Tournament OMPL V - Week 5

antemortem

THE ORIGINAL DAVE
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head

Other Metagames Premier League V - Week 5
>> SCHEDULE <<
>> STANDINGS <<
>> INFORMATION <<
How this works
Each team will have have 6 players and at least 2 subs. The players are bought using the 80 credits that managers receive during the auction. The roster this season include: Almost Any Ability, Anything Goes, Balanced Hackmons, Mix and Mega, Monotype, and Sketchmons. Teams can win their matchup every week by winning 4 of the 6 matches that their players have to play.​

Beating another team gives you 2 points, drawing the match gives you 1 point, and losing it gives you nothing. In addition, the manner in which you win will also be stored; that is, how many you won vs how many you lost. The two teams with the highest points at the end of week 5 will play in the finals.​

Tiebreaker
Every week's winning team will be given 2 points, ties will give 1 and loss will give 0. This is how it's going to progress and finally the teams with the 2 highest total points will duke it out in finals week. In the event of 2 teams being tied for the finals spot, we will have a tiebreaker round.

Tiebreaker round rules: The most played meta from usage stats plus one metagame picked by each manager will give a best-of-three game between the tied teams, ultimately deciding who goes onto finals.​

Trades
No trades may occur at this point.
Scheduling
Scheduling should be done on VM walls, plain and simple, and I'd like to exaggerate the importance of this. If there is no communication on VM walls and a game goes undone, it will be left to the RNG to decide the winner. If there is communication on only one user's behalf, the win will go to them. If there is a very healthy back and forth regarding potential times and one user is a no-show, a manager may take the opportunity to sub out the no-show competitor; if this is not done, the user that showed up responsibly will be awarded the win. Case in point: VM your opponents, schedule your matches, and be reliable. If you're not reliable, let your manager know so they can sub you out ASAP.
Sportsmanship
Exhibitions of unsportsmanlike conduct with regards to Other Metagame Premier League will be met with an infraction at the discretion of the OMPL host/OM mods. This is unlikely to include interactions within a team's private chat unless there is reason found to make an exception. This rule is meant to protect other users from being publicly flamed/bashed/provoked by another competitor for the duration of and following the tournament.​

On Deadline & Match Completion
All players must complete their matches by 11:59 on August 12th. Any incomplete matches by that time will be subject to activity decision (MAKE SURE YOU POST ON YOUR OPPONENT'S VM WALL IN AMPLE TIME TO SCHEDULE); otherwise, they will be decided via !pick publicly in the OM Room. All matches should ideally be done on your most notable alt (the one you registered for OMPL with) to avoid confusion and the replay must be saved and posted in this thread. The replays will be archived in the OMPL General Thread, and we will use them to calculate usage stats.

On Substitutions & Lineups
Managers, if you wish to make any substitutions, you must post here tagging both the player you're subbing out, the player you're subbing in, the manager and assistant manager of the opposing team, the substitute's opponent, and myself. This is to assure that everyone is in-the-loop and that the OP is updated accordingly to reflect the new match-up.

Managers, when you send in lineups, please send it in with the tier and Smogon username of each player fully written out (as shown below) for ease of transcription.

Matchups

The Optimistic Mimikyus (Pikachuun / OM room) VS (Uselesscrab / Peef Rimgar) The Accelerating Aegiblades

2-4 | 4-2

Almost Any Ability: Bluxio VS iLlama
Anything Goes: Catalystic VS Chloe.
Balanced Hackmons: motherlove VS TheBurgerKing99 (Halliday)
Mix and Mega: Zephyr Dragon Lord VS Quantum Tesseract
Monotype: Funbot28 VS Bushtush
Sketchmons: yoman5 VS Megazard

The King Kois (Eevee General / darksylvion) VS (Bondie / Dream Eater Gengar) The Untitled Unfezants

3-3 | 3-3

Almost Any Ability: darksylvion VS Akashi (jeran)
Anything Goes: PurpleGatorade VS Thimo
Balanced Hackmons: fsk VS jasprose
Mix and Mega: Chazm VS The Trap God
Monotype: Sabella VS Wanka
Sketchmons: ihhca (Virginia) VS Jrdn

The Bedroom Blisseys (The Immortal / E4 Flint) VS (Ransei / ScarfWynaut) The Five-Star Jolteons

3-3 | 3-3

Almost Any Ability: Laxpras VS Official Fissure
Anything Goes: Fardin VS HunterStorm
Balanced Hackmons: draegn VS morogrim
Mix and Mega: Mark_K VS InfernapeTropius11
Monotype: Leru VS Salvation
Sketchmons: The Ruins of Alpha VS Racool

Last edited:
Contacted, I am way too excited for my match than I should be.

Also, when's this week's deadline, thursday or saturday?

With my team eliminated from playoffs (but still winning this week, of course), I now have more time to devote to what really matters: my predictions, which obtain results only marginally better than flipping a coin to determine the winner of every match. Maybe I should let a coin manage an OMPL team instead of me next year. Anyway...

Almost Any Ability: darksylvion VS aesf - aesf is really skilled but I still don't see him as a consistent gen 7 player. On the other hand, if darksylvion's playing ability is comparable to his ability to burn lost heros (a pretty easy task, to be fair), he should take this one for the Kois.
Anything Goes: PurpleGatorade VS Thimo - Here we have the battle of people who lost to Chloe. Purple got a nice win last week, but I expect Thimo to be motivated to bounce back from his defeat last week in a crucial match for his team. Bring eleceus
Balanced Hackmons: fsk VS jasprose - While the Kois are searching for their first BH win of the year, jasp continues to excel. fsk is a decent player who probably won't switch in his Giratina in versus a Primal Groudon without scouting beforehand. An upset here wouldn't shock me, but it's going to require a lot of preparation from a team that hasn't churned out any sort of results in this meta yet this season. Free jrm
Mix and Mega: Chazm VS The Trap God - Not really sure how to pick this one. Chazm is decent but inconsistent, while TTG showed last week that his considerable ability to play Ubers (or at least inflict paralysis and use weird sets) transfers to some degree to OMs. Free magsyy tbh; at least that would make Peef happy
Monotype: Sabella VS Wanka - The Unfezants' mono-player choices have been pretty bizarre this year. Vid still hasn't played, while newly discovered mono god wishes pulled out a win last week, only to be replaced for this must-win game. Sabella has the better record this year and Wanka still only has one win in five OMPL games overall.
Sketchmons: ihhca (Virginia) VS Jrdn - If you follow these predictions, you know I don't take picking against Jrdn lightly. The experiment of putting him in Sketch to give aesf playing opportunities was a smart one, but has had mixed results so far. Going with the upset (?) here.

Almost Any Ability: Laxpras VS The Official Glyx - Glyx could probably win without species clause in place, but apparently going for only 9k is enough to inspire some sort of crazy vengeance tour from Laxpras. I'm done picking against him at this point. Bold prediction: there will be hax involved
Anything Goes: Fardin VS HunterStorm - Not to say "I told you so," but the Jolteons (I almost wrote "Pikachus" here...deja vu) went with what I called a "haha xD" choice in Pepa last week (over 1-1 Hunter and 1-0 Salvation) and ended up tying instead of winning, a move which now puts them in a shaky 6-point position going into the final week, with the Unfezants within striking distance. The AG player pool might be the single most challenging in OMPL, but that doesn't change the fact that Fardin is 1-3.
Balanced Hackmons: draegn VS morogrim - In the battle of Flint sidekicks (from this year and last), I expect morogrim to come out on top. Kind of weird to see draegn here rather than "prize-fighter" Flint considering the fact that the Blisseys aren't even guaranteed a spot in the finals; in fact, a loss and an Unfezants win would force them into a tiebreaker. Maybe they'll do the last-minute sub thing they did last year if the result is in question...idk, still kind of a strange choice.
Mix and Mega: Mark_K VS InfernapeTropius11 - IT11 has made quite the statement this year with his undefeated record. Mark has also proven a lot of people wrong by going 2-2 (oddly, he lost to jeran and zephyr) when some doubters had incredibly low expectations, but I still don't see him taking this one.
Monotype: 1 True Lycan VS terrors - Wouldn't be surprised to see an activity call or a Leru / DBW sub here, for obvious reasons
Sketchmons: The Ruins of Alpha VS Racool - The racool-in-sketch dream is finally a reality, with Fissure underperforming so far. Last week was a sign that the BLR magic has potentially run out, though I have to admit that it would be entertaining to see a fourth bizarre victory for drampa.

edit: actually don't free magsyy LOL

Last edited:

lost heros

Meme Master
This a very exciting week 5 (except for Mimikyus and Aegiblades) where the two highest seeds, jolteons and blisseys, are going against each other for the finals spots and then the third highest seed, Unfezants, are going against the Kois, currently in last.

Effectively, there are three outcomes for each of the sets, a win, a loss, or a tie, meaning there are a total of 9 potential outcomes after the end of this week.

Blisseys beat Jolteons, and Unfezants beat Kois

Blisseys would emerge with an amazing record of 4-0-1 a total of 9 points securing their place in the finals. Jolteons would unfortunately be at 2-1-2 with only 6 points, while the Unfezants would be 3-1-1 at 7 points.

Finals: Blisseys vs Unfezants

Blisseys and Jolteons tie, and Unfezants beat Kois

Blisseys would be at 3-0-2 and 8 points, edging out the Jolteons and Unfezants at 7 points each.

Finals: Blisseys vs Tiebreaker Winner

Jolteons beat Blisseys, and Unfezants beat Kois

Jolteons would emerge at 3-0-2 and 8 points edging out Blisseys and Unfezants at 7 points each.

Finals: Jolteons vs Tiebreaker Winner

Blisseys beat Jolteons, and Unfezants and Kois tie

Blisseys would come out with a dominant 9 points. While Jolteons and Unfezants would have 2-1-2 records and 6 points.

Finals: Blisseys vs Tiebreaker Winner

Any other scenario where Unfezants don't beat Kois and the Blisseys don't beat Jolteons

If the Unfezants don't beat the Kois, they're stuck at 6 points or 5 points depending on whether they tie or not.
However, in any situation where the Jolteons get points either from a tie or a win, both the Jolteons and the Blisseys would have at least 7 points.

Finals: Blisseys vs Jolteons

Tldr: Unfezants need to win to stand a chance for finals, and there are three different ways we get a tie breaker.

lost heros

Meme Master
could someone clarify what actually happens in one of these "tiebreakers"?
From the information post:

Tiebreaker round rules: The most played meta from usage stats plus one metagame picked by each manager will give a best-of-three game between the tied teams, ultimately deciding who goes onto finals.

So as this is the final week I figured its as good a time as any to make my first predictions.

Almost Any Ability: Bluxio VS iLlama- honestly I have no clue about this one. On the one hand illama didnt quite live up to fardin's hype, on the other hand he should be a better player than bluxio. I can see it going either way, so imma predict hax to decide the match.
Anything Goes: GmU pokeboss9 Catalystic VS Chloe.- Firstly, FREE DONNO!! Also, chloe is finishing this positive 100%
Balanced Hackmons: Motherlove vs TheBurgerKing99 (Halliday)- Both are well known as good bh players, this seems like a fun match to watch!
Mix and Mega: Zephyr Dragon Lord VS Quantum Tesseract- Once again I really have no idea. Before this ompl this woulda been a no brainer, QT to win. But QT has had his fair share of shock losses this ompl so I can see the upset too.
Monotype: Clearly VS Bushtush- Just call activity
Sketchmons: yoman5 VS Megazard- I mean so long as he doesnt rely on a sacred fire burn, esteemed omgs winner should win this.

Almost Any Ability: darksylvion VS aesf - This is a seriously big match in this tie, and I reckon it will be a close one. On the one hand, aesf is incredible at aaa but a bit rusty, on the otherhand geerat is pretty up to date with everything and a really good player. Aesf does have jrdn to help him tho so this one could go either way.
Anything Goes: PurpleGatorade VS Thimo- predicting the upset out of nowhere. GO KOIS!!!
Balanced Hackmons: fsk VS jasprose- idk bh, but jasp seems like a solid player, and idk fsk.
Mix and Mega: Chazm VS The Trap God- Im going for the only name I recognise here, chazm is a solid enough player to win I think.
Monotype: Sabella VS Wanka- free Vid
Sketchmons: ihhca (Virginia) VS Jrdn- Out of everyone, the one person I would be most scared of playing in sketch is jrdn (even slightly more than OF) cos his teams are just way too heat. Although this is another highlight match cos ihhca is just such a good player in general.

Almost Any Ability: Laxpras VS The Official Glyx Official Fissure- Despite receiving Glyx's blessings this will still be a tough one for Fiss as he is up against the mighty 10-0-ness of lax.
Anything Goes: Fardin VS HunterStorm- Highlight match, i recall fardin mentioning several times during tryouts that he beat hunter in a bo3 twice, so the real question is can he back up his smack talk? If hunter can dodge hax for at least 2 of the games (a feat in itself) he could have this, but idk AG enough to predict this one.
Balanced Hackmons: draegn VS morogrim- Moro educated me that draegn started out in fact as moro's pupil, so this seems to be a classic pupil vs master duel. I dont think the film has progressed enough to the point where the pupil overtakes the master, so moro should have this (although as i said earlier i have 0 clue about bh)
Mix and Mega: Mark_K VS InfernapeTropius11- Do I even need to say it at this point?
Monotype: 1 True Lycan VS terrors- terrors is gonna do me a solid and win so that my match isnt the decider:)
Sketchmons: The Ruins of Alpha vs Racool- I shall be pleading the fifth on this one

Highlight Matches:
Motherlove vs TheBurgerKing99 (Halliday)
Fardin VS HunterStorm
ihhca (Virginia) VS Jrdn
darksylvion VS aesf

Looking forward to this week, GO KOIS AND JOLTEONS!

let's make some predictions

Almost Any Ability: Bluxio VS iLlama - No standout player but I'mma pick iLlama cause Fardin says he's good :I
Anything Goes: GmU pokeboss9 VS Chloe. - Chloe is gonna end strong, shoulda played GmU in BH imo
Edit: I see Catalystic was subbed in, but Chloe is still winning
Balanced Hackmons: Funbot28 VS TheBurgerKing99 (Halliday) - Funbot is a jack of all trades, master of none. TBK should get the W.
Edit: motherlove was subbed in. This should be a more even matchup but I'm still going with TBK cause he has more BH experience and he beat Flint.
Mix and Mega: Zephyr Dragon Lord VS Quantum Tesseract - Former assistant manager QT will triumph
Monotype: Clearly VS Bushtush
Sketchmons: yoman5 VS Megazard - yoman has nothing to lose and Megazard has nothing to gain so it could be closer than one might think

Almost Any Ability: darksylvion VS aesf - I can't pick, they are pretty equal (equally beneath Laxpras that is :^))
Anything Goes: PurpleGatorade VS Thimo - Thimo may have lost last week but he's still the goat
Balanced Hackmons: fsk VS jasprose - PO sucks
Mix and Mega: Chazm VS The Trap God - Chazm hasn't played too well but he puts in the effort so I think he'll learn from his mistakes in previous weeks
Monotype: Sabella VS Wanka
Sketchmons: ihhca (Virginia) VS Jrdn - You payed 17500 for jrdn to play him in Sketchmons? OK.

Last edited:

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7sketchmons-613969653
first halfway decent game I've had this ompl and even then I got to know all the sets thanks to last week's replay which really helped me. gg tho dude

Second OMPL I've been on the historical footnote team of not too crappy but not good enough to make it to finals, wouldve liked to see some better luck this season than the massive tilt we got but we probably wouldnt have qualified anyway. I had a lot of fun building and working with the team tho even if my games were lol, everyone was fun but special s/o to Uselesscrab and Peef Rimgar for drafting a team that was great to be on even if we (me at least) failed to beat some teams we really should've on paper and ought to have done better for you guys than just being better kois and kyus (let's at least finish strong this week team!).
And now I will proceed to sit on my ass, hype up OMGS, and act like I'm still the best despite a 2-3 finish for another 10 months

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)