SM OU OU Bulky Offense Venu, Tran, Double Tapu

Kyurem_Black_XY.gif
landorus-therian.gif
tapufini.gif
tapukoko.gif
venusaur-mega.gif
heatran.gif

This is a team I created that has no major focal point whatsoever. It is mainly just to deal periodical damage over time and slowly whittle down opponents while being able to take hits back. Pretty much the definition of Bulky Offense.

Kyurem_Black_XY.gif

Rubix Kyu-B (Kyurem-Black) @ Icium Z
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 44 SpA / 212 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Fusion Bolt
- Freeze Shock
- Earth Power
- Dragon Claw

I guess if the team had to have a focal point this is it. Kyurem-Black on this team is going to be my main stall breaker unfortunately because this team lacks efficient wall breakers. Obviously Icium Z Freeze Shock for a nuke move that ensures at least 50% on any non 4x resist. 212 speed is enough to outspeed adamant max speed Landorus-Therian. I was debating running the 44 EVs in speed or special attack but I went with special attack purely for the extra chance to OHKO the generic magma storm Heatran sets. Fusion bolt to hit Fini, Celesteela, and Skarmory, Freeze Shock because stab, Earth Power because of Heatran, and D-Claw because stab.

landorus-therian.gif

Hammerhead (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpA
Naughty Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ice]

This is a mon that I needed to check things like zygarde and other landorus-therian's and allow electric seed Hawlucha to be dealt with easier. I actually don't use defensive Landorus-Therian so this is where I need your help to see what moves can fit best with my current team. Every OU team in my opinion requires some sort of mon that can use a ground move purely because of how good of an offensive type ground is. Considering that Lando is my only ground resist on the team, it might be an issue though. Every OU team should have rocks in my opinion also. knock Off is just to get rid of other items quite obviously. Hidden Power Ice to deal damage to other landorus-therians which this team has an issue with.

tapufini.gif

Tap Water (Tapu Fini) @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Defog
- Haze
- Moonblast
- Nature's Madness

Like I said, every OU team should have rocks. Therefore every OU team needs to have removal. Back in the OU Metagame discussion people were saying Tapu Fini will be challenged as a defogger in the tier. I don't think this is the case at all. There aren't very many OU viable water type defoggers who, one don't have 4x weaknesses, and two none of them but Tapu Fini can deal 50% to any mon on switchin assuming it doesn't miss. Haze is for things like non T-Punch M-Zard that have up 1 D-Dance. I'm considering running defensive instead of specially defensive. So that's another area where I need opinions. Moonblast is a good stab move of course, and nature's madness like I said, deals 50% to anything.

tapukoko.gif

Kokonut (Tapu Koko) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 36 Atk / 252 SpA / 220 Spe
Rash Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Brave Bird
- Dazzling Gleam

Just to clarify I was never a fan of double tapu teams but at this point in time, I'm rolling with it. This team lacks pivots so far so I figured Koko being one of the best pivots in the tier deserved to be on the team, also serving me an electric type to break the water types that don't allow Kyu-B to freely click Icium Z Freeze Shock whenever it feels (obviously once a game but whatever). Volt Switch like I said is for pivoting, Thunderbolt is just a powerful STAB move in electric terrain. Brave Bird is solely for Volcarona and Mega Venu. Dazzling Gleam is for D-Dance'd Dragons who-m I can outspeed assuming they are only +1 due to my choice scarf. Choice Scarf also allows me to revenge Ash Greninja and outspeed scarfed Latios.

venusaur-mega.gif

Late Bloomer (Venusaur-Mega) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain

This set still needs a bit of reworking as it bugs me that I have no special attack EVs, but I can't find anything worthy of the need to put any in. This is obviously around for the point of literally being bulky offense. HP Fire for things like Kartana, Mega Scizor, and being a M-Venu that isn't walled by Ferrothorn. Sludge Bomb for Tapus especially and other fairies and tangrowth. Giga Drain for beating Swampert in particular and just general minimal recovery. Synthesis is for sustain. Almost put Earthquake on this set for tran but decided against it

heatran.gif

Steam Tran (Heatran) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Lava Plume
- Stone Edge
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon

This is the second time I've ever used AV Tran. Only twice so don't kill me yet. AV Tran for one completes the Fini, Venu, Tran core I had going, and gives me a lele switch-in. I actually have no reason for using Lava Plume over Flamethrower besides the extra burn chance I guess. Stone Edge so that my team doesn't just lose to Zard Y immediately. Earth Power for other Trans and Flash Cannon for fairies and stab.

Issues to Solve:
Hawlucha Checks
Ground Resists

Need help on the above

Attachments

DKM

Are you feeling nervous? Are you having fun?
is a Social Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Hey, cool team. I especially like the venu + tran + fini Fire-Water-Grass core. I think some things can be improved though.

MAJOR CHANGES

788.png --> 226.png
Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 52 Def / 208 SpD
Calm Nature
- Roost
- Scald
- Defog
- Haze

Mantine does the job of Tapu Fini more reliably thanks to roost. It can switch into more attacks and keep roosting, whereas Tapu Fini can get worn down easier. Mantine also gives you a second ground immunity and a better switch-in to things like Volcarona and Heatran.

485.png assaultvest.png --> leftovers.png
Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Toxic/Protect

AV Heatran isn't really it's best set. Heatran naturally checks non-Z move Tapu Lele, so giving it leftovers means it can switch into attacks more often.

Using magma storm and taunt gives you a second way to annoy stall teams.

The last move can be toxic to wear stuff down faster or protect to regain more leftovers.

MINOR CHANGES

645-s.png
Landorus-Therian (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 228 Def / 32 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Defensive Landorus doesn't usually run attack because it needs as much bulk as possible to beat things like Zygarde which you mentioned.

32 speed is ran to speed-creep opposing Landorus, but more can be used if you want.

003-m.png
Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Def / 120 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power [Fire]

I suggest using this Venusaur spread. The given defense allows you to take a +2 black-hole eclipse from Kartana after rocks.
+2 252 Atk Kartana Black Hole Eclipse (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 124+ Def Venusaur-Mega: 269-317 (74.1 - 87.3%)

16 speed is to outspeed Mega-Mawile, and the rest is in special-defense to help with Greninja and Tapu Koko to an extent.

I hope these changes are helpful if you decide to use them. I don't think Hawlucha is that much of an issue if you have choice scarf Tapu Koko. Just keep it healthy and it should be enough :]

Importable with changes:
https://pokepast.es/7acd23a47fbf433d

~~003-m.png226.png485.png645-s.png785.png646-b.png~~

Pretty nice, this is honestly a team I would hate to battle. Never knew why Kyurem black is OU and I absolutely despise all Guardian deities, though I agree with most of DragonKnightmaster's changes. A mixed defensive Venusaur is indeed better, I use one and it saved my life so many times. I like the hidden power fire though in that set, could indeed get rid of those pesky steel types. I'd also say you'd make Landorus a bit more deffensive if you want your team to be a pain in the ass. It also should be defensive if you want to beat Hawlucha and Zygarde. Venusaur is also pretty good at beating sub-Zygardes. Dragon's Mantine change could be good with it having less weaknesses, despite having a x4 weakness to electric, though it is fully covered by Landorus and Venusaur. Rocks could be a problem but it has roost so it should be alright. I have always had a hard time damaging Mantine, so I guess that's a good idea

Reactions: DKM
I tested out the team and it has an issue with Mega Medicham also. How do I deal with that based on my current team? I have no space for a psychic currently.

DKM

I tested out the team and it has an issue with Mega Medicham also. How do I deal with that based on my current team? I have no space for a psychic currently.
You could run Yache berry on Landorus to take an ice punch and hit them with EQ. Protect on Heatran is already helping if they go for HJK.

DKM

My team is also incredibly weak to Hoopa-U. What do I do about that?
Banded hoopa is supposed to break most teams. The best thing to do is keep offensive pressure on it with Kyurem, Heatran and Koko.

Not allowing a free switch-in is key.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)