Pokemon Gold and Silver 3DS Virtual Console: Back to the Future 2(000)!

If you have something that can OHKO the entire league, and give it the Amulet Coin, league runs are worth a cool P45800 each. Barring Coin Case or similar setups where you clone or outright fabricate a bunch of valuable items, nothing else comes close to that rate of return.

I haven't released the legendary beasts yet from the Burned Tower, as I'm considering of trying to get either Raikou or Suicune as shiny. Once I release them, will their IV's be generated after the release or once I confront them? Also, once confronted or released, are the IV's set to whatever they are at that point or will they change within every encounter?

The IVs for Entei are not set until the first time you encounter Entei in the wild, and thereafter they will not change in any subsequent encounters with it. This doesn't affect the IVs on the others, which are not generated until the separate event where you encounter them for the first time, so you can afford to manipulate each one separately.

The IVs for Entei are not set until the first time you encounter Entei in the wild, and thereafter they will not change in any subsequent encounters with it. This doesn't affect the IVs on the others, which are not generated until the separate event where you encounter them for the first time, so you can afford to manipulate each one separately.
Thanks. I can safely go and release them from the Burned Tower then.

E: I was surprised to see how easy breeding is in this gen. Just bred Skarmory with 15/15/15/15/15 IV's and it has Drill Peck and Whirlwind as egg moves. I caught Fearow on Red, made sure it will be male with its Attack IV (also made sure his Def/Special weren't 15), taught him Whirlwind via TM and then traded it to Silver. In Silver, I caught a Spearow with 15 Defense and Special and then proceeded to pass those to a female Skarmory through breeding. Once I hatched a female Skarmory with 15 Def/Special I started the actual breeding process with the Drill Peck/Whirlwind Fearow yesterday and I got the perfect IV Skarmory today.

Last edited:
Is there anyone else having a horrid time SR'ing Ho-oh or Lugia? I've been at it almost three weeks now and still going.
made an account just to say you can do it! Shiny Ho Oh on my Gold was the first time I eve soft reset for a legendary. yes it was brutal (a week and a half straight of hundreds of soft resets. Didn't keep track of total). I almost just gave up but then found it the next night! Don't think I will be doing Lugia (don't have Silver to get a lvl 40 version and I can't do another time commitment like that LOL) but I am looking forward to breeding more shinies. Got Eeevee, Horsea, Ditto (gen 1 trade glitch), and my first random encounter shiny (fishing for Krabby) since White 2! Gold has been a blast and has been good to me! Just need to beat Mt Silver and track down Suicune. Then I am ready to breed some more shinies!

made an account just to say you can do it! Shiny Ho Oh on my Gold was the first time I eve soft reset for a legendary. yes it was brutal (a week and a half straight of hundreds of soft resets. Didn't keep track of total). I almost just gave up but then found it the next night! Don't think I will be doing Lugia (don't have Silver to get a lvl 40 version and I can't do another time commitment like that LOL) but I am looking forward to breeding more shinies. Got Eeevee, Horsea, Ditto (gen 1 trade glitch), and my first random encounter shiny (fishing for Krabby) since White 2! Gold has been a blast and has been good to me! Just need to beat Mt Silver and track down Suicune. Then I am ready to breed some more shinies!
Another week gone and I'm still at it. Thank goodness it makes no difference which ball you catch it in or else I'd be trying to get it in a Kurt Ball too. Planning to SR for Lugia next.

My sister managed to get a good Ho-oh (15/11/15/13/15) which is on par with my Articuno (15/11/13/15/15) I'm gonna try to get a good Lugia at some stage. Sometimes I can be good at tolerating the (Poke)monotony but recently I can just about put up with resetting for a Male Suds coz I know he'll have >7 Attack :/

Are people listing DVS HP/Atk/Def/Speed/Spec like me and Gen 1 or HP/Atk/Def/SA/SD/Speed like Gen 2? I know it's redundant to list both Specials coz they're twin stats.

I'm trying to get a Lucky Egg in Silver, as I want to get all the rare items and damn is it tedious. The only way to get a Lucky Egg is from wild Chanseys. I have a lvl 25 Scyther with False Swipe and Leer as my only team member while catching them, as I always catch five of them, then soft reset and try again once I've checked their (lacking) items. I use Max Repels and the only lvl 25 encounters are Chanseys and Pidgeottos (day) or Noctowls (night). The Repels eliminate all of the most common encounters like Nidorinos, Nidorinas etc. Chanseys have a 1% encounter rate regularly, but the Repel trick makes them a bit more common. According to Bulbapedia they have an 8% (1/12.5) chance of holding a Lucky Egg and acccording to Serebii, a 5% (1/20) chance. I've caught about 30-35 Chanseys so far and none of them have had Lucky Egg. Am I just having extremely bad luck, as according to Bulbapedia's and Serebii's (whichever is right) probabilities I should have already gotten at least one?

The probability of missing a 5% chance 35 times in a row is about 16.6%, so you're having only a little bad luck. To get that chance down to 1% or lower you'd have to catch 90 Chanseys.

The probability of missing a 5% chance 35 times in a row is about 16.6%, so you're having only a little bad luck. To get that chance down to 1% or lower you'd have to catch 90 Chanseys.
Yeah, apparently so. I did manage to get a shiny Hoppip while doing this though, so that's nice (it was before I started to use Max Repels in the first couple of hours of trying). It was actually my third shiny in this save file already, not counting the Red Gyarados obviously. I got two shiny Abras very early on in the game in Goldenrod's Game Corner. I wasn't trying to get a shiny Abra at all, just one with decent IV's, but then ended up getting the other shiny Abra to my ingame team, and now it's a lvl 66 Alakazam. It's IV's ended up being 8/15/10/10/10, the other shiny had 0/x/10/10/10 (never bothered to check its Attack and I traded it to my friend anyway).

I'm trying to get a Lucky Egg in Silver, as I want to get all the rare items and damn is it tedious. The only way to get a Lucky Egg is from wild Chanseys. I have a lvl 25 Scyther with False Swipe and Leer as my only team member while catching them, as I always catch five of them, then soft reset and try again once I've checked their (lacking) items. I use Max Repels and the only lvl 25 encounters are Chanseys and Pidgeottos (day) or Noctowls (night). The Repels eliminate all of the most common encounters like Nidorinos, Nidorinas etc. Chanseys have a 1% encounter rate regularly, but the Repel trick makes them a bit more common. According to Bulbapedia they have an 8% (1/12.5) chance of holding a Lucky Egg and acccording to Serebii, a 5% (1/20) chance. I've caught about 30-35 Chanseys so far and none of them have had Lucky Egg. Am I just having extremely bad luck, as according to Bulbapedia's and Serebii's (whichever is right) probabilities I should have already gotten at least one?
I also did this with the repel trick. I had a level 25 lead that knew thief which is a lot better than having to catch every Chansey IMO. I went into the patch of grass that you need cut to get into from the giant fence maze that's in between that and the water. Think it's Route 13. I stood in the top left corner of the grass and "walked" (into the walls) up and left so I didn't have to keep using Repels. Still probably took about 2 to 3 hours but I did it in the background of watching TV. Probably the best way to do however since you don't have to go into the menu to use repels and thief is faster than catching. Good luck!

I also did this with the repel trick. I had a level 25 lead that knew thief which is a lot better than having to catch every Chansey IMO. I went into the patch of grass that you need cut to get into from the giant fence maze that's in between that and the water. Think it's Route 13. I stood in the top left corner of the grass and "walked" (into the walls) up and left so I didn't have to keep using Repels. Still probably took about 2 to 3 hours but I did it in the background of watching TV. Probably the best way to do however since you don't have to go into the menu to use repels and thief is faster than catching. Good luck!
Thanks, the corner thing never came to my mind but it sure is convenient now that I don't have to go to the menu to use Repels all the time.

E: After 7 hours and an additional 52 Chanseys, still not a single Lucky Egg... The total number of Chanseys I've captured/used Thief on is somewhere around 82-87 now. This is starting to get ridiculous...

Last edited:
Thanks, the corner thing never came to my mind but it sure is convenient now that I don't have to go to the menu to use Repels all the time.

E: After 7 hours and an additional 52 Chanseys, still not a single Lucky Egg... The total number of Chanseys I've captured/used Thief on is somewhere around 82-87 now. This is starting to get ridiculous...
The irony of being extremely unlucky trying to get a Lucky Egg. My other sister caught a Chansey for the Dex and it just so happened to be holding a Lucky Egg. I remember spending 11 hours robbing Chansey on Diamond, prelite 4 :/

Finally, FINALLY a Lucky Egg! It was the 79th Chansey I encountered in the last two days. Before that, I had encountered around 30-35, so the total number ended up being somewhere between 109 and 114 Chanseys, but I finally got it! Phew, this was an extremely cruel task.

Last edited:
I’ve been using a Scyther on Silver (M/Good Attack n Speed/Everything else sucks) and he learns wing attack at level 30. I need to get a Metal Coat off a Magnemite and then trade with 1 of my sisters at level 30 so that Scizor learns Metal Claw. (I want to get the metal coat myself because it feels more genuine)

I had even worse luck with Farfetch'd. The 246th Farfetch'd finally had a Stick, but this didn't take as long because they were a lot more common than Chanseys.

Last edited:

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
Fun fact for you fellow Americans going through the DST change: apparently the clock in the VC games automatically updates whenever you edit your 3DS’s clock via system settings. Changing the DST setting via your mom is no longer necessary, unless you’re trying to trigger swarms. It’s also another method to changing the time for events like the Bug Catching Contest and Sunday Return TMs w/o having to deal with that stupid password system.

I was wondering which trainers are the best ones for rematch purposes in PokéGear, as you can only add 8 numbers (Mom and Elm's number's can't be removed). Couldn't find a simple list that had all of the trainers that you can have a rematch against listed with their final teams, so I created one, the sources being my own game, Serebii and Bulbapedia. If there are any mistakes or something's missing, feel free to note so I can edit the list. All of the trainers are listed with their final teams:

Route 30: Youngster Joey - Raticate (Lv.21)

Route 31: Bug Catcher Wade - Butterfree (Lv.14), Butterfree (Lv.14), Beedrill (Lv.15), Butterfree (Lv.14)

Route 32: Picnicker Liz - Weepinbell (Lv.19), Nidorino (Lv.19), Nidoqueen (Lv.21)

Route 32: Fisher Ralph - Qwilfish (Lv.17), Goldeen (Lv.19)

Route 33: Hiker Anthony - Graveler (Lv.25), Graveler (Lv.27), Machoke (Lv.29)

Route 34: Picnicker Gina - Skiploom (Lv.26), Skiploom (Lv.26), Ivysaur (Lv.29)

Route 34: Camper Todd - Geodude (Lv.23), Geodude (Lv.23), Psyduck (Lv.26)

Route 35: Bug Catcher Arnie - Venomoth (Lv.28)

Route 35: Juggler Irwin - Voltorb (Lv.18), Voltorb (Lv.22), Voltorb (Lv.26), Electrode (Lv.30)

National Park: Pokéfan Beverly - Granbull (Lv.30)

National Park: Schoolboy Jack - Gloom (Lv.28), Electrode (Lv.31)

Route 36: Schoolboy Alan - Natu (Lv.20), Tangela (Lv.22), Quagsire (Lv.20), Yanma (Lv.25)

Route 38: Lass Dana - Psyduck (Lv.29), Ampharos (Lv.29)

Route 38: Schoolboy Chad - Mr. Mime (Lv.27), Magneton (Lv.31)

Route 39: Pokéfan Derek - Pikachu (Lv.36)

Lighthouse: Sailor Huey - Poliwhirl (Lv.34), Poliwrath (Lv.34)

Route 42: Fisher Chris - Goldeen (Lv.32), Goldeen (Lv.32), Qwilfish (Lv.34)

Route 43: Picnicker Tiffany - Clefairy (Lv.37)

Route 43: PokéManiac Brent - Nidoran-M (Lv.28), Nidoran-F (Lv.28), Nidorina (Lv.30), Nidoking (Lv.32)

Route 44: Bird Keeper Vance - Pidgeotto (Lv.35), Pidgeot (Lv.37)

Route 44: Fisher Wilton - Goldeen (Lv.31), Seaking (Lv.35), Seaking (Lv.35)

Route 45: Black Belt Kenji - Onix (Lv.30), Machamp (Lv.37), Onix (Lv.30), Hitmonlee (Lv.35)

Route 45: Hiker Parry - Onix (Lv.38)

Route 46: Picnicker Erin - Ponyta (Lv.36), Ponyta (Lv.36)

Route 26: Cooltrainer Gaven - Victreebel (Lv.38), Kingler (Lv.38), Flareon (Lv.38)

Route 26: Cooltrainer Beth - Rapidash (Lv.42)

Route 27: Bird Keeper Jose - Farfetch’d (Lv.41)

Route 27: Cooltrainer Reena - Starmie (Lv.37), Nidoqueen (Lv.39), Starmie (Lv.37)

Last edited:
When I started playing Silver back in September I caught Gastly from Sprout Tower before I beat the Violet City Gym. I spent about an hour trying to catch one with good IV's. All of the Gastlys in Sprout Tower were Level 3-6 if I remember correctly, so obviously I couldn't tell the exact IV's for them because their levels were so low. Wasn't of course looking for a perfect IV one, as having a wild Pokémon with perfect IV's has a 1/65536 chance of happening, so it would be way too time consuming to do such a thing. I only caught Level 5 and 6 Male Gastlys, as males have better Attack. Gengar's Attack isn't that great, but it gets STAB for Shadow Ball which is nice for Psychic types so I decided to get one with good Attack. I saved inside the Sprout Tower, caught 4 Gastlys, checked their IV's and then reset the game when I had checked them. So after about an hour I got a Level 5 Gastly with its stats being the following:

HP: 19 (possible IV's: 10-15)
Atk: 10 (possible IV's: 15)
Def: 9 (possible IV's: 10-15)
SpA: 16 (possible IV's: 15)
SpD: 10 (possible IV's 15)
Spe: 14 (possible IV's 10-15)

Those were the max stats for a Level 5 Gastly so obviously I took it to my ingame team. Yesterday I beat Red at Mt. Silver and I have now done everything in the game, except caught the Legendaries and overall Dex filling. That same Gastly is now a Level 81 Gengar and for fun I decided to check its exact IV's. It didn't have quite the max Stat Experience yesterday, so I decided to max it's Stat Exp. first. So I already knew that its Attack and Special IV's are exactly 15, but all the others were somewhere between 10 and 15. Well, turns out that exactly all of its IV's are 15! Talk about damn good luck, as again, this has a 1/65536 chance (which is exactly 8 times rarer than finding a shiny Pokémon) of happening on wild Pokémon. Again, I caught this as a wild Gastly on Sprout Tower, so I didn't breed it, didn't use any glitches, modification (I don't even know how to use e.g. arbitrary code execution in Gold/Silver and I don't think it can be used to modify IV's in Gold/Silver) etc.

Here's proof of the Gengar. I took the pictures with my phone yesterday first when it was Lv.79 and did not yet have quite the max Stat Experience and then at Lv.81 when it has max Stat Exp. When it was on Level 79 it didn't have max Stat Exp on HP and Special. The reason I took a picture of it when it didn't have max Stat Exp. yet is to show that this has actually been caught and leveled up naturally, because once it has max Stat Exp., one could think I could have just traded Gengar to Pokémon Yellow and maxed out its stats with the w sm glitch item. (I don't think it's possible to max out only certain Stat Exp. with w sm and even if it is, I have no clue how to do it as I know nothing about coding.)

Last edited:
Great catch! Shame it´s IVs will change when you trade him to (U)S/(U)M :-(
Thanks! I won't transfer it at all to gen 7 games, as it would just become another Gengar with crappy IV's. (Besides, I already have max IV, shiny Gengars with Timid nature and different Hidden Powers I've RNG abused.)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)