Resource ORAS OU Sample Teams

update timeeee~ huge thanks to ABR and TDK for helping me choose what to remove and add ^^.

firstly, i removed 6 teams from the archive; if you want to find those teams, a rough copy of the bb code can be found here. the three of us (and AM and p2 later on as well) totally agreed that these 6 were either a bit outdated at this point and / or not really representative of certain types of builds, archives, frameworks, w.e.

in their place, we added 4 teams:
  • McMeghan's nidoking offense with edits by TDK: like the mega medicham team, this one does a good job of showcasing a slower breaker + pivots (mega scizor, lando-t, torn-t, rotom-w), but with a different framework. also, the team provides the archive with something more volt-turny.
  • TDK's newer mega garde offense: this one replaces the old one :3.
  • ABR stall: sorry this took so long to add lol. basically the main argument from others (and sorta myself initially but i was pretty neutral) was that this is like the only viable stall team, showing stall as a whole isn't really viable, so there shouldn't be a stall team in the archive. however, i don't think having 1 stall team in the archive is such a big deal, and this team is definitely already all over the place :p.
  • cosine180's mega diancie balance: we removed the only diancie team and the only balance team in the archive, and we sorta needed teams to fill those slots. this team does a good job of showing off a pretty basic balance backbone (lando-t / ferrothorn / starmie / talonflame hazard stack), and it shows how diancie works really nicely with hazard stack stuff.
we discussed adding a sand team, but none of us have really seen any major ones atm. if i add one, i'm sorta looking for something really basic to just show the general framework of sand builds nowadays. adding a lopunny team would also be nice; we had one in mind, but it was eventually decided that it might not be the best addition atm.

edit: also excuse any weird sentences in this post i like just woke up >/////<

I'm gonna post 2 teams that I built, that have actually been doing very well. First team is a M-Scizor+Bisharp HO team. Very simple, but super effective (no pun intended). The reason I built around those two, is because they weaken each other's counters, then help each other sweep. Just watch out for opposing Bisharp!

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost
Terrakion @ Focus Sash
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
Landorus-Therian @ Earth Plate
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Rock Polish
- Swords Dance
Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Defog
Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind
Next up is a team based around LO Alakazam + SD Crawdaunt. I believe that to be a fantastic offensive core, because they revenge kill mons that are weak to each other. (ie. Zam kills Keldeo for Crawdaunt, allowing it to sweep or make it much easier for Crawdaunt to sweep.) I mixed in some volt-turn, because Alakazam and Crawdaunt are EXTREMELY frail mons, and volt-turn makes it easier to give them opportunities for them to come in. Latias is also nice for sponging up hits and giving any mon one more chance to do something because of healing wish. I don't see much of a need for defog in this team, since none of the mons are weak to rocks, and Zam is immune to hazards. Just be careful of Weavile, and keep your M-Scizor healthy for that.

Alakazam @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]
Crawdaunt @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Crabhammer
- Aqua Jet
Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp
Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Roost
Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
Latias @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Healing Wish

Last edited:
I'm gonna post 2 teams that I built, that have actually been doing very well. First team is a M-Scizor+Bisharp HO team. Very simple, but super effective (no pun intended). The reason I built around those two, is because they weaken each other's counters, then help each other sweep. Just watch out for opposing Bisharp!

Next up is a team based around LO Alakazam + SD Crawdaunt. I believe that to be a fantastic offensive core, because they revenge kill mons that are weak to each other. (ie. Zam kills Keldeo for Crawdaunt, allowing it to sweep or make it much easier for Crawdaunt to sweep.) I mixed in some volt-turn, because Alakazam and Crawdaunt are EXTREMELY frail mons, and volt-turn makes it easier to give them opportunities for them to come in. Latias is also nice for sponging up hits and giving any mon one more chance to do something because of healing wish. I don't see much of a need for defog in this team, since none of the mons are weak to rocks, and Zam is immune to hazards. Just be careful of Weavile, and keep your M-Scizor healthy for that.

Hey! Ill definately be using the crawdaunt set! I haven't played comp in a long while now, (a few months,that's all) and I decided I wanna use my favorite pokemon crawdaunt!

Ive made a lot of teams, but none of them work out well. Thank you for this!

Lillith (Tyranitar) (F) @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Punch

Princess (Diancie-Mega) @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Protect

Eryxa (Excadrill) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Roccat (Landorus-Therian) @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- U-turn

Off 8 (Slowbro) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Thunder Wave
- Slack Off

Bud (Amoonguss) @ Black Sludge
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Spore

As you can see this is a balanced Sandstorm team.
Tyranitar and Excadrill are the most used Sand core even if they share a lot of weaknesses (water, grass, ground, fighting ecc. ecc.) and these are two well-known mons in OU tier.
TTar is the Special defense God, as it gains a boost due to sandstorm (free SpD), it sets the stealth rocks and has two powerful Stabs, Ice punch is to damage opposing Landorus-Therian, Garchomp, Gliscor, Dragonite or every mon switching in who takes 4x Damage if hit by Ice-Type moves
Exca is the late-game cleaner, it easily spams Eq or Iron head to finish the opponents after they were damaged by sandstorm residual damage or by anything else. It has rapid spin to clean the field from the entry hazard, just in case. The fact is that every mon who Excadrill cannot deal with, is checked or countered by the rest of this team, making exca the "Bomber".
Landorus provides a Ground Immunity and resistance to Fighting. Thanks to the choice scarf it could revenge kill mons like Lopunny-Mega, Metagross-Mega, Scarf Magnezone and is a serious threat to Garchomp, Dragonite, and a lot of mons who need to spam EQ or ground/fighting moves to hit.
Diancie-mega is one of my favourite mons ever and it's strong too, it's a good check against opposing Landorus-Therian, Rotom-Wash, every dark-type mon (Sableye, I'm looking at you) and it can 2HKO lot of things. It is a Rock-Type mon too and that means it receives the SpD bonus given by the Sandstorm.
Its ability: Magic Bounce, is very useful if u are good at predict and protect is good against choice users.
The Strongest Wall in the whole metagame is Slowbro, IMO. Its Typing provides Resistance to Water, Fighting and Steel while its enormous bulk and its ability, regenerator, make it really unable to die. It walls a lot of Physical mons and Thunder Wave is to punish speed reliant mons switching in, like Gardevoir-Mega, Charizard-mega-Y, Jirachi and Latios, making most of them completely useless.
Finally, my last pokemon is Amoonguss. It shares Regenerator with his friend Slowbro, and its typing provides resistance to Grass, Water, Fighting and Fairy.
two Stabs, Spore which is really strong as it cripples one opposing mon, and Hidden power fire is to deal some damage to Scizor, Ferrothorn and Skarmory.

I've been playing Sandstorm teams for 3 years, I reached a medium-high score only playing this Sandstorm
I'm gonna linking my user's data to prove my experience. http://pokemonshowdown.com/users/giugiududu

Last edited:

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This needs a huge update. Just gonna say a few things that should be subtracted and added

Subtractions
  • Bludz Volcanion team since Volcanion isn't as good as people thought it was when it was initially announced
  • MSU/TDK's Band Terrak BO since both Terrak and MLatias aren't as good as they were when it was built
  • MCM's Nidoking offense since the first team im gonna post is a lot more indicative of MSciz BO.
  • TDK's MGarde team since spdef jirachi being everywhere really hurts Mega Garde. (Also HP Fire LO Latios)
Additions
  • Leftiez OLT Msciz BO Since it shows current trends like rocks clef and cb tar and is a perfect example of BO
  • Tele's Anti-Hazard Stall since it's almost singe handedly brought back discussion of a MSAB suspect.
  • ABR's Rest MHera Team since it's generally a great model of a really solid offense and has been shown to be consistent
  • TDK Zardx Team since ZardX one of the best megas from the entire gen and this is a good showing of standard ZardX offense
  • ABR's Mega Lopunny BO it's one of the best megas in ORAS, and this is a pretty popular build.
  • Some MMeta team
  • Some Sand build

Last edited:
like i've told Littlelucario in PMs a couple times now when he approached me about updating this, i've been pretty busy lately, and it's not necessarily easy to track down the people i wanna consult about adding and removing teams when they're also mostly busy :p. i planned on doing one big update sometime this month to pretty much call it a day for ORAS because it's much easier to sit down and do one big update than a bunch of small ones. regardless, i do want to apologize for the lack of an update recently.

anyways, i did mention before that i do want some type of mega hera team and some type of mega lop team (like really especially one of these), but i haven't really gotten any that i wanna add :s. also, i'm not really sure about adding a mega hera team anymore atm, but we'll see when i discuss that with some people. some of the teams mentioned in the post above have been considered by me and suggested by others, so those will be discussed. the volc team is probably gonna go; no comment on the other 3 mentioned above since those depend on what else is added/removed.

there are a bunch of other things i've been considering that i won't get into since i wanna discuss those when doing the update. point is i haven't forgotten bout updating this... just been busy, and i decided it'd be best to just do one big update! thanks for the quality suggestions though n_n.

Empo

is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 30 Championis the Smogon Tour Season 33 Championwon the 17th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender

Hey all, today MONNA LUSA and I want to show a cheap ho that we built and tested very quickly. We decided to build an Hyper Offensive team around offensive Scizor-Mega as the meta is shifted torwards checking more defensive variants of this mon. Then we added a lead and we thought Aerodactyl was a very fitting mon since it gives hazard support and also tailwind (also outspeeds azelf oo). At this point we added Keldeo since it has good synergy with Scizor and beats Sableye-Mega that, considering we had aero lead, was a very threatening mon. Then we wanted more offensive pressure on Common Scizor counters&checks so we decided to add Bisharp to the team so that we can weaken them to then proceed to sweep. As Fifth mon we picked CB Dragonite that not is capable of wallbreaking but it can also Revengekill threatening setup sweepers with Extreme Speed. As the last mon we proceeded to Thundurus-I to hit birds and Bgrounds such as Garchomp and Landorus-T and also to lure Ferrothorn.

importable if u ever want to try dis ho!!

Posho

local gaymer weeb
is a Tiering Contributoris the Smogon Tour Season 23 Championis a Past SCL Champion
Lopunny Spike-Stack balance
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
/
/
/
/
/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, to introduce it: this is a team I made for OLT, I was facing Bushtush and it was quite noticeable that he was a really offensive player, so what better way to pressure an offensive team that using Lopunny paired with Spikes to make it even more threatening. The team starts off with Sr Tw clef, it is a really annoying mon for offense teams to deal with as offense usually carries Scarf Excadrill or Jirachi which can be weared down slowly by using Moonblast and also beacuse Clef can set Sr comfortably on any team that doesn't carry Zapdos. Then we have our spiker, skarmory with a rather uncommon set which is taunt, as you can see mons such as ferrothorn or m zor are kind of threatening for the team and the ability to stop them from recovery themselves with either leech seed or roost respectively is really helpful, it also has some extra speed for opposing skarmory. Amoonguss serves as my pivot and also reliable water resist which also annoys offensive teams as most of them lack a way to sleep fodder unless they carry the uncommon set Specstalk Lati. Rotom-w is another good pivot that offers momentum thanks to it forcing lots of switches and taking advantage of them with Volt Switch, this set is really self-explanatory although it has 88 speed evs to be able to outspeed any Jolly Crawdaunt. And lastly my 2 offensive mons: Lopunny and Mixed LO Chomp which take really good advantage of the spikes, being able to do a really good chunk to any team.

OLT vs. Bushtush - Replay where I showcase the team, Spikes + me playing aggresively are able to put in a lot of work putting me in a really good position, although I made a huge missplay which led to a final 50/50 in the end, good battle though :P.

Importable: http://pastebin.com/U7svhFw9

Updated Kanto

Banned deucer.

Hello, I made this team to use vs mounts which featured some cool sets with the main focus being Salac 3 Attacks Manaphy. I decided to pair Manaphy with Latios to check speedy Electric types, Zard Y, and other common mons in the Overused™ tier. Next up I was obviously weak to physical mons such as excadrill, lopunny, talonflame, etc. so I added Landorus-T which also added a pivot to my team and STARTS the illustrious volt-turn combo. When I finished the overall team I changed rocky helmet into yache seeing how weak I was to Mega Manectric and Thundurus (Latios aint enough), and decided to play around with EVs giving it enough attack to have a 75% chance to KO thund with stone edge and 100% after life orb recoil or any other sort of damage, and if it lacks life orb then Latios can probably handle it easier anyways, as well as having a chance to ko mega man / always putting it in mega scizor bp range. Looking at the team I knew I was weak to ferro and scizor since defensive scizor can easily get passed lando-t especially since it lacks rhelm / hp fire, so I added magnezone since trapping ferro also gives manaphy an easier chance of sweeping later on. I was debating specs or even making it scarf magneton, but in the end i decided to make chople t-wave since my answer for Mega Lopunny / Mega Pinsir was a Landorus-T that wasn't even heavily invested into defense. At this point I realized something, even though I had latios as a keldeo check and zard y check, latios is easily pressured by those + other mons it has to check on the team as well as always being vulnerable to pursuit trappers like Tyranitar which are very common partners for keld/zard y so I decided to add Torn-t as another check to those mons, and made Torn-T HP Rock so it can at least 2hko zard y or kill after certain amount of damage and overall just help vs special mon + ttar teams. Lastly I decided to add Mega Scizor as another defensive pivot apart from landorus-t, since it came in the form of a weavile counter as well as a mega metagross / mega gyara counter. I decided to put defog on Scizor of Latios because like I stated before Lati is vulnerable to pursuit trappers and isn't a reliable way to remove hazards where as mscizor is vulnerable to the lesser common trapper in magnezone/magneton.

Luck stops HERE (Manaphy) @ Salac Berry
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Energy Ball

head of my class (Latios) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Memento
- Roost

You = Minimize (Landorus-Therian) @ Yache Berry
EVs: 196 HP / 104 Atk / 104 Def / 104 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn

blow me off (Magnezone) @ Chople Berry
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 116 HP / 252 SpA / 140 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

good weed (Tornadus-Therian) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hurricane
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- U-turn
- Knock Off

final boss (Scizor-Mega) @ Scizorite
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Roost
- Defog

MEMENTO LATIOS isnt needed i just put it there cus epic and might give manaphy chances to set up, you can replace it with any coverage move

Momoshiki otsutsuki (Jirachi) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Healing Wish

Five tails (Keldeo-Resolute) @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Icy Wind
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword

Toneri otsutsuki (Latios) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Recover
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor

Orochimaru (Tangrowth) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 244 HP / 216 Def / 48 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Sakura Haruno (Diancie-Mega) @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Diamond Storm
One tailed beast (Landorus-Therian) @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

I suck at using mega diancie and before oras ends I want to get a taste of its power and capabilities in the ou metagame.Diancie is great vs many hazard stacking,and stall/defensively made teams,and has good coverage overall as well amazing stats.so I went to build around it to practice with it, the team has been doing very well even for someone who dosnt use mega diancie so I thought it was worth going on the sample team forum.The team is based around gaining momentum to get a big hit and doing residual damage by rocks.Now with the introduction done time to get to the building!

I started building off on a core of mega diancie+speacial defensive jirachi+defensive tangrowth for nice balance mega diancie team, as it not broken by much and works great for passive players, or people who are new to the ou metagame.My mega diancie's filler move is earth power so my team wont be too weak to tran and other common fire types.Diancie is also some what of a problem ao I atleast wanted to speed tie with it.It is a good idea to use attack investment on diancie to break through things like heatran,clefable and amoonguss but i decided to use 248 speacial attack since it can break through things like slowbro rotom-w better,which are annoying to my team.

I chose rocky helmet tangrowth since I have trouble with many physical attackers like mega lopunny, and because Tangrowth has immense bulk and surviving capabilities.It also pairs particularly well with the since I have no ground resist and I needed a way to check or counter bulky waters like rotom wash.I put hp fire and knock off to beat pokemon like ferrothorn amoonguss and scizor since they are very tough to deal with.This is the most important Pokemon on the team from my experience.

Next I added jirachi.I made the jirachi spdef because i needed something to set up rocks and able to counter a majority of special attacking pokemon like latios latias mega diancie.So I chose jirachi.Jirachi has a variety of trickss it can do,stealth rock,healing wish,iron head flinch,heart stamp flinch,fire punch,ice punch,u turn,and a lot more.To add on to its ridiculous coverage and utility it has pretty good stats,and an amazing typing.Overall this pokemon holds up the team very well providing momentum hazrds and even healing wish support for its teammates.

Next I added keldeo since i needed a good counter to fire types and dark types,and I needed a wall breaker.I also needed a better rock resist.keldeo works very well on this team as it is able to take on most forms of stall once amoonguss is weakened or fainted.It also does exceptionally well against balance taking on the likes of magnezone.bisharp,revenge killing manaphy,tyranitar,ferrothorn,mega scizor,and revenge killing mega gardevoir.

For my fith slot I added latios as a way to counter keldeo.Latios also works well as a ground immunity and can dish out some serious damge.Latios also can counter charizard y and lure in heatran or fire types to hit them with surf.Possibly my most important reason I added latios is to check poisons like amoonguss or mega venusaur.I didn't use defog because none of my pokemon are rock weak and I also have magic bounce.

As for the last slot its pretty obvious because I don't have any good speed on my team,and my team is begging for an electric immunity.You guessed it landorus-therian.I can sit here and type for days on how much i need this thing.I need landorus-therian for a better way to beat steel types,my team is kinda slow so it needed a fast pokemon,electric resist,momentum,and so much more.Landorus also does well vs bird spam and many offensive teams.It also helps with the "momentum chain" due to it getting acces to u turn.On top of all of that it is my main go to late game sweeper after keldeo and mega diancie have broke through the opposing team enough for landorus-therian to win.Lasty it is a good fighting resist for my team since latios isnt as physically bulky compared to landorus-therian.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-462701552 1600 4-0 vs offense
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-462701631 1600 3-0 vs balance.~corrupti0n/greninja warrior

Last edited:
small update time; there'll be more soonish, but i wanted to implement this stuff for now. thanks ABR and Finchinator for helping me with this n_n.

we removed the volcanion offense build since volc isn't really relevant and doesn't get much usage. we also removed the terrakion + mega latias bulky offense since that team (and teams with that type of framework) are a bit out of date now. in their place we added:
  • ABR & Omfuga's mega lopunny spikes balance: we have a similar spikes balance team with diancie already, but balance builds are pretty underrepresented in the archive & the two teams were different enough to justify adding this one. this team is really solid and has seen some high level play, and it does a great job showcasing balance builds that utilize hazard stacking + a speedy pokemon. furthermore, we sorta needed a team with lop :p.
  • Leftiez & ABR's keldtar bulky offense: this team was built for OLT and has been seen quite a bit. it's a great example of a standard, solid bulky offense build, and it showcases keldeo + tyranitar pursuit support.
  • Tele's hazard control stall: this team also saw a lot of use in OLT, and it showcases dugtrio + mega sableye. not much to be said here really.
like i said, we're gonna add more once i can get things organized, and we might also remove some teams. sorry this took so long !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)