NU Player of the Week - Eternally [week 3]

Eternally
Favorite Pokémon:
Altaria
Most used Pokémon: Sceptile
Most known for: Being NU's Australian player and my Ducklett avatar
Earth: Hi, Eternally! How are you?
Eternally: I'm doing great! just chilling after a long day out.

Earth: How did you get into competitive Pokémon, and more specifically NU?
Eternally: Well I've always played Pokemon from when I was a kid, my favorite game ever was Pokemon Emerald back in 2004, but it wasnt until about three years ago that a friend of mine from school showed me Pokemon Showdown that I really got interested in the competitive aspect of it. I actually started out playing RU to begin with, I made a really bad team around Lickilicky and Typhlosion which was pretty fun, but it wasn't until around November 2015 that NU caught my eye, and I've stuck with it ever since. There's something fun about being able to use Pokemon that you like and used in-game that almost feels more rewarding as a player, I just always felt more comfortable learning the ropes of competitive play in this tier I guess.

Earth: You’re an analysis writer, you contribute to the NU Subforum, you're a NU tutor and you also rated a couple teams in ORAS. What’s your favorite thing to do?
Eternally: My favorite would definitely be writing analysis's and working with the rest of the NU QC team. As someone who's hoping to be a teacher in the future, the experience that analysis writing gives me is pretty helpful, as well as being able to work with a team of different people and discuss things. The QC team is really cool and we all get along pretty well, I actually really started getting involved in the NU community after boltsandbombers asked me to join the team, and they really welcomed me and inspired me to contribute. I enjoy all the contributions I do though, tutoring is a fun one, great opportunity to meet new people and help out the future of the tier, and forum projects are a really important part of developing the community from a bunch of strangers to a group of people sharing a common enjoyment in something.

Earth: Is there any Pokemon that should be suspect tested, or banned in the current metagame, to you?
Eternally: I'm probably a bit less conservative about how I think the tier should head compared to others, but at this point in time I'd like to see Slowbro suspected. I think it's definitely a tricky case, because while it isn't outright broken, it would be hard to argue that it isn't one of, if not the most centralizing Pokemon in the tier right now, and it really creates this facade of covering up other Pokemon which would otherwise be bigger issues. That being said, I can understand why people would disagree, I just feel that if something is dictating the tier in such a way that it becomes near mandatory on specific teams, it's at least worth being discussed. If Slowbro were to leave though, I could definitely see it having a domino effect on the tier, opening up a lot of scary things like Emboar to become bigger issues, obviously that's just speculation now. Apart from my obvious dislike for Slowbro, I think the current suspect Meloetta is a good step in the right direction and I'll most likely be voting ban on that unless my mind gets changed while laddering for reqs. Machamp is another controversial one that I could see getting tested, though I'm not as clear cut on that one.

Earth: What are some underrated / unexplored Pokemon that deserve more love?
Eternally: Prinplup is a fun one I've been playing around with, reliable hazard remover that can deal with our three most common setters, and serves as a semi-decent check to stuff like Slowbro, Emboar, and Typhlosion. Obviously not amazing but definitely something that could see a little usage. Malamar is definitely underrated atm, a lot of those generic Slowbro / Steelix / Golbat balance teams just fold to the traditional resttalk set, and even Z-Happy Hour is pretty solid in sweeping through faster teams. Vikavolt is cool too, but it's been picking up a lot of steam lately, so it's not really underrated anymore.

Earth: What's your favorite playstyle, and why?
Eternally: Probably bulky offense, just because it's easier to play with and the games go faster compared to something like balance or stall. Also has more flexibility since you dont necessarily have to check everything defensively, I'm not too strict with what playstyle I use though, I'm comfortable with any and prefer playing with a variety instead of sticking to one which can get boring.

Earth: Who are some of your best friends here? Do you have any memorable experience you've shared with them?
Eternally: Honestly I have a great relationship with almost all of the NU community, but particularly Earth is someone I love talking to all the time, rozes, the clef clef gang, , I could probably go on for ages, but you all know who you are. Making friends with so many great people in the community is one of the best experiences I've had since joining NU, and I never stop meeting new people and getting to know others. I've had lots of memorable experiences, but some of the best have been our PMs which I won't talk about here LOL, and just chilling in discord with different people and talking.

Earth: Let’s talk a bit about IRL! Could you tell us more about yourself?
Eternally: Sure, I'm 18 going through my last two months of school atm, hopefully if all goes well I'll be starting uni next year to become an english teacher (exciting, I know). I play tennis in my spare time with friends, though not as much as I used to with school coming to its peak lately, and a bit of soccer when I've got time. I've got three goldfish and a pet bunny called Fuzzball who loves watching me play PS. I've travelled a little, been to Greece, Italy, Switzerland, and the USA which was pretty fun and collect souvenirs from everywhere I go, so I've got a collection of stuff from all around the world to remind me of good stuff. As most people know, I'm from Australia and It's actually pretty similar to the USA unless you live in the outback lol, no wild animals everywhere and no crocodiles in the beach. I enjoy keeping up with politics and I try to read a lot, but right now I'm just focused on learning Shakespeare lol.

Earth: Who are your favorite musical artists?
Eternally: Well I love all types of music, it's one of my favorite ways to spend time and something that bonds me with a lot of my friends irl. I like all sorts of genres, pop like Rihanna, Justin Timberlake, Britney Spears, The Weeknd, R&B like Aloe Blacc, Brandy, John Legend, hiphop like Kendrick, Kanye, Nicki, Ice Cube and some oldschool stuff that most people would've never heard of lol. I'm pretty open to any type of music except country which I hate, literally the worst. Sometimes I listen to this random classical radio station while I study to relax and focus, so that's cool too.

Earth: Going back to NU a bit, which teams do you think will get to playoffs and which one will eventually win, all bias aside?
Eternally: The Houndooms have been a really strong team throughout the whole tour, and seem to be the guys to beat right now. The Lilligants are also doing pretty well and proved everyone wrong, which is nice to see as they were underdogs coming in, so I think those two could definitely be it. Of course it's hard to go against your own team though, and I think the Vivs are still in it with just as much of a shot to win, we've got a good spread of players and I believe we could make it all the way to the end.

Earth: Finally, could you share a team and briefly explain it?
Eternally:

Malamar @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 HP / 144 SpD / 112 Spe
Careful Nature
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Emboar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower
- Wild Charge
- Brick Break

Slowbro @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Toxic
- Signal Beam
- Slack Off

Sceptile @ Life Orb
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Earthquake

Steelix @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 244 HP / 136 Atk / 128 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam
- Curse

Golbat @ Eviolite
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Defog
- Super Fang

I made this team around RestTalk Malamar which I think is a huge threat atm, since the meta tends to shift from periods where Malamar is super prepared for, to times when it gets forgotten. I added Scarf Emboar and LO Sceptile to give the team speed and in general they just work extremely well on any offense team and can clean up what's left after Malamar finishes. Slowbro is the best catch-all to fighting-types in the tier, and you can catch a lot of CM Slowbros and Vaporeon off guard with Toxic, while Signal Beam is there to fend off opposing Malamar. I came up with Curse Steelix to deal with BU Braviary which is really annoying to a lot of balance teams, but it also helps with getting past Golbat and some variants of Xatu. Finally, Golbat is a great secondary check to Fighting- and Grass-types, gives some good hazard control, and works well in tandem with Slowbro. I usually switch the 4th move depending on how I'm feeling, Toxic is a great option to help get past Sub BU Braviary, while Heat Wave can help you get past Steelix more comfortably, I've even tried Giga Drain to stop Barbaracle from setting up freely, and it wasn't too bad. Overall, It's a pretty simply and generic team that covers most things pretty well, and I think it's a good reflection of balance in the current meta.

Thanks for your time, Eternally! If you guys have any question for him, feel free to ask them down below. :heart:

yogi

I did not succumb...
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hahahahaha, bit late for an April Fools joke?...

Fave meme?

Fave memer?

Least fave meme?

Least fave memer?

Fave loss to me?

Last edited:
  • Who are the hidden gems to pick up in NU? (for the snake draft)
  • Have you ever seen a kangaroo?
  • Like scheduling with every other country that doesn't have that insane timezone?
  • Favorite mon to use in SM NU?
  • Which mons would you give a retest of the ones that are banned?
  • Which mons would you want to are coming to nu from ru?
  • Which players do you look up to?

Last edited:

etern

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a defending SCL Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
NU Leader
Hahahahaha, bit late for an April Fools joke?...

Fave meme?

Fave memer?

Least fave meme?

Least fave memer?

Fave loss to me?
work up noctowl
yogibears
yogibears
yogibears
???

• Who are the hidden gems to pick up in NU? (for the snake draft)
  • Have you ever seen a kangaroo?
  • Like scheduling with every other country that doesn't have that insane timezone?
  • Favorite mon to use in SM NU?
  • Which mons would you give a retest of the ones that are banned?
  • Which mons would you want to are coming to nu from ru?
  • Which players do you look up to?
Dundies is playing really well lately, BigAir and Neomn have shown promise and are worth looking out for, Shadestep is underrated and definitely worth it.
Yes a couple of times, one tried to steal a sandwich from me once.
It's annoying sometimes but I sleep pretty late so its OK.
Definitely Sceptile, with Malamar and Emboar up there.
None of them, they'd all still be pretty bad I think, maybe P2 if I had to pick one.
Blastoise for sure, we need some better hazard control, Mega Audino, and even though it probably wont happen, Araquanid.
Lots, but if I narrowed it down to 2, ict and realistic waters.

why is ducklett in your avi but altaria is your fav mon

most overrated mon in nu

what's a mon you really want to see drop from lower tiers

are there ducks in austrailia

you mentioned you were learning about shakespeare, what are your thoughts on him and do you still think it's necessary to learn / read about his work

thots on me

favourite disocrd emote
Ducklett is my fave but I wanted to pick a mon viable in NU v: (altaria is my second favorite anyway)
Incineroar easily, it's really mediocre imo, good role compression on paper but mediocre in practice. Uxie is a close second since I think the meta is extremely unkind to it atm, but the SR set is pretty solid.
Yes everywhere, we've got lots of lakes and rivers near parks where they just all come together in flocks, they especially love being fed pieces of bread.
Yeah I think Shakespeare gets a lot of flack because people find it hard to understand, but it's a lot easier to learn and interpret once you learn the context and read critical analysis', he's a great playwright to study in the sense that you dont just learn about random themes and english techniques, but a whole time period and their different ways of thinking, and the way they dealt with issues of human nature which are still relevant today.
cool user :>
:duck: or :imtriggered:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)