Pokemon TCG (Trading Card Game)

Friends give you Pokémon cards for your birthday? What the fuck lol.

Back on topic, I can't seem to understand the concept of that Articuno in the Water deck. When it knocks someone out, you get to pick 2 prize cards insteqd of 1. But what if I knock that Articuno out? Can I then also pick 2 prize cards?

Back on topic, I can't seem to understand the concept of that Articuno in the Water deck. When it knocks someone out, you get to pick 2 prize cards insteqd of 1. But what if I knock that Articuno out? Can I then also pick 2 prize cards?
No, AT Articuno isn't an EX. EX's are the only case where a Pokemon with that status is worth two prize cards to knock out without any outside effects. Delta Plus, the Ancient Trait, works so that if you can plan around getting Articuno to knock out your opponent's Pokemon, you can win the game quicker by essentially treating its victims like EX's.

Articuno is just the best overall choice for an AT card with Delta Plus.

Last edited:
Don't take it so serious. I actually never get presents like that. Like I said, it was just for fun. They know I'm into Pokemon so they wanted to give me something that would make me smile. And it worked. I don't think I'll ever relive a moment like that.

Is there any notable difference between Ancient Traits and Abilities?

Also, it looks like Pokémon wisened up and no longer publishes deck building guides by WotC.

Also, it looks like Pokémon wisened up and no longer publishes deck building guides by WotC.
AFAIK Ancient Traits have yet to have anything that blocks them, but Abilities have had ways to shut themselves down for a while. Functionally they work similarly but they are still "separate things".

...I've bought cards for my friends birthdays several times, and I've already got two WC sets ordered and delivered in preparation for Christmas :Y I'm not sure what the issue is? They're pretty great presents when both the giver and the receiver enjoy playing cards? Maybe there's some unwritten rule about birthday presents only being money or a can of beer or IOUs that I haven't heard of yet???

Sorry but what does AT mean? And what is 'Delta Plus, the Ancient Trait'? I'm new to all this.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Ancient_Trait

It was a gimmick released with the expansions based on ORAS. A few of them have both an Ancient Trait/AT and an ability

Not many of them saw a lot of use, since every facet of their stats were so heavily nerfed because they thought they had to justify these extra abilities by making the Pokemon involved terrible. Probably the best one was Mega Tyranitar with Theta Double.

And by "best one", I mean "The only good AT card". There are still more preferable Megas out there. There are a few other arguably good AT cards, but it took them a while to figure out how to make them consistently worth playing (In a meta that focuses on low-cost and high-power you think they'd get it), and by then they were already done with the gimmick. So it's generally not a good investment, unless you're looking for the EXs and trainer cards in those sets.

Last edited:
Ah thanks, another question: Is it possible to score a damage of 500+ in one move?
You mean presently? The maximum potential I know of is 880, But it'd be nearly impossible to do in a timely fashion.
Here's the strategy, I'll link to all the cards:
Sky Field is the stadium. You have Mega Rayquaza, BREAKthrough Haxorus, Four BREAKthrough Empoleons, and two other random Pokemon on the bench, and Mew-EX is your active Pokemon, with a Muscle Band Tool attached to it.

Sky Field: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Sky_Field_(Roaring_Skies_89)
M-Rayq: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/M_Rayquaza-EX_(Roaring_Skies_76)
Haxorus: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Haxorus_(BREAKthrough_111)
Empoleon: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Empoleon_(BREAKthrough_38)
MewEX: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Mew-EX_(Dragons_Exalted_46)
Muscle Band: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Muscle_Band_(XY_121)

First thing you do is have Mew use Haxorus' Dragon Dance, then next turn have Mew use M-Rayq's Emerald Break on any Pokemon weak to Psychic attacks.

Emerald Break, with a normal full bench, deals 150 damage. Sky Field increases that damage to 240. A Muscle Band increases it again to 260. Four Empoleons add 80 more damage, making it 340. Dragon Dance bumps it up to 440. SE Damage doubles that.

I don't endorse ever trying this. It'd be cool to pull off, but the amount of Pokemon you'd need to guarantee getting to do it would eat up half of your deck, and it would slow you down tremendously. You'd never need to deal more than 290 (If your active has a special energy and you're fighting Wailord EX with an Assault Vest) if you wanted to one-shot everything in the game.

tl;dr- Theoretically, yes, just not always in practice.

Last edited:
That's probably outdated by now too, I feel instinctively that there's something you could do with skyfield and the right bench setup. But you'd have to work out the exact losses caused by not having other Pokemon/less fighting energy.

I don't actually play competitively anymore :D I have some friends who do! I used the TCGO for maybe... a week, back when it was first out, but it was slow and buggy and I disliked not having access to all the cards. They still only have the booster/deck collected cards system, right?

YGOPRO does it right. All the cards, instant access, free to play ((and not in anyway remotely sanctioned by Konami))

I still get cards occasionally, but only from BW-on to Legendary Treasures. It's hard to keep up a consistent interest in a tcg (by hard, I mean expensive, when Rotations exist) so when XY debuted I took that as an opportunity to leave on a high note. In the meantime I've used up most of the good cards in my collection and built a fluffychomp, darkraiLasers, and Empoleon+Accelgor* (my longest-running and total pet deck) decks. And my friend only decided to get a complete Blastoise/Keldeo deck last week, despite it being effectively out of rotation.

*MFW I discovered what Accelgor were selling for a few weeks ago after I bought a playset of them back during Dark Explorers's release
OuO

I don't actually play competitively anymore :D I have some friends who do! I used the TCGO for maybe... a week, back when it was first out, but it was slow and buggy and I disliked not having access to all the cards. They still only have the booster/deck collected cards system, right?

YGOPRO does it right. All the cards, instant access, free to play ((and not in anyway remotely sanctioned by Konami))

I still get cards occasionally, but only from BW-on to Legendary Treasures. It's hard to keep up a consistent interest in a tcg (by hard, I mean expensive, when Rotations exist) so when XY debuted I took that as an opportunity to leave on a high note. In the meantime I've used up most of the good cards in my collection and built a fluffychomp, darkraiLasers, and Empoleon+Accelgor* (my longest-running and total pet deck) decks. And my friend only decided to get a complete Blastoise/Keldeo deck last week, despite it being effectively out of rotation.

*MFW I discovered what Accelgor were selling for a few weeks ago after I bought a playset of them back during Dark Explorers's release
OuO
Okay, so this. This entirely.

I was so frustrated when the PTCGO was first released. If it wasn't for the god-awful overplayed graphics (that was the cause of SO MUCH LAG), it was the fact that you still had to buy online cards to have any fun. With like, actual money. Boo, TPCi. I honestly wouldn't have minded as much if they made it more like the original GBA tcg games, but they ruined it with all the money-grubbiness.

I wouldn't mind a collection mode, since it gives real rewards for playing, and generally adds incentives and a level of... "what can I do with what I have? what's the next thing I need"? But there should also be an additional mode for free playing. That's just common sense :| Proxies are absurdly annoying to playtest with regularly!

It's actually ridiculously similar to GF's support for competitive play and the rise of shoddy battle + simulators. Except there's nobody filling the void this time!

Nothing like actually shuffling a deck you own, though.

Redshark is a little glitchy and lacks rule enforcement, but it's the only system that provides online play for Pokémon TCG with all cards available.

Also, I loved abusing Togekiss with Mega Gardevoir~

Another question: Is there a way to remove or retreat my own Stadium Card in play?
No, you cannot. A Stadium card can usually only be removed from play when another Stadium card with a different name comes into play or another card says to discard the stadium.

How about confusion? For how many turns does that stay? Or does it go away eventually?
It doesn't go away by itself. Unless replaced by Asleep or Paralyzed, the Pokémon remains Confused unless retreat or other action is taken (such as the use of a Trainer card).

Anyone considering a purchase of one of the (or hell, two copies of) the Battle Arena Decks set? As someone who left at XY, hot damn, that is a seriously tempting purchase. It's easily (by miles!) the most competitive deck the Pokemon company has ever produced, and at that, there's two of them - not to mention some seriously fine reprints. The only feasible way it could be better is if it had 2 Ns per deck instead of 1 each. And maybe Absol instead of Zoroark.

I'm really really tempted, specifically for the half-a-bats playset in the Mewtwo deck. Two sets of those, 4 Wobuffett (which are really cheap), whatever trainers I can get together and 4 copies of Dimensional Valley and I have myself another deck to mess with. But rationally it would be a silly purchase, since outside the trainers and the bats I don't need any of the other cards! (I don't really need another deck either, if I'm entirely honest...) I already have a full Darkrai deck and 4 copies of Mewtwo from an older set of tins. And none of my friends would really benefit from them for the same reasons :< I suppose I can always wait and see if the prices for things drop after the reprints, but if I'm buying singles I'll have to buy more supporters and they're kinda pricey.

Alas! If only I could buy more friends to play with, I would not have these problems!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)