OU Analyses Discussion Thread

Six Trails

formerly Analytic_
Should Agility replace Rock Polish on Mega Metagross' Rock Polish set? While the 10 extra PP likely never comes into play, I was under the impression that no matter how negligible the benefit is, it's still a benefit and should be reflected in the analysis.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Should Agility replace Rock Polish on Mega Metagross' Rock Polish set? While the 10 extra PP likely never comes into play, I was under the impression that no matter how negligible the benefit is, it's still a benefit and should be reflected in the analysis.
IIRC it was originally put in place because it is easier to obtain Rock Polish Gross in-game than it is to obtain AgiliGross. It is really negligible and honestly not that big a deal 'cause Agiligross is pretty terrible as-is, so I wouldn't get too hung up on it. Run Agility on Showdown if you can be bothered it will probably never come into play.
FWIW Rock Polish is also cooler.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I feel like there was some other reason but I'll be damned if I could remember what it was.

Analyses shouldn't be taking into account in-game availablity anyway because we primarily use the sims and some mons like Victini run old event moves that aren't exactly easy access.

I have been rating a decent amount lately, and one thing that comes to mind everytime I open the analysis is:

Why does Rotom-W's analysis still state 8 EVs in Speed only?

When rating those teams, I usually notice a weakness to Dark types, which although can be mitigated by the use of Keldeo, still remains pretty weak to it. With Keldeo not having reliable recovery, it is not good to have Keldeo as the only Dark answer since DarkSpam is not too rare a sight these days.

As such, I think Rotom-Ws these days should run at least 88 Speed EVs (for Jolly Crawdaunt). Although the analysis does state 88 Speed EVs for Jolly Craw and 128 EVs for Ada Bish, I don't think it's a good idea to keep 8 Speed EVs on the main set as many newer players use the analysis - and might not know that it's not the most optimal set for their team. IMO the analysis should be reflecting current metagame trends and hence I'm here suggesting this. n_n

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Doing that takes a signficant chunk out of Rotom-W's bulk and as such is not necessarily the best option. IDK about you but I don't usually run more than 8 speed investment on Rotom-W because I'd much rather make my Volt Switch as slow as possible and overload on bulk most of the time, and it's very rare for me to run any faster benchmark other than jolly 70s because of the drop in physical bulk that comes with intermediate spreads. Alternative spreads are listed in set details, and it functions under the assumption that the player can be bothered to read the analysis anyway. This is an inherent drawback to analyses that we can't realistically cover for, and honestly suggesting that someone should always carry such a large amount of speed on Rotom-W kinda misses the point of slow variants.

In addition to this, the change feels largely arbitrary considering just how immensely subjective a statement it is. There are a lot of in-trend things which have been opted to remain unchanged (e.g. max Atk Diancie is better than max SpA most of the time, yet the max SpA investment spread is still listed after being discussed in this thread; jolly is still listed before ada on MegaCham's analysis etc.), and realistically speaking you can't even call this "in-trend" because Rotom-W's speed investment is entirely dependent on its team. I'd rather have a spread which puts emphasis on a key niche (slow Volt Switch) than some arbitrary speed benchmark that you aren't going to even use on a lot of teams.

While I'm on the topic of Rotom-W spreads though, I find it very weird that 220 (jolly Bish/Loom) or 232 spe (jolly MegaTar) isn't mentioned in set details as an alternative spread despite being better than 128 is and probably being better than 88 as well. A fast Wisp or T-wave has really big utility on certain teams and as such it feels really misplaced to not list this spread which isn't actually that difficult to fit onto teams in the great scheme of things. I do think that it should definitely get a mention considering that it did actually receive a fair amount of attention a few months ago and is still in no way a bad spread.

Last edited:

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Nidoking needs to have Sub on its main set because sub is the move that makes it incredibly dangerous in standard. Sub / Sludge Bomb / Ice Beam / Earth Power is pretty much all it needs.

Kyurem-B needs HP Fire and Naive on the wallbreaker set because it's an unmitigated destroyer that way.

Mega Chomp should have Fire Fang over Fire Blast. Fire Blast is pretty trash now a ton of mons are running SpD. Stress that sand support is needed since you're running an inferior LO chomp otherwise.

Mega Sab is banned so that's going to change alot on analyses, some are already fixed but a few things i noticed:

Azelf's analysis still mentions Mega Sableye and please get rid of Skill Swap since with Sab being banned, steel coverage is superior.

Sableye still has its analysis.

There are mentions of Mega Sableye on Klefki, Diggersby and Quagsire analyses.

Will edit this post later if i find more also, shouldn't CB Diggersby be a set? I'd also deslash Focus Sash and remove the Scarf set because they aren't as relevant.

EDIT: More Sableye mentions on the following analyses: Suicune, Talonflame, Altaria, Gengar, Infernape, Reuniclus, Gyarados

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)