Gen 8 Please give me advice on my Gen 8 OU team.

1. Clefable: I needed a Pokémon that could pass wish so that every Pokemon could recover HP in battle, and clefable's solid HP stat in with its defensive investment, bold nature and Magic Guard make it a reliable tank. Also, its defense stats are split to be evenly, both at 242. Also, life orb boosts its only attack to make up for lack of special attack investment, and magic guard prevents the damage taken from life orb. That attack being Moonblast, which is boosted by a stab.
Clefable @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 152 Def / 104 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Aromatherapy
- Moonblast
- Protect
- Wish
  1. Tyranitar: Ok, so I wanted a weather changer to slow down opposing teams' that are dependent on the weather. With no attack investment in EV'S, its physical attacks are still strong with a stat in attack of 304. Thunder Punch actually hits quite well, and helps wear down Pokemon overtime with Sand Stream. With max investment in HP, and heavy investment in defense and special defense is quite suitable to battle against other Pokemon. It also sets up stealth rock and uses Toxic quite effectively. It may not have a great stat total in special defense, which being 273 in total. In a sandstorm, that is boosted to 409. I also put substitute on it to stall opponents. I should also mention that the Iapapa berry is quite useful to boost health when it is in danger, and that is very useful when I don’t want to risk using clefable at that moment.
Tyranitar @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 148 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Substitute
- Thunder Punch
- Toxic
  1. Landorus - Therian: An amazing Pokémon. I’d be foolish not to use it. First of all, with no attack investment in EV'S, its physical attacks are still strong with a stat in attack of 326, which hits very hard. Intimidate is great for weakening the physical attacks on an opponent , so I did not see it as very practical to put much physical defense investment. I put a careful nature on it so that if I put the rest of the EV’S into HP and Special Defense so that I could have a very strong tank. Even with a strong physical opponent, rocky helmet punishes those who touch you, so It makes them not want to hit you as much, which can buy you opportunities to attack. Defog takes care of hazards, and makes your own attack more accurate. U-turn is a great attack to keep up momentum, and it has a great defensive typing despite its ice weakness. Intimidate partially makes up for that.
Landorus-Therian (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Defog
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
  1. Volcanian: I desperately needed a bulky and strong Pokémon who can double as a phaser, and Volcanian is an answer to that prayer. Both of its attacks rely on its stab and special attack, which is at a total of 301. Both of its defense stats are 301 as well, so this Pokémon is very good defensively. It also checks Pokémon who primarily use water type attacks, as it has water absorb, giving it an immunity. Its phasing ability in roar combined with substitute allows it to take hits and make opens switch out by force. Roar always almost goes last, and its speed isn’t great with this set, so I put a sassy nature on it to lower speed and boost its special defense so that its defenses would be equal.

Volcanion @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 156 HP / 100 Def / 20 SpA / 232 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Flamethrower
- Roar
- Scald
- Substitute
  1. Kartana: Speed and strength only, there’s not much I can say, except it’s extremely strong. I made it as fast as possible with a jolly nature. Knock off removes Items well, and any attack it uses with this set does huge damage most of the time, and its ability boosts its strength further when it gets a kill.
Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Smart Strike
  1. Dragapult: Medium risk, high reward. An adamant nature and complete investment in speed and attack make for many possibilities to outspend and heavily damage your opponent. Infiltrator is a great tool to get around extra defenses and screens an opponent lays up, but dragon dance is the real kicker. Phantom force breaks protection, substitute gives it a chance to use dragon dance, and dragon darts can hit more than once, which helps to work around Pokémon who are dependent on sturdy or focus sash.
Dragapult @ Leftovers
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Darts
- Phantom Force
- Substitute

I put this team into MyPokemonTeam.com. That way I could check if I had all my options for a balanced team fulfilled. Please know that I put hours of consideration, and work into this team and it’s the best one I have made this Far. My username on Pokemon Showdown is EdgyComrade. Please, battle me if you’d like. https://pokepast.es/e2b5aa980f65f6ca

This team feels very confused on what it wants to be. It has Pokemon like Clefable which are good on teams about longevity, without a team like that to back it up. It is also Life Orb, without the coverage that makes uninvested Life Orb actually pretty good, or even the also good invested set. Outside of Clefable, your team has two means of recovering, Leftovers on Dragapult and a berry on Tyranitar. And two Pokemon have Substitute, both of which lose health to Sandstorm.

Bulky Landorus-T is good, but you don't have the threats or longevity to make it as a pivot worth it. Heavy-Duty Boots Volcanion is not breaking, nor is uninvested Tyranitar, and Choice Scarf Kartana is going to get proc'd or walled by the many birds of defensive teams. It is good anti-offense, but a lot of offense Pokemon that requires Choice Scarf Kartana to beat are say, Dragapult, which no-Leftovers Landorus-T is not a good switch into. Your last threat is Leftovers Substitute DD Dragapult, and while it is strong it is also going to be relying on Phantom Force, making it, in my opinion, fairly unreliable. Only HO teams tend to run a DD set and usually with Fire Blast coverage to make it beat Pokemon like Corviknight or break past Melmetal.

A simple Balance core of like, Melmetal + Rillaboom + Toxapex eats this team alive.

If you want a Sand Balance, I recommend looking into those. In general, I cannot give concrete advice because I feel like it needs a lot of changes, but here is something somewhat like what you posted, with an empty slot

Something like this:

Untitled 57 (pokepast.es)

may be a good place to start?

This team feels very confused on what it wants to be. It has Pokemon like Clefable which are good on teams about longevity, without a team like that to back it up. It is also Life Orb, without the coverage that makes uninvested Life Orb actually pretty good, or even the also good invested set. Outside of Clefable, your team has two means of recovering, Leftovers on Dragapult and a berry on Tyranitar. And two Pokemon have Substitute, both of which lose health to Sandstorm.

Bulky Landorus-T is good, but you don't have the threats or longevity to make it as a pivot worth it. Heavy-Duty Boots Volcanion is not breaking, nor is uninvested Tyranitar, and Choice Scarf Kartana is going to get proc'd or walled by the many birds of defensive teams. It is good anti-offense, but a lot of offense Pokemon that requires Choice Scarf Kartana to beat are say, Dragapult, which no-Leftovers Landorus-T is not a good switch into. Your last threat is Leftovers Substitute DD Dragapult, and while it is strong it is also going to be relying on Phantom Force, making it, in my opinion, fairly unreliable. Only HO teams tend to run a DD set and usually with Fire Blast coverage to make it beat Pokemon like Corviknight or break past Melmetal.

A simple Balance core of like, Melmetal + Rillaboom + Toxapex eats this team alive.

If you want a Sand Balance, I recommend looking into those. In general, I cannot give concrete advice because I feel like it needs a lot of changes, but here is something somewhat like what you posted, with an empty slot

Something like this:

Untitled 57 (pokepast.es)

may be a good place to start?
thank you very much! I will consider changing my team up

Slowpoke Fan

Slow?
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
Changed a couple of Pokemon as well as some sets, hopefully it works well for you :psyglad:

Pokepaste: https://pokepast.es/f856e63e0cc4efac

Clefable is changed to the typical utility set because while wish passing is valuable, you want immediate recovery on such an important part of your defensive core and support moves such as thunder wave and knock off to enable your offensive core. Tyranitar runs a more standard specially defensive set so it can set up hazards multiple times in a game with leftovers recovery and more bulk investment (earthquake is very important for checking Heatran, which annoys your team otherwise with it's combination of earth power and magma storm). Dragapult wants immediate power on this type of structure as it wants to avoid sand chip as much as possible, so a modest choice specs set is preferred here, while Kartana uses a choice band set to maximise the team's breaking power with Clefable providing thunder wave support to slow down faster threats.

As for Pokemon that were changed, I swapped Volcanion and Landorus-Therian for Excadrill and Zapdos as the former abuses sand with sand rush to provide speed control in a pinch as well as sweep lategame, while Zapdos gives the team a Melmetal/grass offence/rain stopgap with its STAB combination and coverage in heat wave.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)