Pokemon TCG Discussion Thread!

I know, it's an amazing card and that's why I have 2 of them in my non-tourney-legal deck.

Here's a really good deck I stumbled upon.
Pokemon:
4-3-3 Vanilluxe (NV)
2 Fliptini
3-1-2 Vileplume (UD)
1-1 Dodrio
1-1 Beartic
2 Reshiram
1 Cleffa

T/S/S
4 Pokemon Collector (HGSS)
3 Professor Oak New Theory (CoL)
2 Juniper (BW)
2 Cheren (EP)
2 Twins (Triumphant)
2 Flower Shop Lady (UD)
3 Rare Candy (UL)
4 Pokemon Communication (BW)

Energy:
10 Water Energy
3 DCE
I dunno about this deck...Is Reshiram just there to revenge kill a Coballin' or other steel that ruins Vanilluxe's day? Mainly, I see major consistency issues with the deck... The trainer/supporter selection is a bit low for a deck that's going to be trading prizes, not setting up for the sweep. On top of that it's got the 1-1 lines hanging around... I just don't quite like the idea of it yet.

It has more than one Flower Shop Lady, can't be good :P

In seriousness, the draw supporters *look* solid, but it isn't really focused enough - 2 Twins won't get you Twins when you need em. With 2 FSL you can go for 4 Juniper and some Sage's over Cheren, and the Beartic looks a bit misplaced...Dodrio Reshiram Vileplume does sort of beat Cobalion, but you're taking heaps of damage before you can one-shot it, especially if it has SpMetals on it, and you're giving them time to set up another.

Here's a deck I've been working on, and really liking the results of. The fact that the main attackers are all Basics just make it that much easier to set up.

Crawdaunt's "Dragon Truth" said:
Pokemon: 23

3 Kyurem
1 Reshiram
1 Zekrom
3-2-2 Vileplume
3-2-2 Reuniclus
1-1 Blissey
2 Pichu

Trainers: 24

4 Rare Candy
4 Twins
3 Cheren
3 Pokemon Collector
3 Pokemon Communication
2 N
2 Seeker
2 Eviolite
1 Professor Oak's New Theory

Energy: 13

4 Rainbow E
6 Water E
3 DCE
The eviolite's look a little misplaced there, I realize. But the strategy with them isn't just to get them out first turn. If you can, that's great. But the way to play this deck is to seeker Vileplume up mid-game with a benched oddish or gloom (removing damage from your side of the field), play the eviolite, maybe play a communication, and then rare candy or evolve back to Vileplume before the end of your turn. Suddenly you have yourself a lead attacker with an effective 150 HP, capable of taking on the mirror match with other dragons outraging for 140. Kyurem's spread is also incredibly effective. The rainbow energies are in the deck for 2 reasons.

1. If your opponent denies you the damage you might need to outrage for SE damage (ex: Durant, or Yanmega after some kyurem spread damage)
2. Zekrom can bolt strike if the situation calls for it.

That said, I don't know if they're entirely necessary. I've had Yanmega fly circles around me when I played ross variants, but this deck sets up extremely well with a first turn pichu. Also, N is brilliant if your opponent is putting early pressure on you and threatens to catcher your benched oddishes. Main idea, first turn get Pichu if you can, bring out 2 solosis, 2 oddish and a Kyurem. 2nd-3rd turn, Twins for that Vileplume and maybe Reuniclus too if you can. After that, bring out what should be a fully set Kyurem and begin the spread.

I started out using Sages > Cheren, but decided that Cheren was the superior option in the deck.

Just call it Dragons Truth. That's what it is.

It's an alright deck, but I don't know if it has enough straight draw, especially now that people have twigged to the Twins engine. What happens when the opponent doesn't choose to knock out your Pichu? For that matter, what if they're the ones playing Kyurem, and Glaciate all your Solosis (hint: Eviolite your Solosis).

Other than that, looks like a rather standard Truth list, perhaps with more energy than is required.

Just call it Dragons Truth. That's what it is.

It's an alright deck, but I don't know if it has enough straight draw, especially now that people have twigged to the Twins engine. What happens when the opponent doesn't choose to knock out your Pichu? For that matter, what if they're the ones playing Kyurem, and Glaciate all your Solosis (hint: Eviolite your Solosis).

Other than that, looks like a rather standard Truth list, perhaps with more energy than is required.
I was thinking of taking out a couple W energies for some added draw support (1 PONT, 1 Copycat maybe? Helps me later game when I don't want to N myself).

If the opponent doesn't knock out pichu, then there're two oddishes sitting there, and eventually one of them will become a vileplume. They have to take a prize eventually, doesn't matter what.

If they're using Kyurem, you'd have to play a lot more conservatively. But they'd have to use electrode to charge it fast enough that you would be worried about the spread. I would hope that with the 3 turns you're given, you can get both vileplume and reuniclus up. The extra PONT and Copycat may help make sure of that. The rainbows are surprisingly necessary for own damage. It particularly helps against Durant by letting you damage reshiram. You can even move damage and seeker up the rainbows to get extra damage to use. Kyurem's Glaciate is a powerful durant killer, but with a fatal flaw. If Durant attaches multiple (3) special metals to a single durant, it becomes immune and can just laugh in front of you, milling you slowly but surely. Reshi could hit for 10 per turn, but that's just not enough, especially if they get a 4th special metal. Thus, rainbows must stay, 2 waters would have to go.

T2 Feraligatr is just as fast as T2 Electrode, and T2 Floatzel/Blastoise is not inconceivable. T2 Electrode also cripples your plan to set up with Twins.

The two big points of using Vileplume are to impede their setup and impede their trainer support (Catcher/Pluspower). If they're already set up, you'll have problems, especially if you can't get Reuniclus out before your dragon is KOed or if they don't have a 120 damage cap (Gothitelle, Magnezone). T3 Vileplume/Reuniclus without Twins is a hard ask, especially since Vileplume is your first priority, and locks Rare Candy/Communication.

Don't know why you're taking Durant into such heavy consideration, it's a wildcard deck at best.

T2 Feraligatr is just as fast as T2 Electrode, and T2 Floatzel/Blastoise is not inconceivable. T2 Electrode also cripples your plan to set up with Twins.

The two big points of using Vileplume are to impede their setup and impede their trainer support (Catcher/Pluspower). If they're already set up, you'll have problems, especially if you can't get Reuniclus out before your dragon is KOed or if they don't have a 120 damage cap (Gothitelle, Magnezone). T3 Vileplume/Reuniclus without Twins is a hard ask, especially since Vileplume is your first priority, and locks Rare Candy/Communication.

Don't know why you're taking Durant into such heavy consideration, it's a wildcard deck at best.
Yeah, Kyurem Feraligatr is a pretty decent deck actually. I faced a good build last night testing with my friend, and it's theorymon is backed up for sure. Kyurem spreads and Feraligatr covers you when kyurem dies thanks to a strong Hydro crunch, that only needs 2 turns of kyurem spread to make sure it can revenge kill the whole metagame. Eviolite does a nice job in the deck too. Definitely something I can see sitting in the top 2 tiers of this metagame. Floatzel/Blastoise is unlikely to see in our metagame, not my biggest concern.

But yeah, Ross deck has problems with ANY deck if it doesn't have twins for T2 or T3 Reun/Vileplume. But if you don't have at least a Duosion by T2 against Kyurem, then you're pretty screwed.

I'd add that dealing with Kyurem's high damage output (180 when six pokemon are out) is hard to deal with for Ross decks.

And I'm probably playing a Durant deck at cities :P

Eviolite wrecks Kyurem something fierce.

Don't overlook Blastzel, after a spread or two from Kyurem, Blastoise (and SEL, I guess) basically one-shots the entire meta with sniping, not to mention he takes out Reuniclus without any extra damage needed.

Eviolite wrecks Kyurem something fierce.

Don't overlook Blastzel, after a spread or two from Kyurem, Blastoise (and SEL, I guess) basically one-shots the entire meta with sniping, not to mention he takes out Reuniclus without any extra damage needed.
Oh I recognize Blastoise' strengths all too well. I really like Blastzel, and I think he and Kyurem make wonderful partners (especially because a Blastzel engine isn't all that much MORE difficult to set up than a Feraligatr engine). With Kyurem, you can even set up Blastzel on the bench to get Kyurem Glaciating by T2. But yeah, Eviolite does absolutely destroy kyurem. Even special metals on certain pokes really hurt kyurem's spread. Of course, eviolite can only go so far, considering kyurem spreads to everyone, and not everyone is going to be eviolited.

Cities tomorrow! We'll see if my local metagame predictions are right or if I should have watched out for something I didn't.

edit:

I'd also add, T2 Electrode IS easier than T2 Feraligatr. It also denies opponent's twins while kyurem can spread to all their benched basics who they don't get to evolve thanks to lack of twins. Electrode+Kyurem makes a much deadlier counter to Ross decks than does Feraligatr/Kyurem. This is solely thanks to the ability to simply communication for electrode and the lack of rare candy required in the deck really improves consistency.

Kyurem alone won't win games against non-Ross decks though. Electrode is support only. You'd need a third line, leading to more Pokemon and slightly less consistency. Nitpicking aside, in terms of pure draw etc, Electrode is still faster, but Feraligatr's purpose as an attacker and his ability to make SEL viable make it a more rounded deck (in theorymon terms, anyway), not to mention the extra slots you'd need for energy in an Electrode deck (don't leave home without 17+) and the obvious need to discard.

There is that Cobalion/Electrode deck that can use Kyurem, I guess.

I saw a lot of CAKE decks at our cities (Cobalion, Electrode, Kyurem+A?). My conclusion was that the cake is a lie because there is no A.

Mini War Report!

Leading up to cities, I was pretty hesitant on what I should run. It was my first cities, and I'm from Victoria which has a smaller community. We were travelling to Vancouver for the tournament, and I was worried that our metagame might lure me into a false sense of security, considering the larger metagame Vancouver had. I was especially cautious of this having gone to fall battle roads, which really helped me prepare for this tournament and dip my toes into the kind of metagame that goes on in communities with more players. To remedy this, I had my eyes pretty much set on one deck. Durant. I was very successful against Reshiphlosions testing with Durant, and it had at least equal matchups against every other deck in the format. It also had the "new" factor, and if you don't know how to play against durant, durant will win. I was running a durant using Weavile, Rainbow energies (for Rotom) and Smoochum, and I felt pretty good going in. Reflecting on it, I made the right choice overall. We had 42 masters at our Cities.

1st Round - Phil
I didn't remember his name at the time. I was waiting at my table without my opponent and everyone else had pretty much started. There was a bit of a mess going on at the time. One of the juniors had dropped some cards from their deck (including a magnezone). But despite the cards being in blue sleeves, whoever picked them up never owned up to it (little prick). It turns out the kid was getting help looking and got a new deck to use from his dad, Phil. I met Phil at our last battle roads. He's a dad with 3 kids and all of them play the Pokemon TCG. He's a great sport and I was really looking forward to facing him again, cause last time he beat my Machamp truth with 1st turn Tyrogue donking my pichu, and yanmega sniping my bench so I couldn't get lock or solosis up. This time, he was running Durant, which was hilarious. First round mirror for a new rogue deck. The game was pretty one-sided though. He ran a manaphy as his starter, I had sneasel+Durant start, collectored for my other 3 durants and started milling for 4 by 1st turn. He didn't get a collector first turn, and that's pretty much game in a durant mirror.

1-0

2nd round - CAKE
The only CAKE deck I faced this tournament (though there were a good few floating around). Cobalion, Electrode, Kyurem. He ran a Beartic though, which i don't think is the main deck, but it probably works pretty well. Either way, I get my durants. I had 1 prized but got it with Rotom after only a couple turns of shuffling through my prizes. I managed to mill 1 of his electrodes and he couldn't get set up well thanks to lost remover, catchers and 1 turn with my smoochum. He finally got an electrode up, energymited, and only got 1 energy from it. Mill yourself 7 cards against a durant deck? Thanks. Easy game 2.

2-0

3rd round - ZPST
This one was crazy. I had durants set up early and he was getting disrupted by lost remover and catcher. It was pretty smooth sailing for me right until the end. He had a fully set up Zekrom, 4 prizes left and 15 cards left in deck. I had 3 durants in play with a weavile out that allowed me my free retreats. I had 2 smoochum, 2 sneasel, a junk arm, and a twins in hand with no energy on my 3 durant in play. This next move led to my loss in both this round, and I blame this misplay for my overall tournament performance. I twins, and I grabbed 1 metal and 1 revive. There were plenty of draw supporters left in my deck, and a good amount of energy, so I felt comfortable top decking. I figured I would get at least one of the 2, and I had milled both his shaymins. I was wrong, and greedy. I revive, get 1 turn of mill for 4, and top deck a pokemon collector. After that, I had 3 more turns without topping either a draw or a juniper. I started using my smoochums and junk armed for catcher to try and disrupt as much as I could, but he had a switch and energy in his small hand. Both my smoochums woke up and he got 2 easy prizes, and continued on that path for his next few turns. My disruption did a little, and I held on to get my durants milling again, but he took his last prize when he had 3 cards left in deck and no way to refresh it.

2-1

At this point, I knew I had to win out to make the top cut of 8. I was kicking myself for making the twins mistake, because it was the 2nd time I'd done it. Not in tournament of course, I just mean I knew it was a bad idea because I had done it in playtesting and I didn't learn from that. But I felt confident considering that game could have been mine, and marched on to round 4.

Round 4 - Ricky the Reshiphlosion
Ricky is someone I faced at last battle roads too. Another bit of history because I lost my game against him due to an autopilot noob mistake. He had yanmegas and I had machamp truth. on 2nd turn, he judged me and I accidentally drew 6 cards. i didn't realize til I had drawn my 7th for turn, and had to take a prize penalty, shuffle my hand back and draw 4 new cards. The card I had then would have gotten me 2nd turn lock with a reuniclus up, and an oaks new theory for a new hand. But, I need to make one mistake per tournament or it wouldn't be disappointing right? :P Either way, Ricky was running a Reshiphlosion on sunday. I knew he was a good player and that it'd be a really tough game. Overall, it was a back and forth of disturb from me and good play from him. I managed to mill 3 of his 4 typhlosions, but he finally got one out with rare candy. We were getting close to game end, he had few cards in deck and 3 prizes left. I used catcher to bring out his typhlosion and N to disrupt him into having only 3 cards in hand. He needed an energy in hand to retreat typhlosion and get reshi out to outrage for knockout as it had been doing. He got his energy and took his prize. I managed another catcher and tried it again, but to no avail. One more time and he got one more energy. He had 4 cards left in deck at the end of the game, and it came down to the last turn :| I later found out from him that he drew 3 energy off the N (and I think that was close to all he had in deck considering his discard and field). Just my luck.

2-2

I was pretty sure I wasn't making top cut at this point, but both my losses were 3-1, so my matchups were good. I had a chance if I went 3-2. So I sat down at my table and saw I was playing another Reshiphlosion my friend had played earlier. He was playing durant too, which made me hopeful. She was fairly new to the TCG as well, as was apparent from some blatant misplays I saw when I watched my friend play her.

Round 5 - Reshiphlosion numero dos
She went first with a lone cleffa start. She Eeeeeeked without playing any basics. I had a good setup with 3 durants on first turn and a 4th to come on second turn (another collector in hand). Unfortunately she benched a cyndaquil and vulpix on her 2nd turn. I was kinda hoping for a durant donk to be silly, but I was still feeling alright thanks to her slower start :P Unfortunately, despite my milling and a judge, she got a Typhlosion 3rd turn and started flare destroying me. I tried crushing hammer and failed, I used smoochums to move energy to her cleffa (in conjunction with catcher to disrupt), and managed to get 5 fire energies on the cleffa at one point, but both my smoochums went down. I could only revive and keep trying to get the energies off typhlosion and onto cleffa, but baby luck wasn't on my side. I think she learned how to play against durant from playing my friend earlier, because she didn't try to set up after the typhlosion at all. Apparently that was bad luck for me, but mostly, with a Typhlosion in front of me, Durant can't really keep up. She won without all too much milling from me.

Overall: 2-3

Props: Running smoochum which made my game 2 easier, and gave me a real chance in games 3 and 5.
Flops: The major misplay in round 3 and running into a bit of bad luck. Also, flops to whoever stole the Magnezone from that Phil's kid. That wasn't cool.

Shout out to StarMetroid who took 2nd at our cities with "Club Zekrom, cryogonal tech." (Club zekrom because it runs Thundurus and/or Tornadus, and both of them are bouncers. Zekrom tin art is the DJ. Just look at the cards in the following warstory and you'll see what we mean :P)

Cities Report

Like Mark (FearZeCrawdaunt) I was unsure of what to run for cities. I had a new Kyurem deck that I was sure would go 2-3, a reshiphlosion that was solid but predictable and bland, I had ZPST which is the deck I had the most experience with but that experience told me I'd lose to a bad start somewhere down the line. The deck I ended up using was Club Zekrom, I deck I had read about on the deck out. I only put the deck together the night before after doing some testing on Redshark and realizing the deck was really good. I tested the deck IRL once on the ferry on the way over but I thought it was still a great deck.

To be honest I was really nervous about the tournament because I hadn't been doing to well in the last couple weeks, my initial goal was to go 3-2. On the ferry over Mark persuades me to replace my Tornadus with Crygonal to counter Donphan. I realize I'd fold to Donphan without it and add it to my list and trade DCE for water and Rainbow energy. The trip over was fun, I had a second breakfast and ate chinese food in the most unorthodox way. Both me and my friends Mark and Myles were wearing pokemon hats and got a lot of thumbs ups and compliments throughout the day.

I came. To this city, to play pokemon.

I'm sorry to the people that don't have names listed, I didn't expect to write a war story and didn't bother remembering names after each match.

Round 1: VS Myles Heaven (Samurott & Feraligatr)
Myles was one of my friends that I went with and I was both happy and sad to face him this early. On one hand I knew him and his deck and was sure I'd win easily, but I didn't want my friends to go down so easily. We set up and begin our game before we were supposed to and had to restart. This was very disappointing as I had gotten a fantastic start despite going second. In our proper game he leads with a lone totodile and I start with a Tynamo. I go first and in my starting hand I have energy, a plus power and Juniper and realize I could don with Tynamo because he is weak to lightning. I play plus power attach my energy and Juniper but miss the Junk Arm/plus power. I still swing for 40 and he doesn't get much set up. I knock out the totodile and next turn I knock out his Oshawott and he had nothing left.

(1-0)

Round 2: VS Mark Payment (Gothitelle with Serperior and Magnezone)
My last round didn't really boost my confidence, and I see I got a pair down for this match. I go second and I'm able to get early KOs and he makes some obvious misplays but I end up whiffing the catcher off my Juniper and I'm 1 turn too late and he gets all his stage twos up. I can't even dent him and have no chance to win bar a bad misplay that he never made. However I manage to beat myself before he can by using para-stalling and heavy draw support to deck myself before he gets his last prize.

(1-1)

Round 3: VS ??? (Gothitelle)
Now I'm pretty deflated over the last game and I found out my opponent plays Gothitelle. This felt like getting slapped by brick wall. We both get slow starts, I'm able to set up but lack the energy to mount an assault. He gets the lock up, but instead of scooping I keep fighting back. As it turns out he doesn't have the ability to move his damage around safely and misplays by knocking out his bench in an attempt to save his gothitelle. I manage to knock out both his Gothitelle by brute force and he is left with no attackers. I pull through and my heart leaps with joy over winning the bad match up.

(2-1)

Round 4: VS ??? (Kyurem Truth)
I don't remember a ton about this match up, except that I didn't care for my opponents attitude. When I'm down to one prize he says all I need for him to scoop is to show him a plus power in hand. I don't in case he has N or something like that but he takes it the wrong way and says I wasted more time on a match I had in the bag. I did have the Junk Arm and got back a plus power for game.

(3-1)

Round 5 VS Guy I faced in a previous BR (Reshiphlosion)
I'm feeling great now, I've reached my initial goal and I realize I only need one more win to make top cut, imagine that! I'm facing a guy I played at BR and I'm out for revenge. He doesn't get a great start and only manages to promote a typhlosion on turn 3. I get a good prize lead and maintain it for game. This was also the point where I really started enjoying myself I no longer mind if I lose and can just have fun playing, my opponent also seems to share my sentiments to a degree and we're able to joke around during the game which I thought was really cool. He also guessed that I was a drama student in high school, I took band in high school but I think I know what gave him the impression as I made moves more dramatic for my own personal enjoyment.

(4-1)

That's right, you heard me I made top cut! I never expected this and was already proud enough that I could lose and feel fine. I'd also make the 7PM ferry back home if I lost right away. My friend Adam also makes top cut so we have to prove what Victoria can do. As it turns out my Emolga wasn't in my list and I had to replace it with a lightning energy.

Top 8 VS Dana (Zekrom, Eelektrik, Lanturn Prime)
His deck was a lot like mine, except he exchanged the speed of Thundurus and Crygonal in exchange for Lanturn which helps the Reshiram match up. Our games are full of derp, game one I get no supporters and get steamrolled. Game two we both get energy set up but he gets few energy and misses his drops. I capitalize on this and take game 2. At this point I make a joke about Eelektrik being inconstant. Game 3 was where the derp ended and the A game was brought, however Lanturn didn't provide him with much help and I take the match.

Top 4 VS ??? (Reshiphlosion)
At this point I win some packs and have exceeded my expectations, but I want more, we missed our ferry and I was having the time of my life. I was out to win this one. Game one was a joke, a good joke that involved tanking Reshiram with an eviolite Tynamo. I make a come back but not soon enough and lose. Game two went well, when time was called I had 3 prizes to his 5. I need to take one more for the game to count and he needed either 3 to match my goal and stop my from taking any. Turn 0 he misses getting any prizes and I have game, I take a prize, sit back and relax. At some point in Game 2 he dropped two plus power (not even junk arms) to OHKO my Eviolite Thundurus, I imagine my face must face must have been priceless as my dropped and Mark was laughing when it happened. Game 3 is sudden death, which means first prize wins, I have the advantage if he starts without a Reshiram, but he does. I end up winning as he makes a huge misplay by benching a Cyndaquil trying for a turn 2 Typhlosion but it is an easy catcher target for my Thundurus.

Final match VS ??? (Reshiphlosion)
I don't believe it. I made it to the final round. I'm going for the whole thing now at full force knowing I won't be crushed if I fail. In game one he leads with a lone Cyndaquil, I was going to play the game out normally when I realize I have the ability to donk it with Crygonal, the card I said I'd kill Mark for persuading me to use in a tournament without Donphan. I feel great, I have two shots at winning the whole thing and in one I get to go first which is huge.

In game 2 we go down the wire in the prize race, i get to a point were I can't win, but then I realize I can deck him out. I count his energy and deduce that he has no energy left in deck (thank you predictable reshiphlosion lists) and catcher a typhlosion that I had Bolt Striked earlier. Now he must kill the typhlosion with afterburner to get a new active and it will take both his afterburners. He starts charging the bench for the point where he can attack. i get him with no cards in deck and 6 in hand with 2 prizes left so I figure I win here and now. Unfortunately he junk arms for a super rod and survives to get game 2.

Our last game was also sudden death, I've got a great shot as I can promote and attacker faster and if he leads with a cyndaquil or Cleffa I win. I get a Thundurus and I can win if I go first or he doesn't get a Reshiram in his starting hand. He goes first and leads Reshiram. He attaches and passes, I attach energy and an Eviolite, which stirs up the crowd a bit. I charge and pass. he attaches again and plays pokemon collector, I keep a straight face but my mind is going crazy that he could be about to give me game just like the last guy, however he doesn't bench them and I realize he only wanted to thin his deck. I realize my only chance is too attack and hope he can't draw into a plus power and energy. It turns out he had both and I concede. I have a couple chances to pull through but he gets all he needed.

I can think of several things that would have let me win the last game but I'm not going to dwell on the past, i still got second and was extremely proud of myself.

I was asked to get my photo taken, and I get my friends in as well to show off our amazing hats. I walk out with ten packs and 5 championship points. We open our packs in a hotel lobby on the way to the ferry and I pull I reverse Kyurem, Eelektrik, and Full Art Victini amongst some other nice cards.

On the ferry ride home I come up with the deck's new name; Club Zekrom. I had already decided the Genies were bouncers and decided Eelektrik could be a DJ, I remembered the promo art of Zekrom looked like a Dj as well.

On the shop's website they didn't mention Crygonal in my deck, I asked them to change it but they couldn't, so much for Crygonal being a $1-2 card, or at least raising some eyebrows of netdeckers. BTW don't run my list as its bad, about 5 cards were devoted to putting my opponents on tilt.

Club Zekrom

I forgot to include my Props/slops section, and I had a lot of props/slops (mostly props)

Props: Getting second, having the most fun playing the TCG I've ever had, my opponents for having fun, good trades, the ride over and back, opening great in the packs I won, compliments on our hats, second breakfast, Eviolite Tynamo, Crygonal donk, finding a new deck I love, and just having a great day overall.

Slops: Not including Emolga in my deck list, I could have been disqualified for that. One of my friends got a double game lose.

K, legitimate discussion topic time:

Palace Rules:

What do people think of introducing Palace Rules (DP-BW3) to NA? How this system works is it assigns a * rating to more broken cards and limits a deck to 4*'s worth of cards. You can see a list of the * cards here: http://www.pokemon-card.com/howto/dendo/

It's a Japanese tournament style picking up steam. More interesting, it offers a metagame that's less restricted than the current 8 set rotation, without allowing stupid-broken combos. Frankly, I'd be very interested in trying to help promote Palace Rules tournaments in NA and seeing it played more. edit: I found what the Mysterious Pearl and Miracle Diamond cards are. The Battle road spring promo cards worth 4*. Do you think any cards with * ratings shouldn't be included on that list? Any that are worth too much? Any that SHOULD be included, but aren't (keeping in mind the larger metagame)?

chandelure definitely wants tropical beach, since it won't be attacking every turn

im still playing TZPS though so i should be discouraging tropical beach from being played lol

also, you definitely want to add energy onto it, status is amazing in the current format

ZPST eh? With decks like CAKE gaining popularity, I can't see it doing too well anymore considering there are so many decks with 130HP pokemon. At the same time, I know no one runs ZPST where I live, and I've started to worry less about playing 2 basics at once. But I still play at least 2 basics at the start of every game if I can.

Hey smogoners, I'm bumping this oldish thread because I need some help with a really (and I mean really) stupid deck I'm trying to make for my friend.

Pokemon - 17
1 - Cleffa (guess)
2 - Uxie (legends awakened)
2 - Spiritomb (Arceus)
3 - Drifloon (DP Majestic Dawn)
3 - Drifblim (HS Undaunted)
3 - Porygon (great encounters)
3 - Porygon2 (great encounters)

Trainers - 36
4 - Seeker
3 - Giant Stump
3 - Scott
4 - Computer Search
4 - Item Finder
4 - Erika
2 - Broken time-space
2 - Surprise! Time Machine
4 - Professor oak
4 - level ball
2 - pokemon retriever

Energy - 7
4 - Call Energy
3 - Boost Energy

The gist of this deck is to set up drifblim with boost energy so he's ready to take out their active pokemon. Then, using seeker + porygon2 + S!TM + big stump, get rid of their 3 benched pokemon. Porygon2 returning to your hand or using S!TM resets the "once per turn" limit of its pokemon power, and broken time-space allows same-turn evolutions. Scott + item finder helps to ensure Seeker is always in your hand when pory2 is ready to cheat.

#1. I don't care about vileplume/trainer lockdown crap (lol spiritomb)
#2. I don't care about tournaments, mostly I just want this deck to work in a vacuum.
#3. I do kinda care about over-expensive cards (the most expensive card here is under $4 each).
#4. Does anybody think I would benefit from some warp or rescue energy?
#5. I have a terrible suspicion that I'm missing something obvious that makes this combo impossible, or forgetting an obvious card that would streamline this deck perfectly.

So yea, this deck needs help... I really want to use Blim over Jungle Pidgeot because rare candy slows down the deck even worse (and it's outrageously expensive), and boost energy doesn't work nearly as well with hurricane. Spiritomb is in because as a starter it will almost always give you the first turn of the game that a player can use trainers (either they kill it or you retreat it), and the first attack ain't too shabby for setting up the combo quickly either.

What do you dying-breed TCG players think? I'm sure this decktype has been explored before...

*reviving tcg thread*

Hey smogon, I'm trying to get back into the tcg, and wondered if you have any tips or anything. I've done research and know about the huge basics and how they're dominating the metagame, but I don't really have any firsthand experience. If you have any suggestions for noobs, please share them! :)

I want to make a deck around the Hydreigon I have. I thought something like
Chameleon said:
Hydreigon
Cofagriugus (Damagriiigus)
Reuniclus (damage transfer) or some other psychic
Bisharp
Darkrai Ex (from Dark Rush, when it comes out) (EDIT: Whoa that's expensive. No buying that. :P)
Colorless basics like Druddigon or Tornadus

Dark Patch + Professor Juniper could accelerate some energy.
Could it work? Or will I just get Bolt Striked and Blue Flared to death because my deck isn't fast enough?
No Luck Involved said:
Hey, I just have a quick question: are there any Fighting type cards that are weak to Water type?
Dugtrio strikes me as one. There could be more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)