Pokémon Red, Blue and Yellow to be re-released for the 3DS Virtual Console

I'm not exactly sure the answers to these questions, however there are some great resources online such as bulbapedia or serebii and psypokes iv/dv calculators that you can use to find out pretty easily for any Pokemon. For reference, a link to one is attached below

http://www.psypokes.com/gsc/dv.php
I could've sworn I added that exact link to my post before submitting, but the reason I wasn't sure about using it was because the badges boost your stats in Gen I. If these calcs are assuming you beat the game, it might mess up some things. I'm starting tomorrow though, so I'll use it if necessary.

I could've sworn I added that exact link to my post before submitting, but the reason I wasn't sure about using it was because the badges boost your stats in Gen I. If these calcs are assuming you beat the game, it might mess up some things. I'm starting tomorrow though, so I'll use it if necessary.
Hmm, yeah I'm sorry I'm not sure about the badges thing. Hopefully someone else can answer your question. I might try asking it on the OI questions "have a question, ask it here" thread, since I believe more people check up on that one. Good luck!

Hmm, yeah I'm sorry I'm not sure about the badges thing. Hopefully someone else can answer your question. I might try asking it on the OI questions "have a question, ask it here" thread, since I believe more people check up on that one. Good luck!
I actually just learned what I was asking about last night, so I'm good now. Thanks for helping though!

Well there goes my perfect DV glitch in Red and Yellow. Hyper training just made it useless for transfers... Not that I'm complaining though. Hyper Training's great overall.

Decided to try and solo Blue with Bulbasaur. I figured the gyms would be a breeze but it doesn't help that it doesn't get Vine Whip until 12. Oh and PP has been a problem. Due to the NPC's having infinite PP, I actually had to Struggle to win a battle since I was all out of usable attacks.

Decided to try and solo Blue with Bulbasaur. I figured the gyms would be a breeze but it doesn't help that it doesn't get Vine Whip until 12. Oh and PP has been a problem. Due to the NPC's having infinite PP, I actually had to Struggle to win a battle since I was all out of usable attacks.
??? Bulbasaur learns Vine Whip at Lv13. Why do you need it though? You can cheese Brock with Leech Seed and Growl

Been replaying Red lately and enjoying the trip down memory lane, though I am certainly more appreciative of the later gens now.

On a side note, the long trainer glitch is netting me so many Pokemon for upload to Sun/Moon. I'm rocking Lv 7 Gyarados and Dragonite, Chansey, and more. I've also got 2 Mew, each level 7, for transfer into Sun and Moon respectively.

I just accidentally removed Pokémon Yellow from my device. When I downloaded and installed it again, my save file was gone. I'm guessing there's no way to recover it, right?

I just accidentally removed Pokémon Yellow from my device. When I downloaded and installed it again, my save file was gone. I'm guessing there's no way to recover it, right?
I'd quite like to know this too, actually - Nintendo replaced my DS recently, and left my files as they were, but unique to Blue, the game won't start up past the "Nintendo 3DS" screen. I'd uninstall it if I thought I wouldn't lose my save. *Hopefully*, when Bank updates I can move my Pokemon over without accessing the game, even if they're in my party!

Timely update: after having another go, I found out the eshop has a Software Repair Tool that checks for errors, redownloads the software, and leaves the save file alone. Tried it, and all my stuff was still there, working fine. That's only helpful if you still have the original data, I'm assuming, though :(

Timely update: after having another go, I found out the eshop has a Software Repair Tool that checks for errors, redownloads the software, and leaves the save file alone. Tried it, and all my stuff was still there, working fine. That's only helpful if you still have the original data, I'm assuming, though :(
Shit... Well I'm guessing there's no way for me to recover that save file :(

Given what we now know about how Bank is handling shinies, can someone come up with ACE to get a guaranteed shiny once transferred?

No Guard Fissure Machamp isn't going to be a thing, sadly :( if a Pokemon has a hidden ability, it is guaranteed to have it upon transfer (according to Serebii).

I suppose it would probably make sense to put down here everything that happens when a Pokémon is transferred from Gen 1 to Bank.
This is all straight from Serebii btw; just to give credit.

With Version 1.2, the ability to transfer from the Virtual Console versions of Pokémon Red, Blue & Yellow appears and with that, the Pokémon will be sent up. As the backend of the Pokémon are a lot different, there are some notable changes. First, the Pokémon will have a unique symbol in their status screen of a GameBoy showing that they are from the Virtual Console games.

The following also happens

• Ability - If a Pokémon has one, it will have its Hidden Ability, else it'll have its standard ability
  • Nature - Nature is chosen based on the Experience of the Pokémon in the Generation 1 game
  • IVs - A Pokémon will hve a guaranteed 3 maximum IVs. The rest are determined randomly
  • Gender - Random
  • Effort Values - Erased
  • Shiny - Based on the IVs of the Pokémon in Generation 1: 10 in Attack, Special & Speed and Defense a multiple of 2 = Shiny

On natures: When transferring from Pokémon Red, Green, Blue or Yellow, the Pokémon's nature is determined by dividing the experience the Pokémon has by 25. Then, using the remainder of that, you can determine the nature so if the remainder is 10, then it is Timid, or if it's 0, it is Hardy.

Serebii's full guide for Natures (Gen 1 remainder column): http://www.serebii.net/games/natures.shtml

In addition, something they didn't write is that to differentiate from Pokémon transferred all the way from FRLG, the status screen will say "Seems to have been met for the first time in the Kanto region in the good old days."

Which, btw, is friggin adorable imo

Hey guys, I found a way to manipulate DVs individually in Gen 1 to force shininess when transferring to Gen 7! Apparently, Poke Bank uses DVs to determine shininess of Gen 1 Pokemon. If Speed, Special, Atk and Def DVs of a Gen 1 Pokemon are all equal to 10, it will be shiny when transferred!

I recorded the process and actually made it on the first try!

The process is ridiculously tedious though, you have been warned. But is it worth it? That depends. In my opinion, it is worth it.

Hey guys, I found a way to manipulate DVs individually in Gen 1 to force shininess when transferring to Gen 7! Apparently, Poke Bank uses DVs to determine shininess of Gen 1 Pokemon. If Speed, Special, Atk and Def DVs of a Gen 1 Pokemon are all equal to 10, it will be shiny when transferred!

The process is ridiculously tedious though, you have been warned. But is it worth it? That depends. In my opinion, it is worth it.
How do people figure these glitches out? lmao that's incredible

Also, since natures are determined by EXP mod 25, that pretty much means we can pick the nature we want upon transfer.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
No Guard Fissure Machamp isn't going to be a thing, sadly :( if a Pokemon has a hidden ability, it is guaranteed to have it upon transfer (according to Serebii).
Well look on the bright side, this also means easy Drought Vulpix/Ninetales, Drizzle Politoed, Magic Guard Abra/Kadabra/Alakazam, Regenerator Slowpoke/Slowbro/Slowking, Cloud Nine Lickitung/Lickilicky, Moxie Gyarados, Imposter Ditto, Hydration Vaporeon, Magic Bounce Espeon, Pixilate Sylveon, and Multiscale Dragonite. :)

As for the mechanics behind the transfer, I'd say it makes sense for the most part. Particularly Nature is a clever idea, it's something easily manipulated so with effort, time, and luck you can get the Nature you want. Shiny though is a bit odd, why not just make it random? Do they want it to be manipulatable? Would kind of devalue Gen I Shinies.

Oh shoot. I forgot about that - some of the very hard to get hidden abilities are now easy to get. And we can manipulate the legendary bird ones if we so wish to use them too.

Well look on the bright side, this also means easy Drought Vulpix/Ninetales, Drizzle Politoed, Magic Guard Abra/Kadabra/Alakazam, Regenerator Slowpoke/Slowbro/Slowking, Cloud Nine Lickitung/Lickilicky, Moxie Gyarados, Imposter Ditto, Hydration Vaporeon, Magic Bounce Espeon, Pixilate Sylveon, and Multiscale Dragonite. :)

As for the mechanics behind the transfer, I'd say it makes sense for the most part. Particularly Nature is a clever idea, it's something easily manipulated so with effort, time, and luck you can get the Nature you want. Shiny though is a bit odd, why not just make it random? Do they want it to be manipulatable? Would kind of devalue Gen I Shinies.
The shininess is the same same way it was determined in GSC, so maybe to preserve shininess if they rerelease those on VC.

now can we get the same with red and blue please?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Oh, Missingno, will your glitching antics ever end? Seems like Bank will prevent Missingno from being transferred... but Missingno isn't going without a fight. Though Bank has prevented Misisingno from transferring (calling it a "Problematic Pokemon"), if you have any other Pokemon in the Box with it they'll transfer but with one minor hitch: their names have been shifted by one. The first Pokemon in the box will be named "MISSINGNO-", the Pokemon next to them will have that Pokemon's name (be it a nickname of the Pokemon's species), and so on.

Also some sad news, a glitched Mew won't transfer, only ones received via the Event that gave it out. :(

I'm not in a position to test this, but someone on Reddit has posted a method of arbitrary code execution that will make a glitch Mew "legitimate". I didn't see anyone who disputed the method, but I didn't see anyone else who had tried it, either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)