Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 192 Def / 16 SpD / 52 Spe
Calm Nature
- Taunt
- Nature's Madness
- Scald / Moonblast
- Defog

I'm pretty surprised that this core wasn't mentioned already, but better now than never.

The rise of many SM powerhouses like Ash-Greninja, M-Metagross and Tapu Lele has impacted the meta about as gently as a roadside robbery. If you're like me, and can't play offense worth a damn, then Bronzong is the choice for you. It essentially counts as a free hard check to M-Meta and Lando-T, as well as a large variety of Fairies and Dragons with sets that don't pack Fire coverage (ex. non-Firium Z Garchomp). The set is pretty self-explanatory, with Gyro Ball being its best STAB, EQ for M-Meta, Heatran and friends, and HP Ice for Lando-T, Garchomp, Salamence, and the odd Dragonite. Protect is also an option over HP Ice, but I'd only recommend this if you're running some hard-dog stall, or have some reliable manner of residual damage on your team elsewhere that you want to rack up alongside Leftovers, which is your only source of recovery. That, and you are practically forced to run Moonblast on Fini over any other option to guarantee some decent damage on Dragon-types.

Tapu Fini catches a good variety of threats that Bronzong can't handle, such as Char-X, Ash-Greninja, Weavile, Heatran, Hydreigon, the whole nine yards. It also provides a fast Taunt, which is very welcome for a partner that is pretty vulnerable to Taunt itself. Scald is slashed first more due to the fact that Bronzong handles Dragons anyways (even the ones with SSSS), but in case you prefer doubling down, then Moonblast is your best bet. You can run Nature's Madness + Brine as well, if you're a fucking savage.

This core loves teammates that can put out residual damage, whether it's through Spikes, status effects, Rocky Helmet, Leech Seed, or some varied combination of them all. Things like AV Alolan Muk are great at that thanks to Poison Touch, while also being able to tank some serious punishment from the likes of Volcarona, Charizard-Y, and Bloom Doom Heatran.

Incidentally, Protean Greninja packing Gunk Shot, Kyurem-B, Hoopa-U, and a well-played Mold Breaker Excadrill kinda tear this core to shreds, to say nothing of the other fifty goddamn wallbreakers in the tier. Knock Off is particularly deadly, since you have no reliable recovery in this core.

Scarf Nihilego is an interesting partner, since it can outspeed things like +1 Volcarona and Char-X, then OHKO with Power Gem. To boot, it also benefits from the fact that Bronzong sponges Psychic and Ground attacks like no tomorrow. One of the best speed control options this core can be teamed up with.

A-Muk is a more defensive approach to roughly the same outcome, but A-Muk also happens to be one of the very few viable Ghost + Dark resists in the tier. A-Marowak, eat your heart out. Between Pursuit and Rock Slide, an AV set can dispatch a good number of the same things that Scarf Nihilego can, while also being fuck-off levels of tanky at the same time. Do be wary of the fact that neither A-Muk nor the core itself has any reliable recovery, and A-Muk is still really slow. Enough offensive pressure will topple this core in no time, unless you bring countermeasures.

Speedy U-turners help you make key offensive and defensive plays, as well as bring in any threatening sweeper you may have. Phero, Koko, and Ash-Gren are good examples of this, though some care needs to be taken to not make your team just a typical offense cut-out with Bronzong + Fini pasted in. Any of these threats can scare away Dark-types that carry Poison coverage by being faster and threatening with speedy, super-effective U-turns.

Threatening sweepers are a dime a dozen in the meta, but some pertinent examples are Volcarona and Zard-X since they appreciate the Defog support from Fini, SSSS Lando-T and Zygarde due to this core's resilience to opposing Fairies and bulky waters (especially if you opt for Toxic on SubCoil Zygarde), and SSSS Gyarados because it drops its pants and loudly evacuates its bowels all over any unprepared opponent.

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Mega Sableye + Toxapex

Sableye-Mega @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 SpD
Careful Nature
- Protect
- Knock Off / Foul Play
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Recover
- Haze
- Toxic Spikes / Toxic

Sableye + Toxapex is such a simple yet effective core. Sableye supports Toxapex by discouraging status ailments and helping to keep both hazards and stallbreakers at bay. Toxapex boasts solid defensive synergy in supporting Sableye and checks / counters quite a number of threats to Sableye. Toxapex takes on Keldeo (beware Breakneck Blitz), both Charizards, some variants of Heatran, Volcarona, and Pheromosa. It also annoys Tapu Fini, and helps wear it down if you Knock Off the Leftovers with Sableye. Toxic / Toxic Spikes on Toxapex is really nice with Protect on Sableye, as both mons combine to spread status and annoy the other team.

You still need to account for threats like Landorus-T, Garchomp, Tapu Lele, Tapu Koko, Hoopa-Unbound, and stuff like that. Good partners are things like Skarmory, Tangrowth, Chansey, Clefable, and some type of trapper, preferably one that can deal with Tapu Lele.

I haven't seen any of those Weather Cores yet :

Volcarona + Tyranitar Core :

Volcarona @ Firium Z
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Giga Drain
- Quiver Dance

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

In this core, Tyranitar is here to trap pokemons which annoy Volcarona and wear the opponent's team and then, Volcarona can setup a Quiver Dance on pokemons which annoy Tyranitar (Steel, Fighting and Grass Types) and destroy the opponent's team after all of its counters removed.

Excadrill + Tyranitar :

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

This is, once again is pretty classic. It's based around Tyranitar breaking down and Excadrill sweeping. Tyranitar comes in on early/mid game to break down the opponent's team and eliminate things that annoy Excadrill. Excadrill comes in on late game to sweep after all of its counters weakened. It can also act as a dangerous Revenge Killer which outspeed Pheromosa at +1 in speed (Adamant Scarf or Modest QD).

Last edited:

Nedor

thiccc
time for the second update of this thread; thanks to everyone who posted a core, it is much appreciated! anyways, i found it much better to go through the cores that i do not deem worthy of the archive in order to help the user understand, so if your core is included here do not feel bad in any way. as always, i'll be including those posts who will be added to the archive along with those from the previous update n_n

PQD | the core itself is perfectly fine and has been used in high level play, but since i want everything to be as best as possible for the archive, i'd like to see the m-scizor set fixed (talking about knock off / knock off + slashing it with bp).
PQD | fine core that has seen usage in oras as well; i personally don't think solar beam nor bug buzz is needed on volcarona in the current state of sm ou as what they target either isn't extremely relevant or optimal. quiver dance | fire blast | hp ground / ice | giga drain @ firium z i feel is the best option for volcarona currently, so i'd make that change in order to be added!
PQD | although i think it is a cool concept, i don't see how this core can fare in the current metagame without replays (feel free to provide and show them to me though). also, i would recommend assault vest > black sludge if this was to be considered.
MFJr King | the core itself is good, but i do adamantly recommend that you run timid on volcarona to hit a key speed tier for scarfers such as landorus-t and tapu lele among others.
Virizain | this core would have already been added to the archive but there were no sets pasted (most likely just an accident). once i see a paste / hastebin or whatever, this looks solid!

=====

now to give credit where it is due:
BlazeLatias': dd zardx + normalium keldeo
Cinos-Therian's: band tapu bulu + specs magnezone
DRAMPAAGE's: dd flyinium gyarados + av tangrowth

PQD's: bulky mega scizor + tapu koko / scarf terrakion + tapu koko / nidoking + scarf tapu lele
bludz's: sd garchomp + flyinium gyarados
Scarf Nihilego's: scarf nihilego + protean greninja / scarf nihilego + ferrothorn
Martin's: ferrothorn + gastrodon / ferrothorn + specs primarina / ferrothorn + heatran / heatran + tapu bulu / heatran + tangrowth / heatran + bronzong / pelipper + ash greninja
Ema Skye's: av tang + physdef toxapex
Martin's: magnezone + lo mamoswine / m-scizor + alolan marowak
matthewc20090's: pelipper + rockium kabutops
Lavonne's: protean greninja + magnezone
victordoblew's: tapu fini + ferrothorn + landorus-t
OverlordDerp's: bronzong + tapu fini
bludz's: mega sableye + toxapex
MFJr King's: lorb excadrill + tyranitar

so, thank you again to all of those who posted even if you're cores will not be added to the archive, learning and trying different stuff is a big part of why i created this thread. i have updated the archive with names as well (for ctrl + f) so feel free to try some out for yourself. btw, the tournament activity thing will most likely start some time after spl as myself and finchinator are both busy.

happy posting :)

time for the second update of this thread; thanks to everyone who posted a core, it is much appreciated! anyways, i found it much better to go through the cores that i do not deem worthy of the archive in order to help the user understand, so if your core is included here do not feel bad in any way. as always, i'll be including those posts who will be added to the archive along with those from the previous update n_n

PQD | the core itself is perfectly fine and has been used in high level play, but since i want everything to be as best as possible for the archive, i'd like to see the m-scizor set fixed (talking about knock off / knock off + slashing it with bp).
PQD | fine core that has seen usage in oras as well; i personally don't think solar beam nor bug buzz is needed on volcarona in the current state of sm ou as what they target either isn't extremely relevant or optimal. quiver dance | fire blast | hp ground / ice | giga drain @ firium z i feel is the best option for volcarona currently, so i'd make that change in order to be added!
PQD | although i think it is a cool concept, i don't see how this core can fare in the current metagame without replays (feel free to provide and show them to me though). also, i would recommend assault vest > black sludge if this was to be considered.
MFJr King | the core itself is good, but i do adamantly recommend that you run timid on volcarona to hit a key speed tier for scarfers such as landorus-t and tapu lele among others.
Virizain | this core would have already been added to the archive but there were no sets pasted (most likely just an accident). once i see a paste / hastebin or whatever, this looks solid!

=====

now to give credit where it is due:
BlazeLatias': dd zardx + normalium keldeo
Cinos-Therian's: band tapu bulu + specs magnezone
DRAMPAAGE's: dd flyinium gyarados + av tangrowth

PQD's: bulky mega scizor + tapu koko / scarf terrakion + tapu koko / nidoking + scarf tapu lele
bludz's: sd garchomp + flyinium gyarados
Scarf Nihilego's: scarf nihilego + protean greninja / scarf nihilego + ferrothorn
Martin's: ferrothorn + gastrodon / ferrothorn + specs primarina / ferrothorn + heatran / heatran + tapu bulu / heatran + tangrowth / heatran + bronzong / pelipper + ash greninja
Ema Skye's: av tang + physdef toxapex
Martin's: magnezone + lo mamoswine / m-scizor + alolan marowak
matthewc20090's: pelipper + rockium kabutops
Lavonne's: protean greninja + magnezone
victordoblew's: tapu fini + ferrothorn + landorus-t
OverlordDerp's: bronzong + tapu fini
bludz's: mega sableye + toxapex
MFJr King's: lorb excadrill + tyranitar

so, thank you again to all of those who posted even if you're cores will not be added to the archive, learning and trying different stuff is a big part of why i created this thread. i have updated the archive with names as well (for ctrl + f) so feel free to try some out for yourself. btw, the tournament activity thing will most likely start some time after spl as myself and finchinator are both busy.

happy posting :)
The Modest Nature on Volcarona was an error, sorry for that

Last edited:

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
bless

Mega Scizor + Dugtrio

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 144 Def / 96 SpD / 20 Spe
Impish Nature
- Defog
- U-turn
- Roost
- Bullet Punch

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Screech / Reversal
- Sucker Punch / Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge

Old school core that has good synergy. Scizor provides slow U-turns to bring Dugtrio in against certain 'mons like Heatran, Toxapex, and especially Magnezone. Dugtrio in return traps threats to Scizor like Tapu Lele, Zard X, and so forth. Sets are really customizable based on what you want, so stuff like SD Scizor or different Dugtrio sets are certainly viable. Should be used on Volt-Turn bulky offense teams that thrive on removing key threats via Dugtrio and letting Scizor pick off weakened threats. The big ones here are really Tapu Lele and Magnezone. Recommended to run another Tapu to reset terrains from Lele before you trap it, but I wouldn't use Bulu just cuz it weakens Dugtrio. Stealth Rock Dugtrio isn't that great but can be used here to set rocks on a trapped mon after you've KO'd the opposing hazard setter and also Defogged with Scizor.

Toxapex + Bronzong

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature
- Toxic Spikes / Toxic
- Haze
- Scald
- Recover

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake

Balance type hazard stack / annoyer core. Bronzong covers Toxapex from Landorus-T, Mega Metagross, and Tapu Lele. Toxapex checks Charizard, Volcarona, and Greninja to an extent. Best to add some fast attackers or wallbreakers since this core is extremely passive and can have problems being overwhelmed by offensive pressure. Good with stuff like Pheromosa for sure.

Pheromosa + Keldeo

Pheromosa @ Normalium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 224 SpA / 32 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Focus Blast
- Hyper Beam

Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind

Normalium Z Hyper Beam Quiver Dance Pheromosa. If you haven't tried this set yet you might just enjoy it. While it gains no better matchup vs Ghosts like Marowak and Gengar (in fact the matchup gets worse), +1 Breakneck Blitz lets you completely body mons like Toxapex and Tapu Fini after very little prior damage. It also smacks Amoonguss and Gyarados which is pretty cool. Scarf Keldeo is a fairly good cleaner these days if you can eliminate an opposing Tapu Fini / Toxapex / Tangrowth fat water resist. Basically Phero can lure in some of Keldeo's hard stops to set up a sweep for later. Alternatively you can go for sweeps with Phero but you need to use stuff like Rocks pressure + Keldeo to weaken Marowak, and so forth.

First time posting; really wanna share this double water offensive core.
Keldeo + Greninja

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
Timid Nature
- Extrasensory
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Spikes

Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Having a lot of fun with this double water offense lately. Most people on the ladder would assume ash greninja (it IS pretty broken btw) and therefore this set is to lure and weaken in mons such as tangrowth, venu, fini, and toxapex. Spikes is just great in general. Once these mons are weakened scarf keldeo is force to be reckoned with late game. Scarf keldeo with hp electric by itself is a great revenge killer to major threats and a great check to ash greninja. This core, however, do struggle with stall as greninja tend to be worn down with life orb and scarf keldeo lacks the power to break stall.

Against standard toxapex:
252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Extrasensory vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Toxapex: 211-250 (69.4 - 82.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
Standard fini:
252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Extrasensory vs. 248 HP / 16+ SpD Tapu Fini: 105-125 (30.6 - 36.4%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
(105, 107, 107, 109, 109, 110, 113, 113, 114, 117, 117, 118, 121, 121, 122, 125)
Not a lot of damage but with rocks and residual fini is easily worn down.
Mega Venu:
252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Extrasensory vs. 232 HP / 80 SpD Venusaur-Mega: 234-276 (65.1 - 76.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Tangrowth:
252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tangrowth: 237-281 (58.6 - 69.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
(237, 237, 242, 244, 250, 250, 252, 257, 257, 260, 265, 268, 268, 273, 276, 281)

PS. Love this thread. Helped me a lot in team building. ;] thx to everyone who posted here.

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
094.gif
212-mega.gif

Gengar @ Choice Specs
Ability: Cursed Body
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt / Trick

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 116 Def / 128 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn

Specs Gengar is very good right now with the tier having like no Ghost resists, however Gengar's poor bulk prevents it from coming in easily. Therefore, pairing it with pivots is often the best way to go. Mega Scizor with U-Turn is a very good partner for Gengar, as it can pivot into Gengar with U-Turn and checks some of Gengar's threats, such as Mega Metagross and Mega Alakazam. It also benefits from Gengar's wallbreaking some bulkier checks to Scizor, such as Toxapex, for Scizor to sweep with Swords Dance late-game. This core fits very well on VoltTurn teams with partners such as Tapu Koko and Landorus-Therian for more opportunities to bring Gengar in to spam Shadow Ball. Also pack a good Greninja answer as this core is really threatened by it, especially HP Fire Protean Ninja, so stuff like AV Magearna and Scarf Keldeo can be considered. Overall, a simple but very effective core in this metagame.

Last edited:

PQD

I COULD BE BANNED!
Offensive Celesteela + SE Scarf Heatran (Offensive Core):
+

I was building around Z-Fly Celesteela, and I needed a thing to beat all Pokémons that Celesteela can't beat, like all Steel types, Mega-Zard-Y (hardest threat for the core without SE), Marowak-Alola and many others. And more, these Pokémons have a pretty nice defensive sinergy
Celesteela @ Flyinium Z / Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature / Rash Nature
- Autotomize
- Air Slash
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain / Earthquake

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Stone Edge / Hidden Power [Ice]

I put 252 EVs in Speed on Celesteela to outspeed none-Scarf Pheromosa. SE on Heatran kills Zard-Y and HP Ice kills Garchomp Lando-T Zygarde but you need to cripple them with SR,burn or the likes.
I put 216+ Speed on Heatran because it does not outspeed anything between 402 and 417 speed

Ok, correct me if I'm wrong but I haven't seen this core posted yet and I've really been enjoying it lately.

+

Volcarona @ Firium Z
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain
- Roost
- Quiver Dance

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Memento
- Trick/Defog

Latios and Volcarona have always been good partners due to them having great defensive and offensive synergy. They shine exceptionally well together in this meta as latios is further able to support volc in its sweeps. For allot of teams they collapse once volc sets up to +1 since not much can revenge it or tank a hit and ko back. The few things that can take a hit are covered up by scarf lati, who can often switch in as a pivot or just kill. Things like Zards, scarf nihilego, scarf chomp, greninja (water shuriken pivot), keldeo, etc. Volc handles allot of the mons that can switch in on lati in a similar fashion and proceed to set up on them and sweep (Any steel type really). Volc sweeps are also aided by memento and trick crippling mons.

Basically lati revenge fast threats that can beat Volc and help it set up
And I guess it can defog if you REALLY need it
An example:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-543500831
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-543024184
(I know they're not the best games but they were all that I found that I have saved, you get the idea)

Last edited:
[Click sprites for sets!]

Offensive Core: Metagross-Mega + Tapu Koko

Meta-Koko/Koko-Gross is a flexible and effective offensive duo I was surprised to not see in the archive already, frankly—the number of builds that can be created from this starting point is enormous and all generally function well. In terms of synergy, Tapu Koko provides Electric Terrain to help Metagross bust through Phys. Def. Skarm via T-Punch while also U-turn out of things Metagross can take advantage of, like Amoonguss and Venusaur-Mega, while nuking annoyances to 'Gross like some fat waters and outright OHKOing Skarm/Celesteela. You also have cookie-cutter wallbreaker + offense breaker synergy here, so these two effectively pose a threat to all playstyles; should you need to increase your odds versus specific ones, their configurable movesets let you do so (like running Taunt + Nature's Madness on Koko to help break up stall cores or running BP on Gross to annoy offense more).

This core is threatened greatly by scarfed Ground-types like Garchomp and the rarer scarfed Landorus-T, scarfed Gengar, and to a lesser extent, Ferrothorn (Metagross must lower its speed with Hammer Arm to 2HKO). Because of this, specially defensive Celesteela is a solid partner to help pivot into these threats while providing some coverage versus Scizor-Mega and additional coverage versus Tapu Lele. Amoonguss + BP on Metagross can help keep Pheromosa checked as well, which could otherwise annoy the core when it is worn away by some chip damage.

Again, this core is super splashable on certain frameworks and is also a building starting point that can branch off into countless offense variations.

Defensive Core: Ferrothorn + Toxapex

Ferrothorn and Toxapex boast solid and standard Grass / Water synergy and are, in general, either a solid backbone for fatter bulky offenses or a good starting defensive core for balance. Ferrothorn is weak to Fire- and Fighting-type attacks which are covered by Toxapex; Toxapex is weak to Psychic-, Electric-, and Ground-type attacks—two of which Ferrothorn resists. From an individual threat level, Toxapex can take on the Zard forms, Scizor-Mega, Pheromosa, Buzzwole, and miscellaneous Fighting-types for Ferrothorn, while Ferrothorn can beat Tapu Koko, scarfed Ground-types, and can pivot into Tapu Lele's choiced Psychic.

Hammer Arm + Zen Headbutt Metagross is a nightmare for this core to handle, so either a revenge killer capable of dealing with it or another pivot would be necessary to support this duo. In addition, stallbreaker Tapu Lele with HP Fire, Tapu Koko with HP Fire, and offensive Ground-types are a massive headache.
Side note: Toxapex's EV spread is calibrated to be able to avoid the 2HKO from Modest Zard-Y's Fire Blast after Rocks (it does more than Solar Beam FWIW).

Last edited:

Pheromosa @ Fightinium Z
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam

Dugtrio @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit / Sucker Punch
- Memento

OR

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Screech
- Memento

Quiver Dance Pheromosa gets walled by Toxapex, Unaware Clefable and Alolan Marowak so a trapper that can eliminate them is appreciated for it to sweep effectively. Memento can also be used to provide set-up opportunities after Dugtrio has done its job. Choice Band allows Dugtrio to 2HKO its targets like Toxapex, Chansey, Clefable and Tapu Fini more reliably.

Last edited:

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion

Pheromosa @ Fightinium Z
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam

Dugtrio @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Memento

OR

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Screech
- Memento

Quiver Dance Pheromosa gets walled by Toxapex, Unaware Clefable and Alolan Marowak so a trapper that can eliminate them is appreciated for it to sweep effectively. Memento can also be used to provide set-up opportunities after Dugtrio has done its job. Choice Band allows Dugtrio to 2HKO its targets like Toxapex, Chansey, Clefable and Tapu Fini more reliably.
I'd run Pursuit on Dug instead of Sucker on Band to trap Wak and weaken it severely. Cool core btw :]

upload_2017-3-8_12-10-46.png

Offensive Core
Mega Beedrill and Greninja-Ash: A core for a new drop.
Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability:Battle Bond
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Water Shuriken
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn
Beedrill-Mega @ Beedrillite
Ability: Adaptability
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Drill Run
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
Mega Beedrill struggles against Landorus-Therian, Mega Metagross, Skarmory, and Garchomp. However, Mega Beedrill is very fast and has U-turn to pivot out of checks and counters. Greninja helps mitigate these weaknesses, as it has Hydro Pump for Garchomp, Skarmory and Landorus-Therian, Dark Pulse for Mega Metagross, and U-turn for pivoting. These two struggle with Ferrothorn because Greninja is forced out against Ferrothorn if not locked into Dark Pulse and Mega Beedrill takes too much rocky helmet and iron barbs damage, along with facing a gyro ball. The core is also threatened by some common scarfers which can outspeed Mega Beedrill (but Pheromosa isn't much of a problem to Mega Beedrill due to resisting both stabs and taking an ice beam from Pheromosa rather well.

Last edited:
Offensive Core

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Focus Punch/Fire Fang

Hoopa-Unbound @ Dread Plate/Focus Sash
Ability: Magician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Psychic/Hyperspace Hole
- Gunk Shot
- Fire Punch/Drain Punch

I'm gonna be super creative and create a no-switch-ins core around MMaw and Hoopa ok? This is a two wallbreakers core that work together to break down defensive cores so other team mates can sweep. There is no one pokemon that can wall both these sets. Mega Mawile 2hkos most of the tier by itself only missing the odd poison type such as Mega Venusaur and Amoonguss (if lacking Fire Fang) as well as Heatran if it's already in play. Hoopa-U can switch in to all of these and threaten them with the appropriate move. Together, these two toss bulky teams and cores around like rag dolls. Two physical sets are used to overwhelm common physical walls and smash special walls but a more special oriented Hoopa-U can be used to do more damage to physical walls. Just be aware that mixed Hoopa-U does less damage to mixed walls in general.

While great offensively, these two don't share much defensive synergy (or the ability to switch into much at all despite high numbers in def and spdef respectively) so they're going to need some help getting in there. As usual, Volt/Turners make great partners for wallbreakers like these to get them in safely. Landorus-T, Tornadus-T, Tapu Koko, and Pheromosa all make great Volt/Turn partners. The former two can take hits while the later two can clean up after our pair. Hazards make breaking face easier as well. Lastly, ice coverage on teammates help beat ground types that can out speed or take a hit from these two and KO back such as Garchomp and Landorus-T.

Last edited:

PQD

I COULD BE BANNED!
View attachment 79072

Ability:Battle Bond
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Water Shuriken
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn

Greninja helps mitigate these weaknesses, as it has Ice Beam for Garchomp and Landorus-Therian, Dark Pulse for Mega Metagross, and Hydro Pump for Skarmory.
Can you say to me where is Ice Beam in the set please ?

After tinkering around with what Beedrill appreciates and can support in return, this core in particular has proven effective.
Offensive Core:

Ability: Swarm
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Poison Jab
- U-Turn
- Drill Run
- Knock Off/Fell Stinger

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 112 HP / 252 SpA / 144 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

It's a fairly straightforward core based on STAB VoltTurn. Beedrill acts as a win-con with its sheer damage and speed, as well as providing one of the hardest-hitting U-Turns in the meta. Magnezone makes up for Beedrill's frail defenses, taking necessary hits and hitting hard in return. One of Beedrill's biggest draws is being helpless against defensive steel types, which Magnezone can trap. Mag also provides a slow volt switch, letting Drill come in relatively for free. Beedrill helps wear down Magnezone's switchins, and provide enough momentum to take out steel switchins before they can do any harm.

Beedrill's set is up for personal changes. Not many things in the tier can outspeed a neutral 145 but be outsped by positive 145, so adamant works well for overall damage. However, jolly lets you outspeed base 130s like Tapu Koko and kill with Poison Jab. Knock Off is recommended to hit things like Marowak and Gengar, but Fell Stinger can provide some niche setup opportunities. Good partners for this core are answers to Landorus-T, who can otherwise wall Beedrill and beat Magnezone in a 1v1.

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
After tinkering around with what Beedrill appreciates and can support in return, this core in particular has proven effective.
Offensive Core:

Ability: Swarm
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Poison Jab
- U-Turn
- Drill Run
- Knock Off/Fell Stinger

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 168 HP / 252 SpA / 88 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

It's a fairly straightforward core based on STAB VoltTurn. Beedrill acts as a win-con with its sheer damage and speed, as well as providing one of the hardest-hitting U-Turns in the meta. Magnezone makes up for Beedrill's frail defenses, taking necessary hits and hitting hard in return. One of Beedrill's biggest draws is being helpless against defensive steel types, which Magnezone can trap. Mag also provides a slow volt switch, letting Drill come in relatively for free. Beedrill helps wear down Magnezone's switchins, and provide enough momentum to take out steel switchins before they can do any harm.

Beedrill's set is up for personal changes. Not many things in the tier can outspeed a neutral 145 but be outsped by positive 145, so adamant works well for overall damage. However, jolly lets you outspeed base 130s like Tapu Koko and kill with Poison Jab. Knock Off is recommended to hit things like Marowak and Gengar, but Fell Stinger can provide some niche setup opportunities. Good partners for this core are answers to Landorus-T, who can otherwise wall Beedrill and beat Magnezone in a 1v1.
Nice core; this is about as good as you can get with Beedrill. That said, the minimum speed you should run on Magnezone is 128 to hit uninvested Mega Scizor with HP Fire before it U-turns, although it's probably a good idea to creep 16 Spe variants (requires 144 Spe) 'cause they usually run this nowadays to U-turn before adamant Alolan Marowak can hit them. Also I personally think that Pursuit is the biggest thing Beedrill has going for it over Pheromosa, so it's also worth considering over either coverage move.

I think Specs Hoopa is pretty good on this core because it breaks physical walls. If you want to use mixed, use Life Orb or Focus Sash and put Dark Pulse/Thunderbolt on it to help Mawile to break Skarmory and Celesteela. Fire Punch shouldn't be slashed on Hoopa because it beats M-Scizor for Mawile. Also, I don't like Focus Punch on Mawile. I think Iron Head is better. You can also use SD with Iron Head over Thunder Punch if you decide to choose Thunderbolt Hoopa.
If you don't decide to run Thunderbolt Hoopa, Thunder Punch is not bad.
I suppose I should specify that this core works by overwhelming physical walls. Dread Plate bluffs a choice item so Hoopa can get surprise KOs (usually with Gunk Shot). Also, with Thunder Punch and Focus Punch, Maw has no problem beating Skarm and Steela (and ferro as a bonus). You not liking Focus Punch does not mean that other people haven't had success with that set. You're probably right about Fire Punch being slashed first though (although Hyperspace Fury still does nice damage).

Nice core; this is about as good as you can get with Beedrill. That said, the minimum speed you should run on Magnezone is 128 to hit uninvested Mega Scizor with HP Fire before it U-turns, although it's probably a good idea to creep 16 Spe variants (requires 144 Spe) 'cause they usually run this nowadays to U-turn before adamant Alolan Marowak can hit them. Also I personally think that Pursuit is the biggest thing Beedrill has going for it over Pheromosa, so it's also worth considering over either coverage move.
Ah, my bad. I wasn't running into Scizor when testing this core, so I didn't realize I needed the speed. Thanks for the input, I've edited that into Mag's set.

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Thunder Punch
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

Timid Nature
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Here's a Core I'm using right now, the goal is to give one of these Mons the chance to sweep.
MMawile is copied by Pokeaim tbh, while Keldeo is standard Scarf set.
Keldeo helps out Mawile against Ferro, Tran, Lando T (Double switch) and some more mons, while Mawile kills Toxapex, MVenu, Latios and pretty much everything else which counters Keldeo.

The core pairs well with VoltTurn like Koko/Lando-T to bring in those two beasts.

PQD

I COULD BE BANNED!
Mawile-Mega + Volcarona (Offensive Core):
+

Mawile-Mega is already a monster: it destroys everything. Z-Psychic Volcarona permits to beat Toxapex, so no need to SD on mawile.

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Focus Punch
- Fire Fang / Thunder Punch / Baton Pass

Volcarona @ Psychium Z
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Psychic
- Giga Drain

96 EVs on Mawile outspeed 60 Speed BS.

Last edited:
Mawile-Mega + Volcarona (Offensive Core):
+

Mawile-Mega is already a monster: it destroys everything. Z-Psychic Volcarona permits to beat Toxapex, so no need to SD on mawile.

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Fire Fang / Ice Punch / Thunder Punch / Iron Head / Swords Dance / Baton Pass / Focus Punch
- Focus Punch / Ice Punch / Thunder Punch / Swords Dance / Baton Pass / Iron Head

Volcarona @ Psychium Z
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Psychic
- Giga Drain

96 EVs on Mawile outspeed 60 Speed BS.
That's a lot of slashes on that mawile there, you should probably cut that down because it's super messy right now. I think running Focus punch to nail Heatran is a good idea here since Volc lacks HP Ground and I personally would run Thunder punch even tho Volcarona can break past Pex and sets up/forces out Celesteela and Skarmory. Still slash some of the options (Baton pass seems cool here because of volc setting up on Mawile checks) but yeah just clean it up. I'd also add a little bit more of a description here to show how the two share synergy. Something like Volcarona sets up on some of the mons Mawile bring some it like Steels and Mega Venusaur while Mawile helps break down the opposing team to allow Volc to sweep late game and also checks certain Dragons Volc struggle so with like Latios and can switch in to rock type coverage aimed at Rona etc.

Offensive Core: QD Breakneck Blitz Pheromosa + Specs Ash Gren

Pheromosa @ Normalium Z
Modest Nature
- Hyper Beam
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Focus Blast

Ability: Battle Bond
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Ice Beam

This is a pretty simple core. I have stated many times that I adore Breakneck Blitz Pheromosa, and this is the core I always use. The concept is simple: Breakneck Blitz can lure and kill a weakened Tapu Fini or Toxapex at +1, which can leave the door open for Ash Gren to clean up. Pheromosa can also outright beat other Ash Gren answers like Tangrowth and Sp. Def Ferrothorn. Ash Gren can also beat the ghost types that annoy Pheromosa, like Gengar and Alolawak. You can use U-Turn over Ice Beam on Gren, but because Pheromosa lacks Ice Beam, it can struggle to break Zygarde, thus making Ice Beam (probably) the better option. I have seen similar Posts to this, but not this exact core.

Offensive Core #2:
AoA Mega Mawile + Fightinium Z TR Magearna Fairy Spam

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 124 HP / 252 Atk / 132 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Fire Fang
- Thunder Punch
- Sucker Punch

Magearna @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Focus Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Fleur Cannon

This is a favorite of mine. These two can beat the Steel types that "check" them. Fire Fang Mawile beats out Ferrothorn and a weakened Metagross, which Magearna can struggle with. Fightinium Z Magearna beats down Heatran, which is one of the most common Mawile checks. Basically these two whittle down or kill each others counters until one of them cleans under Trick Room. Mawile benefits from Trick room due to its low speed as well. I've found the most success with this core when paired with hazard stackers, like Toxapex or Greninja.

Phero-Gren Replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-545589226

(Vs. Balance. Pheromosa kills Toxapex late game and lets Gren win.)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-542472039

(This one's more of a testament to Pheromosas power. Ash Gren could have cleaned just as easily, just phero did it itself)

Fairy Spam Core:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-546487078

(
This is honestly not a good replay to show off the core itself, but I couldn't find one better that I have saved. I played pretty badly, but TR Magearna being the beast it is counterswept vs. Webs. BTW i didnt eq because i was afraid of a balloon Xurk. Idk why lol.)

I'll see if I can get a better replay of the fairy Spam one. I honestly am terrible at remembering to save replays. I encourage you to try these out if you want! Also, let me know if these sets might be sub-optimal. Thanks, and enjoy!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)