Pokémon Red, Blue and Yellow to be re-released for the 3DS Virtual Console

Thought this might be an interesting thing to show, some of you may have already seen it since it's trending on r/pokemon right now.

http://i.imgur.com/dmST7Ia.jpg

Graphical representation of Pokemon memory through the ages! The reason I bring it up is because of the news regarding RBY 'mons getting moved up to Sun and Moon. All that added stuff (assuming there's no massive changes in how Sun and Moon store data) between gens 1 and 6 is going to have to be newed up in the transition, while EVs, IVs and Stats (and possibly nicknames depending on filter) are gonna have to be recalculated. It's obviously doable, but those who felt that the Pokemon they'd have in SM aren't the same ones that they'd have in RBY are proportionally correct. I don't mind though. Your Pokemon get overwritten any time they get traded anyway. Classic Teleportation dilemma.

Graphical representation of Pokemon memory through the ages! The reason I bring it up is because of the news regarding RBY 'mons getting moved up to Sun and Moon. All that added stuff (assuming there's no massive changes in how Sun and Moon store data) between gens 1 and 6 is going to have to be newed up in the transition, while EVs, IVs and Stats (and possibly nicknames depending on filter) are gonna have to be recalculated. It's obviously doable, but those who felt that the Pokemon they'd have in SM aren't the same ones that they'd have in RBY are proportionally correct. I don't mind though. Your Pokemon get overwritten any time they get traded anyway. Classic Teleportation dilemma.
I've actually been really curious how they're going to handle the EV situation. Either they'll be wiped clean, I imagine, or sixth gen has a revamped data structure for EVs (less likely).

I'm also curious about what will control Nature. If it's random or controlled by some combination of unchangeable factors it'll translate from, trading competitive Pokemon directly up from gen 1 may be virtually impossible.

I saw that the Old Man Glitch and Escape Glitch were mentioned upon skimming this thread.

I am incredibly relieved.

Can we still underflow the items in the bag to get an 8F, carry 20 TM34s and 46 each of TM46 and TM15, swap the places of TM17 and TM15, use the 8F before jumping off a ledge to enable walk through walls, swap TM17 and TM15 again, toss TM34 until you only have one, then get on the bike and use 8F in a bunch of specific positions and program a game of Pong into the RAM and play it?

Can we still underflow the items in the bag to get an 8F, carry 20 TM34s and 46 each of TM46 and TM15, swap the places of TM17 and TM15, use the 8F before jumping off a ledge to enable walk through walls, swap TM17 and TM15 again, toss TM34 until you only have one, then get on the bike and use 8F in a bunch of specific positions and program a game of Pong into the RAM and play it?
Presumably yes. I haven't seen a footage of that on 3DS, but arbitrary code execution is still possible and the code of the game isn't altered, so whatever you can do in an emulator, you can do in the 3DS version.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I know I should be making videos that are more useful, but whatever. This took me the longest time ever to make. Very good reference if you plan to do the Mew glitch.
Also want to share this, could prove to be useful to original gameboy owners, but not so much for 3DS. However, if you want to use the glitch to teach other moves, then it becomes very useful for 3DS.

Actually yes, if you backread a little bit, we had an entire page of discussion about that. :)

If I get this game on my 3DS, then I won't use the Mew glitch or any other glitch because I'm Lazy and I don't know how to. With most pokemon games now that I start I usually do a nuzlocke.

If I get this game on my 3DS, then I won't use the Mew glitch or any other glitch because I'm Lazy and I don't know how to. With most pokemon games now that I start I usually do a nuzlocke.
The Mew and especially the MissingNo glitches are inanely easy to do. The MissingNo one is literally talk to the old man who teaches you how to catch pokemon, go to Cinnabar island, surf up and down the vertical water to the right of cinnabar and you run into MissingNo or another glitchmon. And then through that the sixth item in your bag is multiplied.

I did the Mew Glitch on my first ever playthrough of Yellow and it was very easy to do. Try it, Mew's worth it.
And trust me, I'm also lazy.

I'd say it would take more effort doing a Nuzlocke than the Missingo or Mew glitch.
Well first I'd need to look up the right video as I don't have a good enough memory whereas I just have the other games with me. Some glitches require certain Pokemon to do so I'd to find them...

Well first I'd need to look up the right video as I don't have a good enough memory whereas I just have the other games with me. Some glitches require certain Pokemon to do so I'd to find them...
The Mew Glitch is a very short video and only requires you to get an Abra (though it's also recommended you get a Pokémon with sleep powder to catch it and Mew, like Butterfree).

Not sure if it has been posted in this thread previously but this infographic was EXTREMELY helpful in my journey to catching Mew after I had already defeated all the usual trainers which are shown in tutorials, etc. Once you learn how to exploit it (using wild Ditto and the correct pokemon in your party), you can also use the same glitch to catch ANY pokemon in the game so it's worth taking the time to understand it.

http://puu.sh/257S

Not sure if it has been posted in this thread previously but this infographic was EXTREMELY helpful in my journey to catching Mew after I had already defeated all the usual trainers which are shown in tutorials, etc. Once you learn how to exploit it (using wild Ditto and the correct pokemon in your party), you can also use the same glitch to catch ANY pokemon in the game so it's worth taking the time to understand it.

http://puu.sh/257S
Yeah, that actually made my video worthless: Pokemon RBY: ALL Trainer Fly Glitch Locations
I know I already linked that on my previous post, but whatever. I've already finished recording each part when I saw that infographic. So I still edited and uploaded it, would be a waste not to.
After comparing that with my video, I saw one mistake, the Rocket Trainer in Mt. Moon is not Trainer Flyable.

Yeah, that actually made my video worthless: Pokemon RBY: ALL Trainer Fly Glitch Locations
I know I already linked that on my previous post, but whatever. I've already finished recording each part when I saw that infographic. So I still edited and uploaded it, would be a waste not to.
After comparing that with my video, I saw one mistake, the Rocket Trainer in Mt. Moon is not Trainer Flyable.
Good effort on those videos, I really appreciate them.

Thanks so much jelome1989, I saw your 8F and w sm videos on YouTube and decided to try getting the w sm and mess around with it. I've been using the max DV/EV and item duping tricks and they work like a charm. However, I have one question about w sm and specifically the max DV/EV trick.

I noticed that there is a somewhat noticable lag, when I check the maxed out Pokémons' stats on PC. If I have the maxed out Pokémon in my party and I check their stats, there isn't any lag when I check their stats. I wonder why this happens? Can the game actually tell that the maxed out Pokémon are hacked, glitched or something like that?

However, I have one question about w sm and specifically the max DV/EV trick.

I noticed that there is a somewhat noticable lag, when I check the maxed out Pokémons' stats on PC. If I have the maxed out Pokémon in my party and I check their stats, there isn't any lag when I check their stats. I wonder why this happens? Can the game actually tell that the maxed out Pokémon are hacked, glitched or something like that?
You should experience the same lag when looking up the stats of any Pokemon in the PC compared to the party; the game stores raw stats while in the party but in the PC it needs to recalculate them based on base stats, DVs, and Stat Exp (this is how the box trick works). What mechanism could a game like RBY even use to determine glitched-DV Pokemon?

You should experience the same lag when looking up the stats of any Pokemon in the PC compared to the party; the game stores raw stats while in the party but in the PC it needs to recalculate them based on base stats, DVs, and Stat Exp (this is how the box trick works). What mechanism could a game like RBY even use to determine glitched-DV Pokemon?
Actually, when I check the stats of regular (non-maxed out) Pokémon, the lag is much shorter. Does the game simply take longer to recalculate the stats, if they are completely maxed out (both DV's and EV's)?

I was also thinking that there almost certainly isn't any kind of mechanism in RBY to detect glitched-DV (or hacked, if you want to call them that) Pokémon. Was just wondering the slightly longer lag.

That was your 1,000th post, just an FYI.

Also, the game may not be able to tell, but I get the feeling Bank might. Or might not.
I actually doubt that the Bank will be able to tell that either, if (or apparently when) there isn't any data in the games themselves that would indicate the glitchiness and the Pokémon is normal otherwise. One solution would be just straight out preventing the transfer of max DV Pokémon, but that would be stupid, as some might actually get them with regular means. I actually came close when playing Red on 3DS a couple weeks ago. I legitimately caught a 14/15/15/15/14 Snorlax and received a 11/15/14/15/15 Dratini in the Game Corner after a LOT of soft resetting.

Last edited:
I actually doubt that the Bank will be able to tell that either, if (or apparently when) there isn't any data in the games themselves that would indicate the glitchiness and the Pokémon is normal otherwise. One solution would be just straight out preventing the transfer of max DV Pokémon, but that would be stupid, as some might actually get them with regular means. I actually came close when playing Red on 3DS a couple weeks ago. I legitimately caught a 14/15/15/15/14 Snorlax and received a 11/15/14/15/15 Dratini in the Game Corner after a LOT of soft resetting.
What I'm thinking is it'll basically be like how genned/Powersaved mons clear Bank now--if it is possible in the games, no matter how remote the odds, it's legit enough.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)