and Aether Paradise messes hugely with the much smaller damage numbers hit in the cube. Time will tell!

sin(pi)

lucky n bad
Decided to open a random tradable GRI pack because I was bored... pulled my second RR Lele! Massive profit incoming, I think.

What have people been partnering with TrashGarb? I've seen Tauros, Espeon, Trevenant, but they all just seem "ok" to me.

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Decided to open a random tradable GRI pack because I was bored... pulled my second RR Lele! Massive profit incoming, I think.

What have people been partnering with TrashGarb? I've seen Tauros, Espeon, Trevenant, but they all just seem "ok" to me.
I think that's about it. ive seen it paired with the other Eeveelutions (Vaporeon, Flareon, Jolteon) which is pretty slick.

A deck I'm looking extremely forward to trying out at a League Challenge this weekend is Lycanroc/Raichu. I've been hyped about this Lycanroc forever, just didn't know what to pair it with until now.

sin(pi)

lucky n bad
ok i have like another 50tcg codes to giveaway this time ill probably give them all to the first bloke to respond
think you already have my email, can I take them? :toast:

e: while I'm here, what are people planning to play post-rotation? I've got Metagross and and Fire built, and I'm looking to build some more "fun" decks like Muk and maybe Necrozma/Aegislash (which can take up to 12 prizes in a single turn!). Also looking into partners for Garb but I'm really struggling to find any good ones :/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)