Programming Pikalytics - User Friendly Showdown Usage Stats

Hey all, long time lurker here.

I wanted to share my project I've been working on for about a year, Pikalytics. I've shared this project to r/stunfisk a couple times for some feedback, but thought you would be interested in seeing it here! The site is all based on Showdown Usage Stats, with the goal being to portray these in as friendly a manner as possible.
I've been through a number of iterations since I started the project last year, and I'm currently quite happy where it's at. A few areas I plan to look at in the near (or not-so-near) future:
  • Custom fields for the Team Builder
    • currently restricted to moves, abilities, spreads, etc from the usage stats
  • A full redesign of the Team Builder
    • the team builder was originally a weekend project which I hacked together, significant room for improvement
  • Rating cutoff specification
    • the ladders currently display the highest ELO tier data, which is of course not necessarily relevant to everyone
  • Performance, performance, performance
    • While the client-side is quite performant (at least I think so!) the backend leaves much room to be desired, as far as handling data smart
The website currently runs on an express.js + Node.js stack with Redis for server-side caching, hosted on AWS EC2. The front-end is a home-baked view engine I threw together for the project (terrible, terrible idea), just based on jQuery and handlebars.js. I'm currently working on a full client rewrite in React (can be found here: https://github.com/GriffinLedingham/pikalytics-react), but that is a long ways out to produce full feature-parity with the current site.

The live website isn't open sourced on GitHub currently, though I'm hoping to get things cleaned up soon at which point I'd like to open things up. The server backend is an absolute nightmare, but I have a list of ways I can hopefully optimize things and tidy that up to get it ready for public eyes.

Let me know if you have any thoughts or comments, I'd love to hear them! Thanks!

Last edited:
Great project, really nice really.
I am very interested in how you get the information of combats in pokemonshowdown. Pls PM

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)