Project ORAS NU Theorymons

Status
Not open for further replies.
I forgot about this thread and didn't get to discuss, bt here's how I like the slate in 5 words or less.

Lilligant: Nice coverage but little room
Rotom-F: Much more reliable but weaker
Ferroseed: Too many good options
Torterra: Amazing
Rapidash: Love the 115 speed teir
Musharna: Recover > Moonlight

My nom: Gonna second CF's Grass/Fairy Meganium again

Votes:
Torterra

and
Rapidash

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Torterra + Shell Smash
Rapidash + Base 115 Speed
Rotom-Frost + Ice Beam

Rapidash and Rotom-Frost tied for second place so they'll both be added to the metagame. Torterra won by a landslide (huehuehue) and is likely to be a terrifying threat between Shell Smash, Thick Fat, its good defense stat, and excellent coverage between Earthquake, Seed Bomb / Wood Hammer, and Stone Edge. Make sure to challenge your friends and test it out as it might be banworthy depending on how the metagame adapts to it.

Thanks to everyone who participated in this bonus week! As a result, all of this week's entries will be those suggested by you! Or at least, slightly modified versions of these suggestions. There's been lots of offensive threats added to the metagame over the last few weeks so I'm going to start focusing a little more on defensive threats too.

Smeargle + Oblivious
Furfrou + Slack Off
Stoutland + Extreme Speed
Wormadam-Trash + Sticky Web
Altaria with Dragon/Fairy type
Meganium + Fairy-type + Unaware + Play Rough + Moonblast (yikes)

I'm actually going to be on holiday for the rest of this week so please discuss these Pokemon until Sunday 30th October when I will start the voting. Also take the time to challenge your friends on Quite Quiet's private server during this time; I'll be giving a special prize to the person who I think makes the best post about the current theorymons metagame (so not including this week's voting options). This person will get to choose two of the next week's slate entries, so good luck!

Last edited:
Oblivious Smeargle (This was mine I think?)
Call me Taunt bait no more. Smeargle can now set up hazards safely and doesn't have to run Mental Herb, meaning that you can run Focus Sash/Eject Button (Lead) or, I dunno, Scarf Switcheroo? Pretty good

Slack Off Furfrou (My nom)
YAY! WE MADE IT.
I loved using Specially Defensive (Fur Coat patches up the defensive) in early ORAS, but it's lack of recovery held it back. Now that is has recovery, it can function as a pretty good wall with nice defenses, recovery, Toxic, and even access to Refresh (my fav). Overall, really good and my past self is screaming in delight.

EKiller Stoutland
HUH?!
I'M SORRY, HUH?!
ARE WE TRYING TO BREAK THE META?!
Okay, I'm over reacting, but this is crazy. Stoutland has a really good 110 Attack stat and STAB AND a set up move (Just Work Up, but still). I think with the right set, this could be broken. Examples: Banded Stoutland can revenge kill VERY effectively by coming in with ESpeed, a bulky set could be run with ESpeed/Work Up/Rest/Sleep Talk or Crunch with Lefties or Chesto. Also, Sand Rush isn't a must for a really good offensive Stoutland.

Sticky Web Wormadam-Trash
Basically if Crustle was a Bug/Steel-type and that same thing gives it a niche, since Bug/Steel is a nice defensive typing. I wish it had recovery, though, like Wormy-Plant, that lucky duck.

Dragon/Fairy Regular Altaria
Mini MegAltaria, but without the good secondary Physical STAB (Why is Fairy's only Physical Move Play Rough?). This new type opens up all of the things options that Mega Altaria has (with Moonblast > Hyper Voice) AND nice defensive sets, too.... not much else I can say here.... is good XD
Grass/Fairy Unaware Meganium (We made it CF)
I like Meganium and I like it being actually useful. Grass/Fairy gives it a niche as the only now viable Pokemon with that typing (cuz Cottonee is WAY too hard to use). It has a great movepool with many, many, many options and it's just great. Then, on top of that, give it Unaware and now you can deal with Lilligant! In fact, this is a perfect Lilli counter. Not bad

Here's two sets I thought of:
Meganium @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Play Rough / Petal Bizzard
- Swords Dance
- Substitute
- Synthesis

Meganium @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Aromatherapy
- Toxic
- Synthesis

My nom: Calm Mind Phoine
It's CM Mana with better bulk and less power. It would be great

Last edited:

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Nice Overgrow. Oh and to prevent this from being a completely bad post here's a stall team I whipped up quickly.

Phione @ Eviolite
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Rain Dance
- Scald
- Toxic
- Rest

Probopass @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Power Gem
- Volt Switch

Claydol @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Bold Nature
- Earth Power
- Rapid Spin
- Psychic
- Recover

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 148 Def / 112 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Protect

Arbok @ Black Glasses
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Gunk Shot
- Pursuit
- Coil

Wigglytuff @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Def / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Disable
- Dazzling Gleam

The team doesn't have a spinblocker but meh. Went with Wigglytuff as a Wisher over Mega Audino so I could use priority Disable to cheese situations but tbh Mega Audino probably works here better. Arbok traps Colbur Xatu like nothing and is a decent lategame wincon if the opponent's remaining team can be cleaned easily. The team tries to spread hazards and Toxic and win that way; Magic Guard users screw the team over but Arbok is decent against Clefairy and Duosion so there's that. Defensive Claydol is a spinner for reasons and it pressures Steel- and Poison-types that avoid T-Spikes while Phione deals with Probopass and is an excellent general tank and status spreader.

Last edited:
Oblivious Smeargle.

Very nice upgrade, now immune to Taunt. Unfortunately it's still frail as hell and not that quick...but at least it doesn't have to waste a slot on Magic Coat any more. A nice touch, but I don't think it'll do too much for Smeargle.

Slack Off Furfrou

Hmm...reliable recovery is certainly an improvement, but the problem is it's still very passive. And unlike Mega Audino and Miltank it doesn't really do anything other than just sit there. It would be a buff, but I just don't think it would be enough to make Furfrou a viable pick over Miltank and Mega Audino - they can both act as clerics, while the former can set up Stealth Rock and the latter can also be a bulky sweeper.

Extreme Speed Stoutland

Are you fucking kidding?! This would be broken as all hell, as Yoshi said it gets Work Up and has a very solid 110 base Attack. At +1 it would ravage teams, and between Extreme Speed and Superpower it would have perfect coverage thanks to Scrappy. You could even stick Facade in there if you're worried about status. Not in a million years.

Sticky Web Wormadam-Trash

Now this is interesting. NU doesn't have a good Sticky Web setter bar Smeargle, and Wormadam's great typing combined with Overcoat would give it far more opportunities to switch in and set it up than Smeargle or Leavanny could ever hope for.

Dragon / Fairy Altaria

Shame it doesn't get Play Rough, but physically Fraxure's a better sweeper anyway. Draco Meteor / Moonblast / Fire Blast has perfect neutral coverage (I think), and it could now check Fighting types much more reliably as it wouldn't have to fear Stone Edge. It could also reliably shut down Gurdurr. No Stealth Rock weakness is good too. Good stuff, but it'll still be very weak.

Grass / Fairy Meganium with Unaware, Play Rough and Moonblast

Yay my nomination made it! And it got shiny new STABs as well! Unaware would give it a huge niche over Tangela and Vileplume - it could now beat Gurdurr, Mega Audino that lack Fire Blast, Nasty Plot Mismagius, Malamar, Musharna that don't run Stored Power and even Swords Dance Samurott. It can wall most of the tier's Fighting types; if this became popular I predict that many of them would start running Ice or Poison coverage to hit it.

Overall an interesting slate.

Oblivious Smeargle:
Something I remember suggesting. Would slightly improve it as no more Magic Coat. It'll still rely on Focus Sash though, but its closest way to having Smeargle be more viable in NU without breaking it or doing something weird like giving it Sturdy.

Slack Off Furfrou:
Better, but still overall inferior to the other defensive Normal-types in the tier.

Extreme Speed Stoutland:
I created a monster, didn't I? Yes, if you want someone to blame for suggesting this, here I am right here. It's borked as all hell, though I'd like to see how it'd preform in a tier such as UU. (I think it'd be a bit too powerful for RU as well, but I dunno)

Sticky Web Wormadam:
Great defensive typing would give this a niche on Sticky Web teams, an uncommon playstyle to begin with. Just wish it had recovery though.

Dragon/Fairy Altaria:
Great defensive and offensive boon all around. Has Roost for recovery as well.

Meganium:
Without a doubt it'd be the biggest improvement of the whole slate. Gives it a great niche over its peers, and with Unaware AND recovery it could wall a great deal of threats. I guess it'd be the return of Gen 4 NU Meganium? I don't know. Either way, it sucks that it remained pure Grass when Fairy-type was added, as it would've been great as a Grass/Fairy and STAB as is.

Em

formerly Based Sexy Pants
Analysis of the new slates:

Alright, but not a huge buff by any means. Honestly there has never been a huge amount of Taunt users in NU, especially that outspeed Smeargle. I don't think that this will be used that much, but it's something that can help Smeargle.

Seems pretty cool, but after doing some calcs, it isn't really as bulky as it looks. Any super effective hit should be doing like 80%, and I feel like this would still be outclassed by pretty much every other bulky Mon. Really it's best set still lies in an offensive set, even with Slack Off, and there's not much reason to run this over MAudino/Miltank.

Everyone seems to think this is broken, so here's a fun calc.

252+ Atk Choice Band Stoutland Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Arceus-Bug: 163-193 (42.7 - 50.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Nevermind that that's Arceus-Bug (don't let your memes be dreams), that still 2HKO's after SR. One will be hard pressed to find switch ins. If it carries Crunch, it can also 2HKO Musharna, and Mesprit, and it OHKO's things like Swellow, and can do like 90 to Skuntank. Would be extremely fun to use, but really shows how much we sleep on this Mon, considering Return has 22 more base damage. Overall, this is probably broken.

Webs are fun to use, and so is Wormadam. Without access to Synthesis, it unfortunately has issues with sustainability, but it serves as a nice Normal check regardless. I feel like Sticky Web is hard to fit on Wormadam though, as it's already running ProTox, and SR, so even without an attack it has 3 of it's moves taken. Yeah you can replace Protect, but then it can't live as long, or do as much. Maybe as a throw on to Hyper Offense it could be alright, but Smeargle pretty much outclasses this. The real buff it needs is recovery in my opinion. Leech Seed/Synthesis could take it farther as an annoying wall that is niche, yet fun to use. Basically give it Plant Cloak's move set, or whatever it's called.

An interesting thing to point out that nobody else on this thread pointed out is what it loses from gaining it's Fairy type. Specifically it loses Ground immunity, and STAB Flying moves. On standard sets, Flying STAB is nowhere to be found, but DD Power Herb loses out. While on the topic of DD, it doesn't have Play Rough, so that would be a desirable buff. Besides DD sets, it's Ice weakness makes it so that it doesn't have to fear things like HP Ice anymore, which is good. Losing it's SR weakness makes it an even greater Fire check now, as it's not forced to click Roost every time it comes in. Overall a decent buff, and one that I would like to see.

Seems pretty cool in theory. Unaware helps it check Malamar, and the Fairy type to boot really helps. It does face some issues from Skuntank, but if it predicts the switch in Skuntank will be losing a sizable chunk of HP.

252 Atk Meganium Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Skuntank: 222-262 (63.9 - 75.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Still getting outsped by fast Skuntank is a shame, but once Skuntank (and other Poison's such as Weezing and Plume) is gone, SD Meganium does work. Overall a pretty awesome buff, that I would love to see. Also Fairy type helps it hit things such as the aforementioned Malamar, check things like Gurdurr (who is also hindered by Unaware), Hariyama, etc., and helps it hit things that before it needed Outrage to hit, such as Dragon types, and Flying types. Overall a sweet buff, and one I personally would love to see.

Also I want to renominate Sudowoodo with Grass tying, and Head Smash. I made a post on this early on in this thread (first page actually), and I feel that it would be a great addition to the metagame as a neat wallbreaker, and Trick Room abuser.

Also fun fact about Head Smash Sudowoodo, you can obtain it in HGSS with some weird Mimic Ditto Glitch. You have to Mimic Transform, then use it on a Mon with Head Smash or something like that. It's pretty cool.

twinkay

these bugs love all the sugar in my blood
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Theorymons seems fun, i'll join in

Smeargle
Smeargle with Oblivious a lot better than previously. Taunt was one of the biggest problems Smeargle faced, and it especially hindered Skill Swap variants (the best variants imo). Stuff like Skuntank and Taunt Haunter are a lot less problematic now and Smeargle can really shine. Sticky Web teams are a lot better now which is scary. Primeape also is buffed, being a big threat to webs. Grass types and other Sleep answers too (Malamar) can be a big threat to webs as well. Overall a very cool buff.

Furfrou
75 / 120 / 90 defenses are decent paired with reliable recovery, and with an expansive movepool at your disposal, Furfrou seems like it will be a very interesting defensive threat to play around with in the current meta. Chople Berry + ZHB or just ZHB variants look the most interesting to me, as these lure common Fighting-types and allow you to 2HKO with ZHB. A standard defensive pivot seems to be the most viable to me, but a LO + 3 Attacks could be interesting as well. One thing to note is that Furfrou has a fantastic speed tier, meaning it outspeeds even the likes of Xatu, Jynx, Primeape, Miltank, and Simisage. It's a bit underwhelming, but overall could hold a solid niche in the metagame.

Stoutland
Banded Stoutland hits like a truck, and Extreme Speed is a great way to solve it's speed issues. A lot of people have been saying this is broken but there are still some mons that can check it, mainly because it can be easy to take advantage of for some teams when it's locked into a move. Steelix and Rhydon in particular can eat up every move except Superpower. Chople + Counter Regirock should probably become standard tbh. Oh, and Torkoal is becoming viable (well, probably not lol). But although this thing may have some checks (obscure or not) it was almost certainly be banned. Why? Because Hyper Offense is literally unviable and have to rely on Stoutland speed ties to beat Stoutland (unless their running webs), which is kind of crazy. A ridiculous threat, but would be fun (or maybe not) to play around with while it was in the tier. Shoutouts chilan berry phy defensive hitmonchan

Wormadam-Trash
More Webs! No, seriously, Wormadam actually seems to maybe be a viable web setter. Although it has issues, a set with Rocks / Webs / Toxic / Steel STAB seems to be alright. Bug / Steel is a very good typing, and Max Defense actually checks a lot of Normal types. Overcoat is also a neat ability, allowing it to check things such as Mixed Abomasnow and Lilligant better. I even dreamed up a set of SR / SW / Struggle Bug / Flash Cannon as a neat way not only to check physical attacker but special ones too. Fire weakness sucks though, so that needs to be handled. Wormadam + Ninetales or CB Flareon cores looks pretty sick though. Great option for Sand as well. A minor but significant buff.

Altaria
Dragon / Fairy has a Fighting, Bug and Dark resistance as well as a Dragon immunity. It loses a Ground immunity but I think this change is for the best in the long run. Checks Fighting types very well, not having to worry about Ice Punch Hitmonchan and the like anymore. Specs also got a buff in STAB Moonblast. I don't have much to say about this, but it seems to be a promising defensive mon in the meta.

Meganium

80 / 100 / 100 are nice, even defenses and with Ice it loses its Bug weakness which it helps it deal with mons such as Pinsir and Primeape. Unaware is a great ability and Leech Seed and Synthesis as well as an interesting status movepool with moves like Refresh, Dual Screens, and Aromatherapy make for a great defensive grass type. Meganium also has an offensive presence, and if you though it's status movepool was good (which you probably didn't), it's nothing compared to Meganium's colorful physical movepool. Heck, SD evens seems viable! Aside from a crippling Poison weakness this thing looks like it will be a good defensive mon.

Sorry for the absurdly long post and have good day!
e: forgot about speedpass, which PoH pointed out

Last edited:

poh

<?>
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Theorymons seems fun, i'll join in

Smeargle
Smeargle with Oblivious a lot better than previously. Taunt was one of the biggest problems Smeargle faced, and it especially hindered Skill Swap variants (the best variants imo). Stuff like Skuntank and Taunt Haunter are a lot less problematic now and Smeargle can really shine. Sticky Web teams are a lot better now which is scary. Primeape also is buffed, being a big threat to webs. Grass types and other Sleep answers too (Malamar) can be a big threat to webs as well. Smeargle can also trick people into thinking it's running a lead set and, as they switch into a hazard remover or a sleep fodder, you can set up something gimmicky like Geomancy Pass. Overall a very cool buff.

Furfrou
75 / 120 / 90 defenses are decent paired with reliable recovery, and with an expansive movepool at your disposal, Furfrou seems like it will be a very interesting defensive threat to play around with in the current meta. Chople Berry + ZHB or just ZHB variants look the most interesting to me, as these lure common Fighting-types and allow you to 2HKO with ZHB. A standard defensive pivot seems to be the most viable to me, but a LO + 3 Attacks could be interesting as well. One thing to note is that Furfrou has a fantastic speed tier, meaning it outspeeds even the likes of Xatu, Jynx, Primeape, Miltank, and Simisage. It's a bit underwhelming, but overall could hold a solid niche in the metagame.

Stoutland
Banded Stoutland hits like a truck, and Extreme Speed is a great way to solve it's speed issues. A lot of people have been saying this is broken but there are still some mons that can check it, mainly because it can be easy to take advantage of for some teams when it's locked into a move. Steelix and Rhydon in particular can eat up every move except Superpower. Chople + Counter Regirock should probably become standard tbh. Oh, and Torkoal is becoming viable (well, probably not lol). But although this thing may have some checks (obscure or not) it was almost certainly be banned. Why? Because Hyper Offense is literally unviable and have to rely on Stoutland speed ties to beat Stoutland (unless their running webs), which is kind of crazy. A ridiculous threat, but would be fun (or maybe not) to play around with while it was in the tier. Shoutouts chilan berry phy defensive hitmonchan

Wormadam-Trash
More Webs! No, seriously, Wormadam actually seems to maybe be a viable web setter. Although it has issues, a set with Rocks / Webs / Toxic / Steel STAB seems to be alright. Bug / Steel is a very good typing, and Max Defense actually checks a lot of Normal types. Overcoat is also a neat ability, allowing it to check things such as Mixed Abomasnow and Lilligant better. I even dreamed up a set of SR / SW / Struggle Bug / Flash Cannon as a neat way not only to check physical attacker but special ones too. Fire weakness sucks though, so that needs to be handled. Wormadam + Ninetales or CB Flareon cores looks pretty sick though. Great option for Sand as well. A minor but significant buff.

Altaria
Dragon / Fairy has a Fighting, Bug and Dark resistance as well as a Dragon immunity. It loses a Ground immunity but I think this change is for the best in the long run. Checks Fighting types very well, not having to worry about Ice Punch Hitmonchan and the like anymore. Specs also got a buff in STAB Moonblast. I don't have much to say about this, but it seems to be a promising defensive mon in the meta.

Meganium

80 / 100 / 100 are nice, even defenses and with Ice it loses its Bug weakness which it helps it deal with mons such as Pinsir and Primeape. Unaware is a great ability and Leech Seed and Synthesis as well as an interesting status movepool with moves like Refresh, Dual Screens, and Aromatherapy make for a great defensive grass type. Meganium also has an offensive presence, and if you though it's status movepool was good (which you probably didn't), it's nothing compared to Meganium's colorful physical movepool. Heck, SD evens seems viable! Aside from a crippling Poison weakness this thing looks like it will be a good defensive mon.

Sorry for the absurdly long post and have good day!
Yeah good luck passing Geomancy in a tier where you can't pass speed. Also NU has like 3 relevant taunters so this "buff" isn't all that special. Furfrou "luring" Fighting types with Zen Headbutt when Return does more or less the same damage ok...

Amazing upgrade that would make Stoutland a viable mon to use, not only in Sand. Picking off weakened mons with a strong STAB priority move can't mean any good for your opponent. With Extreme Speed it can function as a revengekiller as you 2HKO every mon that's faster than Stout bar Klinklang and Miltank. With his new move, Stoutland would definitely rise in viability to atleast something like B-

Wormadam-T might have a good typing and some handy utility moves but it's still pretty mediocre. Yes this would give it a niche over other Websetters since it's more solid but Webs aren't that great atm but with this new addition it might get trending.

Meganium + Fairy-type + Unaware + Play Rough + Moonblast

Interesting buff giving it a lot of extra stuff to work around with. Unaware gives it more defensive utility than it already has and potentially more setup opportunities with SD. Speaking of SD, combined with Petal Blizzard, Earthquake and Play Rough gives it perfect neutral coverge so might be a cool offensive set. Sadly it is now 4x weak to Poison. Here's a set i would use:

Meganium @ Lum Berry / Life Orb
Ability: Overgrow
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Play Rough
- Petal Blizzard
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

yogi

I did not succumb...
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Ehh, haven't done this in a while so I thought id contribute a bit n_n

Smeargle
Access to oblivious would actually help smeargle function as a better suicide lead in our current meta, being able to lay webs vs the somewhat popular lead archeops. This would in-turn allow for a team with smeargle to have a much better matchup vs more offensive archetypes such as kangaspikes or even rain/sun teams that sometimes utilise taunt liepard. Not a massive buff but it'd make sticky webs a slightly more viable option and its certainly an upgrade from its other abilities (bar the broken moody); not being infatuated by random cute charm mons is also fun :3 I'm not going to put down a smeargle set, mainly because it'd just be the standard one with the inclusion of oblivious.

Furfrou
Access to reliable recovery would actually make this mon somewhat viable, as it wouldn't have to rely on rest. It'd help it function as a stronger wall boasting a massive 480 def fully invested, which isn't far off the defences of a mon like regirock. This in conjunction with moves like refresh and toxic would allow it to be an overall decent, albeit niche, wall that could fit on more bulkier playstyles. It still does seem hard to justify over something like mega-audino however, so this wouldn't exactly be a ground-breaking change. One thing that's quite interesting to note is how it can reliably check a lot of the normal types in the tier, especially the physical ones:

252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Tauros Rock Climb vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Furfrou: 103-122 (29 - 34.4%) -- 99.8% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Toxic Boost Zangoose Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Furfrou: 194-230 (54.8 - 64.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Silk Scarf Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Furfrou: 102-121 (28.8 - 34.1%) -- 99.1% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Guts Swellow Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Furfrou: 127-150 (35.8 - 42.3%) -- 93% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

This in itself is a rather unique niche for a normal type and something mega-audino isn't able to pull off, so I could see a potential niche developing in that.
Something else to note is how it can stall out a decent amount of set up mons with toxic or phase them out with something such as roar, which again mega-audino and miltank fall short of when it comes to physical sweepers. A final nice thing is that its speed tier allows it to hit 241 speed with only 4 evs invested, allowing it to outspeed several mons around the 240 and 239 area (e.g. adamant samurott, modest ludicolo, max speed abomasnow...). Here's a set that i'd probably use with slack off:

Furfrou @ Leftovers
Ability: Fur Coat
Impish Nature
- Slack Off
- Toxic
- Refresh
- Return

Stoutland
Ohh boy. This is an example of something being able to go from 0-100 with access to just one move. Extreme speed would give this mon reliable ways of dealing with the myriad of priority available in the tier and would even allow it to run a bulkier set (similar to how linoone functions) as anything faster would just be taken out by extreme speed. This would also give this mon a significant niche outside of sand teams and allow it to content with the premier offensive normal types of the tier in tauros, swellow and kangaskhan. Being able to almost reliably take out faster mons that have access to things such as will-o-wisp in rotom and mismagius, and the ability to run scrappy and an item besides choice band means it would be a lot harder to switch in to. Being able to be slower than mons like hitmonchan and shiftry whilst still being able to take them out with little chip damage would put this up there with the rest of the premier normal types. Some calcs showing off its power:

252+ Atk Silk Scarf Stoutland Extreme Speed vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Hitmonchan: 186-220 (76.8 - 90.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Silk Scarf Stoutland Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Shiftry: 258-304 (80.3 - 94.7%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Silk Scarf Stoutland Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Samurott: 175-207 (52.8 - 62.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Silk Scarf Stoutland Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Swellow: 229-271 (87.7 - 103.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Silk Scarf Stoutland Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tauros: 160-189 (54.9 - 64.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Choice Specs Swellow Boomburst vs. 72 HP / 4 SpD Stoutland: 207-244 (62.9 - 74.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Tauros Rock Climb vs. 72 HP / 0 Def Stoutland: 227-269 (68.9 - 81.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Here's a sample set that I'd use:

Stoutland @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit / Façade / Crunch
- Superpower
- Return
- Extreme Speed

184 speed allows it to speed creep max base speed 60 and the 72 HP gives it slightly better bulk to take on some of the stronger attackers of the tier (as seen above).

Wormadam-Trash
This is an interesting one actually, with the inclusion of sticky web not much changes with this mon (or much significant that is), but it almost puts it in the same boat as something smeargle in how it functions. As seen with the likes of scizor and forretress, bug/steel is a fantastic defensive (and offensive) typing, having only one weakness in fire. With access to sticky web (and its already ability to use skill swap) it can provide a more defensive role than smeargle was previously able to offer, with the cost of not being extremely passive. Here's a sample set that I'd use:

Wormadam-Trash (F) @ Leftovers / Mental Herb
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Toxic
- Skill Swap
- Protect / Gyro Ball
- Sticky Web

Altaria:
This would make altaria a fantastic stall/defensive mon, able to take on a lot of the tiers top threats/mons that it usually cant beat with the flying type, e.g. hitmonchan, ice beam lanturn, shiftry; whilst still being able to beat mons that now threaten it more with coverage moves in fire blast and moonblast. It does lose a ground immunity but also means it's not 2x weak to stealth rock, allowing it to switch in with more ease vs threats, so it's a decent trade-off in that respect. The specs set also gets a reasonable buff by gaining a STAB to moonblast, meaning it can break fighting types and dark types way more easily.
Here are some sample sets that I'd use (I'm not going to include the standard physically defensive set as nothing changes):

Altaria @ Choice Specs / Expert Belt
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Moonblast
- Rest

The standard specs set but with moonblast over dragon pulse. It's now able to nuke mons a lot more effectively and can put more offensive pressure on fighting types whilst still retaining the ability to hit both steel and poison types hard with fire blast and draco meteor, respectively. The addition of the fairy type means that it can switch in to far more than it could with the flying type, so I think expert belt could be a somewhat viable option on it, allowing it to use rest with less restrictions.

Altaria @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 236 SpD / 20 Spe
Calm Nature
- Fire Blast
- Roost
- Toxic
- Moonblast / Haze / Heal Bell

I think with the addition of fairy typing and the removal of its flying type altaria could function effectively as a spd wall, being able to stall out set-up mons with relative ease whilst still retaining enough natural defence and its new typing for it to take on physical attackers.

Meganium
This is a rather weird one. It adds a lot to the otherwise worst starter out of all the games and gives it arguably one of the best abilities in unaware, and as seen with whimsicott in UU, grass+fairy is a good typing. However, unlike with altaria, I don't think it'd benefit from the addition of the fairy typing as much as it seems it would. With whimsicott in UU, dark, dragon, water and fighting types are the biggest threats in the tier whilst fairy+grass typing doesn't help fend off the bigger threats in our own tier. Its speed tier also comes in to play here, as its rather lacklustre in NU when its not back by an expansive movepool or decent priority, neither of which is has. Being 4x weak to poison, 2x weak to ice, fire and steel really hinders what it can do, and whilst I accept that with earthquake it can mitigate those weaknesses somewhat it still has the issue that its trying to be both a defensive and offensive mon. It still could see use as a somewhat decent set-up mon with SD, but the more defensive sets seem rather difficult to incorporate into a team :/
Anyway, here's a set that I'd use:

Meganium @ Leftovers / Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Play Rough
- Petal Blizzard
- Swords Dance

With play rough meganium can hit most of the tier for at least neutral damage and can bypass defensive (and offensive) buffs that the opposing mon has set-up, with a jolly nature it can outspeed offensive garbodor and most skuntanks (bar the offensive ones).

I'll be giving a special prize to the person who I think makes the best post about the current theorymons metagame (so not including this week's voting options). This person will get to choose two of the next week's slate entries, so good luck!
Since nobody's done this yet, so lemme get this EZ money get the submissions train rolling.

The current NU Theorymon metagame is a pretty offensive metagame, with some defensive stars. For starters, I'll go in-depth with some of the individual threats in this metagame. Firstly, Whiscash, getting a huge buff thanks to Simple, shines with it's great overall typing and amazing Simple Dragon Dance combination that's only matched by Klingklang's Shift Gear to an extent. With Dragon Dance, after 1 boost, Whiscash can outspeed the whole unboosted metagame when Jolly, even Ninjask, and punch a whole in teams at 510 Attack. After 2 boosts, Whiscash can clean up pretty much any team in the world. However, before 2 boosts, it is pretty weak and lacks Ice coverage, so tanks and Grass-types can deal with it. Speaking of boosters, Klingklang, getting a boost in Earthquake, also shines. With an almost-equally-amazing boosting move in Shift Gear, great STAB, and the extra coverage from Earthquake, Klingklang after a boost poses a huge threat to any team. With Earthquake, Klingklang can now deal with opposing Steel-types and Fire-types barring Ferroseed, which previously stopped it dead, letting it run through teams more easily. Speaking of Fire, Pyroar is another huge buffed threat. Thanks to getting Flare Blitz 109 Attack, equal to Special Attack, Pyroar gets many, many options to run. Along with the classic special sets, Pyroar can now run Physical sets, and even Mixed Work Up sets, making Pyroar a very versatile and powerful Pokemon. Backed by a nice 106 Speed, Pyroar is very hard to deal with once it gets going, further cemented by getting Moxie to boost it's new Attack, allowing it to sweep through teams late game. Special mentions go to Ampharos, who, if used effectively, can OHKO or 2HKO everything in NU and PU without going down itself, thanks to Tail Glow and Electivire, who's new toy in Bolt Strike makes Choice Scarf sets and Choice Banded sets terribly hard to deal with. On the defensive side, while Pokemon like Garbodor and Piloswine with Slack Off and Lanturn with Wish are absolutely great, one Pokemon stands out: Wigglytuff. With a new ability in Prankster, Wigglytuff went from irrelevant in PU to a top threat in NU. Prankster lets Wigglytuff take advantage of it's deep status movepool, including Toxic, Thunder Wave, Disable, Wish, Heal Bell, Stealth Rock, Dual Screens, RestTalk, or even Copycat (S/Os to Copycat Reversal Riolu). With all of these options having +1 priority, Wigglytuff is the ultimate support Pokemon able to be a cleric, hazard setter, and status spreader. On top of all of this, the Tuff Stuff has a pretty decent 140/45/50 bulk, and a nice Normal/Fiary typing, having only 2 weaknesses, good resistances, and an immunity.
Thanks to the above Pokemon and more, offensive and balanced playstyles shine in the NU Theorymon meta, with many dangerous offensive Pokemon, while Stall and bulky offense still have a place to shine.

Alright, throwing my hat into the ring for the best post competition. Since the Flying Press isn't taking any more articles before SuMo comes out, here's my attempt at an NU Theorymon article.

Love in Theory and Practice: A guide to NU Theorymon

Intro

Getting tired of standard NU? This could well be your solution. The basic idea of NU Theorymon is to take otherwise overlooked and forgotten Pokémon, and give them upgrades. These usually come in the form of new abilities or new moves, but they can also give new typing and in some cases, a boost to base stats. It's interesting to see what the playerbase comes up with. Here are some of the more threatening Pokémon you'll encounter in this metagame.

Offensive Pokémon

Simple Whiscash

Whiscash has always been very underwhelming for a physical sweeper: average Speed and low Attack meant it was often outclassed by the likes of Shell Smash Carracosta or Swords Dance Samurott. But with Simple, Whiscash can use Dragon Dance to double its Attack and Speed in one turn, letting it destroy offensive teams. Its good Water/Ground typing gives it opportunity to set up on Pokémon like Rhydon, Lanturn and Regirock, while its decent bulk makes it tough to revenge kill without Grass moves. As threatening as it might be though, a lack of physical Ice moves means Whiscash needs opposing bulky Grass types down before starting to sweep. But despite these faults, Whiscash is a major threat that one would be a fool to take lightly.

Whiscash @ Life Orb / Lum Berry
Ability: Simple
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge / Zen Headbutt

Thick Fat + Shell Smash Torterra

Torterra was lucky enough to win 2 slates. The first buff it got was the ability Thick Fat, which negates its Fire weakness and reduces its Ice weakness to X2. With this ability, it can avoid a OHKO from Cryogonal's Freeze Dry. Shell Smash turns it into a very threatening late game sweeper. For the price of -1 Defence and Special Defence, Shell Smash basically gives Swords Dance, Nasty Plot and Rock Polish all in one. Its good physical bulk can make it hard to revenge kill, and it can easily set up on the likes of Rhydon, Quagsire, Gastrodon and physical Skuntank. Grass STAB also lets it be one of the few physical attackers that can beat Quagsire. Shell Smash renders Rock Polish and Swords Dance obsolete, as it basically combines them. You need to prepare for Shell Smash Torterra in NU Theorymon.

Torterra does still have problems though. Even at +2, Scarf Jynx still outruns and OHKOes most of the time with Ice Beam. Weezing still stops it cold, and Torterra still struggles to break through bulky Grass types.

Torterra @ White Herb / Meadow Plate / Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
Jolly Nature
- Shell Smash
- Earthquake
- Wood Hammer / Seed Bomb
- Stone Edge

Calm Mind Samurott

Samurott's always been a major force in NU due to its ability to run 2 very different sets, which made it very difficult to counter. Calm Mind takes this a step further, putting Samurott in a club alongside the likes of Hydreigon, Kyurem-B and Rayquaza: it now has no guaranteed counters. There are two types of Calm Mind users: some aim to boost once or twice and smash up as much as they can, the other aim to boost over multiple turns and slowly bulk up. Samurott can do both of these well, and annoyingly both Calm Mind sets have different checks. Samurott's only real flaw is its average Speed. Its Calm Mind sets lose to Lanturn and Jynx, but its Swords Dance set still smashes them to bits.

Samurott @ Life Orb
Ability: Torrent
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot / Hidden Power Electric

Samurott @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 116 SpA / 144 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Substitute / Taunt
- Scald
- Ice Beam / Grass Knot

Tail Glow Ampharos

Tail Glow is a boosting move most special sweepers would die for. Tail Glow lets Ampharos demolish defensive teams; very little in the tier can avoid a 2HKO from it at +3, and thanks to Agility it can even run a double booster set to be able to function as both a threatening wallbreaker and a late game cleaner. Mono Electric typing is also surprisingly good defensively, granting it only a single weakness. This combined with its decent bulk makes it surprisingly hard to revenge kill. Unlike most Electric types, it actually has a good movepool, with useful coverage in Focus Blast, Hidden Power and Signal Beam. Ampharos is let down by low Speed though, and while its typing only gives it one weakness, it doesn't have many useful resistances either.

Ampharos @ Lum Berry / Life Orb / Leftovers
Ability: Static
Modest Nature
- Tail Glow
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Focus Blast

Ampharos @ Life Orb / Shuca Berry
Ability: Static
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Modest Nature
- Tail Glow
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Agility

Ground / Dark Sandslash with Mold Breaker

Like Torterra, Sandslash was lucky enough to be nominated for 2 slates, and it won both times. Its newfound Dark typing makes it the best offensive Rapid Spinner in NU, as no Ghost type is going to want to take a STAB Knock Off to the face. Mold Breaker is a wonderful ability for Sandslash, letting it smash Levitating Pokémon with its STAB Earthquake. It can also set up Stealth Rock against Xatu, and lets sets with Swords Dance beat Quagsire. Ground / Dark moves have excellent netural coverage, with only Shiftry and Cacturne (and if it wins the slate, Meganium) resisting both. Like Luxray though, Dark typing is a double edged sword: a Psychic immunity is nice, but it comes with Bug, Fighting and Fairy weaknesses. Sandslash is also let down by low Speed.

Sandslash @ Lum Berry
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 188 HP / 252 Atk / 68 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin
- Swords Dance

Defensive Pokémon

Roost Mantine

Reliable recovery's always a good thing. Roost lets Mantine Defog reliably throughout the match, as it heals off Stealth Rock damage, and lets it beat Water types lacking Electric coverage much more easily. Its typing gives it 4 resistances and thanks to Water Absorb, 2 immunities. Really that's all there is to say about Roost Mantine - it's a good bulky Water type. It is still straddled with a 4X Electric weakness though, and is weak to the very Stealth Rock it aims to remove.

Sets:

Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Roost
-
Scald
- Air Slash
- Defog / Toxic

Solid Rock Regirock

Did you look at Regirock's 80 / 200 / 100 defences and think "hmm, not quite enough"? No, neither did I, but hey that's what's happened. Solid Rock turns what was already one of the bulkiest Pokémon in the tier into a nigh unkillable monster. Solid Rock and no 4X weaknesses make Regirock extremely difficult to break, letting it easily set up Stealth Rock and Sunny Day. While lack of reliable recovery is an issue, it can still run a RestTalk set as Earthquake and Rock Slide offer excellent netural coverage. It is prone to being set up on though, and does struggle with threatening Pokémon like Torterra, Samurott and Steelix.

Sets:

Regirock @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Slide
- Drain Punch / Earthquake
- Thunder Wave / Explosion

Regirock @ Heat Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Impish Nature
- Sunny Day
- Stone Edge
- Drain Punch / Earthquake
- Explosion

Regirock @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Adamant Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Rock Slide / Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Toxic Spikes + Spore Vileplume

Spore and Toxic Spikes transform Vileplume into one of the best status spreaders in NU. Toxic Spikes can put walls that lack Heal Bell or Refresh on a timer, while Spore is a welcome upgrade over Sleep Powder, as it will never miss. It can spread it reasonably well too - apart from Ferroseed (Toxic Spikes fodder), opposing Vileplume and possibly Torterra, no Grass-type in NU will want to switch in on Vileplume. Spore lets it shut down most sweepers that lack Sleep Talk, and its typing brings it useful Water, Electric, Fighting and Fairy weaknesses. However, it also comes with Fire, Ice and Psychic weaknesses.

Sets:

Vileplume @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Moonlight
- Giga Drain
- Toxic Spikes / Sludge Bomb

Wish Lanturn

With its great defensive typing and high HP stat, Lanturn can effectively pass the biggest Wishes in NU. While it does face competition from Mega Audino, who is much bulkier, Lanturn sets itself apart with its STAB Volt Switch to gain momentum and its higher HP stat, thus passing bigger Wishes. It can use Volt Switch fairly safely, as apart from Gastrodon and possibly Torterra, no Ground type will switch into Lanturn. Unlike Mega Audino, Lanturn can also use the aforementioned Volt Switch to safely bring in a teammate. However, Lanturn's great HP is undermined by average defences, and Ground type attacks are very common.

Sets:

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Volt Switch
- Scald
- Protect / Ice Beam

Honourable Mentions

Luxray gets Dark typing and Strong Jaw, turning it into a threatening wallbreaker. However, it's let down by lacklustre Speed. In a similar vein, Electrivire gets the mighty Bolt Strike, finally giving it a strong physical STAB. However, it struggles with bulky Ground types. Piloswine and Claydol both gain reliable recovery in the form of Slack Off and Recover respectively. Armaldo gains Skill Link and Pin Missile, making it extremely deadly against slow defensive teams. However, its lack of resistances makes it hard to switch in, and it struggles more against fast offensive teams. Marowak is in a similar boat, as despite gaining Sucker Punch, that can easily be played around. Probopass loses its X4 Ground weakness with Levitate, but it still lacks offensive presence and is still X4 weak to Fighting moves

Get Out There

NU Theorymon is a fun and diverse side tier that you should definitely try. We all have those Pokémon that we love to use but just aren't viable. This could be your chance to make them viable.

Last edited:
I have an idea...

(S/Os to Fetch with Ruff Ruffman)
The server's missing it's mystique
Only on the forums every week.
And, out of the blue. I saw a pair of pants.
AND BAM, THAT'S WHEN IT CAME TO ME.

Told my vision for a revive,
He loved it! It'll make it alive!

Went to the forums share online,
But their alarm....

Well, you get the point, I have an idea to get the server at least a little more active.
What if we take a page out of the CaP project's book and have a laddering challenge? This would attract more people who post on this thread to the server while also lasting a long time, bring in more consistent activity. Plus, with all of these games going on, we get to see what's good and what's not?

erisia

Innovative new design!
Thanks for the thorough discussion on the current slate! The best post award goes to ChrystalFalchion. Please vote for your two favorite mons by Monday 31st October (spoopy).

Smeargle + Oblivious
Furfrou + Slack Off
Altaria with Dragon/Fairy type
Meganium + Fairy-type + Unaware + Play Rough + Moonblast

Em

formerly Based Sexy Pants
I am well aware that I missed the post competition thing, but I've been planning to write this for a few days, and I'm not really concerned about not getting a chance to be "best post". This is really just more my thoughts on the metagame. I would like to note however that this does include some bias and just straight calcs as opposed to how the metagame has developed, as saying that there even is a metagame for such an underplayed tier isn't really right.

Also major shoutouts to Yoshiblaze for discussing the metagame with me, talking about potential of each of the Mons changed and how that impacts the rest of the NU meta, and for the battles we had.

I'm going to start with what I feel will have the most influence on the meta, and work my way from there. Also keep in mind that the ranks will not be based off of regular NU, but rather how the additions fit in the meta. Basically this is my excuse for not putting Garb as S rank like it is in actual NU.
S Rank:

Starting off we have Whiscash. With the addition of Simple, it legitimately sweeps teams so easily. At +4 +4, with only 2 turns of set up, it destroys the tier. Even with just +2 +2 it still screws up the tier quite a bit. It doesn't even need LO, being able to sport Rindo Berry/Lum Berry, and as long as you have some chip damage on their physical walls, which often can't touch you very much, you literally just win. Hopefully the addition of Unaware Meganium makes it a lot easier to manage, and the return of Quagsire is a godsend. Regardless, it still does it's role extremely well.
+4 252+ Atk Whiscash Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Miltank: 270-318 (68.5 - 80.7%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and 2 layers of Spikes
+4 252+ Atk Whiscash Earthquake vs. 240 HP / 252+ Def Musharna: 306-361 (70.6 - 83.3%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and 2 layers of Spikes
+4 252+ Atk Whiscash Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 16 Def Solid Rock Regirock: 307-364 (84.3 - 100%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Also if you have Memento support, gg.

Speaking of Memento, Oobitydoo can benefit greatly from it. With Agility + Tail Glow, it can outspeed a large portion of the metagame, and one shot it in return. With 184 Speed EV's (assuming neutral nature, A.K.A. Modest), at +2 it can outspeed Swellow, the fastest Mon in the tier. While Scarfers are somewhat more common than they used to be, they are still really rare in NU in comparison to other tiers, making this a serious threat. Again hoping that Meganium balances this out. Shoutouts to that Unaware Fairy Meganium.
+3 252+ SpA Ampharos Thunderbolt vs. 240 HP / 16 SpD Musharna: 379-447 (87.5 - 103.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+3 252+ SpA Ampharos Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Audino: 303-357 (73.9 - 87%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes
+3 252+ SpA Ampharos Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Solid Rock Regirock: 355-418 (97.5 - 114.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
Again keep in mind those calcs are taken against some of the bulkiest Mons in NU that really can't do anything back to Ampharos, and that Ampharos has no boosting item there (and yes I do know that nobody runs 252 252+ Regirock). Even if they're at full they still drop. Honestly I could see this and Whiscash going for suspect, unless every team decides to run Meganium/Quagsire. Interestingly enough, if you wanna be super jank, Ampharos can still run HP Poison to 2HKO 252 HP, 252 SpDef Meganium, sacrificing Focus Blast or Agility for it, or OHKO Quagsire with HP Grass after SR.

A Rank:

Somehow peeps were crazy enough to give Torterra both Thick Fat, and Shell Smash. This makes it the scariest sweeper in the tier minus the 2 threats mentioned above imo. It doesn't even have to run SS to be scary, meaning it can still run it's standard tanky set, and be fairly relevant throughout the match. This Mon is a huge threat, especially now that Articuno is banned. With the Shell Smash set, it just needs neutral 176 to outspeed Swellow. Also I suggest White Herb for the SS set to fully abuse that Thick Fat, which helps it not get revenged by Scarf Mesprit.
+2 252+ Atk Torterra Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Miltank: 223-264 (56.5 - 67%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery+2 252+ Atk Torterra Seed Bomb vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Mesprit: 178-211 (48.9 - 57.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Mesprit Ice Beam vs. 80 HP / 0 SpD Thick Fat Torterra: 216-256 (61.5 - 72.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Jynx Ice Beam vs. 80 HP / 0 SpD Thick Fat Torterra: 312-372 (88.8 - 105.9%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO (Why is this a roll??)
Not quite as dumb as Amphy and Whiscash, but still pretty scary to face. Also for a more defensive set, it loses it's Fire weakness, and can take Ice hits, which makes it super nice. Could serve as a nice Whiscash check.

This Mon is an actual lord, and it's not just because I'm biased towards things that one shot Pelipper. STAB Bolt Strike on top of it's monstrous 123 Attack stat is insane. I was testing around with a Scarf set earlier, and it's insanely good. One can make the argument that it has issues with Ground types, such as Gastrodon, Quagsire, Rhydon, Lix, and Sandslash (more on Sandslash later), but Lix dies to mixed sets with Flamethrower, mixed set can also lure Quag/Don/Gastro with HP Grass, and the physical set can eventually whittle down these with EQ.
252 Atk Life Orb Electivire Bolt Strike vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Miltank: 187-222 (47.4 - 56.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
4 SpA Life Orb Electivire Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 240 SpD Eviolite Rhydon: 187-224 (45.1 - 54.1%) -- 90.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
4 SpA Life Orb Electivire Flamethrower vs. 244 HP / 128 SpD Steelix: 192-229 (54.5 - 65%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Electivire Bolt Strike vs. 252 HP / 208+ Def Mega Audino: 193-228 (47 - 55.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Choice Band Electivire Earthquake vs. 40 HP / 152 Def Lanturn: 390-460 (97.2 - 114.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Choice Band Electivire Earthquake vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Steelix: 170-202 (48.2 - 57.3%) -- 69.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
Overall Evire seems pretty sweet with Bolt Strike, just because it nukes things once it's checks die.

Okay now at first glance, Sandslash doesn't look all too special. Yeah it beats Xatu, but really that feels like it's only addition. But after thinking about it a bit, and talking with Yoshiblaze, I honestly think it's a really good Scarfer, akin to Scarf Excadrill in OU. Adamant Scarf hits 343 Speed, outspeeding Pyroar by 1. Jolly allows it to hit 376 (or 377, I never remember if Scarf rounds up or down). Regardless, this allows it to now outspeed base 110's and Floatzel. Now if you've played OU you already know how good Scarf Rapid Spin is with Excadrill, so just imagine it here. The difference is this time you're using a Dark type, so if they try to Spin block you, they risk taking a 50/50 with Knock Off. An interesting benefit to Mold Breaker is screwing up Rotom, and Rotom-Frost, which you can both hit super effectively. Reasons for clicking EQ on Rotom is not wanting to risk Colbur, and if you're Choice lock'd they lose their EQ switch in. Mold Breaker also breaks through Solid Rock Regirock, and Sturdy Mons (not that those are that relevant post Crustle). Also you could run this on Sand if you want. Sand is underrated in NU, and it gets access to SD.
252 Atk Mold Breaker Sandslash Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Rotom: 338-398 (140.2 - 165.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Mold Breaker Sandslash Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Floatzel: 220-261 (70.7 - 83.9%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and 2 layers of Spikes
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Sandslash Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Regirock: 146-174 (40.1 - 47.8%) -- 98.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock, 1 layer of Spikes, and Leftovers recovery
Overall I feel offensive Sandslash will definitely have a place, and I can't wait to test it out a lot. I think it'll definitely compete with Hitmonchan as NU's premier hazard removal.

Now any of the peeps that were there when there was actually battles going on on QQ's server should remember how threatening this is. For some reason simply having the addition of Fighting type makes Pinsir an actual lord. While not being as dedicated a Psychic check now, it now becomes a much better Rock type check, and it can win games just by spamming it's STAB attacks. It's only weakness really is just getting screwed over by faster Pokemon, such as Scyther, and Pyroar. With the addition of Fighting type though, I feel that it becomes a much more solid Scarfer (not that SD is bad by any means), helping it destroy teams, especially with Moxie. Mold Breaker is still nice though for helping the CS set 2HKO Regirock, and for dealing with Unaware users.
252 Atk Life Orb Mold Breaker Pinsir Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 199-235 (50.5 - 59.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Mold Breaker Pinsir Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Regirock: 186-222 (51 - 60.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Mold Breaker Pinsir Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Miltank: 351-413 (89 - 104.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Life Orb Mold Breaker Pinsir X-Scissor vs. 240 HP / 252+ Def Musharna: 265-315 (61.2 - 72.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
So yeah Pinsir is pretty dumb. I feel like it's really solid, and pretty much our long awaited Sawk replacement. A big difference between this and Sawk though is that nobody runs Tanga Berry, because let's face it, Sawk checks were literally just Colbur Musharna, and Colbur Gourgeist.

B Rank:

Speaking of Sawk replacements, Primeape now gets Knock Off. Primeape still seems cool in theory, but compared to Pinsir, it's a poor Sawk replacement. Knock Off is nice and everything, but losing 20 base Attack relative to Sawk is still kind of depressing. On top of that it doesn't have Mold Breaker EQ to hit Weezing. It does have Defiant to mess up Defog users, but that pretty much forces it to run CC/KO/SE/U-turn to actually punish Defog users, meaning it doesn't have EQ for Garb. Really it still feels second rate to me, but anybody that is a fan of Primeape will likely appreciate this buff.
252 Atk Choice Band Primeape Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 240 HP / 252+ Def
Musharna: 218-258 (50.3 - 59.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Choice Band Primeape Knock Off vs. 240 HP / 252+ Def Musharna: 146-174 (33.7 - 40.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock 2 KO's = (84 - 99.6%)
Being able to almost consistently 2HKO non-Colbur Mushy is nice, so it has that going for it, and is overall a pretty decent Mon, just by basis of being a strong Fighting type.

Base 109 Attack Moxie Pyroar is pretty cool on paper. However personally using it, I had plenty of issues. It's like weaker Darmanitan, but without U-turn and all that. It has a decent enough movepool with Return, Flare Blitz, Wild Charge, and Iron Tail, but it just seems kind of hard to use, like worse Tauros. However it's still a pretty decent Mon, and it has the surprise factor of your opponent not knowing whether you're physical, special, or mixed.
252 Atk Life Orb Pyroar Wild Charge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Pelipper Satan: 328-390 (101.5 - 120.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Pyroar Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 208+ Def Mega Audino: 161-190 (39.2 - 46.3%) -- 24.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Life Orb Pyroar Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Rhydon: 146-172 (35.2 - 41.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Life Orb Pyroar Flare Blitz vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Steelix: 244-291 (69.3 - 82.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
So yeah, Pyroar is pretty cool. It can do work, but it's not amazingly powerful or anything.

Calm Mind Samurott is really cool. I've heard of 2 sets for this, which is as one would expect, the standard offensive CM Water type, then CM Rest Talk Crott?. CM Samurott is really nice as an extension of LO special Samurott, being able to check it's usual counters like Gastrodon with Grass Knot, and gaining Ice coverage, which is nice. I haven't personally tried this yet, but it looks pretty sweet.
252+ SpA Life Orb Samurott Hydro Pump vs. 64 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Magmortar: 315-374 (102.6 - 121.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252+ SpA Life Orb Samurott Grass Knot (60 BP) vs. 252 HP / 12 SpD Gastrodon: 572-676 (134.2 - 158.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Samurott Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 88+ SpD Eviolite Sliggoo: 250-294 (73.5 - 86.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Overall I think this looks like a great extension to special Rott, and will definitely make Samurott a lot scarier, since you don't know what set they may be running. It's certainly not garbage.

Speaking of garbage trust me, the cringe hurts me just as much as it hurts you, Garbodor is picking up the trash weaknesses that make him fallible kill me now. With the addition of Slack Off, it is a much more reliable Fighting check, and it has added longevity. Now it's not only a Spike stacker with amazing coverage, and a Fighting resist, but it also heals!! I feel this addition really helps, being able to fit over either Spike for moveslot space.
252+ Atk Life Orb Iron Fist Hitmonchan Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 160+ Def Garbodor: 109-129 (29.9 - 35.4%) -- 26.6% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Hariyama Close Combat
vs. 252 HP / 160+ Def Garbodor: 136-161 (37.3 - 44.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
As you can see, Garbodor walls Fighting types without EQ very well, and with Rocky Helmet can easily wear them down, forcing switches. And Garb loves forcing switches since it's role is literally to set up hazards, and switching out activates hazards. In conclusion, Slack Off is a great help for Garb. =D

Mr. Piloswine here also gets access to Slack Off now. Being an amazing SR setter with great offensive pressure, an amazing ability in Thick Fat, and now recovery, it's a pretty good Pokemon! Honestly this would probably be higher if not for having issues with taking down other walls, and Water types. It can kinda deal with some Water types now like Lanturn, but that's assuming no Scald burn. :(
0 SpA Lanturn Scald vs. 220 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Piloswine: 138-164 (34.8 - 41.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Tauros Rock Climb
vs. 220 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Piloswine: 165-196 (41.6 - 49.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (I guess you could say that's a bit of a... shaky check.)

So Piloswine can clearly take some hits. If people started using a more defensive spread it might be better mid-late game, so that could be interesting to try out.

So Laney here got Wish. A bit of an issue that comes from this is moveslot space, but it can still be fit on without having crucial issues. It's a pretty useful addition, with slow Volt Switch, and just appreciating the Wish in general. I'm not even gonna list calcs because everybody and their mother already knows how tanky Lanturn is.

I'm just gonna give a short analysis for this one, but everyone already knows how hard it is to chip away at this behemoth. Now it gets Solid Rock, so it can eat up EQ's and HP Grass' all day.
252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Tauros Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Solid Rock Regirock: 113-135 (31 - 37%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 SpA Vivillon Energy Ball vs. 252 HP / 56 SpD Solid Rock Regirock: 162-192 (44.5 - 52.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
Basically bulky Mon + more bulk = bulkier Mon.

So Mismagius got Fairy type. In terms of how useful this is, it's a much more reliable Fighting check, and it gets a secondary STAB that can beat Dark types (bar Sucker Punch, which can be played around with Sub, Will-O, PP stalling, switching, mindgames, etc.). I don't think this is super useful, but as a Nasty Plot sweeper, a secondary STAB makes it a lot scarier. The only real drawback is that it struggles against Lix more.
+2 252 SpA Mismagius Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 132 SpD Skuntank: 279-328 (80.4 - 94.5%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 SpA Mismagius Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Audino: 186-219 (45.3 - 53.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
So now it can actually hit Normal types and Dark types hard with STAB now, so that's a nice addition. Before it sets up it's still kinda shaky imo, but it's got some nice potential as a late game sweeper.

C Rank:
So everything else either isn't as good as these Mons listed above, or doesn't gain much for a longer shoutout, so C Rank and below will just be quick ramblings about why I feel one Mon is not as good in the meta, etc.

Gets Superpower, but can only really run it on Choice sets, but even then still not super great for getting 2HKO's, and hard to fit in general.
252 Atk Choice Band Scyther Superpower vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Rhydon: 200-236 (48.3 - 57%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Not even a 2HKO, and it gets an Attack drop.

Gets Analytic, but that's not particularly game changing or anything.

Gets Roost, but has to give up either Scald, Air Slash, Defog, or Toxic for it, and it appreciates all of those moves, especially in a meta where Lanturn isn't as likely to run Heal Bell.

Gets Drain Punch and Close Combat, but the physical set still has to give up it's coverage that it really likes having for Grass types and Gastrodon.

Gets Nasty Plot, but is arguably outclassed by both Mismagius, and Jynx.
(Issue with the Gen VI sprites, R.I.P.)
Gets Roost, making it a cool bulky Rotom thing. Maybe I am underrating it but defensive Flying types have always been difficult to get away with, for me at least. Still has a pretty decent edge over other defensive Mons though in having both Will-O Wisp, and Roost.

Gets EQ, but has difficulty fitting it on, and still does very little to Steel types. Still a nice win con though.

I've done the calcs, and while the addition of CC is nice, it doesn't give it much of an edge, and arguably it is still less useful than the special set in what it successfully checks.

Air Balloon Probopass, without the need for the Air Balloon! Levitate is cool and all, but meh typing still gives it some issues.

Swellow that doesn't mind clicking Boomburst on Steel types! Tinted Lens is nice, but it's damage output on neutral targets still makes it hard to justify with a lackluster Speed stat of 70.

Thanks to Eviolite, Phione is bulky! Too bad it's moveset is pretty empty, because for some reason Game Freak only likes Manaphy. With CM or something it could be pretty good, but until then all it does is fire off weak Scald's and Toxic.

Prankster lets it fire off priority Wish's and TWave's, but I never found it super vital to a team. It just kinda sat there whenever I used it, maybe a semi-offensive set with TWave could work? Seems like an outclassed wall to me though.

D Rank:

So Claydol got Recover, but it's still an outclassed hazard remover on most teams, and it has like 8 moves that it wants to run.

It got Guts, so if you wanna give up Aftermath to make it a better Scald switch in, and possibly run Sleep Talk to mess up Sleeper's, here's a gift to you. I still find Aftermath pretty clutch some matches though, and Guts isn't the best ability for this poor little guy.

It got Dark type and Strong Jaw, but after doing calcs, it still has pretty bad damage output for some reason, and is hard to justify with it's bad Speed stat.
:mad:
Sucker Punch is nice,allowing it to function a bit better outside of TR, but it's still super slow, and it gains little from Sucker.

Before it was a bad Mon. Now it's a bad Mon with Regenerator and Lightning Rod. Maybe someone can prove me wrong, but I still don't think it's very viable.

Proposed week one, Dark type Arbok was a pretty cool idea. However as the NU meta slowly shifted away from super dominant Psychic types, this became less and less relevant.

It got Skill Link and Pin Missile, giving it dual 125 base STAB attacks off of a 125 Attack stat. The only problem is it's Speed making it outclassed by pretty much everything else. This could maybe see some potential on Rain teams though, abusing Swift Swim.

Getting Spore and Toxic Spikes are cool, but after trying to build around abusing those 2 properties, I found it pretty hard. It already has issues fitting on Sleep Powder, so now on maybe half the sets you would find Spore over Sleep Powder, but other than that I feel like it's largely unchanged. There's like no room for TSpikes on it as is though, so it's kinda outclassed by Weezing and Garbodor in that department.

Rank E:
Everything else is either really really bad (Dodrio, Rapidash), or didn't get significant changes (Sliggoo, Mr. Mime, Rotom-Frost, Stunfisk).

Overall I find this metagame to be a bit more offensive than normal NU, as most metagames end up being. It still has decent defensive Pokemon though, and supports balance a lot (maybe stall, I haven't actually tested it, or seen it). The top tier threats I feel would really define the meta, so things like Quag would likely have a lot of usage, unless Quag becomes so common people don't want to bring them anymore. Not much else to say since it's only been played a handful of times, but I suggest you all come out and try it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)